Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 14:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 14
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 14, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 4:00PM EDT (20:00 UTC)
• NA megaservers for maintenance – October 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/667236
• EU megaservers for maintenance – October 16, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/667236
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/667236

Dear ZOS, If You Ever Get Around To Rethinking Your Dye System...

MornaBaine
MornaBaine
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
...please consider doing the following.

1. Make metal armor dyeable ONLY in "metal" colors, various shades of silver, bronze, gold, even copper. And all the usual iron and steel shades as well.
2. Leathers you could dye almost any color but it should never be shiny patent leather or pleather! Shades should be muted due to texture.
3. Cloth should have a good deal more latitude in colors, including dyes that affect the texture and can make it look like anything from cotton or linen to a silk-satin. A much wider palette of colors should be available for cloth I think. We should ideally be able to decide the texture and pattern of cloth as well. Yes that means a more complicated system. But I have faith in you!

Lastly, give REAL rewards to Achievements instead of dyes and make dyes available far more broadly than they are now.

Thank you.

Moderator edit - title edited
Edited by ZOS_MollyH on February 8, 2016 4:20PM
PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• Sav72
    Sav72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It took them 2 years to realize, to dye shields...

GL on the brother.
    Savoifair, EP NB

If you break something, you can glue it back together and fix it, but, it will always be broken...

• Hand_Bacon
    Hand_Bacon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    4. Make some dyes drops from mobs/delves/dungeons.
    5. Make some dyes available via alchemy crafting.

Not sure how the above would be implemented, but that's for the people getting paid to figure out.
    #AlmostGood@ESO
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hand_Bacon wrote: »

Not sure how the above would be implemented, but that's for the people getting paid to figure out.

I LOVE that idea! If they aren't going to simply make dyes freely available they really need to step up different ways to acquire them. I'm also really sick of the fact that I still have almost NO metallic metal dyes. :(

• LoreRiley
    LoreRiley
    ✭✭✭✭
    OMG!You guys hit a new low! Are you guys really gonna complain about colors now when you most likely where a costume anyway
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LoreRiley wrote: »
    OMG!You guys hit a new low! Are you guys really gonna complain about colors....

I agree. There are worse issues with the game to complain about. If someone wants to paint their armor screaming pink, let them. Its not my personal choice but it doesnt effect my game play in any way.
    Beta tester November 2013
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's nothing wrong with the present dye system in my view, although I'd prefer it to be character-based rather than account-based.

As the OP is going all out for realism, perhaps she can confirm that she never carries more in her inventory than she could fit into the pockets of whatever she's wearing :wink: !
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    First off no tot he restricted metal dyeing players want purple or blue or green armor let them have it.

Second took them half a year too add shield dyes after armor dyes and we have yet to get weapon dyes. Do the math on that.
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nope, I like purple metal armor. If I have to look at female characters (mostly played by men) running around in combat wearing belly dancer costumes, everyone else can put up with my characters dressing like power rangers. It's only fair.

Texture options would be fun to play with though.
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MornaBaine wrote: »

1. Make metal armor dyeable ONLY in "metal" colors, various shades of silver, bronze, gold, even copper. And all the usual iron and steel shades as well.
    2. Leathers you could dye almost any color but it should never be shiny patent leather or pleather! Shades should be muted due to texture.
    3. Cloth should have a good deal more latitude in colors, including dyes that affect the texture and can make it look like anything from cotton or linen to a silk-satin. A much wider palette of colors should be available for cloth I think. We should ideally be able to decide the texture and pattern of cloth as well. Yes that means a more complicated system. But I have faith in you!

Lastly, give REAL rewards to Achievements instead of dyes and make dyes available far more broadly than they are now.

Thank you.
    Are you still after that PvP purple, or am I thinking of someone else :tongue:
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Zorrashi
    Zorrashi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you.
    Nah, I think she was after PvP black. Legate's black I think it was?
  • Calippe_Hac
    Calippe_Hac
    ✭✭
    I was on my alt checking the market when someone whispered to me re: my costume which was just one of the default ones dyed gold; so I guess the dyes aren't too bad. :smiley:
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

The moment that dyes become an item they will go on the crown store.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boo on all counts. Idea rejected.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • TGWarlock
    TGWarlock
    You want to limit what we have? Especially when TES has a history of metallic shiny looking medium armor (glass, mithiral, chitin) , and nonmetallic subdued looking heavy armor (ebony, deadric, dragonbone). No way. Just no.
  • twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1.) Existing dyes on the color palette don't match the color you actually get on the dyed item. I understand textures, and all, but get the finish closer to the color offered, ok?

2.) Areas actually being dyed by the user ought be more user friendly. Half the area combinations offered don't make sense, and there are only 4 general areas anyway.

C.) Dyed areas shouldn't always end up as 'gloss' as the only option. Everything ends up looking like it was covered in colored tin-foil. Throw a 'matte' function in for user selected areas.
    The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.
  • Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Why?
    2. Why?

As for achieve rewards, meh - I could enjoy achieve pet rewards, but I enjoy being able to hunt for new dyes.
    PC/NA: Primarily Daggerfall Covenant.

Lennie: Breton Sorceror. 9-trait crafter on everything, purveyor of useless frippery.
  • Xendyn
    Xendyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd be perfectly happy if they would just fix the system they have. Too many areas not taking the dye properly or not able to be dyed at all.

Par for the course, tho.

Lag is ruinin' my 'mershun!
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
    There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance - Socrates
    Member of the Old Guard, keepers of the game's history

PC/NA
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zorrashi wrote: »

Thank you.
    Nah, I think she was after PvP black. Legate's black I think it was?
    Oh yeah, sorry, I remembered it was PvP... :lol:
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Hand_Bacon
    Hand_Bacon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG!You guys hit a new low! Are you guys really gonna complain about colors now when you most likely where a costume anyway

Slight overreaction. I saw it as more of a suggestion than OMGOMGOMGPLZERTHISISSOBADsauce.

As a suggestion, I see it as better than the majority OMGNERFTHIS or OMGHELPME or OMGIDIEDINPVP threads. At least the OP put some thought into it.

#AlmostGood@ESO
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Slight overreaction. I saw it as more of a suggestion... As a suggestion, I see it as better than the majority OMGNERFTHIS or OMGHELPME or OMGIDIEDINPVP threads.
    Agreed. :smile:

• TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am a bit torn on this one. For one I heathily approve of plate mail in metal colors. For another... remember that red-enameled armor from "Dracula"? Or japanese lacquered samurai armor? Hard to support not having such options in ESO...
    Agreed.
    3. Cloth should have a good deal more latitude in colors, including dyes that affect the texture and can make it look like anything from cotton or linen to a silk-satin. A much wider palette of colors should be available for cloth I think. We should ideally be able to decide the texture and pattern of cloth as well.
    Hmmm... not sure if that may not be too complicated, but... maybe.
    Well, some dyes indeed are kinda hard to get... on the other hand, there is precedent, some dyes in "ye olde times" were very difficult to obtain and thus only reserved for the rich and/or powerful...
    I of course would love to see dye unlocks come with alchemy (make dye color bottles, use to unlock dye, sell to non-alchemists), but sadly the current alchemy system isn't quite up to the task.
    I don't really mind the achievement system... I just wish there were more ways then one to skin a ca... uhm... obtain a dye. (apologies to all Khajiit, no offense was intended ;) )
    As in, get it for free through achievement, or pay for it at the dye vendor, easy to get dyes are cheap, hard to get dyes are really expensive... (Gold Sink!) Heck, I wouldn't even mind crown-fuelled dye unlocks if they want to make some extra profit... (yes, I too would pay good crowns for legate black...)
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course people who want their characters to look like Power Rangers or Iron Man are going to reject this idea. I think that kind of makes my point for me.

I also think it's a bit silly to wear dresses and dancing girl clothes into combat. But since many costumes are actually armor skins I don't see a way around it. I'd be fine with all costumes being removed in Cyrodil though.

Yes, I still lust after Legate's Black. But since I really don't enjoy PvP in this game and feel that it's way too broken, that avenue of attainment is closed to me. So at the very least I think ALL dyes should be accessible via PvP AND PvE.

• daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you.

No no no no no. I agree that metal, leather and cloth shouldn't all look exactly the same, but right now any resemblance between the color picker and the died armour is merely coincidental. Much greater colour fidelity would be appreciated.

Your other suggestions are interesting, but I think they're way too complex and there's a million things I'd rather ZOS put their people to work on.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me it's more of a major UI overhaul desire than the system.
    I don't think anything is wrong with the system
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imo dye system is good as is (except for not being able to dye those horrendous red weapons >.<).
    The only issue I have with this system is that a lot of colors just dont work properly and look different on different items.
    And please, no character locked dyes. Low lvl dyes look absoluteky awful, and I think that we should have more freedom in game, not more limits.
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    daemonios wrote: »

Thank you.

No no no no no. I agree that metal, leather and cloth shouldn't all look exactly the same, but right now any resemblance between the color picker and the died armour is merely coincidental. Much greater colour fidelity would be appreciated.

Your other suggestions are interesting, but I think they're way too complex and there's a million things I'd rather ZOS put their people to work on.

Oh it's certainly not on my DO THIS NOW list but I tend to throw out ideas as I have them. You never know when the powers that be may see them and scribble something down for future reference. lol :smiley:

What you say about color fidelity is dead on though. It seems there is VERY LITTLE rhyme or reason as to how colors appear. What is shiny on one cloth item is matte and dull on another cloth item, for instance.

And don't get me going on how Daedric armor has giant swaths of UNDYEABLE BROWN hideous-ness on all the light armor. Seriously ZOS, what's up with that? And why the tendency to make most fabric look like it has the texture of a burlap sack with hideous dirty brown undertones that come through, utterly destroying MANY colors and just making the garment look filthy?
    Edited by MornaBaine on February 8, 2016 10:15PM

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Metals can be dyed just about any color

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=641&q=anodized+aluminum+colors&oq=anodized&gs_l=img.1.3.0l10.1144.2957.0.8426.8.8.0.0.0.0.93.605.8.8.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..0.8.604.PUW2TfHzu-U

For example

color-anodizing.png

Edited by Nestor on February 8, 2016 5:59PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And don't get me going on how Daedric armor has giant swaths of UNDYEABLE BROWN hideous-ness on all the light armor. Seriously ZOS, what's up with that? And why the tendency to make most fabric look like it has the texture of a burlap sack with hideous dirty brown undertones that come through, utterly destroying MANY colors and just making the garment look filthy?

Dunmer medium and light armor has the same issue. Some spots are not dyeable at all.
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Of course people who want their characters to look like Power Rangers or Iron Man are going to reject this idea. I think that kind of makes my point for me.

So your point is that what everyone sees on their screen should be what is personally visually pleasing to you, and the developers should put resources into making this happen instead of making other changes that would benefit a wider audience?

I'd rather stick with you "play your way" and I'll play mine. Maybe one day they'll allow you to mute characters you find unsightly from your screen. I am all about supporting that.
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
  • LiquidSchwartz
    LiquidSchwartz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    May the Schwartz be with you.
    EP/XB1/NA