The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Playing ESO without ever buying DLC

GC8V
GC8V
✭✭✭
So, I have the core ESO Tamriel Unlimited, without any DLC and never will buy any DLC. Is it still worth playing? Are there be people around to play the Vanilla content and will all the gear I collect be obsolete?

Also how long for me to complete ESO without any DLC (the main contents).
  • LostScot
    LostScot
    ✭✭✭
    Short answer: Yes. There is a tonne of content to work your way through before you even need to think about the PvP zone (Cyrodiil, part of the base game) or either of the DLC packs currently available. In my opinion the DLC is not essential to enjoy what this game is all about.

If you're only playing for an hour a day for say 5 days a week and you're being thorough with content perusal and exploration then you can easily get 6 months at the minimum out of this game. A more dedicated gameplay style (i.e. 3 hours a day, 7 days a week) and you'll likely have exhausted single-player content in 3 months.
    Edited by LostScot on January 31, 2016 6:38PM
  • Reevster
    Reevster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What the heck in "Vanilla content" I must have missed that content . :/
  • Ragnarock1982
    Ragnarock1982
    ✭✭
    Yes, yes, yes. I'm playing vanilla with no intention of buying dlc's... at least not yet.

1 thing to remember, this isn't destiny and the developers so far haven't ripped us off. Still bitter about destiny. All my hard lost because I refused to spend another 40 quid on dlc!
  • JD2013
    JD2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's likely 300 plus hours of content without DLC. Much more if you want to PVP. You can just carry on doing that forever theoretically.

Some of the sets are obsolete, and some always will be made so as DLC comes with new gear sets.

There's 21 PVE zones in base game (with Silver and Gold) and dungeon pledges are infinitely repeatable (unless it's White-Gold Tower or IC prison which requires the DLC.)
    Sweetrolls for all!

Christophe Mottierre - Breton Templar with his own whole darn estate! Templar Houses are so 2015. EU DC

PC Beta Tester January 2014

Elder of The Black
    Order of Sithis
    The Runners

@TamrielTraverse - For Tamriel related Twitter shenanigans!
    https://tamrieltraveller.wordpress.com/

Crafting bag OP! ZOS nerf pls!
  • Heindrich
    Heindrich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes it's worth it. There is an absurd amount of content in the base game. I mean absurd in a good way. It literally took me a year to quest all the way to endgame... ok I slacked a lot playing trader more than questing, and took a 3 month break... but there's a LOT to do.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only problem will be getting good VR16 gear and even worse VR16 mats to craft your own.

Without the two current DLCs you're pretty much stuck with crafting VR14 gear, unless you have millions of gold you can dump into buying mats and runes.
    dry.gif
  • Mashille
    Mashille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Before any DLC I had around 850 hours into the game.

So yeah, I guess it's got a little content.
    House Baratheon: 'Ours Is The Fury'
  • Dubhliam
    Dubhliam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is exactly the reason why ZOS makes new gear BoP.

Sure, you can play the game without ever taking out your wallet.

But don't come complaining to the forum that you can't get a new set because it is BoP and only available if you bought a DLC.

Heck, even a minimum (one month ESO+) will grant you all the DLC sets in that one month if you get your mind set to it.
    >>>Detailed Justice System Concept thread<<<
  • GC8V
    GC8V
    ✭✭✭
    is there any quality of life feature gated behind the DLC?
  • GC8V
    GC8V
    ✭✭✭
    but is there raid in this game? If so, is there still ppl doing raids for the base game?
  • Miszou
    Miszou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    The only problem will be getting good VR16 gear and even worse VR16 mats to craft your own.

Without the two current DLCs you're pretty much stuck with crafting VR14 gear, unless you have millions of gold you can dump into buying mats and runes.
    dry.gif

I've been playing for 3+ months and I've only just hit VR5, so I don't think this is anything to worry about...

Enjoy the game - there's tons of content, and if you're still playing when finding top-level items becomes a problem, then maybe you'll feel it's worth the DLC. But as I said, I've been playing for months and I'm not even close to finishing half of it...
  • Solid_Metal
    Solid_Metal
    ✭✭✭✭
    i spend 500 - 600 hours into the game and not even finish all of the content yet....

short answer : yes, its still very worth playing
    Edited by Solid_Metal on January 31, 2016 8:05PM
    "i will walk through the fog, as i welcome death"
  • GC8V
    GC8V
    ✭✭✭
    i waste 500 - 600 hours into the game and not even finish all of the content yet....

Waste of time but worth. Interesting
  • Solid_Metal
    Solid_Metal
    ✭✭✭✭
    GC8V wrote: »
    i waste 500 - 600 hours into the game and not even finish all of the content yet....

Waste of time but worth. Interesting

well i probably should change it into more appropriate word lol, i meant spend
  • Ra'Shtar
    Ra'Shtar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are not willing to buy any DLC's EVER and you still want to raid i suggest you to find a new game.
    Some of my favorite screenshots
    My opinions and posts are mostly on a PvE setting.
  • KingYogi415
    KingYogi415
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I heard this game called neopets is free.

might be more your' style!
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the moment only DLC trial/raid is a solo trial.

There is plenty of solo questing and pvp, there is even pve going on in the pvp area.
    -We have 3 12-mans trials, 1 4mans trial.. 3 alliences to quest through, Craglorn which is a large area for group pve, Cyrodiil which is for pve and pvp. Lots of 4mans group dungeons for pve, where many of them have a veteran version where the stories continue.

The max lvl crafting materials are expensive as hell, jewelry is also expensive, however there is plenty of stuff in vanilla version of the game, that you can use for trading purposes and get gold that way.

@Reevster - vanilla is usually an expression for base game. In this case it's meant as ESO without IC and Wrothgar DLC, but for singleplayer games like Skyrim it's meant as Skyrim with no mods (modifications to adjust skills and graphics) and DLC.
    Edited by failkiwib16_ESO on January 31, 2016 8:32PM
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just out of curiosity, why are you so set on no DLC? I mean I'd understand if you said DLCs so far have simply been not your cup of cake, but "never will buy any DLC"?

To answer your question, there's plenty of content outside of DLCs, it's the vast majority of the game, including endgame, you will be missing on certain (good) sets and higher tier mats though. Technically you can buy those with gold from other players who do have DLC access(aside from BoP sets) though.
    Assuming you aren't interested in the questing, you'll be missing out on (so far) 2 dungeons(nonvet and vet modes with a ton of BoP sets there, some of them pretty good), some PvP in IC/Sewers, TV stones which give you access to certain sets and stuff(most of which is BOE though so buyable with gold from guildtraders), Wrothgar BoP sets and a viable way to gather v16 mats(which are also buyable with gold but are quite costly). And the coming Trial in TG DLC. You can definitely play the game without all of that if you really desire to.
  • Julianos
    Julianos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Without DLCs you can't accsess the latest items from DLC content or some of the best crafting stations, you can't farm v15-16 mats which means you will be poor economically cuz you cant farm and sell valuable stuff also you have to buy those mats and they pretty expensive oh and you can't do profession writ daily quests cuz you have to deliver them to wrothgar.
  • Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    is there any quality of life feature gated behind the DLC?

Very little of importance is fully gated behind the DLC:
    1. Molag Kena monster helm (and Lord Warden helm of course), if you want both pieces of this set. (Shoulder pieces are obtainable from undaunted chests by doing other dungeons).
    2. Maelstrom Arena special weapons - altho these are not useful in many builds and near impossible to get even if you do have access to the DLC (it's just so hard to complete for most players).
    3. Several bind on pickup sets from Wrothgar and IC are interesting in certain niche builds, but it is def. possible to have other viable builds without them.
    4. top level Crafting writs require access to Wrothgar, but you can level up crafting without doing them.

Otherwise:
    4. Willpower/Agility/Endurance set items can be obtained in group dungeons, or bought from other players.
    5. vr15/16 mats are available (but rare) in Cyrodiil or by deconstructing vr15/16 gear drops, but the prices have dropped so much already that this is hardly an issue except for vr15 solvents and vr16 potency runestones.
    6. There are plenty of crafters around who can craft Julianos or other set items for you (for a fee). Yes, you will never be a true master crafter without access to the DLC, but it takes more than a year to learn all the traits anyway, so don't worry about it, just play the rest of the game.
    7. Old Orsimer motifs and style mats are only available in wrothgar (and Xivkyn in Imperial City), but are such a grind to get that most people just buy them anyway - and only if they are completionist fanatics.

The main issue is that there is quite a lot of fun and good gameplay content in the DLC. Not an issue if you have not completed the base game content yet - there is TONS of gameplay to explore before you need think about buying the DLC.
    Keep in mind that "end-game" content consists of things like PvP (no DLC needed for Cyrodiil), Trials (all non-DLC except the solo trial and the new one in Thieves Guild), vet dungeons (only 2 are in DLC), and various grinds (eg. public dungeons) and daily repeatables in wrothgar and IC sewers (DLC required).
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, I have the core ESO Tamriel Unlimited, without any DLC and never will buy any DLC. Is it still worth playing? Are there be people around to play the Vanilla content and will all the gear I collect be obsolete?
    It is worth playing, and while a lot of the gear you will find will eventually be outdated, you can also find top tier stuff in non-DLC regions (cyrodil had levelled loot drops after all). And dungeons. And some sets are always sold in guild stores. So, gear-wise, no sweat.
    Endgame wise, you will have cyrodil for PvP, dungeon pledges, and craglorn if you like to do groupey stuff without ever paying for any DLC. You might be missing out on some things, might lack a bit of easy expee gains from diung wrothgar and so on, but in the end you'll get there nonetheless.
    The main issue is that there is quite a lot of fun and good gameplay content in the DLC. Not an issue if you have not completed the base game content yet - there is TONS of gameplay to explore before you need think about buying the DLC.
    ^THIS!^

But for starters, no need to worry about the DLC. Play until you are starting to feel completely bored outta your skull with playing different configuration alts through all of the non DLC regions. Then you can think about the ole "to DLC or not to DLC, that is the question" thing... ;)
  • Solid_Metal
    Solid_Metal
    ✭✭✭✭
    Axorn wrote: »
    and you can't do profession writ daily quests cuz you have to deliver them to wrothgar.

eh really?, i didn't know that, i hit max on my alchemy and provision when orsinium already released.

so if they didnt buy the orsinium, their max writ just [snip] up then?
    Edited by ZOS_KatP on February 16, 2018 9:47PM
  • Yolokin_Swagonborn
    Yolokin_Swagonborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Playing without DLC at endgame levels is going to be harder and harder as more gear and more crafting stations are being locked behind paywalls.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... but the prices have dropped so much already that this is hardly an issue except for vr15 solvents and vr16 potency runestones
    I disagree.
    Have you tallied up the amount of mats needed to make a full set of VR16 armor and then looked at the prices those mats sell for?

VR16 sets need 10x the amount of mats than a VR15 set needs and those mats sell for 10x the price of VR14 mats ...
    shades.gif
  • Fruitmass
    Fruitmass
    ✭✭✭✭
    and you can't do profession writ daily quests cuz you have to deliver them to wrothgar.

eh really?, i didn't know that, i hit max on my alchemy and provision when orsinium already released.

If you don't have Orsinium then you'll still take your writs to Craglorn, even if your 10/10 in your crafts. You just won't be able to do writs that use or reward the new tier 10 mats. You'll be stuck doing the tier 9 writs instead. You'll also still get the tier 10 mats from Hirelings without the DLC.
    Beware all ye who log on for here there be typos...
  • Dubhliam
    Dubhliam
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not true.

People with max craft without Orsinium DLC deliver their dailies to Craglorn.

Even if you are an ESO+ subscriber and stop subbing, after it expires you will be redirected from Wrothgar back to Craglorn again (if you have old Orsinium writs, you need to abandon them to recieve Craglorn writs).

Whoever said that you cannot complete writs without Orsinium obviously is not a crafter.
    >>>Detailed Justice System Concept thread<<<
  • MikeB
    MikeB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The DLC (so far) has added little to nothing (imo) to the game but grinding. The only thing you are missing out on is an easier way to grind V15/16 mats.
  • Artjuh90
    Artjuh90
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fruitmass wrote: »

If you don't have Orsinium then you'll still take your writs to Craglorn, even if your 10/10 in your crafts. You just won't be able to do writs that use or reward the new tier 10 mats. You'll be stuck doing the tier 9 writs instead. You'll also still get the tier 10 mats from Hirelings without the DLC.

is it me or are so many people not aware that you can loot ruberite ores/leathers and ansester silk in cyro with max crafting skill xD
    Edited by ZOS_KatP on February 16, 2018 9:48PM
  • Flaminir
    Flaminir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    ... but the prices have dropped so much already that this is hardly an issue except for vr15 solvents and vr16 potency runestones
    I disagree.
    Have you tallied up the amount of mats needed to make a full set of VR16 armor and then looked at the prices those mats sell for?

VR16 sets need 10x the amount of mats than a VR15 set needs and those mats sell for 10x the price of VR14 mats ...
    shades.gif

V16 mat prices are NOT an issue anymore.... and you def don't need any DLC to be able to afford to buy these in guild stores.

For about 200k you can buy the mats for a set of armor.... and depending on your weapons not a lot more for those.

Granted this doesn't include the yellow tempers which is more than double this again.... but for a purple set and a yellow weapon it's not a too crazy gold cost anymore (On PC/EU server).

You don't need to have access to Wrothgar to do top level crafting writs either... just do the others while levelling and once at V16 you'll have a good stock of yellow tempers, and will have been able to sell other stuff that drops from them to make gold to afford the mats. Easy! :)

GM of the Unholy Legacy
    EU/EP
    Sorcerer Flaminir (Magicka) / Staminir (Stamina)
    Templar Elixiia (Magicka/Healer) / Lotti Velooni (Magicka)
    DragonKnight Xalora Flaminar (Tank) / Unholy-Dragon-Toad (Tank)
    Nightblade Aimee Owlious (Magicka) / Myttens (Stamina)
    Warden: Frosti-Tute (Magicka/Healer) Boops-Many-Snoots (Stamina/Tank)
  • Fruitmass
    Fruitmass
    ✭✭✭✭
    Artjuh90 wrote: »
    Fruitmass wrote: »

is it me or are so many people not aware that you can loot ruberite ores/leathers and ansester silk in cyro with max crafting skill xD

Aye, there's that. There's also running dungeons and deconing everything.

But my response wasn't about the accessibility of tier 10 mats. The question was asked whether or not a max crafter would still be able to complete writs if they don't have Orsinium. Thus my reply.
    Edited by ZOS_KatP on February 16, 2018 9:48PM
    Beware all ye who log on for here there be typos...