Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Enchanting with Apect Runes

miked83b14_ESO
miked83b14_ESO
✭✭✭
I noticed that when I enchant gear with a green enchant or a purple enchant there's no difference in value when the gear is upgraded. Is this intended? If so, what's the point in Aspect Runes then?
  • d8rmir
    d8rmir
    ✭✭✭
    Only large parts of gear (body, legs, head, shield) allow full benefit from the enchantment, in the case of other parts the enchantment is capped.
    For instance, a gold and a purple glyph on your belt will have the same effect (and maybe even weaker glyphs?). But if you try with your cuirass, you wil definitely see the difference.
    I am sorry I cannot give you the exact value of this cap and the optimal pairing item-color, maybe someone else can give you more details...

EDIT: wrong, please read @code65536 below...
    Edited by d8rmir on October 2, 2015 10:12AM
  • miked83b14_ESO
    miked83b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    d8rmir wrote: »
    Only large parts of gear (body, legs, head, shield) allow full benefit from the enchantment, in the case of other parts the enchantment is capped.
    For instance, a gold and a purple glyph on your belt will have the same effect (and maybe even weaker glyphs?). But if you try with your cuirass, you wil definitely see the difference.
    I am sorry I cannot give you the exact value of this cap and the optimal pairing item-color, maybe someone else can give you more details...

Thx for clearing that up for me. It makes sense since we're told to use Infused Trait on big pieces and Divines Traits on small pieces.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your armor quality and your enchantment quality are two different, separate things.

You can place a white enchantment on a gold piece of armor, or a gold enchantment on a white piece of armor. Upgrading that armor's quality only changes the armor's stats (and its set bonuses, if any), but it won't affect the enchantment. If you upgrade a piece of green armor with green enchantment to blue, then you will also need to re-enchant the item with a blue enchantment if you want a corresponding enchantment upgrade. You can place a gold enchant on a piece of white armor and then upgrade that armor to gold, or you can upgrade that armor to gold and then place the gold enchant on it--you get the exact same results either way.

Caveat 1: If the armor piece has the infused trait, then upgrading the armor quality will increase the potency of the infused trait and increase the infused bonus you get from the enchantment. But the base enchantment potency will still be the same unless you re-enchant it.

Caveat 2: For non-crafted (i.e., dropped) pieces of gear that came with a default enchantment, the enchantment's base potency will increase with armor quality upgrades. So upgrading a green Martial Knowledge piece to blue will also result in its enchantment upgrading to blue, assuming that you had never re-enchanted the piece and it still has its original enchantment.

Caveat 3: Large pieces (head, chest, legs, shield) will have full enchantment potency. This is why people recommend using infused on them. Other pieces have somewhere around 40% the enchantment potency. So a gold enchant on a belt will give you less than a gold enchant on a helmet. But you will still see differences between the different enchantment levels, so a gold enchant on a belt will still be stronger than a purple enchant on a belt.
    Edited by code65536 on October 1, 2015 6:46PM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • BorrawinTheWarrior
    Aspect runes determine the quality of your enchantment glyph. (White, Green, Blue, Purple, Gold). Quality becoming better in that order. The higher the quality, the higher the numbers are on the enchantment.

FYI.
    Essence Runes - These runes determine what type of glyph will be made. Stam,Health,Frost DMG etc.

Potency Runes - These determine what level your glyphs will be. Also they determine whether the glyph will have a negative (drain) or positive effect.
  • d8rmir
    d8rmir
    ✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »

Caveat 3: Large pieces (head, chest, legs, shield) will have full enchantment potency. This is why people recommend using infused on them. Other pieces have somewhere around 40% the enchantment potency. So a gold enchant on a belt will give you less than a gold enchant on a helmet. But you will still see differences between the different enchantment levels, so a gold enchant on a belt will still be stronger than a purple enchant on a belt.

Thank you for correcting me...my "test" belt was indeed a dropped Martial Knowledge item, that's why I didn't see any difference when putting a better glyph on it.
    Sorry to the OP for my answer.