The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Stuttering graphics since update

• milesrodneymcneely2_ESO
    milesrodneymcneely2_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, on a related note: will this game ever support DirectX 12?

I just installed Windows 10 on my machine and haven't noticed much difference.

I'm running an i5-3750K (4 cores @3.4 GHz) with a GeForce GTX770 and I'm wondering if it's possible to keep my FPS at 60 in heavily populated areas. I can normally get 70 FPS in the open world, but I drop to 35-40 in cities.

And how does ESO work with resect to processor usage? Is there a way to force the game to draw on more resources?

I apologize if these questions are elementary. I genuinely know next to nothing about tweaking software.

Thanks in advance!
  • tino.antoninieb17_ESO
    First day after dlc launch i had huge problems. Basically had fps swings from 80 - 2 fps. Had graphic stuttering as well.
    Since then i turned off most of my addons and was switching on one by one and finally i found my self in good spot without minimap and all addons with combat text. I have changed usersettings file as well. Now my combat is fluid ( fps in fights like new dungeons , trials and pvp is on low end 30 fps + ) , dont have stuttering ) . My computer is really low end. Basically it means that in most cases your rig is not reason why u have problems .
  • Rohaus
    Rohaus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too have been experiencing this stuttering issue. Also, I have tried many of the steps prescribed within this post and nothing has truly resolved the stuttering issues.

So, now, when the stuttering kicks in... I /reloadui and problem goes away. I have to do this every 20 to 30 minutes.

The stuttering reminds me of the days I used to play games with SLI and CrossFire. Microstutter drove me away from SLI and Crossfire.

This stuttering issue is brand new for me. I have been playing ESO since it was released and even before that in beta and never experienced this stuttering until IC was released.

Hopefully a fix is in the works but I suppose that will be dependent on whether ZOS can identify the cause of this issue.

My system is the following:

i7-4770K
    Asus Maximus Hero VI Z87
    32GB DDR3 memory
    512GB SSD
    GeForce HoF 780 videocard
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    Edited by Rohaus on September 8, 2015 5:19PM
    YouTube channel Rohaus Lives!
    Daggerfall Covenant
    VR16 DragonKnight
  • Rohaus
    Rohaus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After yesterdays patch, I played for a few hours. I still had to do a /reloadui but only once during that session. Keep in mind, I just did PvE last night as compared to actually doing IC. IC and Cyrodiil are the zones where I have experienced the most of this stuttering issue.

I hope to do some hardcore PvPing this weekend so we shall see.

Peace be with you,

Rohaus
    YouTube channel Rohaus Lives!
    Daggerfall Covenant
    VR16 DragonKnight
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried the "fix" from CS about removing the folder, etc. Didn't work for me. I don't use addons, never have. Sent all of my info back to CS in the ticket. Hopefully they will find the problem and fix it soon.
  • wackattacka
    wackattacka
    ✭✭
    I have the same experience as Rohaus. In PVP (Cyrodiil or IC),;after playing for a couple of hours the game starts to stutter. The FPS indicator does not drop (stays around 30-40 in heavy combat even), but the stuttering is noticeable, whether or not I'm around other players. If I /reloadui the stuttering goes away for a couple hours. This happens on multiple Windows 10 machines, with and without add-ons.
    Wacka AD Sorc
  • nyrkkipaula
    nyrkkipaula
    Soul Shriven
    Reloadui fixes the stuttering for me as well but after a while it comes back. I've also noticed that each time I swap weapons the game stutters a bit. First it isn't that noticeable, but after 15-30min, depending what I'm doing, weapon swapping causes huge frame skips while fps stays constant.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hookgrin wrote: »
    Not sure if this is what you all are experiencing... I get a brief pause every second or so. Was also experiencing it on PTS, assumed it was the messed up add-ons. But now on Live running updated add-ons it is still happening.

It starts out subtle, if I run in a straight line it stands out more.

This is exactly what is happening to me. Addons, out of date or none makes absolutely no difference. EU or NA makes no difference. Haven't tried PTS.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_MollyH wrote: »
    Thanks for all of the data regarding the FPS drops and stutters! If you are experiencing issues that aren't resolved with normal troubleshooting steps, please be sure to contact our support team at https://help.elderscrollsonline.com for a one-on-one agent to assist you and your system directly.

One thing that has helped resolve some of the stuttering and FPS drops is to delete the ShaderCache.cooked file located in Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/Live (or Live EU)

Thank you again

thank you again for this comment and good idea about the ShaderCache, i just want to book mark this so i can remember.
    Edited by Gilvoth on September 25, 2015 12:48AM
  • snakekill
    snakekill
    25/09/2015. Please fix it.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Still happening
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Rexlupis
    Rexlupis
    ✭✭✭
    No patch this coming week and this issue is still very apparent.

Monitoring my system, I see that one core of my CPU is almost always at 100% load playing the game while my actual CPU utilization is =>20%. This would be an explanation for the stutter most are experiencing; because of the 32 bit architecture of ESO's client, it can only utilize one logical core. This core is being pushed to its maximum capacity, and since it can not utilize any other cores, all processes must be done procedurally by this core rather than in parallel by a different core. Hence, the client is waiting for the core to finish one procedure before it performs the next, causing the frame-drops and stutter.

My GPU never reaches above 70% utilization while playing in most scenarios (large amounts of AoE in 12 man trials sometimes push it to 90%) but stuttering and sudden drops in frame-rate are still present. The obvious bottle-neck is the CPU, which is only being bottle-necked because of the 32 bit client not being able to utilize 80% of my processor's capabilities since it can only use one core.

I've been a proponent of a 64 bit client since the beta. If this is indeed causing the issue, as it certainly seems to be, then a 64 bit client is no longer a want, but a need.
  • snakekill
    snakekill
    Its not there server, its every ones pc.
  • Skorol007
    Skorol007
    ✭✭✭
    Still happening to me too... never had this kind of issue before IC update. I used to be able to play in ultra. Now i have to play in medium to avoid constant crashes. I can now play without crashes but after 10/15 mins my fps drops to less than 5. I then have to reloadui to fix the issue for 5/10 minutes.

i5 2500k oc to 4.5ghz
    gtx 970
    8gb of ram
  • Skorol007
    Skorol007
    ✭✭✭
    Can we get some feedback from Zos on this issue?
    Thanks
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I have come to the conclusion that its just poor game code/optimization. The majority of the CPU work on ESO is being done on 1 core and the majority of the game work is being done on a single thread. It will use a few other cores/threads, but 90% of everything is being done on 1 thread and this is the root of the issue.

AMD and Intel made CPU's with more cores...well..so they could be used obviously! Intel is 10-12% better in single core, but that don't matter when it only equals 1-2 FPS.

An example of a well optimized game is Ryse Son of Rome by Crytek....it will use all 8 of my cores of my CPU at 70-80% utilization and will peg my Crossfire GPU's at 95-97% and i can maintain 52-60 FPS @ 1440p resolution at max settings. Ryse is the new Crysis 3 and its the most demanding and GPU and CPU taxing game on the market. The fact that a similar powered system is lucky to hold 35-40 FPS in ESO plagued with constant stutters is just poor optimization plain and simple.

Its doubtful this is really ever fixed anytime soon. They will probably fix the stutters eventually, but don't expect it to utilize all those CPU cores AMD and Intel obviously want used, not anytime soon anyways...

if you want more FPS...i suggest you overclock, go on Newegg and buy yourself a decent CPU cooler....

The console version of the game already uses multipe cores, but i don't expect us PC users to get that anytime soon...the fact a patehtic 1.6 GHz cpu with 8 cores on the consoles runs this game better then an i5-4690k is all you need to know...consoles have a multi-threaded game executable AFAIK it appears ZOS has no interest in giving us PC gamers the same.
    Edited by RinaldoGandolphi on October 2, 2015 2:50AM
    Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

• Skorol007
    Skorol007
    ✭✭✭
    "
    if you want more FPS...i suggest you overclock, go on Newegg and buy yourself a decent CPU cooler....

I already overclocked my i5 from 3.30ghz to 4.5ghz and guess what? no improvement in ESO whatsoever while i noticed improvements in other games I play.

Although i have a really good PC and nice GC (gtx 970), I am running with about 40FPS on medium settings with shadows off...

I can play recent games on ultra with over 60 fps...

I completely agree with Rinaldo, I don't see ZOS fixing this anytime soon

Edited by Skorol007 on October 2, 2015 2:58AM
  • snakekill
    snakekill
    still going on.
  • SapphireThunder
    At this rate, the only players in ESO will be the console players. PC will die off completely due to poor performance.
  • Oddball666
    Oddball666
    ✭✭
    After trying so many things - I finally gave up and submitted a ticket. This is the answer I got (which opens up a whole new ball game as I have no idea how to change the settings) .......

It looks like your system is having a hard time communicating with the game server. I would like for you to ensure that you have the proper port ranges open for your network. You will need to open the following ports for ESOTU itself:
    • TCP / UDP Ports 24100 through 24131
    • TCP / UDP Ports 24500 through 24507
    • TCP / UDP Ports 24300 through 24331
    • TCP Port 80
    • TCP Port 433
    If you have any questions or concerns about opening these ports, please get in contact with your Internet Service Provider for advice and assistance.
  • Theonly_Brian
    Oddball666 wrote: »
    After trying so many things - I finally gave up and submitted a ticket. This is the answer I got (which opens up a whole new ball game as I have no idea how to change the settings) .......

It looks like your system is having a hard time communicating with the game server. I would like for you to ensure that you have the proper port ranges open for your network. You will need to open the following ports for ESOTU itself:
    • TCP / UDP Ports 24100 through 24131
    • TCP / UDP Ports 24500 through 24507
    • TCP / UDP Ports 24300 through 24331
    • TCP Port 80
    • TCP Port 433
    If you have any questions or concerns about opening these ports, please get in contact with your Internet Service Provider for advice and assistance.
    Done all that makes no difference whatsoever