The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Deconstructing Mercenary Gear - A Laurel Discussion

Tallowby
Tallowby
✭✭✭
Question:
  • If you decon a crafted Mercenary piece is the Laurel return definite or only a chance? --> NOT Definite but a chance
  • Does the quality of a crafted piece change the chance of a Laurel during decon? --> Yes
  • Could this be a valid way to pass Laurels to crafters for commissioned pieces? --> YES but not 100% chance. (RNG)

I appears that RNG is a large factor on obtaining Laurels through decon. As stated below an average of about a 50% chance to get a laurel out of white crafted gear. So sending double the crafted pieces for decon is a good starting point. Crafter will decon enough to obtain enough Laurels for commission or request more pieces if not enough Laurels are obtained.

Chances improve if the crafted piece's quality is upgraded to green by 15-30%
Edited by Tallowby on January 13, 2016 4:37PM
NEED THE HELP OF A 9 TRAIT MASTER CRAFTER ON XBOX ONE NA - ALL STYLES LIST ---> My known Styles
Tallowby's Crafter Aid ...... CONSOLE - How to run a DPS Test

XBOX ONE NA - Guild The OTG (accepting applications)
Arden Sul | Bosmer | Nightblade | CP160/531 | 9 Trait Master Crafter |
Tallowby | Imperial | Templar | CP160/531 | 9 Trait Master Crafter | EVERY STYLE KNOWN!
Freya Bolt | Altmer | Sorcerer | CP160/531 | Master Crafter |
Wacko Smacko | Imperial | Dragon Knight | CP160/531 | Master Crafter |
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's like any style trait. When you deconstruct it's rng if you get the stone back.

Can 100% confirm that you get Laurels back, since I made a few just to check the look and destroyed because ugly.

So you could definitely use this as a risky way to obtain Laurels. No clue about percentages or if affected by extracting passives though. I got Laurels back half the time or so, with max passive deconning white gear.
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 2 Malechists from armor I bought. Took a flyer, got lucky.
  • Tallowby
    Tallowby
    ✭✭✭
    Tried this out last night.... No Upgrade mats, No Trait Gem, and No Laurel :'(

Only 3 Shadowhide from decon on max crafter
    NEED THE HELP OF A 9 TRAIT MASTER CRAFTER ON XBOX ONE NA - ALL STYLES LIST ---> My known Styles

Tallowby | Imperial | Templar | CP160/531 | 9 Trait Master Crafter | EVERY STYLE KNOWN!
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tallowby wrote: »

Ahh, thats bad luck (or working as intended if its impossible to get Laurel from deconnin gear).

You have a greater chance to get Laurel from the last dungeon boss if you have collected more Mercenary chapters.
    Most guild stores sell Merc chapters for 3-8k so its cheap to get a couple and improve the chance to get Laurel.

And you can run a dungeon multiple times to farm Laurel (and the monster mask).
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Tallowby
    Tallowby
    ✭✭✭

Ahh, thats bad luck (or working as intended if its impossible to get Laurel from deconnin gear).

You have a greater chance to get Laurel from the last dungeon boss if you have collected more Mercenary chapters.
    Most guild stores sell Merc chapters for 3-8k so its cheap to get a couple and improve the chance to get Laurel.

For me yes I know.... Know all pages already. But for others that don't have the skill to craft their own gear, they are excluded from this style or have to pay to have it crafted for them.

This means the crafter toons have to run Dungeons for the Laurels to make gear for those that cant....
    Edited by Tallowby on November 24, 2015 2:15PM

• poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

For me yes I know.... Know all pages already. But for others that don't have the skill to craft their own gear, they are excluded from this style or have to pay to have it crafted for them.

This means the crafter toons have to run Dungeons for the Laurels to make gear for those that cant....

Exactly. It's part of the steady nerf to crafters in general. We are being slowly made less important to serve their purpose of making a fun game for console kiddies, their largest component now.

Crafting, especially the hard crafts, are long term commitments and require a steady presence in the game and quite a lot of time making it all work. This is not what a lot of the newer population wants, they just want to run dungeons for crap.

I'm quite disappointed. I play several games in ESO and crafting is one of my favorites. I don't group much and like to run group dungeons solo. I have done that since the game came out and before. Your silly dungeons don't scare me. They are too easy with a group.

I'm not going to become a dungeon runner to suite ZOS, so I'll just play less. Good thing Fallout 4 is almost playable.

On topic: I have busted Malachists out of glass armor, but no Laurels.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've deconned 7 pieces of Mercenary on my main character. Got 3 laurels back.

Gave away 5 pieces of Mercenary daggers as a giveaway prize in my guild, the purpose of giving away laurels. The winner reported getting 4 out of 5.

As with all things RNG, YMMV.
    Edited by code65536 on November 24, 2015 10:49PM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good, I'll start buying Merc Armor.
  • Lithium Flower
    Lithium Flower
    ✭✭✭✭
    Deconstructed 3 white v9 voidstone axes made by a friend for the laurels. Recovered one.
    Dragonknight Smith of the Lith | Rayna Dreloth
    Templar Josephine Belmont | Catherine Belmont | Irene Belmont
    Sorceror Blathanna | Eta Carina
    Nightblade Adda Vorenor

Ebonheart Pact | Daggerfall Covenant | EU | Champion Points ~ 800 | Crafter of all things
  • Lord_Draevan
    Lord_Draevan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It might also depend on your skill in the crafting you're deconning from. I deconned 10 V9 Merc daggers with 50 Blacksmithing+all passives, got 9 Laurel. Then made a Greatsword to see what it looked like, deconned it, and got the Laurel back.
    I'm a man of few words. Any questions?
    NA/PC server
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once you decon the item and get a Laurel, is it bound to you or can it be sold at that point?
    NA Server - Kildair
  • Tallowby
    Tallowby
    ✭✭✭
    Robbmrp wrote: »
    Once you decon the item and get a Laurel, is it bound to you or can it be sold at that point?

Bound at that point
    Edited by Tallowby on January 4, 2016 5:50PM

• Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robbmrp wrote: »

Bound at that point

Ok, cool, Thanks!
    NA Server - Kildair
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems to me I have a better chance of getting the Trait and Style material back if I decon something I made rather than someone else made it. It could still be RNG, but it seems better when I decon a set after I have finished using it. Maybe it's just weaker after all those repairs....
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Tallowby
    Tallowby
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    It seems to me I have a better chance of getting the Trait and Style material back if I decon something I made rather than someone else made it. It could still be RNG, but it seems better when I decon a set after I have finished using it. Maybe it's just weaker after all those repairs....

I can confirm this as well... Gear created and decon'd by creator has a better return rate

• BenevolentBowd
    BenevolentBowd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tried this out last night.... No Upgrade mats, No Trait Gem, and No Laurel :'( ...

Just to clarify, the crafter toons do not have to run Dungeons. The Laurels are bound to the account. You can run dungeons on alts and use the bank to transfer them to your crafter. However, this approach requires the need for additional set(s) of Mercenary gear to be learned on more than one character.

Also, I have seen on the NA server a crafter selling merc gear for decon. If I recall, he/she was offerring a 20% refund if decon was unsuccessful. I do not know how successful this individual was. I am not judging the practice just passing it along as part of this discussion.

Megaservers: PC NA / EU (sometimes) Xbox NA (sometimes)
    Luxury Furniture Gallery [PC/NA]: Moon-Sugar Meadow
    Website:BenevolentBowd.ca, "Sharing My Notes With the World to Help Others"
    Charity:#GivingTheNewMeta
    ESO Calendarmancer: http://benevolentbowd.ca/calendar (10+ timezones to choose from)
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/BenevolentBowd
    #TeamStackableTreasureMaps
  • bryanhaas
    bryanhaas
    ✭✭✭✭
    Question:
    • If you decon a crafted Mercenary piece is the Laurel return definite or only a chance?
    • Does the quality of a crafted piece change the chance of a Laurel during decon?
    • Could this be a valid way to pass Laurels to crafters for commissioned pieces?

Test Results so far
    1. V9 Blue Merc Med Hands - Decon - 0 Laurels
    2. 5x Merc Daggers - Decon - 4 Laurels
    3. 3x V9 White Merc Axes - Decon - 1 Laurel

Looks like RNG then...

It is still bound after decon, the crafter though could decon for the chance to receive the laurel though.
    PS4 NA AD GM formerly known as GM of "The Children of the Void"

9 trait crafter I do all the things (Yes I mean ALL the things ;0).

Price list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FTV7ACtmEpQQwsEiHVcrBxC0zKaj6LKvc3An7dGG2t0/edit?usp=sharing
    Youtube: MaulochBaal https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRav05_8nWGvlTrfBBefaEw/featured
  • Tallowby
    Tallowby
    ✭✭✭
    Yes once a laurel is recovered from decon it is indeed bound

• helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tested with a friend. He made 10 mercenary items and i deconstructed them. Got 6 Laurels with maxed crafter. This is still a small sample but hints to 50% chance.

So one way to pass them is that they make Laurel style items twice the amount of gear they want me to make. If people have Laurels, they have at least one motif page learned. Then they can make something, any level, white stuff, to pass the Laurels.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    helediron wrote: »
    I tested with a friend. He made 10 mercenary items and i deconstructed them. Got 6 Laurels with maxed crafter. This is still a small sample but hints to 50% chance.

So one way to pass them is that they make Laurel style items twice the amount of gear they want me to make. If people have Laurels, they have at least one motif page learned. Then they can make something, any level, white stuff, to pass the Laurels.

I did some of these deconstructions over the weekend with below 50% results. At least it's a way to get them without having to run the dungeons.

1- 4 items deconned received 2 Laurels
    2- 5 Items deconned received 3 Laurels
    3- 9 items deconned received 5 laurels, out of the first 5 items only received 2 laurels though.
    NA Server - Kildair
  • Pomaikai
    Pomaikai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firstly, it appears that the rate of acquiring Laurels from decon is between 50-80%. Secondly, as with every other item that you're deconstructing, upgrading it from white to green GREATLY increases your chance of getting back style mats. Upgrading to blue may increase your chances even more, but I'm not sure.

To wit, upgrading a white piece of gear in the Daedric style may occasionally yield a Daedric Heart. Stolen white gear in Daedric will NEVER yield a Daedric Heart on decon. However... Upgrading that gear to green, even STOLEN items, will almost always yield a Daedric Heart on decon.

Therefore, if you're trying to acquire Laurels via this method, then you should ALWAYS upgrade the item to at least green before you attempt to decon it.