The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Is Taunt Immunity Broken?

Personofsecrets
Personofsecrets
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
It seems as though that sometimes taunt immunity works like it used to work. I'm having a group where no others are taunting and the boss went loose despite me just taunting. Very suspicious.
Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel
  • TotterTates
    TotterTates
    ✭✭✭✭
    What content were you running when this happened?
    Cuppincakes
    • Imperial Dragonknight (Tank)
    • Pre-TG vMA Score: 459,636 [55:36, 0 Sigils, 0 Deaths] (Stamina)
    • Post-TG vMA Score: 537,328 [53:36, 0 Sigils, 0 Deaths] (Stamina)
    Bäby Spice
    • Altmer Sorc (DPS)
    Alisaeri
    • Dunmer Dragonknight (Healer/DPS)
    Church
    • Argonian Templar (Healer)
    Moon Moon
    • Khajiit Nightblade (DPS)

My Twitch Channel: TotterTanks
  • Ffastyl
    Ffastyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Certain mechanics ignore taunting.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

PC NA
    Daggerfall Covenant

Ffastyl - Level 50 Templar
    Arturus Amitis - Level 50 Nightblade
    Sulac the Wanderer - Level 50 Dragonknight
    Arcturus Leland - Level 50 Sorcerer
    Azrog rus-Oliphet - Level 50 Templar
    Tienc - Level 50 Warden
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Ashen Willow Knight - Level 50 Templar
    Champion Rank 938

Check out:
    Old vs New Intro Cinematics

"My strength is that I have no weaknesses. My weakness is that I have no strengths."
    Member since May 4th, 2014.
  • Saynna
    Saynna
    ✭✭
    What did you taunt? Some bosses have mechanics that ignore taunt. For example Valkyn Skoria's knockback mechanic ignores the taunt and picks a random person, including the tank.
    PS4 NA Server EP/AD
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also all harvesters, including the Adjudicator bid boss in vWGT, will target and face a random player before casting their cone lightning, regardless of being taunted. Ibomez the Flesh Sculptor will target random players for tenderising. The Lord Warden will target a random player for his machine gun attack. Etc.
    Edited by daemonios on February 21, 2016 1:59PM
  • Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    daemonios wrote: »
    Also all harvesters, including the Adjudicator bid in vWGT, will target and face a random player before casting their cone lightning, regardless of being taunted. Ibomez the Flesh Sculptor will target random players for tenderising. The Lord Warden will target a random player for his machine gun attack. Etc.

Some even cleanse the taunt and have to be retaunted after certain mechanics. For example Ibomez after he fears the group....
    Noobplar
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What content were you running when this happened?

Maw, first boss. When the boss went loose I had also just taunted twice in way too close of a time period.
    Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No, everyone. This was not just aggro free abilities. It was the boss running around wildly and becoming taunt immune.
    Don't tank

• daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, everyone. This was not just aggro free abilities. It was the boss running around wildly and becoming taunt immune.

Taunt immunity as a general rule was removed from the game. Maybe that boss has certain states where he can't be taunted, or you can't taunt him at all. In any case, it should be specific to that boss. If normal bosses started to become immune to taunt like they used to, I'd be surprised.
  • Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

maybe you had one of those Sword'nBoard-PvP-Stambuilds in your group?
    Noobplar
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    daemonios wrote: »

Taunt immunity as a general rule was removed from the game. Maybe that boss has certain states where he can't be taunted, or you can't taunt him at all. In any case, it should be specific to that boss. If normal bosses started to become immune to taunt like they used to, I'd be surprised.

No, the boss very clearly changed from light attacking me to another player and was not able to be taunted for a while. The boss ran around the room wildly despite just having been taunted with pierce armor and despite my use of inner fire to get it back under control.

I'm surprised too as, like you said, this type of thing is supposed to not be in the game at the moment.
    Don't tank

• Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Destruent wrote: »

maybe you had one of those Sword'nBoard-PvP-Stambuilds in your group?

There was another player with a taunt on in the group. When the boss went wild, I looked at that player and they were not using their bar that had pierce armor as they were using destruction staff at that moment. I also asked them and they say to not have used any taunts. Although it would easily explain what happened, I believe that they did not use any taunts based on my observation and their word. Therefore, something else must explain what happened.
    Don't tank

• vladimilianoub17_ESO1
    vladimilianoub17_ESO1
    ✭✭✭✭
    yeah,maybe someone trolling and tauting the boss too? also you can taunt even if you are using any weapon by using inner fire.
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    yeah,maybe someone trolling and tauting the boss too? also you can taunt even if you are using any weapon by using inner fire.

they say that they were only using taunts on their sword and board bar.

I realize that it is more parsimonious to believe that the other tank taunted, but at the very least take away the notion that the taunt system may currently be buggy so that when such an event happens in one of your groups, then there is my collaborating post here backing up that the taunt system may not be quite right.
    Don't tank

• TotterTates
    TotterTates
    ✭✭✭✭
    I saw this a few times on that boss... but only when I didn't solo tank the encounter. As soon as we stopped running two tanks, the issue went away... food for thought.
    Cuppincakes
    • Imperial Dragonknight (Tank)
    • Pre-TG vMA Score: 459,636 [55:36, 0 Sigils, 0 Deaths] (Stamina)
    • Post-TG vMA Score: 537,328 [53:36, 0 Sigils, 0 Deaths] (Stamina)
    Bäby Spice
    • Altmer Sorc (DPS)
    Alisaeri
    • Dunmer Dragonknight (Healer/DPS)
    Church
    • Argonian Templar (Healer)
    Moon Moon
    • Khajiit Nightblade (DPS)

My Twitch Channel: TotterTanks
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    food for thought indeed
    Don't tank

• FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Necroing this thread to see if people think it is still accurate.

Is there currently taunt immunity in the game or not?
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think there are certain mechanics that ignore it, but thats going from what I hear Tanks say as opposed to knowing myself
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    I think there are certain mechanics that ignore it, but thats going from what I hear Tanks say as opposed to knowing myself

Yeah. This is one of those slippery subjects about which it is very hard to get clarity.
  • Toc de Malsvi
    Toc de Malsvi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frost staff heavy, followed by random dps running for life around group.
    Legendary Archer of Valenwood
    Bosmer Dragon Knight Archer. XBox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Nightblade Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Sorcerer Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Warden Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Templar's are evil..
  • erlewine
    erlewine
    ✭✭✭
    no taunt immunity

a few rare mobs have abilities that purge taunt, such as the last boss in arx

quite a few mobs have abilities that target a random player, giving the illusion that they arent taunted briefly

and if two people are taunting the same mob, it becomes locked onto the most recent taunter for a few seconds. the original tank wont be able to taunt it back for a moment.

99% of these cases are someone else accidentally taunting.
    eisley the worst
  • victoriana-blue
    victoriana-blue
    ✭✭✭✭
    erlewine wrote: »
    no taunt immunity

a few rare mobs have abilities that purge taunt, such as the last boss in arx

quite a few mobs have abilities that target a random player, giving the illusion that they arent taunted briefly

and if two people are taunting the same mob, it becomes locked onto the most recent taunter for a few seconds. the original tank wont be able to taunt it back for a moment.

99% of these cases are someone else accidentally taunting.
    I've had bosses go taunt immune when taunted by multiple things in a short period, where the boss goes after random people and not just a taunt lock out. Clannfears and ice heavies are the usual suspects ime, though I have a suspicion that ice enchants sometimes proc taunt too.
    CP 750+
    Never enough inventory space, even with storage coffers and a mule account
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only taunts are Puncture, ice staff heavy attack with Trifocus passive, Inner Fire, and the Tormentor set with a charge attack. Clannfear can hold aggro, but can't override an actual taunt.

Taunt immunity is when the tank has the boss taunted and someone else taunts. The boss will focus on the 2nd taunter and cannot be taunted again for a short time.

Several bosses are untauntable. The only boss who has a taunt immunity mechanic is Sellestrix. She periodically sheds taunt, by way of the game applying a phantom taunt to her, so if the tank retaunts her too soon, she's now in taunt immunity with no one to focus on and seems to go wild.

Otherwise, if a boss is going wild on other party members, its either A. a mechanic that always targets a party member other than the tank, B. a mechanic that targets a certain member i.e. charging to the farthest member, or C. the boss isn't taunted at all, something I see a lot with fake tanks in a group.
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad to finally have an answer to this question after a year of hard thinking about it.
    Don't tank

• AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm running my first tank. Woeler-style DK, L43 with 720 cp. Have been training on WB and the training is going well. Running numerous WBs with my friend (magsorc) to provide damage. Tried Heretics Summons WB in Auridon (Snapjaw - clannfear). The boss immediately ignored both my S&B melee taunt and my undaunted ranged taunt, going straight for my sorc dps. I've tanked lots of WB, dealt with newbs using ice staves, worked with other tanks who can taunt but never encountered something like this before. Since the sorc is my friend, I know she has absolutely no taunts nor does she use an ice staff. I never could draw the boss' aggro, finally we gave up and left.

My concern grew when later the same day a DW/bow NB asked for me to tank Mabrigashes Burial Circle in Deeshan (Ghost boss). We agreed that I'd do the initial pull, taunt, turn and hold aggro. I buff up, charge in, taunt and the darn boss runs straight for the NB. I obviously tried both my taunts and this ghost totally ignored me staying locked on the DW NB. Fortunately, the NB was able to kill the boss despite a useless tank. After the fight I was scratching my head and appologizing. The NB offered that perhaps it was because his damage was so high. I don't know about that but I did satisfy myself that he was not using any form of taunt.

Two WBs that seemed to be immune to the taunts of a tank who has tanked dozens of other WBs?

Edit: Oops, I found this topic via search and only now realize it is on the PTS section of the forum. My experience took place in the normal game (PC NA).
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on February 20, 2018 3:36AM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo