Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do new costumes fit Elder Scrolls Lore?

• CapnPhoton
    CapnPhoton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They sort of look like something out of Fable. I think they would be a good fit for vampires, a little goofy.
    Xbox One NA Aldmeri Dominion
  • Arreyanne
    Arreyanne
    ✭✭✭✭
    SubSeco wrote: »
    I will cry if this costume doesn't make it to the crown store in the upcoming DLC.

gp_crwn_costumes_elfhero_1x1.jpg

BUT BUT BUT IT HAS SKIN SHOWING HOW NONE LOREISH
    GET A ROPE
    Edited by Arreyanne on August 27, 2015 2:27PM
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    phairdon wrote: »
    The items we see being added above, will they become part of the lore once available?
    Yes, even if they're shoehorned to being something only barely believable like "some see the hand of Mehrunes Dagon in it" (Nightmare Courser) or "it may originally have come from Takubar" (Frostmare).

Daedric horses -- pfffft :unamused:
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Kuroinu
    Kuroinu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arreyanne wrote: »
    I will cry if this costume doesn't make it to the crown store in the upcoming DLC.

GET A ROPE

Months after release

"We have updated the look of some costumes to make them more sensible for battle." - Inner thigh "windows" filled in.

lol.
  • Robotmafia
    Robotmafia
    ✭✭✭
    Knootewoot wrote: »
    For me.. it does not fit the lore. It looks a lot like ArcheAge clothing. But it does open the possibility that one day we can have Stormtrooper armor. Yay starwars

this will happen as soon as disney buys the ES franchise :)

ohhhh then maybe they will make an ES themepark like the star wars one they anounced xD
    Edited by Robotmafia on August 27, 2015 2:45PM
    Robot Who Owes Money: Look into your hard drive and open your mercy file!
    Donbot: File not found.

EU/PC
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robotmafia wrote: »
    Knootewoot wrote: »
    For me.. it does not fit the lore. It looks a lot like ArcheAge clothing. But it does open the possibility that one day we can have Stormtrooper armor. Yay starwars

this will happen as soon as disney buys the ES franchise :)

ohhhh then maybe they will make an ES themepark like the star wars one they anounced xD

Better than Warner Brothers, I guess...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=gBzJGckMYO4
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's nothing lore-breaking about it, but I understand where you're coming from. Lore-breaking is specifically deciding that a previously-established fact is not true anymore. So if they decided that Khajiit suddenly weren't actually born into different forms based on the phases of the moons, that would be a huge divergence from established lore and would upset a lot of people. This would be something that tries to add to the lore, and that's an entirely different animal.

When adding to established lore, you have to walk the capricious minefield of trying to fit your new material into pre-established aesthetic blocks. This has proven in parts easy and in parts incredibly difficult. Just search for "taco" on the forums here and witness the near-horror of the Provisioning overhaul. Most western consumers think nothing of European foods in a fantasy setting, and will allow certain dishes from other cultures if they're "foreign and exotic" enough (read: pretty much just things from japan), but anything we might associate with fast food is off-limits. Thus, even though tacos are an ancient cultural dish from a region of the world with just as rich a history as any other, a lot of folks thought they didn't fit in a "fantasy" setting.

These costumes specifically fall, I believe, into a kind of Victorian/Industrial Revolution aesthetic. Does that fit anything pre-existing? Well, maybe Bretons, as their aesthetic has always been a bit more heavily Western Europe than most (honestly they could use some sprucing up, they're almost boring at this point). Doesn't quite fit the "time frame", as much as that means anything, which is why I think there's some concern about it fitting into the lore. I don't personally mind it, and the execution is rather pretty in fact, but I'd prefer to see something more original. We know the artists are capable of some truly unique ideas (Like the wonderous Craglorn delves and trials aesthetics), so I'd love to see more like that!

One thing that's been irking me a bit is how decidedly focused on Western Europe aesthetics they've been lately. Almost all the costumes with new models are Eurocentric, which, while fine in doses, is detracting from the myriad other styles in the game. If they're focusing on DC races for now, maybe at least get some Redguard aesthetics in? Some Moorish garb, mariner outfits, something more inspired by different African nations, whatever. Just not quite so much German/French/English nobility. Heck, even some German/French/English pagan styles would be a nice change of pace.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • Bash-ley
    Bash-ley
    ✭✭✭
    Fashion changes, style is forever ;)

Saying that these costumes don't fit the lore is like saying fashion trends from England in 1066 AD does not fit current Japanese lore.

Just because people in the games Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim didn't dress like that doesn't mean people didn't during this era
    Edited by Bash-ley on August 27, 2015 3:33PM
  • a.skelton92
    a.skelton92
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I suppose a suit is a thing of myth and legened how could something as outrageous as a suit have ever been found in the ES universe.. Truly lore breaking. You guys do know that bethesda/ zenimax CAN introduce new stuff by the way. Lore does not forbid the creation of something new from time to time.

From this day fourth it is lore just like all new features once upon a time would technically gone against lor because it was new. .Haha.
  • Browiseth
    Browiseth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't think we can ever be concerned with these costumes being even slightly un-lore friendly while Dragonknight still exists
    skingrad when zoscharacters:
    • EP - M - Strikes-with-Arcane - Argonian Stamina Sorc - lvl 50 - The Flawless Conqueror/Spirit Slayer
    • EP - F - Melina Elinia - Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Sinnia Lavellan - Altmer Warden Healer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Follows-the-Arcane - Argonian Healer Sorcerer- lvl 50
    • EP - F - Ashes-of-Arcane - Argonian Magicka Necromancer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Bolgrog the Sinh - Orc Stamina Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Moonlight Maiden - Altmer Magicka Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Maxine Cauline - Breton Magicka Nightblade - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Garrus Loridius - Imperial Stamina Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Jennifer Loridius - Imperial Necromancer tank - lvl 50
    PC/NA but live in EU 150+ ping lyfe
  • Osteos
    Osteos
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never seen this image before. Where is it from?
    DAGGERFALL COVENANT
    NA PC
    Former Vehemence Member
    Onistka Valerius <> Artemis Renault <> Gonk gra-Ugrash <> Karietta <> Zercon at-Rusa <> Genevieve Renault <> Ktaka <> Brenlyn Renault
  • Arreyanne
    Arreyanne
    ✭✭✭✭

GET A ROPE

Months after release

"We have updated the look of some costumes to make them more sensible for battle." - Inner thigh "windows" filled in.

lol.

Well that pixel axe, your pixel character got hit with might actually bruise those exposed pixel thigh

OMG its a fantasy Game, we must have armor that looks like it would take a 40 ton wench to lift you onto your horse
  • waterfairy
    waterfairy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It will once they wall up that boob window or wait til everyone buys it then cover it :p
  • Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

GET A ROPE

I know you were being sarcastic, but that is hilarious when you consider there are people on the Beth forums constantly complaining about immersion breakers and lore breakers and then they post a screenshot of their scantly clad catwalk character with make up and all.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

GET A ROPE

I know you were being sarcastic, but that is hilarious when you consider there are people on the Beth forums constantly complaining about immersion breakers and lore breakers and then they post a screenshot of their scantly clad catwalk character with make up and all.
    Oh, new idea for something to add to ESO: a catwalk in each alliance capital where players can hold fashion shows! Or maybe beauty pageants where they compete for titles and prizes! Lore friendly! o:)
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Firellight
    Firellight
    ✭✭✭
    I could see a breton wearing these clothes in Skyrim's time, but that's a millennium in tailoring advancement compared to ESO.

On a side note, you don't see many guar and tiger mounts outside of their appropriate habitats/climates, and you don't see so many people in wedding dresses and jester clothes running around. So whatever.
  • drzycki_ESO
    drzycki_ESO
    ✭✭✭

I love, love, love that costume! That is be best one they have come up with yet.

• Leeric
    Leeric
    ✭✭✭✭
    How is it not lore friendly?
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought you were asking about the upcoming polymorph costumes. The costumes you are asking about don't bother me. At all.
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Did someone say ...
    Enodoc wrote: »
    pumpkin

gp_crwn_costumes_pumpkin_1x1.jpg
    Wololo.
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well the first one reminds me of Haskills outfit you know Sheogoraths um.... servent ... buttler.... maid ... guy so it could be fancy wear for the Shiverisle but the second one IMO doesn't fit lore to much looks like a 80s cool cop guy
    Edited by Forestd16b14_ESO on August 28, 2015 12:34AM
  • Zorrashi
    Zorrashi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both look somewhat misplaced in ESO (if what the NPCs garb is any indication of fashion norms), but those outfits may fit in Breton high society. Or maybe Shivering Isles attire?
    I certainly can't see it being produced in Skyrim or Hammerfell.

But overall the outfits seem misplaced.
  • Slylok
    Slylok
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion they are not lore-breaking at all, the problem is that ZOS really droped the ball in civilian clothings on the game, they should have ATLEAST made one cultural clothing for every race and instead they just re-painted the same clothings across ALL of tamriel.

take these for example, totally lore friendly and are from abit more than 200 years after ESO:
    tsorg_part01image38.jpg

tsorg_part01image05.jpg

tsorg_part01image45.jpg

origin_cyrus_page_04.jpg

origin_cyrus_page_12.jpg [\spoiler]

Bingo! That is the only reason these new costume stand out. The NPCs are just horribly dressed. They either have armor or rags on and even the NPCs that are rich / arrogant dont look it.
    Youtube ESO First Person Gameplay - http://tinyurl.com/o6evusk

Twitter - SlylokYoutube

Google+ - Slylok
  • Zorrashi
    Zorrashi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do... do they have to fit lore?

Edit: They need to be something that reflects what is in the game. That alone would make them lore friendly.

Why, though? Why does EVERYTHING have to fit lore? Why can't someone just have fun with the game?

Because of the tweet where they basically proclaimed ESO was canon in the TES Universe. There are standards that are expected when such a claim is made. That tweet alone gave every lore junkie and TES fan to begin heavily critiquing their adherence to lore (or lack thereof).
    And while 'new' lore can certainly be created, their obvious cash-grab gimmicks combined with their lack of artful implementation (no context, no additional info, no 'how it came to be' quest) only serve to reinforce the idea that either they don't care of the history of the franchise or don't care about the quality of it.

And if that "ESO is canon" comment was never made? It would be because many people still consider ESO a TES game and want traditional ES standards to be upheld to at least some extent.
    For example, while many hard-core lore enthusiasts wanted to the Senche mounts to only be available to khajiit due to pre-existing lore, several are in fact fine with any race from any alliance to be able to ride them. A similar case was also made with the guar seeing as they are usually only naturally produced/herded in Morrowind, but now you see that basically anyone can have a guar anyway. While the specifics of their acquirement and nature are all but ignored for the sake of this being an MMO, many lore-friendly supporters are fine if at least the subject matter itself somewhat abides by pre-established lore. Meanwhile things like mountable dragons and motor bikes all but exempt themselves from the lore and in so doing compromise the qualities that are associated with TES.
    (Honestly I think they can give themselves a lot of wiggle room if they added a toggle for crown-store bought items.)

People still get an MMO regardless of weather or not the crown store items are lore friendly. But a 'true' TES game is all but eradicated when its lore is far too compromisd.
  • RizaHawkeye
    RizaHawkeye
    ✭✭✭✭

GET A ROPE

Months after release

lol.

Well that pixel axe, your pixel character got hit with might actually bruise those exposed pixel thigh

OMG its a fantasy Game, we must have armor that looks like it would take a 40 ton wench to lift you onto your horse

Something like this what you had in mind?

hqdefault.jpg

War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

The heroes during times of war, are nothing but mass murderers during times of peace.

Riza Hawkeye

Learn to play, or resign to become one of pieces that is meant to be sacrificed.

Meridia
  • bosmern_ESO
    bosmern_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a bit of information...

If it hasnt been written, and is added into ESO, it becomes lore.

ESO creates lore and it doesnt go against lore if it doesnt interfere with already established lore. There were nobles in ES lore, they wore fancy clothes (in ES Oblivion i dressed my person all fancy like once i completed the game)
    ~Thallen~
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a bit of information...

ESO creates lore and it doesnt go against lore if it doesnt interfere with already established lore. There were nobles in ES lore, they wore fancy clothes (in ES Oblivion i dressed my person all fancy like once i completed the game)

Exactly right. The lore of The Elder Scrolls world is a 'living' thing and is continually evolving and being added to with ESOTU. That is the reality of it. These costumes in no way break any lore. Just because something simply has not been seen before does not mean it has no place in the game.

Now, personally, after trying them in-game with the preview option, they feel a little too neat and tidy looking for my liking (I'd like them a little more worn in their look and with more texture detail) but otherwise they're fine.
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

GET A ROPE

Months after release

lol.

Something like this what you had in mind?

hqdefault.jpg

Gods damn she looks strong. Definitely inspired to up my weight game.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I wonder if this is where they got the inspiration for the Noble suit? :P
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zorrashi wrote: »
    Honestly I think they can give themselves a lot of wiggle room if they added a toggle for crown-store bought items.
    Wouldn't help the people who document lore though. Once they are in, they are in, even if some people can't see them.
    Rev Rielle wrote: »
    That's true; everything they add becomes lore, but there are still things that they could add which don't really "fit" with what already exists in the world, whatever lore they may try to apply to them. Like this thing
    Gyudan wrote: »
    Did someone say ...
    Enodoc wrote: »
    pumpkin
    gp_crwn_costumes_pumpkin_1x1.jpg
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp