Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do new costumes fit Elder Scrolls Lore?

LegacyDM
LegacyDM
✭✭✭✭✭
So my first thought on seeing the new incoming costumes was, is ESO sliding towards Korean MMO art?

While I think the costume art is really good, I'm not sure it fits the lore.

What are the communities thoughts?

[img][/img]57a8c69c2c9e4e74a4aa9b4446c41eef_zpsmxdefr1d.jpg
[img][/img]eb24f0e8f0e56a919e53a4950a1fdf31_zps7goqpcne.jpg
Legacy of Kain
Vicious Carnage
¥ampire Lord of the South
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    For me.. it does not fit the lore. It looks a lot like ArcheAge clothing. But it does open the possibility that one day we can have Stormtrooper armor. Yay starwars
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • b92303008rwb17_ESO
    b92303008rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whether these costumes fit the lore or not aside, the real costumes look quite different from the arts on the website. Check the arts of the new Imperial City armor sets and compare them to the in-game screenshots from Dulfy's ESO fasion. You will understand what I mean and they look nothing like any Korean MMO.

However, I do hope ZOS will take this post as a loud and clear message that many players, if not most, do not appreciate costumes that do not fit the lore.
    Edited by b92303008rwb17_ESO on August 27, 2015 6:41AM
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the pictures, I do not think they fit the lore, but these arent the first costumes that break the lore. Costumes aside, theres a bunch of buttugly mounts that are lore breaking imo. Frostmere and Nightmare comes to mind.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • theroyalestpythonnub18_ESO
    They do look rather out of place, especially considering the nobility in this game don't wear anything like that but honestly I'm much more worried about the pumpkin/holiday crap.
  • Teridaxus
    Teridaxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meh, still better than 2 meter male orcs and nords in wedding dress or suicide bomber clowns in pvp.

Suicide clown = magicka nb with proxi det
    Edited by Teridaxus on August 27, 2015 7:16AM
  • WolffenBloodseeker
    WolffenBloodseeker
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion they are not lore-breaking at all, the problem is that ZOS really droped the ball in civilian clothings on the game, they should have ATLEAST made one cultural clothing for every race and instead they just re-painted the same clothings across ALL of tamriel.

take these for example, totally lore friendly and are from abit more than 200 years after ESO:
    tsorg_part01image38.jpg

tsorg_part01image05.jpg

tsorg_part01image45.jpg

origin_cyrus_page_04.jpg

origin_cyrus_page_12.jpg [\spoiler]
    Edited by WolffenBloodseeker on August 27, 2015 8:05AM
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see no problem with those costumes. Yes, they are a bit more renaissance-ish then middle-age-ish... but that's still within the scope of fantasy themed outfits. Though I -would- have hoped they might put those visuals on some random "noble" NPCs here and there to set the stage... and maybe "model" their costumes... oh, well, maybe some patch in the future...

As for stormtrooper armor... nope, and good thing too.
    There's tons of other stuff we could get, from "akaviri" kimonos to "redguard" caftans, from wizard robes to beggars rags, from priestly habits to dancers silks... and given time, I expect most of those to show up in the crown store...

Personally I'd prefer it though if all costumes were disabled in combat, and all the "armor costumes" be remade into crafting style options instead, with an mechanic to "rework" dropped sets into your desired style... but that's me.

• NovaMarx
    NovaMarx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually like the new costumes, even if they are a bit "fancier" than the current outfits. I choose to see it like this: if you're a "Savior of Nirn", your garbs are probably gonna be a bit nicer than others, having achieved fame and fortune).

I'm just glad we're actually getting some new clothing costumes rather than just more armor costumes (although, yes, Nedic is coming as well).

Compared to what's coming (pumpkin and scarecrow costumes) these clothes are a better fit and not near as lore breaking.
    "Feet are for walking. Hands are for hitting. Or shaking. Or waving. Sometimes for clapping."
    - M'aiq the Liar
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Wow... that is particularly [snip].
    It's not as much as fitting the lore, but more about fitting the overall aesthetics of this game until now.
    q4wcm.jpg
    Edited by PBpsy on August 27, 2015 8:47AM
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They kind of remind me of Fable more than anything. But I don't think they're necessarily lore breaking. Some leather armor in ESO has buckles and straps that don't quite serve a purpose, and these are just fanciers jackets with similar adornments. Look at Sheogorath. While a Daedric prince, the dude was also a quite a fashionable fellow. The fashion aspects do appear in game in other elements, too.

And with well over a dozen primary cultures and races in the game, there's definitely a lot of room for each culture to shine through a bit more with their own fashion and designs than have been available in previous games.
    Edited by Preyfar on August 27, 2015 8:52AM
  • WolffenBloodseeker
    WolffenBloodseeker
    ✭✭✭
    I see no problem with those costumes. Yes, they are a bit more renaissance-ish then middle-age-ish... but that's still within the scope of fantasy themed outfits. Though I -would- have hoped they might put those visuals on some random "noble" NPCs here and there to set the stage... and maybe "model" their costumes... oh, well, maybe some patch in the future...

Now here is an AWESOME ideia, hope someone from ZOS take notice..

• Enteum
    Enteum
    ✭✭✭
    I think the first image kind of does. It looks like something Haskill would wear (Oblivion/ESO). But the second image doesn't sit with me. It looks like it belongs in Fable and not ESO. It has that 'Tudor' style to it.
    Asira Avalis - Mage
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, they do. Nothing lore-breaking about them at all. The problem isn't the costumes, it's the fact that NPCs don't wear anything fancy, so you'll stand out. Well, that and their Breton style. I don't see a typical Redguard or Dunmer noble wearing this kind of clothes.
  • KiraTsukasa
    KiraTsukasa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do... do they have to fit lore?
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Edit: They need to be something that reflects what is in the game. That alone would make them lore friendly.

Edited by Elsonso on August 27, 2015 11:43AM
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • willymchilybily
    willymchilybily
    ✭✭✭✭
    They tend towards gothic/pirate to my mind, and they did have pirates in cold harbour, and gothic vampires in the rift. There was also pirates in skyrim and morrowind iirc. I always thought khajitts would make good pirates able to climb the rigging and their balance too. but it always seems to be a red-guard or Angonians.

I think not lore breaking but the inspiration for a lot of the races seems to stretch across a wide spectrum of our histories all at various ages which is why it could be confusing. Nords and skyrim i just thought vikings, angonians i though Mayans/Aztec and a little Egyptian, Imperial i thought roman empire. Bosmar i cant help but think all it would take is some blue and you have Avatar.

point being all this overlap of time and inspiration makes it very hard to see something you may call renaissance in game side by side something you might consider the start of the iron age and not think well that is odd, but in reality it is its own age, with its own people at various stages of social and technological progression. is it odd high elfs have such fancy buildings and armor, where orcs have a completely differnet look, but one race is a displaced nomadic warrior race, still with tribes and a semi cast system, and the other is a powerful magical wielding monarchy. And so it holds and becomes a feature of the race and a distinction becomes "lore".

TL;DR it doesn't break the lore for me
    Edited by willymchilybily on August 27, 2015 11:47AM
    PSN - WarpPigeon - Guild: TheSyndicate - EU, Ebonheart Pact
    Dragon Knight [Magicka] - 720 - Stormproof
    Night Blade [Magicka] - 720 - Stormproof
    Sorcerer [Magicka] - 720 - Flawless Conqueror
    Templar [Magicka] - 720 - Stormproof
    Dragon Knight [Stamina] - 720 - Stormproof
    Night Blade [Stamina] - 720 - Stormproof
    Sorcerer [Stamina] - 720
  • Defilted
    Defilted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Costumes look like what Sharagorath wears.
    Edited by Defilted on August 27, 2015 11:44AM
    XBOX NA
    XBOX Series X

#NightmareBear
  • AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    These are not unlike some of my goth shop mod items, so I will be acquiring these for sure. My main is an ancient vampire and high-born altmer, so they will be perfect for him. It's nice to see some male styled outfits for a change. These are the only costumes I've been even remotely interested in.
    Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
  • UndeadBlood
    UndeadBlood
    ✭✭✭
    I will cry if this costume doesn't make it to the crown store in the upcoming DLC.

gp_crwn_costumes_elfhero_1x1.jpg
  • Kuroinu
    Kuroinu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thing about lore and TES is that not everything is actually covered/known. Although many players will actually say this is Lore-breaking or against Lore etc. It's not really lol. Who's to say what someone wore back then? Just because we don't see it, doesn't mean it never existed and shouldn't exist.

Now obviously there are some silly comments referring to sci-fi etc. this obviously wouldn't be allowed due to the "theme" of TES, but not because of Lore.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NovaMarx wrote: »
    Compared to what's coming (pumpkin and scarecrow costumes) these clothes are a better fit and not near as lore breaking.
    That's what I was thinking too. These two could easily fit into the outfits of something like Breton nobility, whereas the pumpkin has no lore basis whatsoever.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • snackrat
    snackrat
    ✭✭✭
    The two images you've linked I'm actually very pleased about. They had feminine formalwear for months, and now it looks like we will finally (eventually, they are datamined) be getting some masculine ones. None of my characters, regardless of gender, will wear bulky dresses with long trails.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    snackrat wrote: »
    The two images you've linked I'm actually very pleased about. They had feminine formalwear for months, and now it looks like we will finally (eventually, they are datamined) be getting some masculine ones. None of my characters, regardless of gender, will wear bulky dresses with long trails.
    A wedding dress isn't formal wear, it's good only for one very specific occasion, so our only real dress hasn't been in the crown store "for months" (it was released in late July).
  • KiraTsukasa
    KiraTsukasa
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Edit: They need to be something that reflects what is in the game. That alone would make them lore friendly.

Why, though? Why does EVERYTHING have to fit lore? Why can't someone just have fun with the game?
  • NovaMarx
    NovaMarx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SubSeco wrote: »
    I will cry if this costume doesn't make it to the crown store in the upcoming DLC.

gp_crwn_costumes_elfhero_1x1.jpg

From what I've heard/seen you're gonna have to wait a little while longer. Think I read somewhere that it will be coming in the fall (around or some time after Halloween). But I could be wrong.

Either way, I NEED THIS! I have been waiting for that outfit since I saw the trailer way back in the PC beta days! :dizzy:
    "Feet are for walking. Hands are for hitting. Or shaking. Or waving. Sometimes for clapping."
    - M'aiq the Liar
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Why, though? Why does EVERYTHING have to fit lore? Why can't someone just have fun with the game?
    Because the rest of us have to look at your fun. I don't care if you ride a motorcycle and wield a lightsaber in your modded Skyrim, but when I'm forced to play alongside you and watch, I'm suddenly very concerned about lore-friendliness of your "fun" features.
  • Kuroinu
    Kuroinu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's one thing I dislike about equipping costumes. They cover your entire character, I'd much rather you were able to select which parts of the costume you wanted to use and apply them to armour slots, instead of having this 1 slot for costumes.
    Edited by Kuroinu on August 27, 2015 1:07PM
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because of the amount of effort the devs at Bethesda have put into it (creating a fully-realised, detailed history, over 3000 years, of the entire world) lore is very important to many fans of the Elder Scrolls series. For someone trying to document the lore (including devs for the future games), things that happen in-game are canon, so introducing something like a pumpkin costume with no lore basis trivialises all that effort into gimmicks and jokes, and the respect that the devs have garnered for their world is damaged; for some, irreparably.

Daedric horses, for example, were created specifically for ESO and shoehorned into the lore, much to the chagrin of many TES fans. It is quite likely that, if they decide to keep the pumpkin polymorph, they will find a way to shoehorn it into the lore. However, considering that it's clearly designed with Halloween in mind, whatever lore they come up with will not repair the damage caused by the fact that this was designed as an obvious cash-in gimmick. And if they do it once, they will do it again, and the official lore of Elder Scrolls will be forever damaged by real-world gimmicks created not to enhance the lore, but shoehorned solely for monetary gain.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It needs to be something the reflects what is in the game. It needs to be in context. Star Wars is fun, but I does not belong in the game. Hobbits have cute fuzzy feet, but they belong in some other game. Even other Elder Scrolls things do not belong in the game. Stormcloak armor does not really belong in ESO, even though it is in the Lore.

I have fun in a lot of ways and it is not necessary for Elder Scrolls Online to be the one place where I have all my fun. I mean, bowling is fun, but I don't expect ZOS to put a bowling alley in Wayrest. When something is fun and also fits into Elder Scrolls, then we have something for the game.

ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The items we see being added above, will they become part of the lore once available?
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)