Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Drop Rate of Ancestor Silk in Orsinium

Ellorra
Ellorra
✭✭✭
After one day of questing in Orsinium, I am very concerned about the drop rate of Ancestor Silk in the zone compared to the other crafting materials. I made no attempt to grind or farm specifically to gather crafting materials. I gathered from nodes I came across while exploring and questing. On my max level toon I am level 50 in Clothing, Blacksmithing, Woodworking, and Alchemy. If the resource nodes/drops were balanced I should expect to gather or deconstruct roughly equal amounts of crafting materials.

This is what I gathered or deconstructed yesterday in Orsinium:

13 Ancestor Silk
25 Ruby Ash
65 Rubedite Ingot
21 Rubedo Leather
27 Lorkhan's Tears (Alchemy Solvent)

As you can see, the drop rate for the Ancestor Silk was roughly half of the other resources, except Rubedite Ore, which was roughly 80% more prevalent than Ancestor Silk. I went into Rkindaleft and bumped into some guildies. We went through that dungeon at least three times, killing most everything. (Everyone was missing quest points, so we had to keep going back to complete everything.) I ended that run with a grand total of three light armor pieces of level V15-16 to deconstruct for mats.

I ran into very few Ancestor Silk nodes. I was just running around questing, not going out of my way to try to farm mats. As you can see, I ended the day with many more Rubedite Ingots and I found those nodes most often. This takes into account I have two heavy armor quest rewards that I can't deconstruct. (Put in bug reports on both.)

I also ended the day with several raw materials I did not have 10 of to refine: 7 Raw Ancestor Silk, 8 Rough Ruby Ash, and one Rubedite Ore.

I do have quite a bit of gold on hand, so I thought..."Hmmm, maybe since people can gather stuff now someone had better luck than I did and I can find some Ancestor Silk for sale in the Guild Stores." I went to dozens of Guild Stores and came up with a total of 4 Ancestor Silk at market price. (I did not include the ones I bought in the total above.) I found several more at DOUBLE the market price.

I recently reached V16 (yesterday, YAY ME!). I am running around in mostly level V14 gear that I was able to craft myself. By the end of the day I had enough mats to make myself the two V15 Kagrenacs Hope staffs I need. (Yes, I am making a PVP build now, since I found a partner to go with.) I will need 530 Ancestor Silk to make the set pieces I need. I would need 40 days to gather that much at the current drop rate for Ancestor Silk.

Have a heart! Give us light armor wearers some love!
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing to consider, this place is being farmed more heavily than Craglorn ever was when people were chasing Nirn. I am sure that most are grabbing the Ancestor Silk nodes for all their light armor alts. Julianos anyone?

I did not notice any skew in the deconnable drops I got from mobs. If anything I could not find any wood nodes to harvest. Saw one (pardon the pun) and it was farmed before I could get to it. Have not seen one since. Saw a decent amount of Ancestor Cloth nodes, and just a couple of the Rubedite ore nodes. So, my experience is basically opposite of yours.

I figure I am going to get most of my mats from decon, not farming and refining. Mobs always respawn and no one can steal my shiny's from them.
    Edited by Nestor on November 3, 2015 11:29PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My experience has been a little bit different. I found roughly the same amount of ancestor silk and rubidite, but I found more ruby ash than both of the others combined.

Your experience could also be because it seemed like ancestor silk was a lot harder to come by in IC than the other two, so now people are farming it like crazy in Wrothgar, leaving less to go around for everyone else.

EDIT: Didn't see Nestor's response before I posted but now we have three opposing experiences. RNG anyone? :wink:
    Edited by wayfarerx on November 3, 2015 11:34PM
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Similar experience. After a full evening of questing and exploring the zone I gather around 40-50 rubedite ores and woods. Really nice.

Than the silk...maybe 3-9 only :disappointed:

Leather drops from monsters also seems extremely hard to farm.

I really doubt it's because everyone jumps the silk, since everyone jumps the max level ore + wood with equal enthusiasm.

Silk is pretty hard to spot though, might be a reason. But I have 3/3 keen eye, still cant find.
  • Ellorra
    Ellorra
    ✭✭✭
    wayfarerx wrote: »
    My experience has been a little bit different. I found roughly the same amount of ancestor silk and rubidite, but I found more ruby ash than both of the others combined.

Your experience could also be because it seemed like ancestor silk was a lot harder to come by in IC than the other two, so now people are farming it like crazy in Wrothgar, leaving less to go around for everyone else.

EDIT: Didn't see Nestor's response before I posted but now we have three opposing experiences. RNG anyone? :wink:

If this were true, you would think there would be more Ancestor Silk available in the Guild Stores if people were exploiting the nodes for profit. I logged on after making my original post to see people in zone chat in Wrothgar begging people to trade any other resource for Ancestor Silk. I think there is an imbalance in the prevalence of Ancestor Silk, but I have only one day of data so I'll keep plugging away at it.

**EDIT** Now that I think about it, that may be a function of more demand for Ancestor Silk for light armor as opposed to other armor types. I don't know what the distribution of armor types used is among the player base.

Edited by Ellorra on November 4, 2015 12:54AM
  • Johngo0036
    Johngo0036
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

I actually found about 100 ancient silk last night while playing,
    was also not farming it,

i was concerned about Rubedo Leather as i got almost none of it..

seems like rng is getting us.. lol..
    PC EU Megaserver
    @Johngo0036
    CP900+
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer |The-Irritable-Witch(DC)
    Orc Stamina Dragonknight | Gru-Bolar(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Nightblade | Chewbucca(DC)
    Khajit Stamina Nightblade | Gleaming Daggers(DC)
    Altmer Magicka Nightblade | Miss Chewbucca(EP)
    Argonian Magicka Templar | Walks-With-Friends(EP)
    Argonian Templar Healer | Dr Toxic(EP)
    Orc Stamina Sorc | Lady Streaks-Alot(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka DK | Whips-n-Chains(DC)
    Nord Warden | Demi Tank(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Warden | Crafter-O-Crafts(DC)
    Bosmer Stamplar | Forest-Plump(DC)
    Argonian Hybrid Nb | Men-O-Paws(DC)
    Bosmer Stamblade | 'Maui(AD)
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | Mid-Life-Crisis(AD)

• Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    IC still provides a ton. I can farm one V16 piece worth an an hour.
  • Nebthet78
    Nebthet78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I hate to say it but, Imperial City is still the quickest and easiest place to get V15/16 mats. In the time it takes to find and harvest enough nodes to get 10, let alone a stack of 200 raw mats, you will have collected at least 3000 tel var stones and gone back to base several times with full bags to deconstruct.

They NEED to make ALL nodes in Orsinium v15/16 for those with maxed skills, especially since enemies are not dropping loot nearly as much as IC does (which Gina said was a "Bug" *cough *cough yeah right.)

I found Rubedo Leather to be the worst to come across. Very low drop rate, Ancestor silk and Ruby Ash were tied for availability, and Rubidite ore was decent. I was finding lots of Tears without issues.

I pretty much determined I was able to find 1 new mat for every 3.5 void/night mats.

Edited by Nebthet78 on November 4, 2015 10:30AM
    Far too many characters to list any more.
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My last run on PTS gave
    296 ancestor silk
    475 rubedite ore
    381 rough ruby ash
    60 rubedo hide scraps
    That series of runs were without other players affecting results. It seems there is some truth that there is less silk than others but not much. My map shows that some areas really don't have any silk nodes. Live didn't change from last PTS regarding nodes.

The real problem is rubedo hide though. Beasts drop only one scrap and there are no big packs available.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've found Rubedo hide hardest to come by.

Then Ruby ash, then silk and ore at roughly the same proportions.

I'd say roughly one third of all springs give Lorkhan's Tears.

But maybe one in twenty potency runes are VR15. Haven't seen one at VR16 yet.
  • Fat-Larry-Makes-All
    151 mats in total is hardly a significant control group.
    Fat Argonian Cook.
  • Reorx_Holybeard
    Reorx_Holybeard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen similar trends towards the lack of Ancestor Silk. My net haul of v15 supplies for the week so far has been:
    • 370 Wood
    • 350 Ore
    • 200 Leather
    • 160 Silk

I'm surprised I've got more leather than silk as I haven't been specifically farming it. I might guess I have wood/ore as it is much easier to see from a distance than the silk nodes. I've also seen no v16 runes drop yet.
    Reorx Holybeard -- NA/PC
    Founder/Admin of www.uesp.net -- UESP ESO Guilds
    Creator of the "Best" ESO Build Editor
    I'm on a quest to build the world's toughest USB drive!
  • Nebthet78
    Nebthet78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am actually thinking the RNG changes for finding them day by day, except for Rubedo Leather.. that is really hard to come by.

Yesterday though, I found Ancestor silk all over the place, but very little Rubidite. Ruby Ash there was a good amount of also.

Also, for a rule of refining, 228 raw mats will give you approx 195 refined mats.
    Far too many characters to list any more.
  • Scyantific
    Scyantific
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I came across more Rubedo Hide than I did Ancestor Silk.

Also sold all of that Hide for a fat profit (market price, mind you).
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It must be the RNG gods at work here, I seem to get alot of ancestor silk, an average amount of ruby ash, but lesser amounts of rubedo and rubidite.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Vyle_Byte
    Vyle_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silk is my nemesis. Am finding tons of ores and wood. Even from the enemy drops, when I go to break down after filling up, there's barely any light armor. :(
    Member of the Old Guard
    Mother of the Byte Family
    Vyle Byte||Ivana Byte||Vyible Byte||Hakate Vampler Former EMPRESS BWB||Haan Zolo {Retired} (He swung first)||Lunari ||Wardyn Chalyk Tahno||Dirti Dianah||Bonnie||
    Viva la Byte
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't actively search for silk nodes. pick it up alongside every other inventory filling cr*p we get in this game, but the v15-v16 materials are so damn rare that it's not worth going for specifically. It's faster to kill, loot & decon.

The requirements to make v16 items is so rediculous. It really angers me :/
  • Galbsadi
    Galbsadi
    ✭✭✭
    You know ZOS is nerfing everyone but gold farmers when it costs >100k to CRAFT a piece of gear, material-wise...as is the case with Ancestor silk right.

Ancestor Silk market value (as of this morning -> 531g PER)
    150 pieces for the WHITE mat = 79,650g
    2 green tempers = lol, idc
    3 blue tempers = 100g
    4 purple tempers = 500g
    10 yellow tempers = 15000g

95,250g (not enchanted)
    V16 potency rune= 10k
    essence rune = lol, idc (most) or ~50k (tri)
    Kuta = 5k

109,759 (non-tri) or 159,750 (tri)

That's for ONE piece of CRAFTED gear. GG ZOS...I guess you're trying to buff gold farmers. That's not to mention the hirelings giving me 1 piece of ancestor silk (why is this nerfed here too?)...and the level scaling meaning that my v16 in v15 purples is actually weaker in Wrothgar than my level19 in level10 blues.
    Edited by Galbsadi on November 7, 2015 11:48AM
  • pronkg
    pronkg
    ✭✭✭✭

Good thing I have 5000 ancestor silk in bank
  • Galbsadi
    Galbsadi
    ✭✭✭
    pronkg wrote: »

Good thing I have 5000 ancestor silk in bank

I'd say right now is the time to sell...it is a seller's market. Eventually ZOS will have to fix this...or people will likely just quit playing altogether. The closest comparison to making materials that scarce I can provide off of the top of my head is TERA Online...it didn't work out so well for them.
  • pronkg
    pronkg
    ✭✭✭✭

They are far from scarce, obviously you don't know how to get them quickly.

Can easily make a 100/200 an hour so if you play an hour or 2 a day you can have a full armor in a week.
    I can't call that a grind.

This is one of the best ideas zenimax had in a while.

People start trading, people start exploring the map for nodes again, armor is actually worth something and oh the joy when you find a V16 set item with the right trait. I've never experienced this game as rewarding up until now.

If you got to V16 in the first place crafting a set of V16 armor is a piece of cake compared to that.

They will not nerf this, cause this is what makes them money, this is what makes people want to buy the DLC,s
    If the mats are worthless people won't sub or buy DLC's
  • pronkg
    pronkg
    ✭✭✭✭
    P.s. Try farming a monster set/willpower jewelry with the right traits to experience real grinding
  • maxlacab16_ESO
    maxlacab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I am finding more treasure chests than silk nodes about 4 to 1. Making great gold but no silks.
    Found about 25 nodes in 4 hours. Not re-spawns.
    Also, most monsters drop rube leather, but never silk!
    Can also get rube leather and metal from mobs...RARELY a light armor piece to decon!

Last going price of ancestor silk about 1k gold...rube ingot about 300 atm.

Considering that only three items need wood, I'm OK with the number of ruby ash.

But PLEASE ZOS, do something about the silk!
    Give us at least ONE monster that drops pieces of silk...like a spider, or worm, or whatever!

Cloth, leather and metal armor and mats availability should be balanced!
    Don't disadvantage the light armor classes!!!!
    Edited by maxlacab16_ESO on November 7, 2015 11:22PM
  • Cadelay
    Cadelay
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. My silks are startlingly low compared to my pile of rubedite.
  • Galbsadi
    Galbsadi
    ✭✭✭
    pronkg wrote: »
    They will not nerf this, cause this is what makes them money, this is what makes people want to buy the DLC,s
    If the mats are worthless people won't sub or buy DLC's

If my time is worthless, as is the case with Ancestor Silk right now, I won't sub or buy DLCs. Instead, I'll just log on a lower level character for free and be just as, if not more, powerful.

Edited by Galbsadi on November 8, 2015 8:35PM
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple of Clothing Surveys and I'm pretty much OK for silk. Some 68 right now. Now the Rube Leather stuff is hard to come by.
  • pronkg
    pronkg
    ✭✭✭✭
    A couple of Clothing Surveys and I'm pretty much OK for silk. Some 68 right now. Now the Rube Leather stuff is hard to come by.

Kinda depends on how much mobs you kill that drop the scraps.
    Rube ingot is less rare cause there are more types of weapons made from it to deconstruct, pretty obvious
  • Flaminir
    Flaminir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Found my first silk node last night since the DLC came out... I know my RNG luck is pretty bad, but this is just a bog standard crafting material, not a V16 Molag Kena helm in divines!

GM of the Unholy Legacy
    EU/EP
    Sorcerer Flaminir (Magicka) / Staminir (Stamina)
    Templar Elixiia (Magicka/Healer) / Lotti Velooni (Magicka)
    DragonKnight Xalora Flaminar (Tank) / Unholy-Dragon-Toad (Tank)
    Nightblade Aimee Owlious (Magicka) / Myttens (Stamina)
    Warden: Frosti-Tute (Magicka/Healer) Boops-Many-Snoots (Stamina/Tank)
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I agree.

I find leather harder to come by, despite killing everything I see.

Silk you can get from surveys, leather ONLY comes from scraps.

More than that, even if you get the same chances for a node to provided VR15/16 materials and for mobs to drop leather, you only get one scrap of leather per mob, whereas nodes will give you a minimum of 3 (and 7 if you're lucky).

Fortunately only one in three writs require leather.
  • Galbsadi
    Galbsadi
    ✭✭✭

Some 68 pieces right now, or...translated...less than half of what you need to make a single robe/jerkin.
  • Stonesthrow
    Stonesthrow
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have pretty much been taking this zone casual, not doing anything in any particular rush order. A couple of quests, a delve, some sightseeing, another quest, a daily WB, more sightseeing, etc., and here is what I've discovered...

By pretty much skipping the use of my mount for about 80-90% of the time and avoiding wayshrines except in emergencies like bags are full or a guildee needs something quick... you should have NO ISSUE finding enough of any material nodes. Just run from area to area and then run back to the next one. Had to turn off most of the things I added on HarvestMap so I could see the map itself... :wink:

Reading all the posts here and the RNG factors for everyone, my personal experience is a slightly lower number of Silk, both in nodes and drops, but I still gathered so much that it wasn't an issue. Not everyone is going for Julianos... Just TRADE with people (especially guildees) or sell your extras to buy what you need. For example, I have sold many 100s of Silk and Leather (the low, low price of 400g each) just because I only needed 2 pieces of light for my desired set.

Seems obvious, but some people want a VR16 crafted set a few days into a new DLC so badly all they can do suggest changes to the game.

Not broke, don't fix it.