The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Crafting after IC: Is there a point?

ianshere82b14_ESO
Before you flame this post, please let me explain. I have a life, so even though I have been playing since beta I can only craft 6 trait sets (more or less). So I can not craft any of the 8, 9, 10 trait sets which may prove worthy of skill points (maybe?). Even with the points in crafting I still can not create the sets that are available in IC from stones.

Now to the actual question - Is it worth actually spending skill points in the crafting perks other than the upgrade ones like tempur expertise, etc...??

To me crafting in ESO was actually important prior to this patch and now it has taken a 3rd row seat to farming. I wanted to just see what other people are thinking if crafting is a complete waste now or...?
  • ianshere82b14_ESO
    I see there are quite a few vies on the post but no comments. I suppose it is just me then. Sorry for wasting time.
  • Swindy
    Swindy
    ✭✭✭
    Crafting has become more about the grind for mats & motifs & cash since 1.7...so everyone is out there, lots with multiple toons, farming & doing daily writs.
    I've all my crafting full of skill points PURELY to farm & deconstruct the most effectively, to then sell & do the next days writs, rinse & repeat, to buy rarer mats & motifs & the such from guild stores.
    Since 1.7 I now see huge amounts of VR9-16 characters I'd never seen in Craglorn before appear every day at writ time for this reason, and I see them all out farming afterwards, then they're primary VR16's are all off to IC to farm the sewers.

1.7 hasn't been kind to crafting so far, and the added monetary grind needed to purchase the VR16 specialty gear/motifs makes for most of my time now grinding Craglorn & sewers.
    Cyro is so much prettier to grind, and safer lol, but a lot less mats to be found.

I'm solo Pve, and have completed what Pve I can in IC.
    Being without a group my little NB cannot contemplate WGT or such so I farm to maybe one day have the funds to start purchasing VR16 gear, when it becomes available more readily.
    At present though I can not afford even a single agility piece, nor the mats to make VR16 from scratch since they are TV stone only, and limited stocks in guild stores at prices that make crafting an individual gold medium armour piece about 100k...but that's why it's called a grind. :smile:
    II Swindy II

Australian on Xbox NA (ex EU)
  • mjones433b16_ESO
    Swindy wrote: »
    Crafting has become more about the grind for mats & motifs & cash since 1.7...so everyone is out there, lots with multiple toons, farming & doing daily writs.
    I've all my crafting full of skill points PURELY to farm & deconstruct the most effectively, to then sell & do the next days writs, rinse & repeat, to buy rarer mats & motifs & the such from guild stores.
    Since 1.7 I now see huge amounts of VR9-16 characters I'd never seen in Craglorn before appear every day at writ time for this reason, and I see them all out farming afterwards, then they're primary VR16's are all off to IC to farm the sewers.

1.7 hasn't been kind to crafting so far, and the added monetary grind needed to purchase the VR16 specialty gear/motifs makes for most of my time now grinding Craglorn & sewers.
    Cyro is so much prettier to grind, and safer lol, but a lot less mats to be found.

Being without a group my little NB cannot contemplate WGT or such so I farm to maybe one day have the funds to start purchasing VR16 gear, when it becomes available more readily.
    At present though I can not afford even a single agility piece, nor the mats to make VR16 from scratch since they are TV stone only, and limited stocks in guild stores at prices that make crafting an individual gold medium armour piece about 100k...but that's why it's called a grind. :smile:
    Don't forget u can deconstruct items u get of mobs in ic to get mats for lv16 armour
  • Swindy
    Swindy
    ✭✭✭
    Swindy wrote: »

Don't forget u can deconstruct items u get of mobs in ic to get mats for lv16 armour
    That & TV is how I crafted all the VR15 I'm wearing/fighting with. :smile:

Although I did just by endurance dagger, ring, & necklace, and I must say, yes my stamina cost took a hit as my jewelry were both reduce cost by 201...but I've never had so much survive-ability. Standard non-food I only had 14k health, and these three items, with their little boost, seem to be giving me far more protection in NPC fights than their numbers dictate.

II Swindy II

• FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes it's worth crafting at v16. Have you taken a look at the sets you can buy with tv? You might not like any of them, I don't, they're all pretty niche, at least the 5 bonuses are. Some of the crafted sets will offer you 2, 3, and 4 bonuses that the tv sets might not. For example Willows Path now grants health regen, stamina regen and magicka regen as a 2, 3 and 4 bonus. Yellow v16 kagrenac's hope gives you 224 spell damage as a 5 piece bonus. I think it's definitely worth investing in crafting after v16. I have guild mates who I consider more hardcore than me come to me and ask me to make v16 glyphs for them. If you were business-minded you could make a whole bunch of gold from being a v16 crafter.
    PC | EU
  • Fenrlr
    Fenrlr
    ✭✭✭
    I was sure it was a bug when i saw mats jump from 15 (vr15) to 140 (vr16) when i was in crafting ui.
    :(
    Lynxa - Nightblade - EU - PC
  • ianshere82b14_ESO
    Yes it's worth crafting at v16. Have you taken a look at the sets you can buy with tv? You might not like any of them, I don't, they're all pretty niche, at least the 5 bonuses are. Some of the crafted sets will offer you 2, 3, and 4 bonuses that the tv sets might not. For example Willows Path now grants health regen, stamina regen and magicka regen as a 2, 3 and 4 bonus. Yellow v16 kagrenac's hope gives you 224 spell damage as a 5 piece bonus. I think it's definitely worth investing in crafting after v16. I have guild mates who I consider more hardcore than me come to me and ask me to make v16 glyphs for them. If you were business-minded you could make a whole bunch of gold from being a v16 crafter.

Gold really isnt all that hard to get. My crafting has never been about gold as there is nothing to purchase anyways besides more bank slots which as soon as the eso+ bags come out will be mostly pointless as well. Yes I have looked at the sets like Shield-Breaker and find that 5 piece bonus much more appealing than any crafted 5 piece. However I have to say that i am currently running two 4 piece bonuses anyways. Nobody is required to use a crafter to get the best gear in the game anymore since you can just farm TV stones and open vaults over and over. Even if you do decide to use a crafter, either your own or purchase items the cost will be high (except willpower since they could be farmed, i think fixed after patch today?). I was in a group last night where several members were giving full stacks of ether for 10 of the other items. In the end, i still dont see a good argument to this DLC being nice to crafters in any way shape or form and as it has always been my main focus since creating my original character i feel pushed to the side by zos. They did say that the best items in the game would be crafted - i dont see it zos. There does not seem to be a distinct quality difference between a V16 i can craft and one i can easily pay 8k TV (or pay 60 trophy for) besides the ability to choose which trait goes on it - thats just a nice feature, not a quality difference. I dont consider that being worth somewhere around 130 skill points and countless days of farming...call me crazy.
  • NobleNerd
    NobleNerd
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fenrlr wrote: »
    I was sure it was a bug when i saw mats jump from 15 (vr15) to 140 (vr16) when i was in crafting ui.

Nope, no bug and then you have to ask yourself is it really worth crafting that v16 gear that has nominal stats but 100 times the mats needed? I see no point in it.
    BLOOD RAVENS GAMING
    ~a mature gaming community~
    Website
    DISCORD
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NobleNerd wrote: »
    Fenrlr wrote: »

Nope, no bug and then you have to ask yourself is it really worth crafting that v16 gear that has nominal stats but 100 times the mats needed? I see no point in it.

So craft it at VR15 and use VR15 gear. And when you get enough mats, re-craft it at VR16.

And yes, there are differences. For weapons, there's a pretty substantial gap of around 100 damage between 15 and 16, at gold level. The difference is marginal at every other color, but at gold, there's a huge difference.

For armor, the difference in stats lie in the enchantment strength at each level.

The priority is definitely with weapons. You can ignore the armor, as several hundred points worth of magicka/health/stam isn't going to make much of a difference at VR16. But if there's one piece of gear that you should make at VR16, it's your weapon, as you're looking at around a 200-point difference between VR14 gold and VR16 gold, and that does matter.
    Edited by code65536 on September 28, 2015 6:32PM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Muizer
    Muizer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TBH my main problem is with enchanting. Used to be that you could always put some enchantment on your gear, because the potency runes weren't that rare. It was the quality of the glyphs via the round runes where the bottleneck was. As you can re-enchant anything, it was always possible to put a lesser quality glyph on something if you didn't have a KUTA.

Now I can create v16 gear..........but I cannot enchant it AT ALL, because that requires a potency rune that can only be got from Molag Bal or trove scamp.

Scratch Molag as I never get to see him since my game crashes without fail when he shows up.
    Edited by Muizer on October 3, 2015 11:39AM
    Please stop making requests for game features. ZOS have enough bad ideas as it is!
  • Swindy
    Swindy
    ✭✭✭
    Muizer wrote: »
    TBH my main problem is with enchanting. Used to be that you could always put some enchantment on your gear, because the potency runes weren't that rare. It was the quality of the glyphs via the round runes where the bottleneck was. As you can re-enchant anything, it was always possible to put a lesser quality glyph on something if you didn't have a KUTA.

Now I can create v16 gear..........but I cannot enchant it AT ALL, because that requires a potency rune that can only be got from Molag Bal or trove scamp.

Scratch Molag as I never get to see him since my game crashes without fail when he shows up.
    You can buy them from the TV merchant, at a mere 800 TV each.
    I've had to do that, as although I lucked upon a party at sewer central killing Bal & joined in, then killed a ganking blue, but the drop for killing Bal was minimal, even with only 6-8 of us there in total.
    Felt quite ripped off tbh after all that sneaking & fighting.
    (Assuming you have DLC of course.)
    II Swindy II

• Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Totally.

Honestly, the new sets aren't great.

Some are worse than 3/4 trait crafter sets.
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have to spend skill points to be able to make items of the higher levels up to V16. Just because you don't have the traits researched to make the 8 or 9 trait sets doesn't mean that you won't be creating a V14 or higher item. Your just limited to the set you can make it in. IMO the sets aren't that great to use. I make more of the old sets at V16 than the new ones with IC.

Hopefully Orsinium will have better crafted sets available.
    NA Server - Kildair
  • NativeJoe
    NativeJoe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a point to crafting?

Are you a min maxer?
    Most of the drops as of late have been better then crafted gear...So currently there is no point I can see.
    And if you need anything odds are you can just buy the filler pieces off another crafter (there arn't any crafter locked items in the game currently so anything is fair game)

are you an average player?

Then yes there is TONS of benefits to crafting. having the option to create your own sets to level up with all day every day at any level is amazing. You can skip all the dungeons, all the non-required quests, and put your nose straight to the grind stone and reach end game faster with a crafter then otherwise.

Also it's cheaper... in auction houses the mats to create certain items are 1/4th the cost of actually buying the item outright. Certainly not always the case, but sometimes it works out.

Future proofing... and getting the traits is just a good policy. Later in the game they may create crafter locked items where in order to *Get* the best in slot amulet or enchantment, or piece of gear... might actually require u to max these skills out. Not to mention if your not min maxing...being able to choose what you look like to some degree is highly valued. >.< im min maxing and it looks horrible...so I literally have to put a polymorph over my character ~doesn't help when I see the travesty on the character select screen tho...I puke in my mouth a little bit every time I see it.
    650cp+ Sorcerer 100+ days /played
    Broken'Stick North American Server
    https://www.twitch.tv/trixytricks
  • mklundub17_ESO
    mklundub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I think ESO crafting is more useful than the majority of other MMO's. The only issue with crafted gear I see for IC is there aren't any new meta stamina sets but Armor Master and Kagrenac's are both incredibly good sets for tanks/magic users.
    Mass Terror
    PS4 | NA | AD
    v16 Imperial Templar
  • Stickleback
    Stickleback
    ✭✭
    I think learning all traits is never a waste of time. Even if it's to be prepared for a future DLC that has a set which everyone wants. I think with the removal of VR ranks, they have said they are looking into more variation of gearsets, both drops and crafted, so it caters for everyone.

Also having lvl 50 in a crafting skill, and being able to put max points in your crafting, will allow you to pick up the highest level nodes in Orsinium.

So I don't think it's a waste of time, even if it's not the "best gear = crafted gear" they once claimed.

EU server / Ebonheart Pact

Vavara - Templar Healer
    Stickleback - DK Tank
    Stickle'back - Sorc DPS
    Chops - NB DPS