Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 16:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

SPOILERS*******Major Hints at Future content for Daedra War, Clockwork City

Tyr
Tyr
✭✭✭✭
!!!!!!WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD FOR ENTIRE MAIN QUEST LINE INCLUDING ORSINIUM!!!!
!!!!!READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!!

Hi All,

For those of you who have finished the main quest line up to Orsinium, You'll know that right at the end the Varen Aquilarios shows up in projection form. Since I sacrificed him in the Main quest, i'm not sure if it's any different for others, but i'm guessing it's always him, though he just doesn't have the dialog for his death for everyone. Either way he confirms this is the last time he'll contact us(probably because they won't be doing any more VO by the amazing Michael Gambon.

He tells you of a coming war between the Daedra with a lot of various hints at it starting when the gates of Sotha Sil's lost city open(Clockwork City) and he mentions 3 daedra as the main antagonists by their colloquial names, the great deceiver (Boethiah), the sewer of discord (Mephala) and the patron of darkness (Nocturnal).

It's obvious we'll be seeing Mephala's as one of the three antagonists since we've seen Mephala's Realm, maybe related to the Dark brotherhood DLC, and Nocturnal Related to the Thieves Guild, and most likely we'll also see Boethiah play a part in some way.

We also have some big hints about when we'll possibly see Darien Gutierre again since it's pretty much confirmed that he's actually in Meridia's Realm(We see a message from Darien describing the lights of Meridia's realm in the Temple Library) and Darien mentioned by Alinon possibly showing up at Abah's Landing or Murkmire.

What are your thought on who the Daedra we'll be fighting against and with and when we might be seeing the various DLC's(Clockwork City, Abah's Landing, Murkmire, etc...) based on this new info.

Thanks,

Tyr

PS. Thanks to @TheShadowScout and @Faulgor for corrections.
Edited by Tyr on November 9, 2015 9:37PM
  • WitchyWarrior
    WitchyWarrior
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes! Thank you for posting this! I finished the main quest a few days ago and I was confused and happy when I saw him! I almost walked right by him!
    Straight away I went to the forums to see if anyone started a discussion about it, but I didn't see one. Until yours!

I also sacrificed him so I got the same dialog as you did. But my other v16 didn't so I'll find out soon enough as to what the difference will be :)

It did make me so happy but impatient for the next DLC and what it will possibly be filled with!

The letter from Darien also made me happy for what is to come. I'll tell ya, that whole ending was very upsetting to me! I really liked him. Such a flirt lol.

It's been so long since I actually fully read through all the dialog to the main quest that I almost forgot how much I liked a bunch of the characters.

Thanks for posting this! I can't wait to read everyone's thoughts :)
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Indeed, the hints are there now, we all are very eager to see what ESO will do with the great deception these three daedric princes (the hints point towards Boethiah, Mephala and Nocturnal - plots, strife and discord; seduction, deception and murder; darkness and thievery) seem to be working on... can't wait for it to start with the opening of clockwork city... ;)

And the message from Darien was pretty nifty as well, though I had always suspected we will be seeing that one again (its the "presumed dead, but noone ever saw the body" thing...)

In any case, good things to expect from ESO in the future... especially if they keep up the standard at orsinium levels!
  • Uriel_Nocturne
    Uriel_Nocturne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've been wanting to see the Clockwork City for so long...

If it is true, then that will be worth the expenditure in itself. :D

twitch.tv/vampire_nox
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say no to Crown Crates!

• Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dude, you shouldn't put his name in the title of the thread.

And the three Princes he mentions are the great deceiver (Boethiah), the sewer of discord (Mephala) and the patron of darkness (Nocturnal).
    Sanguine has nothing to do with the DB or MT. That's Mephalas domain.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prince of darkness could also refer to Namira. I mean, Nocturnal doesn't seem the type to fight a war. She wasn't even bothered that one of her realms was invaded and taken over by Mehrunes Dagon during Battlespire.

Also, Mephala hasnothing to do with the DB, it's the reason why they segregated from the MT: religious issues (and the fact that the DB wanted to get paid for their assassinations)

All in all, Mephala is a dzfinite contender in the Oblivion Wars, Boethiah would also make sense as the deceiver (might tie in with the Wrothgar quests. But the prince of darkness might not be Nocturnal
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • Tyr
    Tyr
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tryxus wrote: »
    Prince of darkness could also refer to Namira. I mean, Nocturnal doesn't seem the type to fight a war. She wasn't even bothered that one of her realms was invaded and taken over by Mehrunes Dagon during Battlespire.

Also, Mephala hasnothing to do with the DB, it's the reason why they segregated from the MT: religious issues (and the fact that the DB wanted to get paid for their assassinations)

All in all, Mephala is a dzfinite contender in the Oblivion Wars, Boethiah would also make sense as the deceiver (might tie in with the Wrothgar quests. But the prince of darkness might not be Nocturnal

It's possible, but i'm thinking now that we'll see Nocturnal devlop as an antagonist due to events of the Thieves guild DLC(player and frioendly NPC dissobeying her orders or betraying her in some way), Mephala will become an antagonist due to the events of the Dark Brotherhood DLC(Player joining with Dark Brotherhood and against MT Faction).

I think that we're actually going to get Abah's landing as a location tied to the thieves guild quest-line and Mephala's realm tied to the DB quest line, and Clockwork city as the location associated with the greater Oblivion war. I don't think we'll get Murkmire until after all that because Murkmire is another group adventure zone.
  • gclifton58ub17_ESO
    gclifton58ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »

And the three Princes he mentions are the great deceiver (Boethiah), the sewer of discord (Mephala) and the patron of darkness (Nocturnal).

Just my OCD kicking in but, it should be sower of discord. If he were a sewer of discord, the term would actually be seamstress or tailor of discord. In this case, it is most likely sower as in "you reap what you sow." I don't think there is a word that means seamstress or tailor in that manner. Sewer is actually where refuse goes.
  • Tyr
    Tyr
    ✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »

Just my OCD kicking in but, it should be sower of discord. If he were a sewer of discord, the term would actually be seamstress or tailor of discord. In this case, it is most likely sower as in "you reap what you sow." I don't think there is a word that means seamstress or tailor in that manner. Sewer is actually where refuse goes.

I think you're right but ironically Mephala is also often represented as weaver of webs/spider.
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tyr wrote: »
    Tryxus wrote: »

It's possible, but i'm thinking now that we'll see Nocturnal devlop as an antagonist due to events of the Thieves guild DLC(player and frioendly NPC dissobeying her orders or betraying her in some way), Mephala will become an antagonist due to the events of the Dark Brotherhood DLC(Player joining with Dark Brotherhood and against MT Faction).

I think that we're actually going to get Abah's landing as a location tied to the thieves guild quest-line and Mephala's realm tied to the DB quest line, and Clockwork city as the location associated with the greater Oblivion war. I don't think we'll get Murkmire until after all that because Murkmire is another group adventure zone.

I think the Wrothgar + DB + TG questlines are more preparations to fight their own mortal enemies:

- Boethiah: Malacath has a score to settle with her
    - Mephala: the DB are ancient and mortal enemies of the MT and by extension the Prince of Lies as well
    - Namira: Nocturnal is the mistress of the night whereas Namira is the Prince of the Ancient Darkness, so there might be a conflict between them

So those 3 questlines might "prepare" the Vestige to face these 3 Daedric Princes
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • Digiman
    Digiman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been wanting to see the Clockwork City for so long...

If it is true, then that will be worth the expenditure in itself. :D

Well it was in the mornhold expansion for morrowind. But it would be good to see it with Sotha sil alive in it.
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dunno why people write "SPOILER" in caps. It just makes me want to read it more, and then I feel bad afterwards. Like the time I went home with Kristy the bar girl from the pub that one night, and she stuck around me for 7 years.
  • theroyalestpythonnub18_ESO
    I'm pretty excited. Another Daedric invasion? Meh. The forces of Oblivion in all out war over the fate of Tamriel/The Mundus/The Aurbis? Hell yes.

I'm certainly taking Molag Bal and Meridia's dialouge a lot more seriously. It'd be cool to see a compilation of quotes foreshadowing the war.
  • Glorious_One
    Glorious_One
    ✭✭✭
    I have not read your post but you are wrong and I disagree.
  • AJTC5000
    AJTC5000
    ✭✭✭✭
    Was it just me that thought that the patron of darkness might have also referred to Azura? After all, she is the Daedric Prince of dawn AND dusk . . .

And this would also fit into a nice Tribunal-Anticipation setting with the three Anticipations warring with each other, plus the fact that this is taking place in one of the Tribunal's named cities.

But I do see how Nocturnal would work if they were introducing Thieves Guild before Clockwork City. Who knows?
    • PC/NA - @AJTC5000
      DC - Alena-Draco - Dunmer Magicka Templar

PvE Achievements
      Trials
      • vHRC HM
      • vAA HM
      • vSO HM
      • vMoL HM (Dro-m'Athra Destroyer)
      • vHoF HM (Tick-Tock Tormentor/The Dynamo)
      • vAS HM (Saintly Saviour/Immortal Redeemer)
      • vCR HM
      • vSS HM
      • vRG (Oax HM)
      • vDSR (Reef Guardian HM)

Arenas
      • vMA Flawless
      • vBRP
      • vVA Flawless (Spirit Slayer)

Dungeons
      • vFL HM (Leave No Bone Unbroken)
      • vSCP HM (Mountain God)
      • vMHK HM (Pure Lunacy)
      • vMoS HM (Apex Predator)
      • vFV HM (Relentless Raider)
      • vDoM HM (Depths Defier)
      • vLoM HM (Nature's Wrath)
      • vMGF HM (Defanged the Devourer)
      • vIcereach HM (No Rest for the Wicked/Storm Foe)
      • vUG HM (In Defiance of Death/Bonecaller's Bane)
      • vSG HM
      • vCT HM (Bane of Thorns)
      • vBDV HM (Ardent Bibliophile)
      • vCauldron HM (Subterranean Smasher)
      • vRPB HM (Bastion Breaker/of the Silver Rose)
      • vDC HM (Battlespire's Best/The Dreaded)
      • vCA HM
      • vSR HM
      • vERE HM (Invaders' Bane)
      • vGD HM (Fist of Tava)
      • vSH HM (Magnastylus in the Making/Curator's Champion)
      • vBS HM (Temporal Tempest)
  • Tyr
    Tyr
    ✭✭✭✭
    AJTC5000 wrote: »
    Was it just me that thought that the patron of darkness might have also referred to Azura? After all, she is the Daedric Prince of dawn AND dusk . . .

And this would also fit into a nice Tribunal-Anticipation setting with the three Anticipations warring with each other, plus the fact that this is taking place in one of the Tribunal's named cities.

But I do see how Nocturnal would work if they were introducing Thieves Guild before Clockwork City. Who knows?

It's now confirmed that the next two zones coming out with Theives guild and Dark Brotherhood are Abah's Landing and Gold Coast.
    See new thread here:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/230577/abahs-landing-and-gold-coast-anvil-and-kvatch-confirmed-new-thieves-guild-dark-brotherhood-zones#latest

I'm not sure where that puts mehpala's realm now, but we have confirmed imagery of Nocturnal in abah's landing which is theives guild zone, so Azura is unlikely to be one of the three antagonsits. Also Azura is aligned with the Vestige in one of the Zone questlines(I forget which one, but you communicate with a statue of Azura that thanks you for helping her), so she's more likely to an ally in the war against the other three. Azura is also the Anticipation of Sotha sil, so she may be involved in some way with Clockwork city.
  • JD2013
    JD2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    War in Oblivion.

I have been waiting for so long for this story in an Elder Scrolls game.

Sweetrolls for all!

Christophe Mottierre - Breton Templar with his own whole darn estate! Templar Houses are so 2015. EU DC

PC Beta Tester January 2014

Elder of The Black
    Order of Sithis
    The Runners

@TamrielTraverse - For Tamriel related Twitter shenanigans!
    https://tamrieltraveller.wordpress.com/

Crafting bag OP! ZOS nerf pls!
  • DaniAngione
    DaniAngione
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've just finished the storyline and was mind-blown for all of this in the end. Came here running to look for a thread on the subject.

I must admit it was kinda obvious that Bazrag would be king, that Kurog's mother would turn him evil, etc, etc... and although I really enjoyed the quests, I was like "Ok, really cool"... but then Darien's message and all these things and A WILD VAREN APPEARS and BOOM!

Mind blown.

Really unexpected and cool. I still have some things I'd like to see answered though, since I personally won't be going through Wrothgar again anytime soon (I loved it, but I'm currently too focused on my main character :P )

So, if any of these could be answered I'd really appreciate it:
    1. What is the dialogue if I didn't choose to sacrifice Varen? Does he still say we'll never talk again? I really want more Michael Gambon :(
    2. Since Michael Gambon was called for that new line, has ZOS fixed that horrible dialogue at start where they used someone else's voice for the Prophet? I hated that, it was so immersion breaking... I have no free character slots to try it out though :(
    3. What happens if I go to Wrothgar BEFORE finishing the main story? The region scales, after all, and I can go there before finishing Coldharbour... Do I get all these hints? It would make no sense to get them before defeating Molag Bal...
  • Tyr
    Tyr
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've just finished the storyline and was mind-blown for all of this in the end. Came here running to look for a thread on the subject.

I must admit it was kinda obvious that Bazrag would be king, that Kurog's mother would turn him evil, etc, etc... and although I really enjoyed the quests, I was like "Ok, really cool"... but then Darien's message and all these things and A WILD VAREN APPEARS and BOOM!

Mind blown.

Really unexpected and cool. I still have some things I'd like to see answered though, since I personally won't be going through Wrothgar again anytime soon (I loved it, but I'm currently too focused on my main character :P )

1. What is the dialogue if I didn't choose to sacrifice Varen? Does he still say we'll never talk again? I really want more Michael Gambon :(
    2. Since Michael Gambon was called for that new line, has ZOS fixed that horrible dialogue at start where they used someone else's voice for the Prophet? I hated that, it was so immersion breaking... I have no free character slots to try it out though :(
    3. What happens if I go to Wrothgar BEFORE finishing the main story? The region scales, after all, and I can go there before finishing Coldharbour... Do I get all these hints? It would make no sense to get them before defeating Molag Bal...

Sadly the great Michael Gambon is now pretty much fully retired due to memory loss/health issues so no more Varen. :(

If you don't finish the main story quests you just don't get any of the dialog related to fighting Molag Bal and you don't see Varen until you go back and complete it.
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I finished the final quest I walked away from my PC and almost *** a brick when I came back and saw him standing there
  • SteveCampsOut
    SteveCampsOut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sadly I totally didn't notice him when I completed it on EU AD with my sorcerer yesterday but I did on NA AD with that sorcerer. Is there any way of going back to find him?
    @ֆȶɛʋɛƈǟʍքֆօʊȶ ʀʋʟɨʄɛ⍟
    Sanguine & Psijic Group Beta Tester.
    Steve's Craftiness Find out what I can make for you at my Google Doc Spreadsheet.
    Pacrooti's Hirelings Website:
    pacrootis.enjin.com/

NA Server:
    Steforax Soulstrong CH782 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH782 Dragonknight AD
    Rheticia Le Drakisius CH782 Nightblade DC
    Razmuzan Thrasmas CH782 Templar EP
    Sheenara Soulstrong CH782 Dragonknight DC
    Erik Ramzey CH782 Nightblade AD
    Growling Kahjiti CH782 Nightblade EP
    One of Many Faces CH782 Sorcerer DC
    Grumpasaurus Rex CH782 Warden DC
    EU Server:
    Guildmaster of Pacrooti's Hirelings AD Based LGBT Friendly Guild.
    Stefrex Souliss CH701 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH701 Dragonknight DC
    Slithisi Ksissi CH701 Nightblade EP
    Pokes-With-Fire CH701 Dragonknight AD
    Josie-The-Pussi-Cat CH701 Templar AD
    Stug-Grog M'God CH701 Templar DC
    One With Many Faces CH701 Nightblade DC
    Trixie Truskan CH701 Sorcerer EP
    Grumpetasaurus Rex CH701 Warden EP
    ESO Plus status: Canceled!
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1. Can't answer that yet
    2. I think so? Either it's fixed or I never noticed the voice changed
    3. I did this on my DC character who was up to the Alik'r zone when he went to Wrothgar. All the NPCs who he'd met along the way recognised him, and despite the fact he hadn't been to Coldharbour he was able to ask them what happened to them after Coldharbour (e.g. Skordo the Knife said he was really upset about Darien's death, which made no sense since Darien was still alive at the point that my character was at). I was able to find Darien's note too. I don't know if it has anything to do with the fact my EP character had finished the main storyline so that dialogue was unlocked for all my characters, but from what I gather I think you'll get some spoilers yes.
    PC NA & EU || Mammoth Guilds - Victory or Valhalla || Altmer sorcerer main
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
  • RinOkumara
    RinOkumara
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly I totally didn't notice him when I completed it on EU AD with my sorcerer yesterday but I did on NA AD with that sorcerer. Is there any way of going back to find him?

no
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think we'll get Murkmire until after all that because Murkmire is another group adventure zone.

Are you sure this is still their plan to add another 'group adventure zone'? I don't think Craglorn worked out well, I cannot see them creating a DLC around another exclusively group-oriented zone. Also considering how well Orsinium has done and as Matt Firor stated, "Orsinium has shown so far that we can make a really fun zone that everyone can play, regardless of their level. Expect to see a lot more of this type of design in future DLCs, as letting people play together is the most fun part of the game, and we want to make sure that happens." Thus, I cannot see them adding a DLC that is exclusive to groups.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Reevster
    Reevster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sent "Snow Lilly" to her death instead of Varen on a new toon i just made lol, the first two toons I made I sent Varen to his death but wanted to see a different ending, eh not much difference lol , But i did get a purple 2 handed "Titanborn" axe as reward... i guess they figured she doesn't need it anymore. :D
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Digiman wrote: »
    Well it was in the mornhold expansion for morrowind. But it would be good to see it with Sotha sil alive in it.

I'm looking forward to seeing Sotha Sil alive, period. I'm still disappointed I never got to talk to him in Tribunal... :(

I did not, myself, but my first guess for 'sower of discord' was Mehrunes Dagon.
    ADarklore wrote: »
    I don't think we'll get Murkmire until after all that because Murkmire is another group adventure zone.

Are you sure this is still their plan to add another 'group adventure zone'? I don't think Craglorn worked out well, I cannot see them creating a DLC around another exclusively group-oriented zone. Also considering how well Orsinium has done and as Matt Firor stated, "Orsinium has shown so far that we can make a really fun zone that everyone can play, regardless of their level. Expect to see a lot more of this type of design in future DLCs, as letting people play together is the most fun part of the game, and we want to make sure that happens." Thus, I cannot see them adding a DLC that is exclusive to groups.

They might. A good portion of Craglorn's problem is that not only is it group content, it's group content at Veteran Rank 11, which only a fraction of the player base is willing to grind to. Also you can ACCESS it at VR 1 when most players aren't prepared to deal with the monsters, so often people will come in, get slaughtered repeatedly, get frustrated and then leave. Thus the player base in the region is relatively small, and groups are hard to find.

Making everyone able to access it from the start while battle leveled like Wrothgar is would go a LONG way towards fixing those problems. If they just omit any number requirements on group sizes (IOW no 'must have four switches all activated at the same time' arbitrariness) and include decent treasure rewards it could be group content and still be a viable zone.

#proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

How to turn off the sustainability features (screen dimming, fps cap) on PC
  • Saint_JiubB14_ESO
    Saint_JiubB14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Well considering zos made a promotional video a year ago with mephala's realm and the clockwork city. not really big news. but none of that will come unttil Q4 2016 at the earliest, and with the expansion before being a major one, I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see one of the major zones like that until Q1 2017.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

Winston Churchill
  • Sausage
    Sausage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive been thinking the same myself, I think you're onto something.
  • Frenkthevile
    Frenkthevile
    ✭✭✭✭
    JD2013 wrote: »
    War in Oblivion.

I have been waiting for so long for this story in an Elder Scrolls game.

• RinOkumara
    RinOkumara
    ✭✭✭
    Digiman wrote: »

I'm looking forward to seeing Sotha Sil alive, period. I'm still disappointed I never got to talk to him in Tribunal... :(

I did not, myself, but my first guess for 'sower of discord' was Mehrunes Dagon.
    ADarklore wrote: »

They might. A good portion of Craglorn's problem is that not only is it group content, it's group content at Veteran Rank 11, which only a fraction of the player base is willing to grind to. Also you can ACCESS it at VR 1 when most players aren't prepared to deal with the monsters, so often people will come in, get slaughtered repeatedly, get frustrated and then leave. Thus the player base in the region is relatively small, and groups are hard to find.

Making everyone able to access it from the start while battle leveled like Wrothgar is would go a LONG way towards fixing those problems. If they just omit any number requirements on group sizes (IOW no 'must have four switches all activated at the same time' arbitrariness) and include decent treasure rewards it could be group content and still be a viable zone.

It's Boethiah, Mephala, and Nocturnal
  • BoloBoffin
    BoloBoffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since Michael Gambon was called for that new line, has ZOS fixed that horrible dialogue at start where they used someone else's voice for the Prophet? I hated that, it was so immersion breaking... I have no free character slots to try it out though :(

I'm pretty sure that would have been recorded during Gambon's session at the very beginning. It's a hint of how long the planning for these zones has been going on.
    Been there, got the Molag Bal polymorph.
This discussion has been closed.