The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

3 things I'd like to see changed regarding crafting

Azurephoenix999
Azurephoenix999
✭✭✭✭✭
  1. Intricate and Ornate should be craftable traits.
  2. Crafting writs for equipment should give WAY more inspiration.
  3. There should be an alternative method for researching traits.

Intricate and Ornate should be craftable traits

Here's how they'd both work.

Ornate would use Gold as its material, and the trait would have the same effect as it would on any non-player crafted item.

Intricate would use Animite as its material (Black rock with glowing blue lines all over it), and the trait would work slightly differently. The item, if dismantled by the player who crafted it, would receive no inspiration whatsoever. If dismantled by another character, it would give them a significant bonus IF they had a lower crafting skill than the creator did when they made it. The Animite would basically store the creator's knowledge inside the weapon, then gift it to the player who dismantles it.

I think this would be beneficial as it would give people another method of helping their friends. This encourages cooperation between players (which I don't see enough of in this game).

Crafting writs for equipment should give WAY more inspiration

Context:
Trying to level my Clothing skill. I crafted 6 items, which took a whole bunch of mats to make, and the bar to the next level only went up about 5%. The difference was absolutely miniscule. I could've gotten more inspiration in a second by simply dismantling something.

Basically, I feel cheated. I feel cheated every time I do one of those writs because I ALWAYS end up with basically no mats, only a little bit of gold, and I only have a 5% increase in level to show for it.

Increasing the inspiration reward for equipment crafting writs would be beneficial as it would encourage players who are still levelling their skills to do the writs each day, rather than just players in endgame who only care about Tempering Alloys and stuff.

There should be an alternative method for researching traits

Oh boy...this is a big one.

I'd like to start off by saying I'm fully aware that some of you hate me for even suggesting this. I know that I have to tread lightly when talking about this as some of you, particularly those who already have all the traits on PC, feel pretty strongly about this.

I understand that it's somewhat of a tradition for research to take a while. I constantly see EVE being referenced in threads like this and praised as it forces players to wait months to complete research on a single skill. I myself have not played this MMO, so I my knowledge of it doesn't extend very far.

I'd simply like to take the time to explain why the time it takes to research everything seems unreasonable to me, I'd like to say why it matters to me even when I have no intention of getting them all anyways, I'd like to explain to you why there should be an alternative method of researching traits.

Firstly, I'd like to point out that while this is an MMO, it's still an Elder Scrolls title. It's not like all other MMOs, it's not like all other Elder Scrolls games, it is meant to be a hybrid of the two. Elder Scrolls has, for lots of people, been about role play. I mean, it's right there in the genre, Role Play Game. There is a reason why we get to customise our characters at the start of every adventure, why we get to shape their bodies, style their hair, give them fancy moustaches, and even give them a name. To some, a character may just be "Excess item holder" or "Crafting Writ more than once per day exploiter #3". To others, they're art. They are our in-game avatars, they are an extension of ourselves.

Say there's a new player who gets the game today. He decides to create a male orc and put him in the Ebonheart Pa- (Wait, I have to pay real money for this!? WTF!?) I mean Daggerfall Covenant. His character's name is Orzag Gro-Ballgut and is intended to be a master crafter. This player goes into the game hoping to level his crafting skills to max as soon as possible so that he can grow his character into what he envisions him to be. He's willing to put in all the effort he has to in order to fulfil his character's purpose.

He gets into the game, finds the nearest crafting station, and sees that he can apply traits to weapons and armor...but that he has to research them to use them. He thinks "That's okay. I'll just google more info on how this researching thing works".

Googles

"...OVER A YEAR!?"

This guy is more or less prevented from getting his character the way he wants it for over a year, just because he chose to be a master crafter rather than a heroic knight or a powerful wizard (now witness the firepower of this fully operational battle station!).

I understand that EVE online has skills that take ages to research...but we shouldn't be comparing this game to EVE online, not really... As I previously mentioned, ESO is a hybrid between an MMO and the Elder Scrolls Franchise. We should be comparing the game to itself.

As it's meant to be similar in aspects to the Elder Scrolls games, the developers decided to keep the character progression similar to the single-player counterparts. The fact that every spell in the game is part of a specific skill line was a little disappointing, but that's not the point. My point is that should anyone wish for their character to be a master knight or a master wizard, they can make it in about 2 months in casual play, probably 2 weeks if they really put their minds to it (and lose a bit of sleep in the process). If they wish for their character to be a master crafter...it takes them over a year.

What's even worse is that what's being asked of them is...time. Pure time. There's barely any actual effort involved. You get an item with the trait you want, set it to research, and it does itself. Because it's based purely on time, you can't reduce that time no matter how much actual effort you put in. Before anyone suggests ESO plus, that does NOT qualify as effort.

This guy wants his character to be a master crafter, and he's willing to work for it, but he's really discouraged about how long it's going to take for his character to become what he's meant to be. All he really wants is to be able to help others, and there's a huge time wall preventing him from doing that. Then the reality hits him that if he got the game on PC a year ago, he'd be almost done by now. That discourages him even further, and he's left with a choice of either settling on a "meh" character, or by getting a perfect character a year from now.

If there was a way for traits to be acquired without the research time (maybe even just reducing it a bit), something that did involve effort, determination and skill, then he'd be able to get his character much faster.

Le crappy idea to solve it
Here's an example. Maybe each week, a crafter can go on a relatively difficult quest (different each time) to find a book that'll shave off a certain percentage of remaining research time on anything he's researching. To prevent this from being exploited, it'll be a bound book. This is just an idea, I'm not even sure that it's that good, just making a suggestion.

Granted, some of you might view this as it being "given" to him, but that wouldn't really be the case. If the time he skipped was adequately made up for in difficulty, then it means he'd still be putting in the same amount of...uh...himself into the game as everyone else, he'd just be doing it in a different way.

I know some of you don't want the research times to be touched at all, but as I said earlier, to become a master knight or a master wizard can be done in about 10% of the time it takes to become a master crafter. I honestly don't think that's fair on the people that choose to be crafters. Crafters by nature help people (whether in exchange for gold or not it doesn't really make a difference) and cooperation is supposed to be encouraged in MMOs. I believe that they should be cut a little slack.

For those of you reading this that already have all 9 traits on everything, kudos. You have the patience of a saint and you deserve to reap the benefits of what you earned. I'm not trying to devalue your achievement in any way. All I'm saying is that there are many ways to prove your devotion to this game...and I believe that more than just one should contribute to getting traits and potentially completing one's character.
Edited by Azurephoenix999 on December 1, 2015 6:14PM
Guildmaster of Spectral Liberty - Xbox One - European Megaserver
  • Azurephoenix999
    Azurephoenix999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EDIT: corrected a few spelling and grammar errors. Please let me know if you find more.
  • stewart.leslie76b16_ESO
    Crafting (apart from enchanting) is easy to level up without even trying. So more inspiration will be a waste unless that inspiration can be used to boost CP as well (weird thing happened the other day, I got a CP whilst handing my writs in at Wrothgar, not sure why or how, but it's only happened once).

So because of the ease of levelling crafting, intricate and ornate I don't see the point of.

As for research, well, it doesn't take long to get the traits you want. But in order to craft the big scary armour then the time has to be done. Think of it like studying for a PhD in Nuclear Physics, you're not going to get it unless you put in the time.

Now with recent developments in crafting and the looming changes coming our way with the removal of VR, the things you should be asking for are a way to change a trait on an item crafted, a way to change the style of an item crafted, and a way to recover enchantments from an item crafted. Making one VR16 piece of armour is expensive and time consuming, I'd rather get a bit more back then a hand full of materials.
    I, as a loyal member of the Foamy Cult, do solemnly swear to live a logical life free of stupidity, ignorance and all round jack assery. I shall do my best to enlighten those in need of Squirrelly Wisdom in hope of one day ridding the world of human idiocy. This I swear.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The biggest argument against changing the Research Mechanics is, it does not take all that much time to learn 2/3 traits on gear you will use and there are some powerful 2 and 3 trait sets that I still use at VR Ranks. Getting to 6 traits is not all that long either (less than two months on gear you would use) and that unlocks Hundings and Julianos. It is the 7th to 9th trait that takes so long. Also, learning traits on items you may never use also takes up time. So, people need to stop thinking that they need 9 traits to be able to make the best gear. I even remember one post from a new player who thought they needed to know all 9 traits before they could make anything.

As for the Intricate trait, it might be nice. However I stopped doing the "Here is a few stacks of mats, make me some things to decon" rigmarole. The main reason is it's a pain in the butt to trade that many items with another player, even face to face. Intricate might help with that, but is it really needed? If a character decons mob loot after selling what is needed to cover repairs, their equipment skills will increase as they need them to as they play the game. It is only those who roll a new character with the idea of making them just a crafter that the grind gets in the way. However there is a way around that too, get to VR Ranks before you start leveling crafting or decon an existing VR Alt's mob loot.

As for Ornate, we already get that to an extent with the Tempers. Gear looks shinier and prettier as you Improve it. I would not apply an Ornate trait to an item during crafting if it meant I had to give up Divines or Precise or Sharpened or Nirn.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Intricate and Ornate should be craftable traits.

I think there's enough useless traits in the game as it is, I don't see these adding a lot with the exception of craftable intricate gear being useful for power-leveling the crafting skills.
    Crafting writs for equipment should give WAY more inspiration.

This I agree with 100%. When I was trying to level up my alts' crafting lines for running around Orsinium I initially was just doing the daily writs... it was taking forever. I would likely still be around level 20 in my crafting skills had I stuck with this strategy. Instead I just spent about 20k on mats and in a couple hours per skill managed to leapfrog-level everything to 50.
    There should be an alternative method for researching traits.

Disagree here. There has to be some kind of differentiator between crafters, and given how easy it is to grind the skill levels up a time-based investment is about all that can be done. I do, however, wish that they would let you queue up items to research so I don't have to remember that in three weeks I have to start my next round of 9-trait research.
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • Azurephoenix999
    Azurephoenix999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crafting (apart from enchanting) is easy to level up without even trying. So more inspiration will be a waste unless that inspiration can be used to boost CP as well (weird thing happened the other day, I got a CP whilst handing my writs in at Wrothgar, not sure why or how, but it's only happened once).

I know that they're easy to level up given time, my point isn't that they're difficult. It's just that the equipment crafting writs, which cost about 60-90 mats per day, and can only be done once per day, give you so damn little in return. I don't think it's fair.
    So because of the ease of levelling crafting, intricate and ornate I don't see the point of.

They're not super important, it was just an idea I had that I wanted to share. I thought intricate would give people another way of helping out their friends, and ornate...well...mainly to complete the set. It'd also help people make gold (it doesn't give nearly as much gold as selling the same items via guild store, so it wouldn't change the economy that much. Imagine you're saving up for a bank upgrade and you're 500 gold under. This would be a way to close the gap with relative ease).
    As for research, well, it doesn't take long to get the traits you want. But in order to craft the big scary armour then the time has to be done. Think of it like studying for a PhD in Nuclear Physics, you're not going to get it unless you put in the time.

The whole point of my argument was that the amount of effort you put into the game has no effect whatsoever on how long it takes to research items, when it should. When you're researching the last trait on an item, you choose to research it, don't touch the game for a month, and then it just does itself.

If two people were to attempt this, one actually playing the game and such during that month, and the other not even touching it, they'd both finish it at the same time. Sure, they'd both have waited the same amount of time, but the first guy has put more effort in. I think that there should be a way for the first guy to get it quicker by doing things in-game.

When determining whether or not a player deserves something in a game, I believe it shouldn't be how long they've had the game sitting on their shelf, it should be how much they're actually playing it.
    Now with recent developments in crafting and the looming changes coming our way with the removal of VR, the things you should be asking for are a way to change a trait on an item crafted, a way to change the style of an item crafted, and a way to recover enchantments from an item crafted. Making one VR16 piece of armour is expensive and time consuming, I'd rather get a bit more back then a hand full of materials.

Those are all things I 100% agree with. Being able to convert the style and traits of items that have already been crafted would be so cool.

And to all those nay-sayers that insist "ooh, that would mean taking the item apart and ***", this is a world with magic, screw real-life logic.
  • Azurephoenix999
    Azurephoenix999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wayfarerx wrote: »

I think there's enough useless traits in the game as it is, I don't see these adding a lot with the exception of craftable intricate gear being useful for power-leveling the crafting skills.

This I agree with 100%. When I was trying to level up my alts' crafting lines for running around Orsinium I initially was just doing the daily writs... it was taking forever. I would likely still be around level 20 in my crafting skills had I stuck with this strategy. Instead I just spent about 20k on mats and in a couple hours per skill managed to leapfrog-level everything to 50.

Disagree here. There has to be some kind of differentiator between crafters, and given how easy it is to grind the skill levels up a time-based investment is about all that can be done. I do, however, wish that they would let you queue up items to research so I don't have to remember that in three weeks I have to start my next round of 9-trait research.

Craftable intricate gear would help to power level crafters, and it could also be used to help out friends. I believe intricate should be craftable for this reason.

As for ornate...if you're already putting intricate in, you may as well complete the set.

As for research times, I'll use the same example as I did with the other guy:
    The whole point of my argument was that the amount of effort you put into the game has no effect whatsoever on how long it takes to research items, when it should. When you're researching the last trait on an item, you choose to research it, don't touch the game for a month, and then it just does itself.

If two people were to attempt this, one actually playing the game and such during that month, and the other not even touching it, they'd both finish it at the same time. Sure, they'd both have waited the same amount of time, but the first guy has put more effort in. I think that there should be a way for the first guy to get it quicker by doing things in-game.

When determining whether or not a player deserves something in a game, I believe it shouldn't be how long they've had the game sitting on their shelf, it should be how much they're actually playing it.

I mean, sure there needs to be a way to differentiate crafters. I'm not saying anything against that. I'm just saying that there should be a way for newer players to catch up by working hard. It could be a daily quest that shaves a little bit of time off things you're currently researching (or the next thing you research if there's no research in-progress). Maybe doing research at a school? Fighting through a dungeon to find a book that teaches you a bit more about it? I'm just spitballing ideas here, but you get the gist of it. It'd be an "every little helps" kind of thing. The time shaved off each day would probably be miniscule, but if it was done consistently then it'd add up and you'd end up finishing a lot faster.

It's like that one kid in class that's way ahead of everybody else because he puts effort into learning the material.

My opinion is that if the time is properly made up for in effort, then those that go through with it should be just as worthy as those that chose to wait.

• Azurephoenix999
    Azurephoenix999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    The biggest argument against changing the Research Mechanics is, it does not take all that much time to learn 2/3 traits on gear you will use and there are some powerful 2 and 3 trait sets that I still use at VR Ranks. Getting to 6 traits is not all that long either (less than two months on gear you would use) and that unlocks Hundings and Julianos. It is the 7th to 9th trait that takes so long. Also, learning traits on items you may never use also takes up time. So, people need to stop thinking that they need 9 traits to be able to make the best gear. I even remember one post from a new player who thought they needed to know all 9 traits before they could make anything.

As for the Intricate trait, it might be nice. However I stopped doing the "Here is a few stacks of mats, make me some things to decon" rigmarole. The main reason is it's a pain in the butt to trade that many items with another player, even face to face. Intricate might help with that, but is it really needed? If a character decons mob loot after selling what is needed to cover repairs, their equipment skills will increase as they need them to as they play the game. It is only those who roll a new character with the idea of making them just a crafter that the grind gets in the way. However there is a way around that too, get to VR Ranks before you start leveling crafting or decon an existing VR Alt's mob loot.

As for Ornate, we already get that to an extent with the Tempers. Gear looks shinier and prettier as you Improve it. I would not apply an Ornate trait to an item during crafting if it meant I had to give up Divines or Precise or Sharpened or Nirn.

The reason why crafters aspire to get 9 traits on everything is because when they go to the crafting table, they don't want the game telling them they can't do something. It's more than crafting stuff you want to use, it's about overcoming your limitations.

For example, barely anybody cares about dragon mounts at the moment, but if they were introduced and you were told you couldn't get one, it'd drive you mad.

Intricate would help a lot when helping your buddy. I say mob loot along isn't sufficient for levelling crafters. The difficulty with hoarding loot for decon is your inventory/bank limit and the fact that you might still need to research some of that stuff.

One thing I REALLY love is the suggestion from wayfarerx about queuing items for research, so that they automatically started when one was finished. That would mean you wouldn't need to stockpile loot for research and could just decon everything you found. THEN mob loot alone would be sufficient for levelling.
  • Lirkin
    Lirkin
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really like the queuing items for research.
  • Azurephoenix999
    Azurephoenix999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    c00lmon wrote: »
    I really like the queuing items for research.

I know, I'd freaking LOVE that.
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Craftable intricate gear would help to power level crafters, and it could also be used to help out friends. I believe intricate should be craftable for this reason.

As for ornate...if you're already putting intricate in, you may as well complete the set.

I mean, sure there needs to be a way to differentiate crafters. I'm not saying anything against that. I'm just saying that there should be a way for newer players to catch up by working hard. It could be a daily quest that shaves a little bit of time off things you're currently researching (or the next thing you research if there's no research in-progress). Maybe doing research at a school? Fighting through a dungeon to find a book that teaches you a bit more about it? I'm just spitballing ideas here, but you get the gist of it. It'd be an "every little helps" kind of thing. The time shaved off each day would probably be miniscule, but if it was done consistently then it'd add up and you'd end up finishing a lot faster.

It's like that one kid in class that's way ahead of everybody else because he puts effort into learning the material.

My opinion is that if the time is properly made up for in effort, then those that go through with it should be just as worthy as those that chose to wait.

I'm not strictly opposed to speeding up research, but I do agree with @Nestor that getting access to good sets really doesn't take that long. Yes it takes forever to get 9 traits across the board, but there are very few things in this game that reward people who play for a long time but aren't necessarily able to play a lot every day. Crafting research is something that very low-playtime people can focus on and still keep up with the 8-hour-a-day grinders.

Disclaimer: I just started researching my final nirn traits yesterday, so I may be showing some bias :wink:
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • Calidus1
    Calidus1
    ✭✭
    I like the first two suggestions, but you are right us PCers don't want a change in research (we have sunk cost). Getting all the traits takes cooperation and--like you said--we need more of that rather than less. Nestor has a good point too about a lot of good sets being available with few traits.
  • Azurephoenix999
    Azurephoenix999
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not strictly opposed to speeding up research, but I do agree with @Nestor that getting access to good sets really doesn't take that long. Yes it takes forever to get 9 traits across the board, but there are very few things in this game that reward people who play for a long time but aren't necessarily able to play a lot every day. Crafting research is something that very low-playtime people can focus on and still keep up with the 8-hour-a-day grinders.

Disclaimer: I just started researching my final nirn traits yesterday, so I may be showing some bias :wink:

I agree with what you're saying about providing low-playtime people with a way of keeping up, though I still maintain that people who are willing and able to put the effort in should be able to get them at least slightly faster.
    Calidus1 wrote: »
    I like the first two suggestions, but you are right us PCers don't want a change in research (we have sunk cost). Getting all the traits takes cooperation and--like you said--we need more of that rather than less. Nestor has a good point too about a lot of good sets being available with few traits.

Honestly, the whole "the 9 trait sets aren't that good" thing is a real issue. If they're going to put sets in there that require 9 traits, they should be worth the time it took to get them.

Random idea for a 9 trait set

Maybe a "Swordsman's Rage" set? Everything in the set would be called "X of the Swordsman's Rage".

2 pieces awards a 50% increase to max stamina
    3 pieces awards a 25% increase to stamina and health regen
    4 pieces awards a 15% increase to movement and attack speed, also halves the duration of all snares, stuns, fear effects, and all other mobility reducing states.
    5 pieces - When the bearer activates their ultimate, they gain a fiery aura that increases their melee damage by 25% AND adds 10% fire damage to every melee strike (if the attack would've normally caused 100 damage would cause 100 physical damage and 10 fire damage on top). The fiery aura lasts 15 seconds and can only be activated once every ten minutes.

Does that sound worthy of requiring 9 traits?
    Edited by Azurephoenix999 on December 1, 2015 8:48PM
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There are passives that reduce research times - with all 4, research times are reduced by 25%, you can research 3 items at a time (which is actually unlocked with 3 pts.), and research times do not exceed 30 days. Now, to get these passives, it does take some effort. You have to increase your crafting skill line and you have to level-up your character or search for skyshards for the skillpoints.

So, there is already a mechanic in the game that helps to reduce research times and there is effort involved in getting the skillpoints and unlocking the passives to reduce that time.

Also, there are what, 3 sets that require 9 traits? And none of them are really all that fantastic. I'm more interested in the 6-trait sets, and as mentioned before, it doesn't take that long to get to 6 traits.

Also, if you want a master crafter, you'll also want to learn all style motifs. This will take some serious effort to obtain all of those (though you could purchase them all in the Crown Store if you had a lot of excess real-life cash). But, if you're roleplaying as you say you are, then you'll want to obtain them in-game. This means doing writs everyday for the chance at glass motif pages or earning a lot of in-game gold to purchase from other players. The mercenary motif will require your crafter to run group dungeons to obtain pages and, of course, the Laurels. So, there's effort there, as well.

It's not just the traits you'll need, but the motif styles, and those will take effort. Even if you purchase from other players, you'll have to earn the gold.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on December 1, 2015 9:01PM
  • d8rmir
    d8rmir
    ✭✭✭

No weird thing here, writs are quests hence give XP as well...negligible though, probably you would have obtained that CP by just killing a spider.
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I actually posted awhile back that Ornate and Intricate should be craftable upon mastering the craft. This would make it so master crafters can make coin off items on their own accord and help other players gain inspiration faster as well! Of course you'd still need the trait materials lol
    Guildmaster of Power With Numbers in PS4 NA Server's Aldmeri Dominion.
    Proud Founder of the Yaysay cult! DOWN WITH THE NAYSAY CULT!! #ToxicRemedy
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 pieces awards a 50% increase to max stamina
    3 pieces awards a 25% increase to stamina and health regen
    4 pieces awards a 15% increase to movement and attack speed, also halves the duration of all snares, stuns, fear effects, and all other mobility reducing states.
    5 pieces - When the bearer activates their ultimate, they gain a fiery aura that increases their melee damage by 25% AND adds 10% fire damage to every melee strike (if the attack would've normally caused 100 damage would cause 100 physical damage and 10 fire damage on top). The fiery aura lasts 15 seconds and can only be activated once every ten minutes.

Does that sound worthy of requiring 9 traits?
    Ridiculously overpowered and game-breakingly unbalanced. Save fantasy sets for single-player games; they cannot exist in a MMO.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch