The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

One-hand & Shield Tanking Suggestion.

Zsymon
Zsymon
✭✭✭✭
Heavy armor and tank builds badly need some kind of improvements, so here is my suggestion for some easy changes.

1) Add an additional bonus to the Sword and Board passive: "Gain an extra 40% stamina when completing a fully charged heavy attack."

Similar to the healing staff passive. This will give tanks a higher reward for the very risky use of heavy attacks while tanking. Right now the stamina return is a tiny and flat amount, and nowhere near worth the risk of dropping your block. 40% might not be enough, since the base amount is so low, but you can stack this with the Champion passive to get some more stamina return. This might also allow groups to function without a Templar as healer, giving other classes a shot at healing.

2) Add an additional bonus to the Fortress passive: "Gain an additional 1% damage resistance for every piece of heavy armor you wear."

This will give tanks some much needed defense while heavy attacking, so dropping block does not become a death sentence for any tank without an insane amount of max health (not every tank is an Imperial you know). The Armor Master set gives extra resistance, but only if you use the Immovable ability, which no tank can ever use, since it costs such a massive amount of stamina every 10 seconds that it would just make tanking impossible.

This should come on top of some much needed improvements to the Heavy Armor passives.
Edited by Zsymon on September 3, 2015 7:20AM
  • contact.opiumb16_ESO
    Zsymon wrote: »
    Heavy armor and tank builds badly need some kind of improvements, so here is my suggestion for some easy changes.

1) Add an additional bonus to the Sword and Board passive: "Gain an extra 40% stamina when completing a fully charged heavy attack."

Similar to the healing staff passive. This will give tanks a higher reward for the very risky use of heavy attacks while tanking. Right now the stamina return is a tiny and flat amount, and nowhere near worth the risk of dropping your block. 40% might not be enough, since the base amount is so low, but you can stack this with the Champion passive to get some more stamina return. This might also allow groups to function without a Templar as healer, giving other classes a shot at healing.

2) Add an additional bonus to the Fortress passive: "Gain an additional 1% damage resistance for every piece of heavy armor you wear."

This will give tanks some much needed defense while heavy attacking, so dropping block does not become a death sentence for any tank without an insane amount of max health (not every tank is an Imperial you know). The Armor Master set gives extra resistance, but only if you use the Immovable ability, which no tank can ever use, since it costs such a massive amount of stamina every 10 seconds that it would just make tanking impossible.

This should come on top of some much needed improvements to the Heavy Armor passives.

+
  • shugg
    shugg
    ✭✭✭
    Agree and mich needed
  • Sensesfail13
    Sensesfail13
    ✭✭✭✭

Good idea but we need much less emphasis on heavy attacks in combat situations even with being granted a large stamina bonus heavy attacks are largely impractical, even npc's can easily avoid that *** mechanic. Zenimax has been trying to shove heavy attacks down our throats since the game came out and there is a reason that a very very small percentage of the community use it.

Ultimately this nerf to stam regen while blocking has hurt the game, in a major way, and just needs to be reverted and the stamina skills that were changed in preparation for this nerf need to be reverted as well. The game never had a problem with stamina regeneration or damage or healing, it was about being able to charge heavy attacks while in animation for other skills, lending to the 4 skills going off in less than a half second fiasco. Each skill should have been taken and fixed independently and now because of the laziness of the developers we just got a blanket patch that broke damn near every build... except magicka nightblade... go figure.
    Wisherr, Dragonknight, Haderus, NA Server.
    Wisher of Naught, Nightblade, Haderus, NA Server.
    Guild officer: Abandoned Legion
  • Zsymon
    Zsymon
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it's clear ZOS wants us to use heavy attacks, and I think that is fine, but they'll have to improve heavy attacks as well then, or no one is going to use them no matter how many skills or armor sets they build around them.
  • Fizzlewizzle
    Fizzlewizzle
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zsymon wrote: »
    I think it's clear ZOS wants us to use heavy attacks, and I think that is fine, but they'll have to improve heavy attacks as well then, or no one is going to use them no matter how many skills or armor sets they build around them.
    They should improve melee (non skill) combat altogether.
    Currently it has no benefits swinging your weapon around, as skills easily get double, triple or even quadruple damage you can get with a weapon attack.
    Did make a small suggestion for that in a topic myself:
    Soul Magic suggestion:
    Soul magic is a fun yet underused tree. It has very little skills, which is quite a shame.
    My suggestion would be a more unique skill, which boost a (what i assume is) very underused combat style. Weapon based combat.

Skill:
    Name: Soul of the Armsman (or other name... just throwing something out there).
    Soul Magic level required: Level 3.
    Cost: Free (But will block the usage of Magicka and Stamina skills during its duration).
    Type: Toggle.
    Effect:
    Increase damage of Light and heavy attacks by 150%, with an additional 50% for each level you increase in the skill (300% at Rank 4).
    (The damage bonus won't affect Sneak attacks, for what i think are obvious reasons.)

Morphs effects:
    Morph 1: Further Damage increase:
    Increase Damage of Light and heavy attacks by 350%, with an additional 50% increase for each level you increase in the skill (500% at rank 4)
    Morph 2: Gain access to skills:
    Allow the usage of all skills, but with a 100% increase in Magicka and Stamina cost (lowers with 10% each rank you increase, down to a 70% cost increase).

Altogether i don't mind this suggestion.
    landing a heavy attack between blocking isn't that hard to begin with. In PvP it might be a lot harder, but if your getting ganked by 20 people a perma block build wouldn't have saved you either... even pre-IC.
    Mending-The-Wounded, Aldmeri Dominion, Templar.