The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Stamina Or Magicka NB and what race?

Ayrs
Ayrs
Title, looking to start up a NB as i've always enjoyed rogue like characters. Cant decide between magicka and stam can someone give me a quick rundown on the differences and what races i should look at for each spec?
REEEEEEE
  • WarCheifLugo
    Well a stamina night lads is more like an assassin and does great burst damage at the cost of some surviablity and magicka does good dps using magic n can be rather annoying
    Lol
    The Dragon of the west , Daggerfall Coveinet Warrior
  • Stannum
    Stannum
    ✭✭✭✭
    For stamina builds good races are imperial, redgard, orcimers, bosmers
    For magika - bretons, altmers, dunmers
  • ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ARGONIAN SON

But seriously, Argonians actually make great NB tanks.
    Gore-of-the-Forest Argonian Nightblade
    Wode Earthrender Breton Dragonknight
    Ceol the Last Baron Redguard Dragonknight
    Wayra High Elf Sorceress
    Erebain Salothran Dark Elf Templar
    Rituals-of-the-Forest Argonian Warden
  • Mhylton44142
    Mhylton44142
    ✭✭
    I think it all depends on what you want to do. If you want to be more "rogue-ish", then go stamina--your weapons will hit harder and some of your class morphs can become stamina based as well. I'm currently running a level 30 redguard stamina NB. My weapons are bow and 2H/DW. I can't make up my mind which one I like the most, but I have the DW skills I want (rapid strikes and steel tornado) so I'm using the 2H too). I really like the char a alot. What's funny is that EVERY time I do Waywrest sewers with him, I snipe the big alligator mini-boss from the top of the stairs and he ALWAYS comes after ME! Not the guys beating on him in his face. Anyways, if you prefer to be magicka based, possibly use a resto staff for healing as second weapon and have good DPS with your class abilities-go magicka based. If you go this route, have dual wiled swords as your magicka spells will hit harder.

Spot on here in my opinion.
    Edited by Mhylton44142 on September 30, 2015 5:10PM
  • Ayrs
    Ayrs
    I was thinking maybe i would try a Dunmer Stam/Magicka hybrid with bow/dw thoughts?
    REEEEEEE
  • revonine
    revonine
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ayrs wrote: »
    I was thinking maybe i would try a Dunmer Stam/Magicka hybrid with bow/dw thoughts?
    Hybrids are unfortunately not very viable in endgame as your sacrificing alot to maintain even mediocre damage. It's either all into stamina or magicka. However even as as stamina user you'll be using some magicka to buff and cloak etc or as a magicka user you'll still use stamina to dodge roll and breakfree. Damage wise focus on one main stat only.

As a generalization though stamina nightblades do more damage and magicka nightblades have more utility.
    For race choice I agree that this:
    is spot on.
    Though an argument can be made for imperial swinging either way.
    Edited by revonine on October 1, 2015 5:47PM
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go Imperial if you can, then you can re-spec later if you decide you prefer Magicka instead of Stamina or vice-versa.

I do agree with the rest: stamblades have more punch, but magblades have more survivability and versatility. I have both, and I personally prefer the magblade, but both are fun to play.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Olen_Mikko
    Olen_Mikko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First you need to understand differences between magicka and stamina NB.
    You can't spam stealth / heal / resto-abilities, and be effective burst-killer, or vice versa.

Stamina is more of a one-shot-willy and burst build, taking out victims lost from horde, or the weakest players.

Magicka is more oriented in draining opponent's resources and vanishing away, if not succeeded.

Then there is some individuals, that have succeeded to build viable NB tank, but i'm only testing it yet, so let's not talk about that.

Think about your style of play and then decide.

For stamina NB, with a burst, i think there's no better than Khajiit. They get awesome crit bonus and bonus for doing damage from stealth.

Other good stamina choices are bosmer, redguard and imperial.

For magicka, there's good choices between Breton and Altmer. Both have hefty pool of mana. Difference is bretons reduced mana cost and spell resistance and Altmers mana recovery and flame damage.

Ofc, if you're not a min/maxer, go with the race you like most.

Edited by Olen_Mikko on October 1, 2015 7:33PM
    NB enthusiastic:
    1. Woodhippie stamblade - DW hard-hitter / PvE
    2. Know-it-all elf Magblade - Healer / PvE & PvP
    3. Hate-them-all elf Magblade - Destrostaff AoE monster / PvE
    4. Cyrodiil-Refugee stamblade - Stamina Tank / PvE

Go dominion or go home

Nightblade-Hipster. I played Nightblade before it was cool - from 1.5 onwards.
  • lynog85
    lynog85
    ✭✭✭
    Stam, redguard.
  • hardcore_gmr
    hardcore_gmr
    ✭✭✭
    Ayrs wrote: »

Dunmer works with stamina based nightblade and the extra magic from racial passive is helpful with feeling like a hybrid. Do not split resources to actually be a hybrid because you will only gimp your damage output.

• Ayrs
    Ayrs
    Thank you all for the responses! Going to try stam and see how that works out
    REEEEEEE
  • Artemisshrikes
    Artemisshrikes
    ✭✭✭
    Stamina as Redguard
    VR 16 Dragonknight Sarenvog (AD, Former Emperor)