The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Improve Fire Rune (since no one uses it).

Zsymon
Zsymon
✭✭✭✭
Right now Fire Rune and either of its morphs, is a skill almost no one ever uses, not in PvP and not in PvE, mostly because it is slow and cumbersome. When you cast it, it needs like two seconds before it finally activates, at which time all enemies are long ago.

My suggestion is to allow the Rune to activate instantly. Meaning the moment the Rune hits the ground after you cast it, it activates and blows up/burns any nearby enemy. Visually it would look like throwing a grenade, which is cool. If no enemies are near, the Rune would ofcourse just sit on the ground until someone walks near.

That way you can use it offensively, if you practice your aiming, rather than cast it at your feet and hope someone charges into it, after which you really haven't gained much. I think this is an easy change, all you have to do is remove the activation timer.
Edited by Zsymon on August 29, 2015 5:43AM
  • Scyantific
    Scyantific
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So basically you want a mobile Impulse.

I use it, and it works well enough for what I want it to do. I use Scalding Rune as my opener before dropping a Liquid Lightning that way once I cast LL, the rune is primed and ready to go. Not everything should be SPAM SPAM SPAM you know. Sometimes it's good to think ahead.

If anything, I suggest increasing either the initial damage or the resulting DoT because it can sometimes be underwhelming.
  • Zsymon
    Zsymon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Scyantific wrote: »

I use it, and it works well enough for what I want it to do. I use Scalding Rune as my opener before dropping a Liquid Lightning that way once I cast LL, the rune is primed and ready to go. Not everything should be SPAM SPAM SPAM you know. Sometimes it's good to think ahead.

If anything, I suggest increasing either the initial damage or the resulting DoT because it can sometimes be underwhelming.

One morph is a DoT and the other is a stun, neither of those effects can be spammed, so I don't see your point. The initial damage is too low to justify spamming this spell, it would be nowhere near anything like a ranged Impulse.

My point was that especially in PvP, the skill is useless because of its slow activation timer. If there was no timer, you could aim the skill and actually hit people with it, and it already has a delay because it has to travel through the air before it hits, it's not like it's instant. Unlike Daedric Mines, Fire Rune is far too easily avoided the way it is now, it can't be used offensively in PvP, and defensively it is still too easy to avoid it.

Which is why no one uses it in PvP, and honestly in the past months of playing I have never seen anyone use it in PvE either. I have no idea why you would want to waste a skill slot to use Scalding Rune as an opener, it does such tiny damage. Why not use Volcanic Rune as an opener, at least that knocks down all enemies so you get some time before they come at you.
    Edited by Zsymon on August 29, 2015 6:10AM
  • ItsMeToo
    ItsMeToo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zsymon wrote: »
    Scyantific wrote: »

One morph is a DoT and the other is a stun, neither of those effects can be spammed, so I don't see your point. The initial damage is too low to justify spamming this spell, it would be nowhere near anything like a ranged Impulse.

My point was that especially in PvP, the skill is useless because of its slow activation timer. If there was no timer, you could aim the skill and actually hit people with it, and it already has a delay because it has to travel through the air before it hits, it's not like it's instant. Unlike Daedric Mines, Fire Rune is far too easily avoided the way it is now, it can't be used offensively in PvP, and defensively it is still too easy to avoid it.

Which is why no one uses it in PvP, and honestly in the past months of playing I have never seen anyone use it in PvE either. I have no idea why you would want to waste a skill slot to use Scalding Rune as an opener, it does such tiny damage. Why not use Volcanic Rune as an opener, at least that knocks down all enemies so you get some time before they come at you.

Wrong... I use it. Therefore, this statement is false. I've also seen others use it in PvP.
    FYI - There is no such thing as 'night capping' in a world wide MMO.
    FYI - There was no paid Beta. When they launched the game the Beta was over, even if you don't think it was.
    FYI - It's B2P not F2P. There is a difference.
    FYI - It doesn't take any player skill to mash keys or buttons in this game. The ones that stay alive longer have the better internet connection and speed.
    FYI - The game is not broken, it still works. It just has 'bugs' that need to be fixed.
    Balance is a "Bad" thing.

Example: There were hundreds of Jedi and only two Sith in Star Wars. The Jedi wanted, "Balance in the Force" and they got it. Now there are only two Jedi and two Sith.

Is the glass half full or half empty?
    I say, "Get a smaller glass."
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never understood why people defend crappy abilities.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never understood why people defend crappy abilities.

Fire rune is pretty underwhelming and the DoT simply useless.
    If someone uses it, then it's like using lightning splash back in 1.5: Nothing but a weak fun build.

I would like to see the DoT of scalding rune to be increased.
    Edited by Dracane on August 29, 2015 9:40AM
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The initial dmg is too low, and the dmg is also blockable, also the cc from it is blockable. Dmg needs a buff for sure.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Daedric mines, curse, volcanic rune in the mines, a frag timed to hit after runes is triggered and maybe a shooting star, all hitting within the space of a second. If they somehow survive, laugh as the knockback activates more mines.

Why people get hung up on magnitudes and linear uses of abilities is beyond me.

• Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daedric mines, curse, volcanic rune in the mines, a frag timed to hit after runes is triggered and maybe a shooting star, all hitting within the space of a second. If they somehow survive, laugh as the knockback activates more mines.

Not everyone is a Sorcerer.....

And everything you've just mentioned is blockable, making it useless.
    Edited by Dracane on August 29, 2015 9:57AM
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

for sorc thats quite a rotation of aoes, i always considered fire rune to be the AOE for NB's for leveling. worked for me anyways.
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

....and also the OP is talking about Fire Rune, not Volcanic rune.

Volcanic Rune has low dmg but at least it has a nice CC. Fire Rune is mediocre damage, long build up to the damage and no CC. Not sure why anyone would use it ever.
    EU | PC | AD
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Volcanic Rune has low dmg but at least it has a nice CC. Fire Rune is mediocre damage, long build up to the damage and no CC. Not sure why anyone would use it ever.

i remember at one time (this was like 6-7months ago) someone telling me it was good for trials and DSA. even with time passing, i still have yet to also see its usefulness.
  • wrathofrraath
    wrathofrraath
    ✭✭✭
    My scalding runes dot has a tooltip that exactly equal to fire ring, the only difference is that destro staff skills have 10% more spell pen therefore fire ring although initial hit is 1k less than my rune tooltip is better because of the spell pen and cast time. Spell pen is going to be very important next patch.

Right now for my build I use it as an opener, after I cast it I don't use it but it stays on my bar to have my magicka equal on both bars.

Treat it like a rune have your enemy walk on to it dont throw it at them and while that happens slam them with either a full heavy or use the might of the guild that you just procd to strengthen a nice burst spell.

Edit: scalding rune 4 lyfe
    Edited by wrathofrraath on August 29, 2015 10:13AM
    Vokul Lovaas - V16 Magicka Dragonknight
    Vokul Vol - V16 Magicka Nightblade

Order of Mundus - NA DC

DK heals OP
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Mojmir wrote: »

i remember at one time (this was like 6-7months ago) someone telling me it was good for trials and DSA. even with time passing, i still have yet to also see its usefulness.

It was a core DPS skill for fire damage DKs because back then DoT damage was higher and it could stack with itself. By which I mean that if you Fire Rune'd twice there would be 2 dots ticking on your target. So you could do insane damage just keeping up Engulfing Flames, Unstable Flame and Fire Rune.
    EU | PC | AD
  • Suru
    Suru
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have some of the highest scores in vDSA and I use it on every portal. 8)

Suru
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Nobody would ever use it because they morph the ability. You realize fire rune is the base ability, right?
  • ItsMeToo
    ItsMeToo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nobody would ever use it because they morph the ability. You realize fire rune is the base ability, right?

And as the base ability they have to use it to get to the level to morph it. So your statement is false.
    FYI - There is no such thing as 'night capping' in a world wide MMO.
    FYI - There was no paid Beta. When they launched the game the Beta was over, even if you don't think it was.
    FYI - It's B2P not F2P. There is a difference.
    FYI - It doesn't take any player skill to mash keys or buttons in this game. The ones that stay alive longer have the better internet connection and speed.
    FYI - The game is not broken, it still works. It just has 'bugs' that need to be fixed.

Example: There were hundreds of Jedi and only two Sith in Star Wars. The Jedi wanted, "Balance in the Force" and they got it. Now there are only two Jedi and two Sith.

Is the glass half full or half empty?
    I say, "Get a smaller glass."
  • Kilandros
    Kilandros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    People actually use it all the time in PvP for tower farms, breach control, etc. Just because people don't use it in every and all situations doesn't mean it doesn't have its uses.
    Invictus
    Kilandros - Dragonknight / Grand Overlord
    Deimos - Templar / Grand Warlord
    Sias - Sorcerer / Prefect
    Short answer is DKs likely won't be seeing a ton of changes before we go live; this class is still quite powerful (as it should be being a tank), even after some of the adjustments we've made to other classes and abilities.

DK IS NOT JUST A TANK CLASS. #PLAYTHEWAYYOUWANT
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think Fire Rune is one of those abilities that often gets over looked. It is a real good way, when combined with other CC's (Daedric Minefield, Caltrops, Encase, Talons etc), to slow down zergs when they charge into a keeps breach... just that only a handful of people use it anymore for some reason.
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Derp. I confused it with Scalding Rune, my bad.
    EU | PC | AD
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As others have mentioned, I use volcanic rune as a bread 'n butter CC skill ... knowing already it's not meant for high damage output. It works for me really good in both PvE and PvP. The best moments are when the lead dogs of a zerg streak or critical rush right into it. It has helped break down a zergs momentum on more than one occasion.

If you learn to use it effectively, with CC in mind only, it's a nice skill. Increasing the damage can only make it better.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OtarTheMad wrote: »
    I think Fire Rune is one of those abilities that often gets over looked. It is a real good way, when combined with other CC's (Daedric Minefield, Caltrops, Encase, Talons etc), to slow down zergs when they charge into a keeps breach... just that only a handful of people use it anymore for some reason.

Not a big mystery. It's not like the majority of players in Cyrodiil are nubs...
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Suru wrote: »
    Have some of the highest scores in vDSA and I use it on every portal. 8)

Same here, I actually think it's a must if you want top vDSA scores.
  • Scyantific
    Scyantific
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to believe people don't want to learn to actually use planning and skill with their setups. They just want to hit hard and disappear.

I've always thought of Mages' Guild skills as being more of a Utility toolset instead of straight up damage.