Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Drop Rate of Ancestor Silk in Orsinium

• Galbsadi
    Galbsadi
    ✭✭✭
    Seems obvious, but some people want a VR16 crafted set a few days into a new DLC so badly all they can do suggest changes to the game.

Not broke, don't fix it.

Weird. I was under the impression that VR16 came out in August with IC (you know, just over two MONTHS ago). Maybe that's just me, though.
    Edited by Galbsadi on November 9, 2015 1:59PM
  • Stonesthrow
    Stonesthrow
    ✭✭✭✭
    Galbsadi wrote: »
    Seems obvious, but some people want a VR16 crafted set a few days into a new DLC so badly all they can do suggest changes to the game.

Not broke, don't fix it.

Weird. I was under the impression that VR16 came out in August with IC. Maybe that's just me, though.

Was referring to the new crafting stations in the new DLC that is a week old. Sorry for any confusion incurred and, yeah.. it's probably just you. :wink:
  • CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    From what i've found the ore and wood nodes are very easy to spot since they are red whereas the silk nodes are much darker, almost black. From my time looking for resources the hide scraps have been the rarest (always finding shadowhide) but the silk nodes in my opinion are just much harder to spot.
  • Galbsadi
    Galbsadi
    ✭✭✭

Not broke, don't fix it.

Weird. I was under the impression that VR16 came out in August with IC. Maybe that's just me, though.

Was referring to the new crafting stations in the new DLC that is a week old. Sorry for any confusion incurred and, yeah.. it's probably just you. :wink:

Go look at the crafting history...hell, do a google search for 'Ancestor silk" and look at the results on the forums here.

People have been complaining about the rarity of Ancestor silk since September. Back then the argument was "just wait your turn for Orsinium it'll be common and easy" ...now that it's not (it's actually easier to farm in OLD content...that'd be IC)...I can understand people being unhappy.
    Edited by Galbsadi on November 9, 2015 2:05PM
  • Stonesthrow
    Stonesthrow
    ✭✭✭✭
    CP5 wrote: »
    From what i've found the ore and wood nodes are very easy to spot since they are red whereas the silk nodes are much darker, almost black. From my time looking for resources the hide scraps have been the rarest (always finding shadowhide) but the silk nodes in my opinion are just much harder to spot.

I bumped keen eye on cloth up for that reason, helps.

Remember Jute nodes back at the beginning, now those were crazy tough to see before they made them bigger... twice.

• Stonesthrow
    Stonesthrow
    ✭✭✭✭

Not broke, don't fix it.

Go look at the crafting history...hell, do a google search for 'Ancestor silk" and look at the results on the forums here.

People have been complaining about the rarity of Ancestor silk since September. Back then the argument was "just wait your turn for Orsinium it'll be common and easy" ...now that it's not (it's actually easier to farm in OLD content...that'd be IC)...I can understand people being unhappy.

People tend to complain on forums. It is what they are for. I tend to only come here on Monday so tracking peoples complaints isn't my thing.

The availability HAS increased... There are now NODES in a new zone that can be harvested. There are more people with the material for trading/selling.

Maybe it isn't as fast as some people would like, dunno and don't really think it is a major issue so done here.
    Edited by Stonesthrow on November 9, 2015 2:31PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not farming as a focus in Wrothgar, but grabbing things as I go. Not as many nodes as in other zones (that could be because of farming) and its a real mix of what is available and what is not. Some days I get more Silk, some days I see more Ore.

I really do think that most of my mats are going to come from decon and not farming.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Vyle_Byte
    Vyle_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Played all weekend. Against my better judgement I even did the writs for clothing (ive been v16 for a month still not enough silk to make a fkn set of armor) and ofc I didn't get surveys either day, so I am out the silks that i did find just to chance getting more in a survey... but bc my luck is so sheety lately my gamble didn't pay out.

If only the drops I get weren't always armor, weapons and medium armor. I have no trouble with leather and ingots. Plenty of those. No fkn silk and every damn character I own wears some light armor.

Sorry but...
    I. Am. Annoyed. As. Hell.
    Member of the Old Guard
    Mother of the Byte Family
    Vyle Byte||Ivana Byte||Vyible Byte||Hakate Vampler Former EMPRESS BWB||Haan Zolo {Retired} (He swung first)||Lunari ||Wardyn Chalyk Tahno||Dirti Dianah||Bonnie||
    Viva la Byte
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People do not pick vr9 stuff and it chokes the area, because vr15 nodes spawn to the area - not to players. Let's make a scenario. The system initially spwans all nodes. About 30% of nodes have vr15 flag on and maxed crafters see them as silk and pick them. The system respawns these 30% of nodes and 30% of them are silk. But now over 90% of available nodes are void bloom. After awhile whole area turns to void bloom.

What would happen if ZOS would turn vr15 drops to 100% ? My bet is nothing actually, except people would craft vr16 gear AND be happy. All nodes get picked up and the area would not choke up with "wrong" nodes.

Legendary vr16 gear requires 1600 raw mats on average. Improving to legendary needs eight golden improvements and we get them on average from 1600 raw mats. But Wrothgar area gets clogged with vr9 mats that nobody want. This is the same effect we have seen with flowers: people do not pick up "wrong" flowers even when it is beneficial for them. If ZOS changes all nodes to vr15, they all will get picked up and people would farm even more for legendary improvements, Keeping vr15 mats rare is unhealthy. AND there really is no reason to keep them rare.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • Vyle_Byte
    Vyle_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    helediron wrote: »
    People do not pick vr9 stuff and it chokes the area, because vr15 nodes spawn to the area - not to players. Let's make a scenario. The system initially spwans all nodes. About 30% of nodes have vr15 flag on and maxed crafters see them as silk and pick them. The system respawns these 30% of nodes and 30% of them are silk. But now over 90% of available nodes are void bloom. After awhile whole area turns to void bloom.

What would happen if ZOS would turn vr15 drops to 100% ? My bet is nothing actually, except people would craft vr16 gear AND be happy. All nodes get picked up and the area would not choke up with "wrong" nodes.

Legendary vr16 gear requires 1600 raw mats on average. Improving to legendary needs eight golden improvements and we get them on average from 1600 raw mats. But Wrothgar area gets clogged with vr9 mats that nobody want. This is the same effect we have seen with flowers: people do not pick up "wrong" flowers even when it is beneficial for them. If ZOS changes all nodes to vr15, they all will get picked up and people would farm even more for legendary improvements, Keeping vr15 mats rare is unhealthy. AND there really is no reason to keep them rare.

QFT.

ZOS, please take a better look at this. While we have those few and far between players who get everything they need somehow, we have plenty who are frustrated with the current system. @helediron is correct in all of his post. Please read and consider a change.
    Member of the Old Guard
    Mother of the Byte Family
    Vyle Byte||Ivana Byte||Vyible Byte||Hakate Vampler Former EMPRESS BWB||Haan Zolo {Retired} (He swung first)||Lunari ||Wardyn Chalyk Tahno||Dirti Dianah||Bonnie||
    Viva la Byte
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    helediron wrote: »

I agree. I can't see the point in linking materials to your crafting capability AND having a reduced drop rate.

And it really doesn't make sense having mobs sometimes drop VR15 mats, and sometimes dropping VR9. Just what kind of skin do they have?
  • Galbsadi
    Galbsadi
    ✭✭✭

Not broke, don't fix it.

People tend to complain on forums. It is what they are for. I tend to only come here on Monday so tracking peoples complaints isn't my thing.

The availability HAS increased... There are now NODES in a new zone that can be harvested. There are more people with the material for trading/selling.

Maybe it isn't as fast as some people would like, dunno and don't really think it is a major issue so done here.

The availability really HASN'T increased. When I first looked at the drop rates in Wrothgar, and how rare they are, somebody gave me a suggestion to acquire v15-v16 materials more quickly.

Would you like to know what it was?

"Go to IC and farm TV stones, then turn those in. It's multiple times faster."

We didn't get a 'better' way to get materials...we got a slower way. The example would be like this.

John wants to travel to Mars. He asks Jeff for some help, and Jeff says "Well, I have an airplane. It can't get you to mars, but it'll get you to China."

John comes back "um, that doesn't get me to Mars"

Jeff comes back "hold off, in two months I'll have better transportation.

Two months later, Jeff presents John with a bicycle.