The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Stuttering graphics since update

• ezmawlocb16_ESO
    ezmawlocb16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I am having this issue too, both with and without addons. I found the /reloadui command helps to temporarily fix this although I need to use it every 15 min or so to keep the hitching minimal
  • blur
    blur
    ✭✭✭✭
    blur wrote: »
    I just disabled my addons and it's running fine at the moment, unless just /reloadui is a temp fix until it starts again.

I was wrong.
    PvPed a bit on my Sorc in IC and it's back. Even after respawning in regular Cyro just running around in Elsweyr I am stuttering. This is horrible.

edit: I should also note I spent over 40 hours on PTS before this update went live and never had this problem.
    Edited by blur on September 1, 2015 10:05PM
  • Lucidity
    Lucidity
    Just posted this on main forum thread - perhaps of some use -

Disabling (actually removing) bcastdvr.exe task has returned me to an unjittery 35-45 fps in Rawl'Kha, up to double that in open world. I was having regular drops to 1 fps (ping was hitting 400 at these times), and jitter whenever I strafed or ran at the previous 10-60fps.

Game is smooth now with all my usual 40-odd add-ons, including mini-map. Many of them are not updated yet.

Don't know how, why or when bcastdvr.exe got enabled - it seems to control game streaming via the x-box network, present in W8 and W10 (I think). I do not use any x-box or streaming services knowingly, so it's possible I switched it on with an inadvertent k/b shortcut.

So, for me at least, not add-ons, not lua, not memory leak, not drivers or in-game settings. Just a memory (and probably processor) hungry background task I noticed in Task Manager. Hope it's this straight-forward for some others out there. Even if you don't have my naughty task running, perhaps ESO is not playing as nicely as it was with other tasks, so closing as many as possible is worth a try.

ETA: See post further down where my hubris is, some would say deservedly, paid back.
    Edited by Lucidity on September 2, 2015 7:26AM
  • Hookgrin
    Hookgrin
    ✭✭✭
    blur wrote: »
    I just disabled my addons and it's running fine at the moment, unless just /reloadui is a temp fix until it starts again.

reloading seems to clear it up for a while, also doing anything to add-ons does too, probably because of the reloadui that occurs when you are done.

I have spent the last couple of hours trying to figure out what is going on. Sometimes it takes a while for it to start happening. Haven't found anything that for sure triggers it.

Once it had started I came across a large wasp and noticed that its fast moving wings make the effect very noticeable, you can see the wing animation freeze and then go again. I started recording it, after awhile I stopped the recording and the problem immediately went away. Then I realized I had accidentally hit the wrong key and instead hit the key I have bound to turning the UI on and off.

So turning the UI off stops the issue (well the issue I am having anyway). And turning it back on restarts it. An interesting bit of info for ZOS.

EDIT: Seems there are several different issues being discussed in this thread. Mine is not a FPS drop, but a regular occurring hesitation, about every second or 2. It eventually get really bad giving a very clunky feel when you are running around and in combat. It does affect frame rate, you can see the rate going up and down about 20 FPS as it tries to average the rate with this intermittent stop. But overall, the rate is still good.

https://youtu.be/_y5bFx70BRY
    Edited by Hookgrin on September 1, 2015 10:31PM
  • Transorb
    Transorb
    ✭✭
    Rocking:

2G NVIDIA GeForce GTX760
    Gigabyte FFX Motherboard
    AMD Vishera 8core processor
    32G DDR3 RAM
    Solid State HD
    Windows Pro 8

I too see a tremendous "stutter" in PVP. Most specifically uppercut and other incapacitating skills. For example, most prominently with uppercut, the animation will stop half way through, and a few seconds later the target will go flying through the air. Additionally, roll dodge seems to act similarly at times where animations seem to lag or stop before catching up. I also see this with Shadow cloak where it will be cast but the animation appears to not play, and maybe half of a second later my character will go stealthed. When entering a zone for the first time, character skins to not appear - only a black silhouette of the player.

To summarize, skills feel clunky and slow and animations sometimes work, sometimes don't. This makes for a tedious, unpredictable, and sloppy game play (or perception at least).
  • RSram
    RSram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found that running out dated add-ons that modify the game map, such as harvest map with the Mini map add-on enable d causes my system to go down to 1 FPS occasional. Disabling or not displaying the Mini map seemed to fix my issue so far.

Note that I am mainly doing PVE. Since I'm a crafter, I depend on the Harvest map add-on, and really don't need the Mini map.

Still testing though.
  • Rexlupis
    Rexlupis
    ✭✭✭
    I have tried editing the usersettingsini.txt with the recommended settings in this thread... The issue is still there.

I have tried disabling/enabling addons... With addons disabled, the problem takes slightly longer to arise (10 minutes instead of five) but is still present and still rapidly escalates into something extremely noticeable and annoying.

The minimap and harvester do make it occur quicker enabled than disabled, but disabling them DOES NOT resolve the issue. This makes me believe that the issue has to do with how the game is handling textures, especially since the issue seems to happen more quickly when exploring multiple wide, open spaces.

Reloading my ui, exiting the game and starting it again or switching zones causes the stutter to stop... for a short time. From the behavior of this bug, that is, it is a slow-down that steadily gets worse and worse as time passes, it looks like ANOTHER memory leak caused by this patch.

My system should not have this sort of stutter; it has 16 GB of RAM, a 4770K at 4.3 ghz, a 780ti at 1.2 ghz, and dual SSD's in RAID 0. None of my components reach above 60% load according to monitoring software while playing the game.
    Edited by Rexlupis on September 2, 2015 4:34AM
  • Elder_III
    Elder_III
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm experiencing the issues that most in this thread have already reported. I've had it happen consistently on two different computers and there is definitely a memory leak (again). Combat is annoying at best in simple PvE questing etc and an absolute no go for dungeons or PvP... so much for trying out new content eh? :disappointed:

PC#1: i7 4770k, GTX 980M (yes it's a Sager laptop with a desktop CPU), 16 GB DDR3, SSD, Windows 10 64bit

PC#2: i74700Q, GTX 760M, 8 GB DDR3, SSD, Windows 8.1 64bit
    Semi retired from the trading aspects of the game.
  • Rexlupis
    Rexlupis
    ✭✭✭
    Hookgrin wrote: »
    EDIT: Seems there are several different issues being discussed in this thread. Mine is not a FPS drop, but a regular occurring hesitation, about every second or 2. It eventually get really bad giving a very clunky feel when you are running around and in combat. It does affect frame rate, you can see the rate going up and down about 20 FPS as it tries to average the rate with this intermittent stop. But overall, the rate is still good.
    What you are describing IS a FPS drop. As shown in your video capture, the game is dropping frames momentarily, and then returns to properly handling the rendering. This intermittent stutter is a FPS drop; your FPS is momentarily dropping to something very low and then returning to its normal rate. This is the issue that people are reporting.

As time goes on, these drops become more and more common until it seems as if it is only rendering at >30 FPS steadily.
  • Lucidity
    Lucidity
    Did some more testing and managed to get lag and stutter back by galloping across Craglorn - woohoo. Some salient points -

Whereas previously I was getting it within a minute anywhere with bcastdvr.exe running, now it would only start after crossing a zone - and get progressively worse.

ESO mem usage hit 2.4G rapidly. As fps reached 1-5 ping would hit 500+ again.

I had Master Merchant at 90 days (250,000 sales recorded) and many other add-ons. I'd set Lua to 1024 to accommodate this. Disabled MM, set Lua to 512. Left everything else, including Fyrakin's minimap, enabled and it seems like it's back to smooth running... for now. I know a 1024 lua is getting silly, but bear in mind the game ran smoothly with my settings until this patch.

Noticably, ESO is now registering 2.5G mem usage in task manager - even though I've reduced a resource by 0.5G. IIRC it has something to do with how it utilises 2G+ gfx cards. I would go searching, but frankly I'm getting tired of trouble-shooting issues that ZOS were made fully aware of on the PTS.

Given that a number of suffering users will see this latest round of lag as the last straw and abandon ESO, I wonder how much worth there would be in offering an optional 64-bit client. Would prospective memory leaks at least take longer to slow the game to a crawl, whilst they worked on a solution?

ETA: The black silhouette thing is intentional (somewhere in patch notes) and fwiw I have a decent 2 yr old system... i5 @4.4 Ghz, 32G mem, 2 Gig NV680, SSDs, running @1920.. all high.
    Edited by Lucidity on September 2, 2015 7:19AM
  • SaigoNRoguE
    SaigoNRoguE
    ✭✭
    -= POSSIBLE SOLUTION! =-

1) Remove - Franklin's Minimap!
    2) Download - Advanced UI
    Advanced UI has the mini-map also included.
    Plus some extras your gonna love.

It has been updated tonight and has fixed the issues I was having
    with the shuttering / Graphics lag issue.

Let me know if this helps!
  • Liakha
    Liakha
    Soul Shriven
    Yesterday
    Same issue here, FPS drops ever 3-4sec, from 65 to 20. I tried to change my graphics settings to lower, it doesn't change anything. The /reloadui tips works for a while as somebody said, but not definitely. With or without mods i had the same bug.
    I ask to my guildmate, same troubles for some of them.

Today
    I update 2 mods (minimap and alchemy search) and it seems to be ok.
    But i've lost 10 FPS in general, with the same settings :/ (60->50).
  • Tomato
    Tomato
    ✭✭✭✭
    The stuttering keeps breaking my lockpick!
    Edited by Tomato on September 2, 2015 1:23PM
  • Tarrin
    Tarrin
    ✭✭✭
    i7 970 + gtx 980 + 24 gb ram

I have 2-3 FPS in combat in IC, without reference to graphic settings. And periodically fps drop out of combat.
    Samurai without a sword
    Like a samurai with the sword
    But without the sword
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it has nothing to do with add-ons because i have never even had not one stupid add-on ever installed nor used.
    im getting same fps drop and screen freezing as others state above. and that video was very much what i see on a constant basis.
    it does not start till after about maybe 15 to 30 minutes into playing eso then it just keeps freezing the screen every few seconds. -very annoying-

another thing that came with this patch for me is when i load into a new area. i instantly upon load will see the screen freeze and then while waiting for it to unfreeze the game just crashes. loading into a new zone pretty much is a 100% chance of crash, altho it does sometimes not crash, if it does not crash and i do manage to load into the new area or zone it will then increase the screen freezing alot and happens much more often eventually ending in a crash.
  • ZOS_MollyH
    Thanks for all of the data regarding the FPS drops and stutters! If you are experiencing issues that aren't resolved with normal troubleshooting steps, please be sure to contact our support team at https://help.elderscrollsonline.com for a one-on-one agent to assist you and your system directly.

One thing that has helped resolve some of the stuttering and FPS drops is to delete the ShaderCache.cooked file located in Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/Live (or Live EU)

Thank you again
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • SaigoNRoguE
    SaigoNRoguE
    ✭✭
    Shadercache.cooked file was removed... still same situation!
    removed the whole folder (Elder Scrolls Online) from My Documents.... still same situation!
    Disabled all Addon.... Still same situation
    Did a full repair.... Still same Situation
    Reinstalled entire game.... Still Same situation

Shuttering / graphics lag:
    This seems to be just like the Loading times I have monitored all my activity (Internet activity)
    while connected to ESO, noticed I was sending information just fine...
    But My system showed that the server response and communications... wasn't efficient
    and was causing timeouts, and unresponsive sending.

I optimized my TCP/IP to see if anything could help... nope not helping.
    Checked all setting within my modem... nope not helping
    Checked everything I can...

So far seems as though ZOS put a delay on the loading to locations to help
    in cutting down on Server load.

Never know...
    I have ran out of anything that can be done! And I'm a Tech of over 20 years...

• Puddycat
    Puddycat
    ✭✭✭
    I'm having the same issues as everyone here since update.
    I was getting stuttering the day of the update but then that just stopped for no reason, maybe it was a mod that was messing me up cause i have got rid of loads trying to fix all this.
    The FPS drops however, have been consistant. Since update my overall FPS has been half what it was before, with regualar drops to just 10FPS.
    My overall ping has been twice what it normally is since update also, and when my FPS drops, my ping goes through the roof.
    All this happens with or without mods.
    ZOS_MollyH wrote: »
    Thanks for all of the data regarding the FPS drops and stutters! If you are experiencing issues that aren't resolved with normal troubleshooting steps, please be sure to contact our support team at https://help.elderscrollsonline.com for a one-on-one agent to assist you and your system directly.

One thing that has helped resolve some of the stuttering and FPS drops is to delete the ShaderCache.cooked file located in Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/Live (or Live EU)

Thank you again

This did improve my overall FPS back to what it was before the update....BUT i do still get random drops for absolutely no reason, and quite often. Roughly every 2 minutes my FPS just plummets from around 100FPS to 10FPS for a couple of seconds then back up again.

• Elder_III
    Elder_III
    ✭✭✭✭
    As I have seen numerous people on the forums, as well as in my guild(s) report good results by changing the User Settings text file to:

SET RequestedNumJobThreads "0"
    SET RequestedNumWorkerThreads "0"

....from "-1" for each parameter and so far I've been happy with the results. The stuttering and glitchy combat seem to have subsided for the most part. It's fluid enough that I can at least practice weaving heavy attacks in on PvE mobs now. I still get horrendous loading screens, random high ping (prior to the patch I average about 90 ping), sometimes that high ping will linger, sometimes it's just a spike and goes away in 5 seconds or so. I also still have lost a considerable amount of FPS across the board. I have lost approx 8-10 FPS in big cities (which is the worst performing area already) and 15-20 FPS out in the wilderness areas (which is fine since it's still averaging 60+ there).

tldr, changing those 2 parameters helped allot but there are still huge problems to fix.
    Semi retired from the trading aspects of the game.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you again

this was awesome and thank you,
    as it did fix the troubles and screen freezing i had
    thank you :)
    Edited by Gilvoth on September 3, 2015 12:04AM
  • Hookgrin
    Hookgrin
    ✭✭✭

Thank you again

Like every other thing people try, this works for a while, and then it starts again.

This is the old "it's your computer" approach. This many people having the same problem after an update where there was no problem before... it's your game. Make sure your UI programmers are advised of this issue.

Elder_III wrote: »

SET RequestedNumJobThreads "0"
    SET RequestedNumWorkerThreads "0"

Again, it works for a while, then it starts up again.

I don't think it is the various fixes that are doing anything, just the fact that you have to restart or reloadui which is clearing it up. If it changes over time, it is a memory or data structure issue. The programmers need to look at the code.
    Edited by Hookgrin on September 3, 2015 1:46AM
  • T@rty
    T@rty
    ✭✭✭
    Normally I play with max settings, running a 6700k, 16Gb of DDR4 2666 and a 780ti graphics card at 1920 x 1200.
    This is a slight upgrade on my previous system which was 2700k, 16Gb of DDR3 1600 and the same card.

If I'm in Craglorn, my FPS rarely drop below 55, Cyrodiil with multiple full raids of combat it can drop to 20. With the IC it starts of at about 58 but within a few minutes my fps drop to less than 5 or even total freezes for a couple of seconds, wtf is going on!
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only one way to be sure:
    • 1. Go into your Elder Scrolls Online Folder under my Documents and Delete Usersettings.txt
    • 2. Go into your Elder Scrolls Online Folder under my Documents and Delete Shadercached.cooked
    • 3.Make a backup of your Addons Folder(Copy and paste it on your Desktop somewhere) and Delete the contents of your Addon Folder in Elder Scrolls Online Folder under my Documents leaving an empty folder.
    • ( disabling your Addons, they are still loaded by the game just not used, this is why they must be deleted to start fresh)
    • 4. Make a copy of your SavedVariables Folder(Copy and paste it to your desktop) then delete its contents leaving an empty folder
    • 5. Relaunch game and allow the game to rebuild all these files.

Now you have a 100% Clean Slate. See if the stuttering still occurs. If the stuttering stops, then Alt+Tab the game, and Copy 1 Add-On at a time to your Add-On Folder and /reloadui in game and enable each add-on 1 at a time until you find the addon that causes the stuttering to return.

If the stuttering is still occurring with a clean slate then its either a driver issue or a coding issue with the game after the most recent update. This will atleast give you a 100% clean slate to start with so you can ascertain the origin of the problem.

Good luck.
    Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

• Haradeas
    Haradeas
    Soul Shriven
    -= POSSIBLE SOLUTION! =-

1) Remove - Franklin's Minimap!
    2) Download - Advanced UI
    Advanced UI has the mini-map also included.
    Plus some extras your gonna love.

It has been updated tonight and has fixed the issues I was having
    with the shuttering / Graphics lag issue.

Let me know if this helps!

I can confirm this is working. And some posts are incorrect, the stuttering is NOT a FPS drop. People have to take those apart. I also had the stuttering 24/7 but my FPS stayed at 40 constant ( no drops )

Anyhow I hope this will help the people with the stuttering problem.
  • DMBCML
    DMBCML
    ✭✭✭
    I have had the same issues. Frame rates all over the map, even when frame rates are good there is still stuttering and lag. Both my husband and I have these issues on two computers.

We did everything: reloadui, running the repair software, logging out and in, disabling addons, restarting computers. We provided ESO with this information when we put in the ticket.

Asking ESO returned a form letter with web pages links and a whiny statement about "we are currently experiencing high contact volume". No help. It basically said fix it yourself and good luck with that.

When you do put in a ticket, you need to remember to scroll all the way to the bottom of the ESO reply and see what actions they took on the ticket. It will say "Status: Customer Reply Required" or "Status: Resolved". In other words, YOU are the one who has to keep at them until they do their job. It seems to me that your ticket has to be in front of an employee at least three times before they look into it.
    It's funny how everyone here stating problems, but ZOS still hasn't replied or commented on these issues.

This seems like a normal situation.

• Liakha
    Liakha
    Soul Shriven
    Only one way to be sure:
    [...]
    Good luck.

Thank you so much ! It works for me : i remove everything, add one by one addons, plus download the "MapFix" from Fyrakin and everything is good now :smile:
  • Oddball666
    Oddball666
    ✭✭
    Tried all the following suggestions as mentioned in the thread - none worked

Deleted ShaderCache.cooked file (just comes back)
    Disabled all Add On's
    Disabled Antivirus software and other apps running in background
    Set all graphic options to "LOW"
    Changed SET LuaMemoryLimitMB "64" to 128
    SET RequestedNumJobThreads "-1" to 0
    SET RequestedNumWorkerThreads "-1" to 0

Very frustrated !!!
  • Tarrin
    Tarrin
    ✭✭✭
    Tarrin wrote: »

I have 2-3 FPS in combat in IC, without reference to graphic settings. And periodically fps drop out of combat.

Who uses "My build" addon - turns it off. It is cause of critical FPS drop.
    Samurai without a sword
    Like a samurai with the sword
    But without the sword
  • Puddycat
    Puddycat
    ✭✭✭

Who uses "My build" addon - turns it off. It is cause of critical FPS drop.

There is a difference between the FPS drops and the Stuttering Graphics. The stuttering is not accompanied by an FPS drop, and yes it is mostly caused by addons. But the FPS drop is NOT fixed by disabling addons and people saying that it is, is just gonna ensure that ZOS do nothing about it.

It's frustrating for me to see people saying they've fixed it by removing addons when they haven't fixed it. ESO is unplayable for me right now (without addons) because of those FPS drops, to the point i've cancelled my subscription and not logged in for days. I want to know that ZOS are still trying to fix it, and NOT that they have been told it's already fixed by removing addons.

• Liakha
    Liakha
    Soul Shriven
    Why some people think because removing addons AND reinstall its has work means it wasn't real FPS drops ?
    I had (and still have some light) FPS drop. I saw that because of i show the FPS in settings plus using software to be sure.

I'm sorry for some people for who try with a fresh install doesn't work but other are trying to help so when their solution works we say "thank you".

Did you tried to open a ticket for your trouble if none of those solutions work ? I know it's usual answer but I they see a lot of ticket with the same bug they will take care of it, and I think they take more care about ticket than forum subject.