Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Best PvE Class?

Mricci1988
Mricci1988
✭✭
Hello everyone!

Shiro here.

Question for some experienced players please - I am a new player that has experienced each class up to level 10 so far (Dragonknight, Sorcerer and NB).

I am very interested in both the Dragonknight and Sorcerer as both Magicka Dual Wield classes. A few things I have noted though and would like someone with more experience to help me with!

1.) DK's are DOT based mainly (Fire Mages) while Sorcerer's are more Burst damage and Pets (Battlemages)?

2.) I find on my DK I am unable to survive with Dragon's Blood when trying to solo world bosses...I found on my sorcerer with a Clannfear + Overload I laughed and easily solo'd everything...what am I doing wrong on my DK?

3.) I do not want to run force pulse or pulsar on either of these classes...Does that mean I am not going to be competitive in solo PVE or Trial PVE?

4.) What is in your opinions the better class suited for a traditional TES Battlemage?

Thank you in advance everyone,

Shiro Tagachi
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    1.) DK's are DOT based mainly (Fire Mages) while Sorcerer's are more Burst damage and Pets (Battlemages)?

Re: No, but I skip this for now.

2.) I find on my DK I am unable to survive with Dragon's Blood when trying to solo world bosses...I found on my sorcerer with a Clannfear + Overload I laughed and easily solo'd everything...what am I doing wrong on my DK?

Re: Clannfear is a good minor tank and overload is one of the more powerfull skills. But it also depends a lot on the world boss and if there are people around. you are not ment to be able to do them solo anyways. so it is a bad way of comparing classes.

3.) I do not want to run force pulse or pulsar on either of these classes...Does that mean I am not going to be competitive in solo PVE or Trial PVE?

Re: Nope, there are many DK's and Sorcerers that don't use pulsar at all.

4.) What is in your opinions the better class suited for a traditional TES Battlemage?

Re: ESO doesn't know a class called battlemage. I've searched the internet and can't find any class that fits the descrition except an elder scrolls npc class (players didn't have classes there) from the earlier games. http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Battlemage

They don't seem to be using staves at all. so if you are stuck on pulsar, you are being a good mage with a staff, but not a battlemage. In other words. I can't know what you really want in your gameplay.

The first thing you have to realise is that class in not all decisive in the role and what kind of play you can do.
    The reason is that armor, weapons, munduseffects, food, championpoints and race have a lot to say bout it as well. And the choice between magicka or stamina. For example, I use the templar. people claim they are the better healer. Looking at the class they do have a dedicated skillline. So on first glance this seems to be correct. looking deeper however, you also have healing skills that are just as good on the restoration staff (so available to all classes). So this dedicated skillline only gives more options to heal and doesnt make one better at healing. Further. this dedicated skillline takes away room for other valuable skills for e.g. survivabillity, or magicka management. So yes templars are (slightly) better at healing, but are less allround as other classes healing.

So a keyword is synergy with your build. There is not good or bad. choices you make are pretty limited and only the total of choices made are decisive bout how you play and how well you play. So nobody can tell what the "best" class is, cause there isn't one.

In soloplay PvE when levelling, the most common sorcerer setup is light armor and magicka, staff, heavy dps, a pet to do some decent tanking and the rest is kiting/casting.
    In soloplay PvE when levelling, the most common dragonknight setup is heavy armor and stamina, melee range weapon, heavy dps and self sufficient in blocking and tanking.

Keep in mind this is not set in stone, but to show how they are very different classes in the way how people approach them. Dragonknights are best for stamina cause on top of the weaponskills they also have a few good skills that can be morphed to scale from stamina and . This means they are also best suited for e.g. tanking in coordinated group play, specially cause earthen heart skillline and some other passives help a lot there. Best suited doesn't make other tanks bad btw. This also doesn't mean a dragonknight with a staff and a magicka build is worthless. It works and it works well. But thats not a battlemage at all.

So in short sorcerer has most synergy with ranged dps, while dragonknight has most synergy with melee ranking. That doesn't mean they are bad at other roles, it only say they have the most synergy with those roles.
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • mklundub17_ESO
    mklundub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Since all classes share so many skill trees (every skill tree except your 3 base class trees) then I would recommend you think about what class you would want to play, then look at the skill trees and see what abilities fit in with that style best.

For example, you mentioned you liked dual wield classes. Any of the classes can dual wield, but the toolsets they bring with them are different. A Sorcerer dual wield is certainly viable, because dual wield actually gives you the most spell power of any other weapon -- but you'll be magicka based, and a lot of sorc skills are ranged so you may find yourself having an easier time being a dual wielding spell casting sorc. A nightblade on the other hand is going to be a more rogue type, in and out of stealth, leaping closers doing high damage in melee range.
    Mass Terror
    PS4 | NA | AD
    v16 Imperial Templar
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best Group PvE DPS = Nightblade or Dragonknight

Best Group PvE Tank = Dragonknight

Best Group PvE Healer = Templar

Best Solo PvE = Sorcerer

Best PvP = Nightblade

Don't roll a Sorc if you want to do Group PvE, because nobody wants you. If you want to be a Healer, don't roll anything but Templar, no matter what you see or hear on these forums.

Sorcerer is the best for Solo PvE by far because the Clannfear can tank for you.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • corrosivechains
    corrosivechains
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ranique wrote: »
    1.)

Re: ESO doesn't know a class called battlemage. I've searched the internet and can't find any class that fits the descrition except an elder scrolls npc class (players didn't have classes there) from the earlier games. http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Battlemage

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Arena:Classes#Battle_Mage
    http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Intrinsic_Classes
    http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Classes#Battlemage
    http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Classes#Battlemage

Players had the classes if you played any other Elder Scrolls game besides Skyrim.
    "Could you post me a link to the official MMO rule book please." - clayandaudrey_ESO
  • Caesar Tantalia
    Caesar Tantalia
    ✭✭✭

Best Solo PvE = Sorcerer

Best PvP = Nightblade

Don't roll a Sorc if you want to do Group PvE, because nobody wants you. If you want to be a Healer, don't roll anything but Templar, no matter what you see or hear on these forums.

Sorcerer is the best for Solo PvE by far because the Clannfear can tank for you.

I can confirm that the 'not wanting sorc' in groups is bs.

I very much prefer playing with skilled sorcs than with dks or nbs who think they are op by copying builds but fail to see or learn the mechanics.

I know my dps can be under par compared to other builds but my sorc is consistent as hell and pulls more dps then needed.
  • deadlykitten6
    I can confirm that as well i have a vr14 sorc for pve and finished trials and all vet dungeons vet dungeon time trials etc. I have no problem ever finding a group r finishing any end game content. And I sure dont use a clannfear neither do most end game experienced sorcs. My stats would stand against any other vr14 class in the game.
  • deadlykitten6
    Sorry for rant i forgot to answer your question. Figure out what you like to do in the game first and foremost. Like I hate tanking cant do it. I like dps and healing so i have a sorc for dps and a templar for healing. I like PVP so i made a nightblade for that I have way more fun sniping someone and jumping them from sneak in pvp. none of those skills work well in pve though. If you want versatility go with templar I have a friend who tanks with one and one who dps with one as well.
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ranique wrote: »
    elder scrolls npc class (players didn't have classes there)

???????
    http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Classes#Battlemage
    http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Classes#Battlemage

L2G
  • juliank1990erb16_ESO
    uhm, isnt it the templar that has the highest amount of survivabilty in solo pve? plus they have the highest amount of dps when its about dd's (also pve)?
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    uhm, isnt it the templar that has the highest amount of survivabilty in solo pve? plus they have the highest amount of dps when its about dd's (also pve)?

LoL
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Best Solo PvE = Sorcerer

Best PvP = Nightblade

Tamriel is not that black and white, however you will put yourself in great disadvantage and people will judge you for choosing a more difficult role for your class.

The best tanks in my guild are nightblades and templars, however they lack utilities that dragonknights have, and for some content like vDSA they can't chain adds. It is not game breaking but the dps have to more around more to kill, and thus the fights take longer time.

DK firemages can be awesome in dps, however they are problematic, if you got bad latency and low framerate, your dps will be lowered greatly. You have to keep dots up all the time, and you run out of resources fast - so you'll need elemental drain to sustain your magicka. If the healer or tank can't slot that skill, then you must.

Sorcerers require a skilled player, to be able to pull off good dps in group content. If you mess up your rotation of skills, you drop low in dps fast.

Stamina templars have the highest dps, but they're squishy. Magicka templars are the tankier ones, and they're much more fun. Pulling off 20-25k dps is also easy with them, with no requirement of weaving.

It's really a 2 botton class. Puncturing Strikes and the occasional Breath of Life.