Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Replace "Inspiration" Crafting Writ Reward for Zone 6

FilteredRiddle
FilteredRiddle
✭✭✭✭
I have had all but enchanting maxed out at 50 for a while, and for the longest time I didn't understand what the, "20k" reward was actually giving me. It obviously wasn't gold, but what?! I looked into it finally, and I was a bit more than disappointed when I realized it was 20,000 inspiration. As someone with crafting at level 50, in the crafts for which I am submitting writs, that 20,000 inspiration is totally and completely worthless to me. I imagine that the same is true for most people submitting writs in Craglorn. If I could purchase motifs, recipes, crafting materials, anything with it, that would be fine. However, instead it's simply a worthless number that pops up when I drop off writs and that sort of sucks. It'd be like giving PvP'ers AP points but nothing to use them on.

Thoughts? With what could/should it be replaced?
Xbox One NA
The Sentinels of Padomay
Obsidian Guard (Social with PvX Events)

Gamers always believe that an epic win is possible and that it's always worth trying, and trying now. Gamers don't sit around.
- Jane McGonigal
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Writs were introduced to the game about a year after release. MANY of us were maxed in crafting by then, so your complaint was pretty common then. I would love to see something besides Inspiration as part of the reward for writs. How about some AP or Undaunted points.

What is even more ridiculous is that writs in Wrothgar follow the same reward formula. Since you have to have maxed crafting to do the writs, what exactly is the friggin point of rewarding Inspiration, eh @ZOS_RichLambert?
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Faunter
    Faunter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Implement a crafting champion system to allow progression for years to come!
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would agree that if you're doing top tier writs (where Crafting must be at 50 to unlock that tier) that Inspiration is completely pointless - the fact that you are even doing that writ proves that you've maxed the craft, so the Inspiration is worthless. The best reward would be an extra survey report, or something else tangible for the craft.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • AnnieBeGood
    AnnieBeGood
    ✭✭✭✭
    Getting a survey map with the reward now means the map is in Orsinium. So the blacksmith resource reward means never ever a chance of getting nirncrux - it doesn't exist in Wrothgar.

I find it hard to use precious metals and cloth for the writs too..... ancestor silk is hard won.

And I agree that getting inspiration points when your crafter is maxed out is useless.
    Gulrosa V160 Templar -healer and master crafter
    Annie Spaceshifter V160 magica NB - just a thieving assassin, now retired
    Katerina - 'Daedric Annie' - V160 Stamina DK - now bank alt, wardrobe mistress
    Anni Bee - Vet 160Templar - pvp magica templar - Daedric Lord Slayer
    Lily Malone - stam sorc - pve goddess
    Rey of Jakku Plain - Vet 160 - magica templar dd
    Savanna - magica warden, still learning to play
    and several babies...... learning to ride
    EU server, pc and All for the Pact
    Alith, the best guild in the EU
  • Elijah_Crow
    Elijah_Crow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree. This is useless.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Getting a survey map with the reward now means the map is in Orsinium. So the blacksmith resource reward means never ever a chance of getting nirncrux - it doesn't exist in Wrothgar.
    Ok, so maybe a max-level writ should always give one Craglorn Survey and one Wrothgar Survey (and no Inspiration). That way the rewards are tangible and useful for everyone. It would also be good if a Wrothgar Survey had 100% chance of the top-tier mats (I assume it doesn't currently?).
    Edited by Enodoc on November 16, 2015 2:17PM
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
  • Tors
    Tors
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sod that, give me crafting champion system!!!

Or allow me to unlock some dyes with 2 million spare Inspiration.

Then again......

I dont do these to get Inspiration in the first place. Removal of Inspiration totally would not stop me completing crafting writts.

Therefore I reckon there are bigger issues to sort out first (or even new toys instead of wasting time on inspiration on end game writts)
    Better late Than Pregnant....
    The shadow cabinet, a group of people who pretend to have jobs they do not actually have

EU PC - Azura's Star
    Decimation Elite - Raid Jester
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    I would agree that if you're doing top tier writs (where Crafting must be at 50 to unlock that tier) that Inspiration is completely pointless - the fact that you are even doing that writ proves that you've maxed the craft, so the Inspiration is worthless. The best reward would be an extra survey report, or something else tangible for the craft.

Yeah, instead of inspiration, add in a series of special max level surveys, or add in a random second writ that pays off in gold.
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ok, so maybe a max-level writ should always give one Craglorn Survey and one Wrothgar Survey (and no Inspiration). That way the rewards are tangible and useful for everyone. It would also be good if a Wrothgar Survey had 100% chance of the top-tier mats (I assume it doesn't currently?).

Wrothgar surveys give a mix.

The only one that I've had that didn't give top end materials was an Enchanting survey - lots of runes but no VR15 ones. And of course no VR16 ones.

I'd trade inspiration for 100% top level materials... and a chance of VR16 runes ;)

• aidenmoore
    aidenmoore
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree. It is of no use for me when I already maxed out my crafting professions.
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Gorrag gro-Gar - Dragonknight ( Vehemence )
    YT : Gorrag gro-Gar
  • rdavis9b14_ESO
    I will say I once gained a champion rank after completing a writ...
  • Parrot1986
    Parrot1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does it maybe get added to other non-maxed stats? I completed mines yesterday and my Two Handed skill i was working on increasing and already on the limit of increasing moved up a level. I'm at 50 for all but Enchanting and submitted all the writs one after another.

Do agree on the point though about having a Champion System though or just something which rewards the maxed out crafters more. Getting items with deconstruct XP benefits and very little sell on value isn't great.
  • Xendyn
    Xendyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I can certainly agree that Inspiration for a max level crafter is useless. Several good ideas in here.
    Lag is ruinin' my 'mershun!
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
    There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance - Socrates
    Member of the Old Guard, keepers of the game's history

PC/NA
  • Pomaikai
    Pomaikai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My blacksmithing is at 50, but I refuse to put in the last skill point into it so I can keep my writs in Craglorn. Maybe once I've got 9 traits in every blacksmithing weapon and armor piece I'll drop that extra point into it, but not until then. Unless of course something is done to make it worth my time doing so.
    Edited by Pomaikai on November 16, 2015 3:23PM
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You do get XP for each writ - around 1K I think. Along with 600 gold...

The 20K "inspiration" is to help you level up through the crafts, which makes it irrelevant if you already have. And as level 10 writs require you to be fully levelled up they are worth less than lower level writs :(
  • FilteredRiddle
    FilteredRiddle
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ourorboros wrote: »
    What is even more ridiculous is that writs in Wrothgar follow the same reward formula. Since you have to have maxed crafting to do the writs, what exactly is the friggin point of rewarding Inspiration, eh @ZOS_RichLambert?
    Oh geeze. I'm a console player, so Orsinium has yet to drop. That is... frustrating. It takes a lot of time and effort to level cap your crafting and seeing something completely useless as a 'reward' feels awful.

I find it hard to use precious metals and cloth for the writs too..... ancestor silk is hard won.
    What?! The Orsinium DLC writs require you use the V15/V16 materials?!

That would be far superior, especially if we must use our V15/V16 stuff for the top-tier writs.

Tors wrote: »
    Removal of Inspiration totally would not stop me completing crafting writts. Therefore I reckon there are bigger issues to sort out first (or even new toys instead of wasting time on inspiration on end game writts)
    I likely wouldn't stop doing them either, but I would rather then remove the inspiration all together than pretend the inspiration is a 'reward.' It feels sort of like a slap in the face.

Yeah, instead of inspiration, add in a series of special max level surveys, or add in a random second writ that pays off in gold.
    That would be an improvement.

I'd trade inspiration for 100% top level materials... and a chance of VR16 runes ;)
    That would also be an improvement!

Parrot1986 wrote: »
    Does it maybe get added to other non-maxed stats? I completed mines yesterday and my Two Handed skill i was working on increasing and already on the limit of increasing moved up a level. I'm at 50 for all but Enchanting and submitted all the writs one after another.
    It does not. Inspiration relates directly to crafting. However, you do get normal XP for completing the writs.

Pomaikai wrote: »
    My blacksmithing is at 50, but I refuse to put in the last skill point into it so I can keep my writs in Craglorn. Maybe once I've got 9 traits in every blacksmithing weapon and armor piece I'll drop that extra point into it, but not until then. Unless of course something is done to make it worth my time doing so.
    Unfortunately, I may be respec'ing to do the same... :/

Edited by FilteredRiddle on November 16, 2015 9:06PM
    Xbox One NA
    The Sentinels of Padomay

Gamers always believe that an epic win is possible and that it's always worth trying, and trying now. Gamers don't sit around.
    - Jane McGonigal
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inspiration needs a major overhaul period.

If your a maxed out crafter, getting more inspiration doesn't do anything for your character. Once your maxed out, inspiration should turn into something else so that you keep benefiting from it. Either give out more gold or CP experience with it.
    NA Server - Kildair
  • AFrostWolf
    AFrostWolf
    ✭✭✭✭
    Should give us a vendor for items akin to the general goods TV vendor. Points for doing writs that can be used to purchase both raw and processed mats. Metal/Cloth/Wood/Runes/Provision/HERBS.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    What?! The Orsinium DLC writs require you use the V15/V16 materials?!
    Yes, but they don't ask for as many items as Craglorn writs, so it isn't so bad. A bit problematic if you're still saving for a v16 set, though.
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Writs give more than just Crafting Inspiration. They also give regular Experience as well in the amount displayed!
    Guildmaster of Power With Numbers in PS4 NA Server's Aldmeri Dominion.
    Proud Founder of the Yaysay cult! DOWN WITH THE NAYSAY CULT!! #ToxicRemedy
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Parrot1986 wrote: »
    Does it maybe get added to other non-maxed stats? I completed mines yesterday and my Two Handed skill i was working on increasing and already on the limit of increasing moved up a level.

Any xp you earn, whatever the source (kills, quests, exploration, etc) also goes towards your currently equipped weapon and skills on your active skill bar. This has always been so, AFAIK.

You can make use of it very effectively by making a "leveling" bar filled with skills you need to develop and switching to it whenever you know you're getting some big XP, such as when turning in quests, closing dolmens, opening treasure chests, exploring unknown points of interest... Add-ons such as Alpha Gear which let you switch skills with 1 key make this particularly easy.

• syzmic
    syzmic
    ✭✭✭
    Let me spend my insperation on reducing time to research traits.

• Iluvrien
    Iluvrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why not have survey rewards on a sliding non-linear scale based on your crafting experience level?

Say the chance at crafting level 0 is a base 10%, and then at 50 it tops out at about 90% chance for a survey. The greatest increases could be at the upper end to reward those who stuck with the crafting process.

Maybe something like this...

Survey%20Chance.png

That way even as inspiration becomes useless at max, being at level 50 is still rewarding because of the increased survey chance.
  • FilteredRiddle
    FilteredRiddle
    ✭✭✭✭
    That would be pretty damn nifty @Iluvrien . I would still like to see Inspiration removed entirely from the max crafter's rewards, but knowing there was a massively increased survey chance would even things out.
    Xbox One NA
    The Sentinels of Padomay

- Jane McGonigal
  • Islyn
    Islyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pomaikai wrote: »

OOh I may respec and remove it from my main and just do it on an alt.
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Please do not change that without a in-game check of the actual Enchanting Skill level of the character.

My L9-25 Alt-crafters still have the ability to level to VR1 and access Craglorn before they max enchanting.

I can level them to Enchant Skill 40 before I reach Craglorn and Writ VI. Enchant Skill 40 is the only requirement to make the glyphs required for Writ VI (Kura/Kude). I can then level them to 50 with Writ VI so they can access L10 runes in Wrothgar and from hirelings.

Make a simple check for L50 crafters to provide something instead of unusable IP but don't remove it for anyone below that, PLEASE.
  • bryanhaas
    bryanhaas
    ✭✭✭✭

Same here but you have to be close to the next point usually.
    PS4 NA AD GM formerly known as GM of "The Children of the Void"

9 trait crafter I do all the things (Yes I mean ALL the things ;0).

Price list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FTV7ACtmEpQQwsEiHVcrBxC0zKaj6LKvc3An7dGG2t0/edit?usp=sharing
    Youtube: MaulochBaal https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRav05_8nWGvlTrfBBefaEw/featured
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SpAEkus wrote: »
    Please do not change that without a in-game check of the actual Enchanting Skill level of the character.

My L9-25 Alt-crafters still have the ability to level to VR1 and access Craglorn before they max enchanting.

I can level them to Enchant Skill 40 before I reach Craglorn and Writ VI. Enchant Skill 40 is the only requirement to make the glyphs required for Writ VI (Kura/Kude). I can then level them to 50 with Writ VI so they can access L10 runes in Wrothgar and from hirelings.

Make a simple check for L50 crafters to provide something instead of unusable IP but don't remove it for anyone below that, PLEASE.
    The initial proposal is only for the final tier of writs; ie, the ones that require maxed-out crafting.
  • joker0137
    joker0137
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, you would be happy even to get a pile of ash over the inspiration, least you can do something with that!
    Just A White Line Nightmare

PS4 EU server
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Enodoc
    I imagine that the same is true for most people submitting writs in Craglorn.

The OP started in Craglorn not Orsinium and stated Craft level 50 and didn't mention any passives level, which is why I commented. The change should be applied to all Characters that are L50 in a craft irregardless of what writ they are on.

As long as all factors are taken into account, sure give something that is actually usable at L50 craft level.

Just make sure Craft Level is the only thing that is checked and don't bring in Writ Location or Material Level Passives into the check. That ensures that any player can modify their passives to return any level of rewards but still get something usable for L50+ Inspiration.
    Edited by SpAEkus on December 10, 2015 2:29PM