Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Regarding Sorcerers

Artfuldodger
Artfuldodger
✭✭✭
V1 Sorcerer with the Seducer set, aside from 2 items that are of a different make, 2 heavy armour five light. Vampire.

Prolonged spell casting is not a problem health is, I seem to lose it quite quickly. This happens mainly with bosses and when facing 3 or more enemies. I can kill one or too quickly which enables me to avoid taking too much damage, I understand fire will affect me more so, plus having light armour. Just wanted to know what other Sorcerers do to counteract this, if any have similar issues aside from using shields that is.

Evidently the Sorcerer is going to be nerfed in the next patch, I'm on console, to what extent is it going to be? Concerned it will not be playable.

Thanks.

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.
-Johnny Depp
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used crit surge for self heals, and I swapped bar to restoration staff and cast a rapid regeneration or healing springs on myself in case things got tough. I haven't tested it with this new patch yet, so I don't know if it is still good or not :S
  • HebrewHatchet
    HebrewHatchet
    ✭✭✭
    I roll with a reinforced cuirass and a ring with a purple high level fire resist enchantment. Also, I r redistributed my attribute points into health until I had 15-16 k health unbuffed and then put the rest into magicka. The rest of my armor has either divines or infused with magicka enchantments ( to make up for the attribute points. I also wear medium shoulders in anticipation of getting undaunted mettel.

Don't forget that the cuirass provides way more armor than any other piece, so making it reinforced is a natural way to mitigate physical damage. Also, many things put out 14-16k damage in one hit, that's why you might want so much health. I'm writing this in my phone, so please excuse any spelling or grammar mistakes.

BTW I'm also a vampire sorcerer and this has worked well for me.
    Edited by HebrewHatchet on September 7, 2015 10:00PM
    [PS4 NA]
    PSN: HebrewHatchet
  • Artfuldodger
    Artfuldodger
    ✭✭✭
    I roll with a reinforced cuirass and a ring with a purple high level fire resist enchantment. Also, I r redistributed my attribute points into health until I had 15-16 k health unbuffed and then put the rest into magicka. The rest of my armor has either divines or infused with magicka enchantments ( to make up for the attribute points. I also wear medium shoulders in anticipation of getting undaunted mettel.

Don't forget that the cuirass provides way more armor than any other piece, so making it reinforced is a natural way to mitigate physical damage. Also, many things put out 14-16k damage in one hit, that's why you might want so much health. I'm writing this in my phone, so please excuse any spelling or grammar mistakes.

BTW I'm also a vampire sorcerer and this has worked well for me.

Thanks, will re evaluate armour when making a new set.

@failkiwib16_ESO

Going to add those, thanks.

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.
    -Johnny Depp
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Or possibly sweat out PVP until you hit rank 6 for support and gain Barrier ultimate, I only just unlocked it last night and can safely say you'll sponge pretty much any attack, final boss in Fungal Grotto cannot even kill you or your team with this on, currently sponging 33k damage alone plus Hardened ward @ 8K and Thundering presence gives huge resistance you won't need to worry about health that much.
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    8 Flawless Toons, all Classes.
    Master Angler
    Dro-M'artha Destroyer (at last)
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
  • Artfuldodger
    Artfuldodger
    ✭✭✭
    Or possibly sweat out PVP until you hit rank 6 for support and gain Barrier ultimate, I only just unlocked it last night and can safely say you'll sponge pretty much any attack, final boss in Fungal Grotto cannot even kill you or your team with this on, currently sponging 33k damage alone plus Hardened ward @ 8K and Thundering presence gives huge resistance you won't need to worry about health that much.

I don't really play pvp, that might change now though, sounds really good. Just hope it does not get nerfed in the next patch.

-Johnny Depp
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prolonged spell casting is not a problem health is, I seem to lose it quite quickly.

I have two words for you, Hardened Ward.

Keep that up and you will never lose health. You can also stack different kinds of shields for even more protection, but anything over 20K is overkill in most situations. I tend to add in Boundless Storm but I tank my Sorc, and I like the extra damage it does along with the movement speed.

Edited by Nestor on September 8, 2015 3:02PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Kobaal
    Kobaal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Prolonged spell casting is not a problem health is, I seem to lose it quite quickly.

I have two words for you, Hardened Ward.

Keep that up and you will never lose health. You can also stack different kinds of shields for even more protection, but anything over 20K is overkill in most situations. I tend to add in Boundless Storm but I tank my Sorc, and I like the extra damage it does along with the movement speed.

Yup, Keep hardened ward up at all times. If you need heals cast Healing ward to double up on your hardened ward and then get a nice heal.

I had no issues vr1 tanking 8 mobs at a time.
    Kobaal - VR16 Dragon Knight - PC [NA] Azura Star
    Kobaal Shadowborn - VR16 NightBlade - PC [NA] Azura Star
    Kobaal Stormborn- VR3 Sorcerer - PC [NA] Azura Star
    Fat Old Templar - lvl 19 Templar - PC [NA] BwB
  • acw37162
    acw37162
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Light armor shield annulment morphed into harness magica

Keep this this stacked with hardened ward and healing ward and that should get you though all most anything.
  • Artfuldodger
    Artfuldodger
    ✭✭✭
    @Nestor

Hi,

How did I get to V2 not using hardened ward I do not know. Morphed it today and yes it has made an improvement. I have been using steadfast ward, which I can morph soon, alongside it.

Thanks to you and @Kobaal
    -Johnny Depp
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just wanted to know what other Sorcerers do to counteract this...
    (looks around)

*whispers "provisioning"

Yeah, finding recipes can be tedious, but there are plenty of health recipes (green) to be found, so there's no shortage. In fact, you'll probably sell/destroy many because they're dupes.

When you get into the blue recipes, buffing two stats, it's even better. Then there's the rare, doing three.

I made over 160 oyster dishes which buff magicka and health and I rarely, rarely have a problem with health. Magicka, though, gets tricky, though I throw in a potion for those "just a little more" moments.

As a side trick, and you didn't hear this from me, if you're really low and just about to keel over, eat another dish, which replenishes to 100% (and resets the timer).

You definitely want to put skills where you can make up to 4 servings per recipe.

Leveling provisioning is the easiest skill. I would set aside about 30 inventory spots and take everything you find. Drink buff bar speed and I find them worthless, but they're great to leveling provision. I hit 50 in 3 or 4 days.

Food is literally everywhere, though some of the good ingredients (like tomatoes) are harder to find (I often steal flour and tomatoes, then clean them at a fence for 1g each).

I won't play a sorc without provisioning. The armor just isn't rated high enough for protection and casting ward spells is a slot I'd rather reserve for dealing damage.
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    V1 Sorcerer with the Seducer set, aside from 2 items that are of a different make, 2 heavy armour five light. Vampire.

Prolonged spell casting is not a problem health is, I seem to lose it quite quickly. This happens mainly with bosses and when facing 3 or more enemies. I can kill one or too quickly which enables me to avoid taking too much damage, I understand fire will affect me more so, plus having light armour. Just wanted to know what other Sorcerers do to counteract this, if any have similar issues aside from using shields that is.

Evidently the Sorcerer is going to be nerfed in the next patch, I'm on console, to what extent is it going to be? Concerned it will not be playable.

Thanks.
    Wards are your best friend. Also you don't need "prolonged spell casting" if you get your spell damage higher. I'd be surprised if your spell damage was even 1k with that setup. The top sorcs are exceeding 3k spell damage now.
    :trollin:
  • Kobaal
    Kobaal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Nestor

Hi,

How did I get to V2 not using hardened ward I do not know. Morphed it today and yes it has made an improvement. I have been using steadfast ward, which I can morph soon, alongside it.

Thanks to you and @Kobaal

No problem, Harness Magicka is also good. All 3 can stack but usually Hardened ward works by itself. If your facing Magik attacks you can use Harness Magika as a shield because it also restores your magicka. I use it in a lot of dungeons for Magicka management.

This is a pro secret. For instance like doing Engine Guardian boss on vet mode. When he does his poison phase. I just keep putting up Harness Magicka. I take no damage and my magicka regens to full so I never run out.

:smiley:
    Kobaal - VR16 Dragon Knight - PC [NA] Azura Star
    Kobaal Shadowborn - VR16 NightBlade - PC [NA] Azura Star
    Kobaal Stormborn- VR3 Sorcerer - PC [NA] Azura Star
    Fat Old Templar - lvl 19 Templar - PC [NA] BwB
  • Artfuldodger
    Artfuldodger
    ✭✭✭
    @Violynne Yes I will have to start provisioning, keep forgetting to eat which does not help thank you for the reply.

@eventide03b14a_ESO I have every skill, every passive. Really dont know how there getting 3k spell damage.

I have now combined Seducer armour with Warlock armour and jewellery, which has made a huge difference.
    Thanks all.

-Johnny Depp
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Violynne Yes I will have to start provisioning, keep forgetting to eat which does not help thank you for the reply.

@eventide03b14a_ESO I have every skill, every passive. Really dont know how there getting 3k spell damage.

I have now combined Seducer armour with Warlock armour and jewellery, which has made a huge difference.
    Thanks all.

That's because there is no spell damage on Warlock and Seducer. Those sets are a complete waste on a sorc. You really need to rethink your gear and then maybe you will come to understand how someone might achieve 3k spell damage. At the very least you should have 2500 buffed with a staff. If you dual wield swords you can get even higher. Stop using magicka regen gear, it's a crutch.
  • Artfuldodger
    Artfuldodger
    ✭✭✭
    @eventide03b14a_ESO Every video I have watched, every post on these forums I have read all suggest that the Seducer and Warlock sets are the best for Sorcerers. I have never read of or seen alternative armour that can be used.
    -Johnny Depp
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @eventide03b14a_ESO Every video I have watched, every post on these forums I have read all suggest that the Seducer and Warlock sets are the best for Sorcerers. I have never read of or seen alternative armour that can be used.

Then you are not looking hard enough. Those sets are garbage for end game. Warlock is just a crutch and I would only use two pieces of Seducer, and only if I was dual wielding swords.

Edited by eventide03b14a_ESO on September 9, 2015 5:14PM
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dark exchange, especially with the change in how it works with the upcoming patch (1 second tick, use only what you need) can benefit this greatly.

You'll get more health and magicka and get the benefit of stamina recovery - > health recovery (with the 10% bonus vamp provides.)

For ults, solo, devouring swarm is always a solid choice.

If you're not having trouble keeping your magicka bar up during prolonged fights, you might start looking into other gear. Magnus will give you similar effects while increasing your damage by increasing your spell power.

Fights will be shorter, less healing required. You can fine tune via CP's as needed, same with enchants.

Warlock is only going to benefit you for a few more levels before there will be better options. It's great for when you're first leveling, but you can probably move on to gear with more punch.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Since we're on the topic of Sorcerers and the best armor choices... What mix of armor would you guys recommend in terms of Light/Med/Heavy and what traits for each would provide the biggest bang for the buck?
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • Artfuldodger
    Artfuldodger
    ✭✭✭
    Traits vary, infused or training are pretty good. Too heavy pieces and five light. Heavy being chest and legs.
    Edited by Artfuldodger on September 9, 2015 7:52PM
    -Johnny Depp
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Traits vary, infused or training are pretty good. Too heavy pieces and five light. Heavy being chest and legs.

Its better to go 5 light, 1 medium and 1 heavy. This will let you take advantage of the Undaunted Passive - Undaunted Mettle.
  • Artfuldodger
    Artfuldodger
    ✭✭✭
    @Merlin13KAGL Thanks I will look into those bits of armour.

@Thelon Good point, its like learning to walk all over again lol.
    -Johnny Depp
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thelon wrote: »

Its better to go 5 light, 1 medium and 1 heavy. This will let you take advantage of the Undaunted Passive - Undaunted Mettle.

To make the most out of both of your suggestions, I'm guessing I should roll Heavy Chest, Medium Legs, and the rest Light Armor. Perhaps Impenetrable for the Chest and Legs, and Infused for the other pieces? That being said, as long as I'm using one piece of each armor, I'm assuming that I can take advantage of passives from each of those skill lines?
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    CGPsaint wrote: »

To make the most out of both of your suggestions, I'm guessing I should roll Heavy Chest, Medium Legs, and the rest Light Armor. Perhaps Impenetrable for the Chest and Legs, and Infused for the other pieces? That being said, as long as I'm using one piece of each armor, I'm assuming that I can take advantage of passives from each of those skill lines?
    If you're curious, this is what I'm currently using:

Helm Martial Knowledge Light
    Shoulder Martial Knowledge Light
    Chest Torug's Pact Heavy
    Arm Martial Knowledge Light
    Waist Adroitness Light
    Legs Torug's Pact Medium
    Boots Martial Knowledge Light

Neck Adroitness
    Ring 1 Cyrodiil's Light
    Ring 2 Cyrodiil's Light

Weapon 1 Torug's Pact - Lightning

Weapon 2 Master's - Restoration

• CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Chest Torug's Pact Heavy
    Waist Adroitness Light
    Legs Torug's Pact Medium

Neck Adroitness
    Ring 1 Cyrodiil's Light
    Ring 2 Cyrodiil's Light

I'm going to have to bookmark this for when I get to that point! My Sorcerer is still a lowly level 11, but I want to make sure that I'm bringing this toon up right!
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@CGPsaint

Many of the Armor passives require 5 pieces to be worn, so you won't benefit from all of them at once. I would not recommend Impenetrable on any piece, unless you're purely PvP focused, and even then im not sure this is best for a sorc. We use magicka for both offence (more magicka = more damage and sustain) and defence (shields scale from Max magicka, and more magicka means more blinks). This means that you would benefit most from having the Infused trait on major Armor pieces like your chest and legs.
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Chest Torug's Pact Heavy
    Waist Adroitness Light
    Legs Torug's Pact Medium

Neck Adroitness
    Ring 1 Cyrodiil's Light
    Ring 2 Cyrodiil's Light

I'm going to have to bookmark this for when I get to that point! My Sorcerer is still a lowly level 11, but I want to make sure that I'm bringing this toon up right!

Well things may change, but it's a good starting point. Because it's an MMO it's constantly evolving. By the time you get to V16 crit might be the way to go. You never know what they are going to do. Just try to stay informed on the current meta and you'll be fine. Best way is to find a guild with knowledgeable people to discuss these things with.
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Many of the Armor passives require 5 pieces to be worn, so you won't benefit from all of them at once. I would not recommend Impenetrable on any piece, unless you're purely PvP focused, and even then im not sure this is best for a sorc. We use magicka for both offence (more magicka = more damage and sustain) and defence (shields scale from Max magicka, and more magicka means more blinks). This means that you would benefit most from having the Infused trait on major Armor pieces like your chest and legs.

Noted. I should have all research completed for all armor by the time I hit level 50 on my Sorcerer, so I'll be ready to craft the necessary armor with the proper traits at that time.
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

@CGPsaint

I use nirn on my staff personally, otherwise getting more magicka and spell damage is the best way to maximize your DPS. There are actually a few passives that can benefit you even if you are only wearing one piece of armor. I would put points into every passive with the exception of:
    Medium Armor:
    Dexerity-Useless even if you are dual wielding
    Agility- Need 5 pieces
    Heavy Armor
    Bracing- Need 5 pieces

Otherwise even the small bonuses that the other passives give is a nice boost and since you're wearing those pieces anyway it's not a waste.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    One other little tidbit, don't forget you can shift 10-12 attribute points without respec just by changing your mundus stone (assuming you're using one that adds one of the three main attribute points.)

When you switch gear, too, if resources (Magicka) become an issue again, add Reduce Spell Cost enchantments to one or more of your jewelry - they'll usually give you better results at lower level/lower CP's.

Final note: Your gear choice is limited only by your inventory space - 12/13. Nothing says you can't have more than one set/sets for different situations, and the crafted ones are easy to come by.

Things that might look good in theorycraft may not work in practice due to your personal timing, etc. It simply may not feel right to you. Don't undersestimate the effect that can have as well.

Once you find the set that works, the skill combination that works, you'll know. After that, your game will never be the same again.

Good luck!

EDIT: Nirn prices should be coming down, but you're not obligated to shell out $$$ for nirn gear at lower levels, while at closer to cap, it's still a good option.
    Edited by Merlin13KAGL on September 10, 2015 10:45AM
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • steussy
    steussy
    ✭✭✭

Chest Torug's Pact Heavy
    Waist Adroitness Light
    Legs Torug's Pact Medium

Neck Adroitness
    Ring 1 Cyrodiil's Light
    Ring 2 Cyrodiil's Light