The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Mercenary really zos...

craigr02
craigr02
✭✭✭
It's funny that they decided to put mercenary in the crown store. I give the mercenary motifs away! You can't even make 500 gold on it. It would be nice to see ancient orc or Alkavari offered. I would buy that. I won't however pay what people want for orc or alkavari in guild stores, or spend all my time farming that ap required or in wrothgar farming for the orc. Oh well. Some people might want it yet.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    They're lowering the drop rate.
    Motifs
    • Fixed an issue that was preventing the full book for the Ebonheart Pact style from correctly granting the reader knowledge of that style.
    • Reduced the drop rate of Mercenary Motif chapters. They will now drop approximately one-fourth as often as they did previously from any given rank of Undaunted chests.
      • This change does not impact the drop rates of Laurels.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • craigr02
    craigr02
    ✭✭✭
    So what I'm hearing is to make sure they sale the motif, they are going to reduce the rates so people purchase them. I would purchase the others, but the market is over saturated.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I agree that the market is completely saturated, and the in-game drop rate reduction is a good thing to clear out some stock at guild traders and help the market for this motif to rebound.

Why is why I also agree that it's odd that they put this one up in the Crown Store instead of ones that are much harder to get. How many people will really purchase this for $50, when it's so cheap in-game? It will take a while for stock to deplete enough for in-game prices to rise, so it would have made more sense to introduce this motif later, after the in-game market for the pages rebounds.
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    craigr02 wrote: »
    It's funny that they decided to put mercenary in the crown store. I give the mercenary motifs away! You can't even make 500 gold on it. It would be nice to see ancient orc or Alkavari offered. I would buy that. I won't however pay what people want for orc or alkavari in guild stores, or spend all my time farming that ap required or in wrothgar farming for the orc. Oh well. Some people might want it yet.
    craigr02 wrote: »

Next time you give one away,..think of me.Please? XD
  • revonine
    revonine
    ✭✭✭✭
    Putting it in the Crown Store and lowering the drop rate. Subtle ZOS, very subtle >_>
  • staracino_ESO
    staracino_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know there is a massive surplus of Merc motifs, but as customers of this game we should not abide by them lowering the drop rates to coincide with it entering the Crown Store. This sets a horrible precedent for future Crown Store behavior.
    What if they do it with Ancient Orc? Or what if they triple the costs of Akaviri motifs before adding them to the store?
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lowering the drop rate is a good thing. It will increase the probability of getting a shoulder from the undaunted chest vs. a merc motif. The motifs currently are inadvertently lowering the drop rate for shoulders.
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Anyone who wants the Merc motif, has already bought the entire set of pages from guild venders for about 10k - 15k, (maybe lower now). What I want to know is if the Merc style mats will be on sale on the crown store.

Meanwhile I've only seen 1 Ancient Orc page drop in all the time I've been grinding those dungeons, and theres no way I'll ever have enough AP or gold to buy even one page of the Akaviri motifs.
    Edited by starlizard70ub17_ESO on March 3, 2016 3:45PM
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Anyone who wants the Merc motif, has already bought the entire set of pages from guild venders for about 10k - 15k, (maybe lower now). What I want to know is if the Merc style mats will be on sale on the crown store.
    Actually, yes the style stone will be available in the crown store. It's called a Mimic stone.
    Meanwhile I've only seen 1 Ancient Orc page drop in all the time I've been grinding those dungeons, and theres no way I'll ever have enough AP or gold to buy even one page of the Akaviri motifs.

It's not that hard to get AP or gold. I bought most of the Ancient Orc pages (have the full set), and I am far from broke. I thought I'd never have enough AP for the Akaviri set, but engaged in PVP with this as a partial goal (skills being the other). After two months, I could get Akaviri, but I won't because the price is way too high compared with the effort and cost of ALL other motifs. But my decision not to get Akaviri is a separate issue. After a relatively short time, I've earned the AP for it if I so desired.

Edited by Ourorboros on March 3, 2016 4:06PM
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • MarcoPolo
    MarcoPolo
    ✭✭✭
    I know and then dont even put a option to just buy laurels, if someone wants merc pages all they gotta do is go on area chat and ask there are loads of people giving them away iv started to destroy them as I had about 80 mixed pages because they just wont sell, drop the drop rate I dont think it will make a difference there is so many of the pages around
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cuyler wrote: »
    Lowering the drop rate is a good thing. It will increase the probability of getting a shoulder from the undaunted chest vs. a merc motif. The motifs currently are inadvertently lowering the drop rate for shoulders.

Uh. No?

Motifs and shoulders aren't mutually exclusive, you know. Whether one drops in a chest has absolutely no bearing on whether the other drops. I've gotten both in the chest plenty of times.

I've opened over 200 Undaunted chests since Orsinium's launch. And I did this in two separate opening sessions of around 100 or so keys each time, where it's much easier to get a feel of the drop rate than doing so once per day. And based on what I got from that, I see absolutely no reason to believe that your statement is true.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • mb10
    mb10
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    They should really lower the drop rate to about 10% of what it was before because there are WAY too many motifs out there for this now.

Btw 3000 crowns for the set??????

Thieves guild DLC is 2000 crowns btw... put that in perspective
  • Moozzie
    Moozzie
    ✭✭
    mb10 wrote: »
    They should really lower the drop rate to about 10% of what it was before because there are WAY too many motifs out there for this now.

Its a bit out of context because of the huge drop rate the motif had. But if it had a way rare drop rate then the price would have been good. Buying motifs will then spare you a lot of ingame time or ingame gold.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    mb10 wrote: »

They're always going to charge more for cosmetic items than DLC, since they want people to buy new content and play it, but they need other items to bring in additional revenue. The motifs are priced where they are so that they can make money from those who would rather just buy the motif with real money than spend the time in-game farming the motifs or earning gold to purchase from other players. If these motifs were cheaper, then I think there would be more complaints and it would start to really affect the in-game economy.

That said, this motif is only 3000 as opposed to 5000 like the other rare motifs (Imperial, Xivkyn, Glass, Dwemer). But who's really going to buy it, since they're so cheap right now. Lowering the drop rate should have been done a while ago, as it's far too high compared to the others. But, I suspect it was set high due to all the initial hand-wringing about having to know pages in order to get the Laurels to drop.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on March 4, 2016 7:35PM