The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Epic (or should I say Legendary Fail)

Acharnor
Acharnor
✭✭✭✭
Take heed crafters so that you may learn from the error of my ways. I was at the Julianos Crafting Station making some gold light armour. Made two pieces, shoulders and shoes - then added the kuta enchants only to have my son point out to me that I did not select the Julianos and had crafted regular gear. Curse holler swear - he was right. So I wasted two Kutas, 16 Dreugh wax, 260 Ancestor silk, a laurel, 8 purple upgrade mats. I was gutted.

Has anyone else made a stupid mistake like this. Share your shame. We can support each other. Or am I the only knuckle head playing this game. (I'm not totally hopeless - the day before I had made chest, hood and legs - correctly)
Celebrate for life is short but sweet for certain.
  • Zaldan
    Zaldan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Acharnor wrote: »
    Take heed crafters so that you may learn from the error of my ways. I was at the Julianos Crafting Station making some gold light armour. Made two pieces, shoulders and shoes - then added the kuta enchants only to have my son point out to me that I did not select the Julianos and had crafted regular gear. Curse holler swear - he was right. So I wasted two Kutas, 16 Dreugh wax, 260 Ancestor silk, a laurel, 8 purple upgrade mats. I was gutted.

Has anyone else made a stupid mistake like this. Share your shame. We can support each other. Or am I the only knuckle head playing this game. (I'm not totally hopeless - the day before I had made chest, hood and legs - correctly)

Ouch, done that couple of times but luckily I noticed before improving etc :)
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.
    Niidro tiid wah fusvok dirkah.

aka.@Cuthceol
  • Acharnor
    Acharnor
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the problem was I was doing it with my controller hooked up and the UI is different so I did not notice. I cried in guild chat and quickly was donated 16 new Dreugh wax to try again. Good guild!!
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Done it before but never with v16 mats. It is so stupid that you can craft regular gear at a set crafting station. A better question to ask is: how many times have you been at the julianos/hundings/etc crafting station and thought "a regular sword is just what I need!"
  • phreatophile
    phreatophile
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did something like this with a piece Medium V16 legs. I was one short of 100% improving because I wasn't paying attention.

That was a lot of Rubedo Leather to lose.
  • Cillion3117
    Cillion3117
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel you pain man. Been there, done that.
  • DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes made two Nirn swords and one Nirn fire staff at Julianos benches. Oops forgot to select Julianos and had then on regular I was real tired (first mistake) 3 am. Something looked funny but could not figure it out then it came to me in a sweat. It's was not for me and was for a guild mate, the RNG smiled upon me as I got all three Nirn back but literally lost 90 percent rubedite and ruby ask wood.
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
  • Paazhahdrimaak
    Paazhahdrimaak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done it too..
  • Acharnor
    Acharnor
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ughh - well me fellows I am glad it is not just me. And I have never made a regular piece of gear at a crafting station - ever! I was determined to get the gear made though so went and bought some more silk. Thanks to my guildie and having a stock of Kutas it was less painful . . . . . but still, you know, painful!
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I made a nirnhoned resto staff once, when i wanted to make a precise. I bought nirn weapons that I intend to research, and I forgot all about them and ended up vendoring them along with other dungeon loot pieces. I've wasted 10+ kutas on making enchantments with the wrong level potency runes..... >.< I don't want to think of my other mistakes atm. it hurts too much, my butthurt is over 9000!
  • Acharnor
    Acharnor
    ✭✭✭✭
    I made a nirnhoned resto staff once, when i wanted to make a precise. I bought nirn weapons that I intend to research, and I forgot all about them and ended up vendoring them along with other dungeon loot pieces. I've wasted 10+ kutas on making enchantments with the wrong level potency runes..... >.< I don't want to think of my other mistakes atm. it hurts too much, my butthurt is over 9000!

Yea - potency runes can be trouble - I have made more than a few incorrect level glyphs.

Did you vendor them in a guild or an NPC merchant? You can buy them back from an NPC. But there might be a time limit or quantity limit on that.
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea - potency runes can be trouble - I have made more than a few incorrect level glyphs.

Did you vendor them in a guild or an NPC merchant? You can buy them back from an NPC. But there might be a time limit or quantity limit on that.

NPC vendor .. I remembered that I carried nirnhoned items 3 days and around 20 dungeon runs later Q.Q

Everytime we get a new update with new potencies, I mess things up, because I forget to use the new ones, and waste kutas like that.
  • llllADBllll
    llllADBllll
    ✭✭✭
    I've deconstructed 2 Blood Spawn Shoulders while rushing deconstructing ancestor silk and I was sent 220 Rubedite to craft a friend 2 Nirnhoned Torugs Swords and make them Purple..... You know what happened next. Had to gank in the sewers all day to get the mats back.... TAXIIII
    CRAFTMASTER - DAGGERFALL EU XBOX ONE

GAMERTAG - DJANTBOWMAN

Tamriel Trading Company Guildmaster
  • Acharnor
    Acharnor
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sad stories all, have some Argonian Ale or Skooma - whatever floats your boat.
  • Dread_Guy
    Dread_Guy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never had something as drastic as that happen to me, but I have a pretty awful tale.

I was making an armor master set for a friend and as you know, armor master is found in IC. Some jokers decided to start a dueling spot right in front of the crafting door and the EPs and ADs wouldn't let me walk by even though I was holding block and approaching them slowly. In the end, I killed them all (multiple times because they kept responding and coming back while I was dealing with the rest). I crafted the armor fine, but I was using a faulty controller that would move to the left even when you don't use it. Right before I improved the armor to gold, the controller moved so it was using 7 tempers instead of 8. 90% chance means I failed of course and all that work resulted in 150 ingots and 7 tempers lost

I just love how 90% means 90% TO FAIL. I've never had a % below 100% work for me
    "My name is Julius Decimus Heraclius, Guildmaster of the Scions of the Sun, Brigadier of the Covenant Army, loyal servant to the High King Emeric. Brother to a betrayed legion, son to a fallen empire. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next." ---Julius Decimus Heraclius (Imperial Templar)
  • Skinzz
    Skinzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lmao just the other day i crafted 7pc hundings by accident instead of 5. Then i decon'd and recrafted the wrong pieces right after that. Loat about 42k gold in rubedo but thank god the pieces were only purple.
    Anybody got a group? LFG, anybody? Hello?
  • Acharnor
    Acharnor
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to be enjoying all these fails so much. Misery loves company.
  • Duiwel
    Duiwel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just love how 90% means 90% TO FAIL. I've never had a % below 100% work for me

Sorry for your loss.. but thank you for the 6 pack abs... ( from all the laughing )

OP I have never done this with legendary gear, so I cannot imagine the pain you must have felt.

Stay strong & you are right, good guild!
    @Duiwel:
    Join ORDER OF SITHIS We're recruiting! PC EU

"Dear Brother. I do not spread rumours. I create them..."
  • Ghanima_Atreides
    Ghanima_Atreides
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done something similar - I made the right set pieces and everything but after improving them I noticed that I hadn't chosen any traits for them. And I had made ALL 7 pieces too. Fortunately, this was on the PTS where I was testing something; had this been on live the raging would've been legendary.
    [The Beauty of Tamriel] My collection of ESO screenshots

Show me a completely smooth operation and I'll show you someone who's covering mistakes. Real boats rock.
  • NoMaassPliz
    NoMaassPliz
    ✭✭

When Orsinium dropped, I went straight for the Julianos station. Had all my mats and tempers ready to go. Crafted a full five piece v16 set and golded it all out before noticing I hadn't put traits on a SINGLE PIECE. Luckily I hadn't enchanted yet, but that was several hundred mats and 40 wax down the drain. Lesson learned.
  • Acharnor
    Acharnor
    ✭✭✭✭
    So much sadness! :'(
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it makes you feel any better, I was trying to delete a character and had my pointer hovered over it and highlighted the one I wanted to delete, then went to the bottom and clicked Delete, looked up and the character was still highlighted and then typed the word Delete and Poof my nearly two year old character Max character at the top of my list was gone. The problem was I did not actually click on the character I wanted to delete and even though the one I wanted to delete was still highlighted I never noticed that the name was wrong in the delete box because I had not clicked on it.

Fortunately I was not only recording to see my mistake and figure out what went wrong, but it was on the PTS, so I was able to learn from my mistake without it costing me permanently. If I would have done this on live, I probably would have been so disgusted I would have left the game for good.

Hopefully threads like this can make folks aware and not make the same mistakes some of us have.

By the way I've done that crafting thing as well just not with gold mats (thankfully).
    Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%

• Acharnor
    Acharnor
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was feeling sick for you there! If I lost my main I would be devastated.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Created V16 gold staff with nirn. Enchanted prismatic gold. Went to equip it... and realized I hadn't gone to the armor set location and had just crafted it standing at a regular woodworking table.

This is what happens when you come back from vacation.
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was feeling sick for you there! If I lost my main I would be devastated.

Trust me I felt plenty sick and had that initial gut punch feeling for a good bit. it took me a moment or two to realize It wasn't my Live character that I had just deleted.
    Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%

• SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That has been broken since beta. Someone did a detailed test back then and 90% apparently means something completely different to ZOS programmers than to the rest of us.
    dry.gif
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In the past I might have done some of the following:

- Forgotten to craft a set piece instead of a normal piece.
    - Forgotten to add a trait.
    - Switched between pieces of gear forgetting that the VR level reset, creating VR9 instead of VR14.
    - Tried to "get lucky" skimping on tempers. Seven instead of eight doesn't save you one gold temper, it loses you seven. Plus the purples. Plus the blues. And the greens.

• GrigorijMalahevich
    GrigorijMalahevich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never happened to me as I pay attention to what I am doing and my attention to detail is second to none.
    PC/EU 800 CP.
    PvP MagSorc.
    Pedro Gonzales - Mag Sorc EP vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/CB6j6
    Valera Progib - Stam Sorc DC vMA Flawless Conqueror clear https://i.imgur.com/eYgpXG2.png
    Valera Pozhar - Mag DK EP vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/jrsuK
    Valera Podlechi - Mag Templar AD vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/N0BYq
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    checklist for crafting new gear:
    1. set bonus
    2. level
    3. trait
    4. style
    5. correct piece

After that equip the gear, make sure the intended set boni are activated on both weapon bars.
    I use Wykkyd outfitter so I save the set before un-equipping it.

Then I upgrade the gear to the desired quality.
    In case I accidentally select the incorrect amount of tempers/wax I dont waste glyphs.

After that I make the enchants and apply them.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Acharnor
    Acharnor
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yea - I was dumb!! I still blame the Controller UI. Yup that was it.
  • aLi3nZ
    aLi3nZ
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes I have done that many times. I usually notice when the item is white and Decon immediately now