Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Destro staff: best one to craft?

Fazmerir
Fazmerir
Because I need to figure out which Traits I may be missing. Thx.

P.S. I'm a High Elf DK (DPS).
Edited by Fazmerir on February 12, 2016 9:56PM
PS4 EU Aldmeri Dominion
PSN ID: Yoda001PT
  • ajwest927
    ajwest927
    ✭✭✭
    Go with lighting staff you can spam heavy attack by holding down the button. For triat I go with nirnhoned if you can't get it then go with precise
  • Fazmerir
    Fazmerir
    Would Lightning be better than Inferno? I favor the later, for no particular/logical reason. :#
    PS4 EU Aldmeri Dominion
  • Fazmerir
    Fazmerir
    The Law of Juliano's, for instance.
    PS4 EU Aldmeri Dominion
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fazmerir wrote: »
    Would Lightning be better than Inferno? I favor the later, for no particular/logical reason. :#

There is a thread around here somewhere where someone analyzed all the different destro staffs. The all pretty much do the same damage over time, just in different ways. I myself prefer Inferno as I can animation cancel that, and I can't do that with Lightening as it's a channel. But that is personal choice.

If your unsure, just make all 3 staffs, leave them white, and try all 3 and see what matches your playstyle. You might like the lightening channel, you might like the freeze from Ice, you might like the knockdown/back effects from flame.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Fire is better for weaving light attacks in between, and maximize pressure/dps.
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I really don't see a valid reason for using a lightning staff, other than personal preference
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DannyLV702 wrote: »
    I really don't see a valid reason for using a lightning staff, other than personal preference

It's heavy attacks are channeled and cannot be reflected. May not be reason enough for everybody, but as far as reasons go, it's "valid".
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »

It's heavy attacks are channeled and cannot be reflected. May not be reason enough for everybody, but as far as reasons go, it's "valid".

Maybe if you want to tickle DKs, then I guess that could be considered valid.

OP, if your goal is to tickle DKs, lightning it is lol
    Edited by DannyLV702 on February 12, 2016 11:37PM
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Inferno.

You can weave with Crushing shock/Swallow soul so easily
    Edited by Brrrofski on February 12, 2016 11:39PM
  • Fazmerir
    Fazmerir
    Thanks, all. :)
    PS4 EU Aldmeri Dominion
  • Jura23
    Jura23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »

I think in the upcoming patch, they can't be dodged as well.
    Georgion - Bosmer/Templar - PC/EU
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    High Elves get bonus elemental damage, so any element should be fine. Most people seem to say fire or shock for maximum DPS in my experience though.

I'm that one Altmer that runs around with a frost staff purely because I love the animations - the heavy attack in particular. People told me shock damage would deal more damage due to sorcerer passives, so I put a shock enchantment on it and called it a day. Frost mage for life! :p
    PC NA & EU || Mammoth Guilds - Victory or Valhalla || Altmer sorcerer main
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
  • BurtFreeman
    BurtFreeman
    ✭✭✭
    the best set for is juliano.
    trait precise or nirnhoned
    upon you build you may choose between inferno or lightninig and the gliph to apply with. frost one never used.
    personally i prefer magicka damage where i can, so i put point into traumaturge, and i go almost for magicka damage enchantment, but i do not use staff skills apart for crushing shock
    Edited by BurtFreeman on February 13, 2016 1:06AM
  • ryanborror
    ryanborror
    ✭✭✭
    Sharpened inferno
    dooderrr
    templars, nightblades
    PC/XB1 NA
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The main difference between Inferno and Lightning is that Inferno is unchanneled and Lightning is channeled. (Among other staves, Ice is unchanneled, and Resto is channeled.)

Unchanneled:
    + Easier to weave with.
    + Can medium-weave or light-weave.

Channeled:
    - Difficult to weave with.
    - Can only light-weave.
    + Cannot be reflected or avoided.

There are some minor differences in the effects passives that make Inferno a bit better in PvE. As a sorc, though, Lightning will have one major advantage in that it can proc Disintegration. For the most part, though, it's about the weave, and that's the main reason why most prefer Inferno.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Sneakyfool
    Sneakyfool
    ✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »
    The main difference between Inferno and Lightning is that Inferno is unchanneled and Lightning is channeled. (Among other staves, Ice is unchanneled, and Resto is channeled.)

Unchanneled:
    + Easier to weave with.
    + Can medium-weave or light-weave.

Channeled:
    - Difficult to weave with.
    - Can only light-weave.
    + Cannot be reflected or avoided.

There are some minor differences in the effects passives that make Inferno a bit better in PvE. As a sorc, though, Lightning will have one major advantage in that it can proc Disintegration. For the most part, though, it's about the weave, and that's the main reason why most prefer Inferno.

Just to add to this, if as a Sorc you enchant your lightning staff with a Shock enchantment you can also proc Disintegration from that also. So in effect it's probably the best enchantment for a Lightning staff.
    Edited by Sneakyfool on February 14, 2016 2:55PM
  • JuZ
    JuZ
    ✭✭
    I like a lightning staff of flame :)
  • Drakilian
    Drakilian
    ✭✭✭
    Ice's roots reach effect will *** up any melee characters except for a nightblade (who will just spam ambush), because roots are literally the worst. Don't see enough people using it, probably because the knockback from flame reach is super fun.

Lightning is kinda boring imo.
    Edited by Drakilian on February 14, 2016 9:47PM
    Just call me Drak
  • Jimboo84
    Jimboo84
    ✭✭✭
    ListerJMC wrote: »
    High Elves get bonus elemental damage, so any element should be fine. Most people seem to say fire or shock for maximum DPS in my experience though.

I'm that one Altmer that runs around with a frost staff purely because I love the animations - the heavy attack in particular. People told me shock damage would deal more damage due to sorcerer passives, so I put a shock enchantment on it and called it a day. Frost mage for life! :p

Good choice.
    When I(High Elf) go ice in PvP everyone hates me :) Enemies whispering me....
    Frost staff, with yellow elemental Frost dmg.

Plus the heavy attack give an additional shield.
    Edited by Jimboo84 on February 14, 2016 9:53PM
    Jimerio / Magicka Sorcerer / PvP & PvE / Master Crafter(Woodworking, Blacksmithing, Alchemy, Provisioning, Enchanting, Clothing) / DD & Heal / CP560+ / Aldmeri Dominion / PC / EU
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jimboo84 wrote: »

Good choice.

Ice staves are good for pvp? Awesome, maybe I should take him out there more often! And I like that extra shield too :)
    PC NA & EU || Mammoth Guilds - Victory or Valhalla || Altmer sorcerer main
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
  • CaptainPocky
    CaptainPocky
    ✭✭
    Fire staves are best for PvE as you can medium weave (using barely-charged heavy attacks in-between abilities) with them, they have a passive burning DoT, and gain 10% more damage if you have a DK running Engulfing Flames (+10% flame damage) in the party.

As for PvP, frost staves are also pretty good because of their various CC effects and again the fact you can medium weave them. Just preference between frost and fire there.

Lightning aren't really great honestly mostly because you can't medium weave with them. Some argue that a Sorc's Disintegrate passive make them viable, though you can show that not to be the case.
    Edit to show that in case someone was wondering. I'm remembering these numbers off of the top of my head, so they may not be 100% accurate, but anyway. It's ~6% chance to proc 8k damage at low health. Light weaving every second gives you ~0.06*8000 = 480 DPS. Medium weaving gives ~ 1k DPS over light weaving. Therefore, even in execute, inferno would give ~500 more DPS than lightning. This is worse if you consider that Disintegrate will not be able to proc for the majority of the fight.

One last note: I have heard that the fire staff's innate DoT doesn't stack with a fire enchantment's DoT, so it is possibly better to run a poison enchant. Haven't tested this myself though.
    Edited by CaptainPocky on February 16, 2016 8:24AM
  • Xeven
    Xeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lightning aren't really great honestly mostly because you can't medium weave with them. Some argue that a Sorc's Disintegrate passive make them viable, though you can show that not to be the case.

This in combination with our increased lightning damage passive, and the fact that its one of the few thing we can actually hit a DK with makes lightning the optimal choice for Sorcerer.

For everyone else or PvE sorcs, it's fire.
    Edited by Xeven on February 16, 2016 8:28AM
  • Johngo0036
    Johngo0036
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inferno staff for me is easier to weave,

I would go either Nirnhoned or Sharpened,
    Not precise...

I use a lightning staff when i PVP... heavy attack on a dk does not get reflected..
    PC EU Megaserver
    @Johngo0036
    CP900+
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer |The-Irritable-Witch(DC)
    Orc Stamina Dragonknight | Gru-Bolar(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Nightblade | Chewbucca(DC)
    Khajit Stamina Nightblade | Gleaming Daggers(DC)
    Altmer Magicka Nightblade | Miss Chewbucca(EP)
    Argonian Magicka Templar | Walks-With-Friends(EP)
    Argonian Templar Healer | Dr Toxic(EP)
    Orc Stamina Sorc | Lady Streaks-Alot(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka DK | Whips-n-Chains(DC)
    Nord Warden | Demi Tank(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Warden | Crafter-O-Crafts(DC)
    Bosmer Stamplar | Forest-Plump(DC)
    Argonian Hybrid Nb | Men-O-Paws(DC)
    Bosmer Stamblade | 'Maui(AD)
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | Mid-Life-Crisis(AD)

• CaptainPocky
    CaptainPocky
    ✭✭
    Yeah, the lightning heavy not-getting-reflected aspect is nice, but Magicka DKs are underpowered enough in PvP that you usually don't need it. Inevitable Detonation + Velocious Curse + Endless Fury spam is sadly all it takes while they tickle you with their flame whip. Streak through them when the curse and det go off to really screw them.

(My mains are a magicka DK and Sorc, so I've seen both sides of that one. It always goes well for the sorc, as long as they don't accidentally cast a frag out of habit!)
  • Reevster
    Reevster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inferno all the way for Dark elfs plus 7 percent fire damage bonus.... well if you were a dark elf that is.... ;)
  • Fazmerir
    Fazmerir
    High Elf. ^_^
    PS4 EU Aldmeri Dominion
  • Jimboo84
    Jimboo84
    ✭✭✭
    Jimboo84 wrote: »

Good choice.

Ice staves are good for pvp? Awesome, maybe I should take him out there more often! And I like that extra shield too :)

The extra shield is good yeah, +1000dmg points. Only someone told me last time they use more Shock dmg staff, visual wise... the ice graphics could be improved, true.

But it are those enemies that suddenly whisper me hating comments, that I love ice more :smiley: Deep Freeze them to the group. Especially those that use stamina, if it's empty, watch them getting crazy :wink:

But if I really want to kill fast, it's fire. With ice you know you do less damage.
    Jimerio / Magicka Sorcerer / PvP & PvE / Master Crafter(Woodworking, Blacksmithing, Alchemy, Provisioning, Enchanting, Clothing) / DD & Heal / CP560+ / Aldmeri Dominion / PC / EU
  • Jimboo84
    Jimboo84
    ✭✭✭
    Johngo0036 wrote: »
    Inferno staff for me is easier to weave,

I would go either Nirnhoned or Sharpened,
    Not precise...

I use a lightning staff when i PVP... heavy attack on a dk does not get reflected..

I hate it when they reflect Meteor... try that in real life :wink:
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Useful traits for staffs::
    Nirhoned (best weapon trait for magicka builds)
    Sharpened
    Precise

Dont bother with other traits on staffs, besides Training in the beginning ofc.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer