The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Dear cloak nerf crew,

• DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The fact that everyone who isn't a nightblade is complaining about cloak shows there is a problem. My sorcerer has to run the SAME skills on both bars, except that my second bar is dedicated for only nightblades by adding Radiant Light, which really SUCKS! Every other BS option that nightblades talk about using to counter it is almost useless.
  • Tavore1138
    Tavore1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Beedles wrote: »
    cloak IS TO op only fight that I loose now are to wb macorers and stealthers who caltrop/cam and 2 hits stealth repeat till your dead you have no way to target them they move to fast its just a joke that this has been in game like this. ALL the counters are useless against this with the speed they can achieve. Cut stealth movement by 100% and it might make some of the counters work.

I would suggest that the broken two handed skill you mention is the real problem here - but obviously don't want a ban so won't elaborate.
    GM - Malazan
    Raid Leader - Hungry Wolves
    Legio Mortuum
  • Tavore1138
    Tavore1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DannyLV702 wrote: »
    The fact that everyone who isn't a nightblade is complaining about cloak shows there is a problem. My sorcerer has to run the SAME skills on both bars, except that my second bar is dedicated for only nightblades by adding Radiant Light, which really SUCKS! Every other BS option that nightblades talk about using to counter it is almost useless.

The reason everyone is complaining is because the skill has only worked for 3 weeks and everyone who has been playing is used to seeing a NB try and cloak, laughing at us for slotting the skill and then just hitting us anyway - now they have to actually try and hit a cloaked character and they would rather post repeatedly and get a nerf instead of slotting one of the many ways to counter it.

This genuinely is a L2P issue because to all intents and purposes this is a new skill that has suddenly been introduced that you need to learn to counter as if it was part of a brand new skill line.

This is highlighted more because ZOS designed IC to be friendly to gankers and the sneaky class finally got their core skill working at the same time.

Personally I feel ZOS should give this longer to bed in before making and adjustments, the good players are already adapting to the working cloak and given time the rest will follow - if it still needs looking at after that has happened then fine.

GM - Malazan
    Legio Mortuum
  • Lutallo
    Lutallo
    ✭✭✭
    @SourishWhale

Why I think Cloak is OP:

Every class has their own "escape" mechanism, which has it's physical limits because of counters.

Templar has healing, but it can be out-dpsed, major defiled, CC'd and it was nerfed to 50% in PvP.
    DK has general tankiness, which can be out-dpsed, hard CC'd and now has taken a massive hit from the stam-block-nerf
    Sorcs have their streak, which can be easily countered by any charge, which most PvP players have at their disposal (crit rush, ambush, toppling charge, another streak) and has been severely nerfed with 50% cost.

Then we have Nightblade's Cloaking, no nerf received in the latest update (a buff, instead).
    All the above 'escape' mechanisms result in complete resource depletion and eventual death (except maybe streak). They also have very simple counters, with the only exception being a charge needed for Streakers.
    Cloak can be countered by AoE's, revealing flare, detect invis, caltrops and DoT's.
    AoE's have minimal effect, it can be recloaked.
    Revealing Flare is a good hard counter, but it can be cleansed off and stealth can be re-entered. Also it's magicka only, expensive to cast and requires alliance levelling.
    Detect invis is expensive to run, plus double take is a counter to this, which almost every NB runs.
    Caltrops is a good counter, one which I like to use, but is stamina only.
    DoT's are good, but most nightblades can either cleanse or have the morph that removes DoT's.

All these counters requires very specific skills to run. Cloak can't simply be CC'd or Out-Dpsed. You have to have skills to counter cloak, which most people don't factor into their PvP builds and so there is an outrage at NBs. Less outrage at Streak because most people have a charge in their PvP bar.

With cloak, the escape is way too efficient and it can even be used for an offence. You can use cloaking to reset battles, to gank people, to heal up and repeatedly cloaking to gain the critical hit if you have the morph. To make matters worse, the cost and timing of cloak makes it more annoying. My Stam Nightblade can cloak about 10 times if I use a pot, whilst most Magicka NB's can cloak indefinitely. On my stamina nightblade, pop rally, pop vigor, cloak and i'm at full health, ready to critically strike the guy who is still wasting his resources trying to find me with tiny AoE's.

So, why is cloak OP? Because it's by far the most efficient escape, it can be used to gank, it can be used to heal, it can be used to run away, it can be used to get a critical hit, it can be used to remove effects and it can be used to reset battles. Imagine if any other class had a 7-in-1 ability?

"Rock is too OP, please nerf"
    Sincerely, Scissors.
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For one! To efficiently escape, many nightblades have an entire back bar dedicated to running away.
    Cloak to stealth
    Purge to wipe marks
    Double take to get away quickly
    Shuffle to remove snares
    Some even run vield strike just for the movement speed.

Dedicating half your skill slots to stay alive, is kinda mandatory for any class if solo or small scale. So not sure I get the big sacrifice.

I need to slot Purge/Purify on all my classes. I also use armor skills like Shuffle or Harness on all my classes. Than there's the templar and DK, they cant even get magicka based Major Expedition to begin with, so cry me a river, you have mobility and get to slot Double Take lol.

But more on Topic. I only feel Cloak is a issue in IC really. There's a reason all our NB's gets home banking 10k stones every single day, while the rest looses most on the way. But in actual Cyrodiil, it's much easier to counter cloak, you can AoE bomb all over the place, limited hiding and LoS spots, you can keep target lock easy without NPC's getting in front. Also very little gain from escaping.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a member of the "Cloak Nerf Crew" and even I find the original post full of half-truths and exaggerations.

Poor NBs have to slot purge? The horror! It's not like purge is an excellent utility spell that removes all sorts of negative effects and is the reason why people think Zergs are OP. And you are complaining about double take? Because having major evasion and expedition is inconvenient for an offensive minded NB?

What NB in the game moves at the standard sneak speed besides none of them?

Did you just call DK beasts? Have you not even logged into Cyrodiil lately?

Your entire premise assumes that the issue people have with cloak is that it allows the NB to escape. If you actually read their posts, their main concern is not chasing down a "cowardly" NB, rather it is having to face an brave NB who aggressively uses cloak.

Now, since I play a DK and I know what it feels like to log into a class that was utterly eviscerated and just plain sucks now, I have some sympathy for what NBs fear. So I'd rather the dev team not nerf cloak and instead give other classes something to do except slotting a bad skill that requires PvP rank 14 (!), drink a potion that is lazy not to mention dumb, and running around like a headless chicken spamming AoEs and wasting their resources. Your post isn;t exactly contributing to an honest dialogue that might make that happen.
    Edited by Joy_Division on September 25, 2015 2:33PM
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cloak ain't so bad. It's fear that's the problem.

With the buff to Cloak and the nerf to perma-blocking, should fear still go through block?

Maybe that's for another thread.
  • Tavore1138
    Tavore1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »

With the buff to Cloak and the nerf to perma-blocking, should fear still go through block?

There is no buff to cloak - they simply mostly fixed it after well over a year of it being broken. That sort of false information doesn't help anyone.
    GM - Malazan
    Legio Mortuum
  • Xeven
    Xeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont want a nerf to cloak for NB who use it for crits, stuns, and escapes, strategically. I want a nerf to cloak for NB who dont actually fight. They just use it for griefing. Cloak surprise attack wrecking blow *vanish*. Over and over and over.

Unfortunately there is no way to do that without punishing NB who actually DO fight.

Regen must be reduced while cloaked, or it must get the bolt escape treatment. It is way, way, too spammable.

Edited by Xeven on September 25, 2015 3:28PM
  • Tavore1138
    Tavore1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Xeven wrote: »
    I dont want a nerf to cloak for NB who use it for crits, stuns, and escapes, strategically. I want a nerf to cloak for NB who dont actually fight. They just use it for griefing. Cloak surprise attack wrecking blow *vanish*. Over and over and over.

Unfortunately there is no way to do that without punishing NB who actually DO fight.

Regen must be reduced while cloaked, or it must get the bolt escape treatment. It is way, way, too spammable.

Only for magicka builds - 3 will drain my magicka as a stamina NB.

In your scenario the skill that is broken and needs fixing is not cloak and it is not surprise attack - I'll let you guess which one I mean.
    GM - Malazan
    Legio Mortuum
  • thelordoffelines
    thelordoffelines
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cant wait till cloak gets nerfed. I dont think its op its just retribution for all the unneeded nerfs and bs mechanics they whined into existance. Just like we didnt need shield breaker, we dont need this but your tears will taste sooooooo gooooooood.
  • Zorgon_The_Revenged
    Zorgon_The_Revenged
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They might nerf it with the next PvP update.............
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no buff to cloak - they simply mostly fixed it after well over a year of it being broken. That sort of false information doesn't help anyone.

Where was it ever explicitly stated that single target spells already on their way to the NB would not break cloak? In the tooltip? AFAIK it was never suppose to work that way.

But they made it that way for 2.1, so it's a buff to me. A design change. A way to make it better , more powerful and easier to use.

Again unless you can dig up a quote from a dev saying that I am just going to assume they changed it so that it was stronger. And I'm not complaining about cloak anyway.
  • CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Where was it ever explicitly stated that single target spells already on their way to the NB would not break cloak? In the tooltip? AFAIK it was never suppose to work that way.

But they made it that way for 2.1, so it's a buff to me. A design change. A way to make it better , more powerful and easier to use.

Again unless you can dig up a quote from a dev saying that I am just going to assume they changed it so that it was stronger. And I'm not complaining about cloak anyway.

I recall reading a few stray things ZOS did in the past to try to fix cloak. I checked all the patch notes and found no mention of them but if all of these minor tweaks are still on the skill I wonder what the tooltip would look like.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CP5 wrote: »

I recall reading a few stray things ZOS did in the past to try to fix cloak. I checked all the patch notes and found no mention of them but if all of these minor tweaks are still on the skill I wonder what the tooltip would look like.

They made it so your own DoT's won't break your cloak (that took many patches as it seems they have to do it on a skill by skill basis) because that would make all DoT's pointless for NB's. But in other games I have played, being able to track players in stealth by using skills with channels, or projectiles is actually a feature. A counter-play. Now these skills just drop out (correct me if wrong) and stop working altogether.

To me these types of counter-plays are more interesting than "slot RML", or "use detect potion" since they have value on your bar outside of just countering NB's.
  • Tavore1138
    Tavore1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Very hard to read because of the tiny writing.
    GM - Malazan
    Legio Mortuum
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"Become invisible. While invisible your are immune to all single target spells, but can still be revealed by area of effect damage. Taking any aggressive action will break stealth, but your own currently active DoT's will not reveal you.

[secondary morph effect here]"

Would that about cover it?
  • Lava_Croft
    Lava_Croft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    To all the people who are happy Cloak is supposedly getting nerfed:

The nerf to Cloak that ZOS has proposed will solve about zero of the problems that you scrubs have regarding Cloak.
  • CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

"Become invisible. While invisible your are immune to all single target spells, but can still be revealed by area of effect damage. Taking any aggressive action will break stealth, but your own currently active DoT's will not reveal you.

Who knows. ZOS did a lot of patch work when fixing a lot of the nb skills in the past. They probably have little idea as to what exactly is in the skill.
    Lava_Croft wrote: »

The nerf to Cloak that ZOS has proposed will solve about zero of the problems that you scrubs have regarding Cloak.

Yep, the joy of ZOS balance changes.
  • Lava_Croft
    Lava_Croft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Who knows. ZOS did a lot of patch work when fixing a lot of the nb skills in the past. They probably have little idea as to what exactly is in the skill.

It has nothing to do with ZOS, but it has everything to do with total scrubs who are bad at this game and just want to hear the word 'Nerf' in order to be satisfied. The fact that said nerf is doing nothing to decrease their incredible level of suck is completely beyond them.

They'll make new threads.
  • Xeven
    Xeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It has nothing to do with ZOS, but it has everything to do with total scrubs who are bad at this game and just want to hear the word 'Nerf' in order to be satisfied. The fact that said nerf is doing nothing to decrease their incredible level of suck is completely beyond them.

Because ZOS listens to the players, and have no minds of their own, right? They obviously think it needs adjustment.

You sound mad bro. I'm sorry.
  • Lava_Croft
    Lava_Croft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Because ZOS listens to the players, and have no minds of their own, right? They obviously think it needs adjustment.

Like I've said before, I'm not mad in the slightest about the proposed nerf to Cloak. I'm just trying to point out to the bads that this supposed nerf will not help them and that they should prepare their new torrent of nerf threads.
    Edited by Lava_Croft on September 25, 2015 5:54PM
  • CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Like I've said before, I'm not mad in the slightest about the proposed nerf to Cloak. I'm just trying to point out to the bads that this supposed nerf will not help them and that they should prepare their new torrent of nerf threads.

I think a change to the phrase is needed now: "The nerfing will continue until morale our skill improves"
  • rordogg
    rordogg
    ✭✭✭
    Reeko wrote: »
    Lutallo wrote: »
    No magicka regen during cloak OR increased cost per cloak.

Problem solved. NB's can't hit their "I Win" button and run away or repeatedly stealth for a 10k critical.

How does running away make me win? If anything i lost a fight i have to run away from lol

Because it gives you the ability to continually reset the fight until you do win. Not saying you do it yourself. But many a Nightblade has attacked me. And then run off. And waiting for me to start killing npcs. And then attacks me again and runs away. Make it so mobs will see through your cloak and I have no further complaint.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Problem solved. NB's can't hit their "I Win" button and run away or repeatedly stealth for a 10k critical.

How does running away make me win? If anything i lost a fight i have to run away from lol

How did running away make a sorc win - lololol?!
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Secret: I don´t have issues with cloak nor did i have any with bolt escape or shields. I simply enjoy the flailing and wailing of the nightblades. Also it´s fun when the others get hit by the nerfhammer. Tehehe.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    rordogg wrote: »

Because it gives you the ability to continually reset the fight until you do win. Not saying you do it yourself. But many a Nightblade has attacked me. And then run off. And waiting for me to start killing npcs. And then attacks me again and runs away. Make it so mobs will see through your cloak and I have no further complaint.

So the problem are the NPCs? Maybe people should start using them more strategically... you know, DKs have a chain and there are those nice invis potions...

just an idea...
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Lava_Croft
    Lava_Croft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »

Secret: I don´t have issues with cloak nor did i have any with bolt escape or shields. I simply enjoy the flailing and wailing of the nightblades. Also it´s fun when the others get hit by the nerfhammer. Tehehe.
    For people like you, ZOS adds gear like Shield Breaker.
  • Mr_Nobody
    Mr_Nobody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a member of the "Cloak Nerf Crew" and even I find the original post full of half-truths and exaggerations.

Poor NBs have to slot purge? The horror! It's not like purge is an excellent utility spell that removes all sorts of negative effects and is the reason why people think Zergs are OP. And you are complaining about double take? Because having major evasion and expedition is inconvenient for an offensive minded NB?

What NB in the game moves at the standard sneak speed besides none of them?

Did you just call DK beasts? Have you not even logged into Cyrodiil lately?

Your entire premise assumes that the issue people have with cloak is that it allows the NB to escape. If you actually read their posts, their main concern is not chasing down a "cowardly" NB, rather it is having to face an brave NB who aggressively uses cloak.

Now, since I play a DK and I know what it feels like to log into a class that was utterly eviscerated and just plain sucks now, I have some sympathy for what NBs fear. So I'd rather the dev team not nerf cloak and instead give other classes something to do except slotting a bad skill that requires PvP rank 14 (!), drink a potion that is lazy not to mention dumb, and running around like a headless chicken spamming AoEs and wasting their resources. Your post isn;t exactly contributing to an honest dialogue that might make that happen.

For a moment i thought i wrote this.

Every. Single. Word.
    ~ @Niekas ~

• Volrion
    Volrion
    ✭✭✭✭
    All I'm seeing is a ton of L2P scrubs complaining to be honest.

"You can pull a NB out of cloak but then he goes straight back into it..." - As soon as he comes out of cloak, gap close and CC him! You can't cloak when you can't control your character... While he's CC'd burn him to the ground. I do this all the time with my non NB characters and it works fine.

We need to stop all the scrubs having influence on nerfs and PVP patches.

If you can't kill a cloaking NB, I'd love to see how to fare against all the other classes in general.

Nerf's to all classes are making this game very boring.