Maintenance for the week of July 8:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance - July 8
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 9, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Main Story Is Bad?

• Psychobunni
    Psychobunni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MornaBaine wrote: »
    NDwarf wrote: »
    edit- long story short, I agree with OP

The main story was forgettable. I can't think of anything about the main that stands out and I'll remember for years to come. The final battle with Malog Bal was anti-climatice, to say the least. Starts off as a huge mountain size Deadric Prince and I'm thinking "this is going to be fun." Then *poof* he's bite size and drops in a few hits because Meridia.

I do have a ton of screenshots on my Ps4 of landscapes and little odd discoveries found while adventuring. I think I have more screenshots of ESO than any other game. They did a fantastic job with the environment (at least in quest zones Cyrodiil is a little lacking).

Wish there wasn't a "main story line." Just a massive, Elder Scrolls setting where we are nobodies setting off for adventure, treasure, and glory by our own deeds. I really, really hate being the "chosen one" in an mmo surrounded by "chosen ones but not really, just pretend you are the only chosen one." It works in a single player game but in an mmo...bleh.

I couldn't agree more. I will never understand this choice for an MMO design. It is utterly illogical. You can't ALL be "The One!" And for a game that is so socially progressive it designed a fantasy world where same sex relationships never became a taboo and are completely accepted the main story itself is incredibly sexist. ONE female character? AND she's a blonde with an enormous chest and is clearly NOT "the sharpest pencil in the box" as Abnur Tharn makes clear repeatedly? And every single one of the Five Companions is a stale fantasy trope we've all seen countless times. I loathe having to do the Main Story quests on my alts almost as much as I loathe doing Cadwell's Silver!

Actually, the female part I agree with. Lyris is *too much* and the whole time Abnur is trashing her (yes, she does too), her quest personal quest line leaves much to be desired, Daddy didnt love me, the men picked on me, I have nightmares...they wouldnt write such insecurities for a male....

then on the flip side you have a simpering fool leading a faction, talking about peace while committing invasion of the body snatchers. It extends into side quests too, "nagging wives" with drunken husbands you have to chase down who think their wives are a witch. There are normal, legit women handling business...Rana (EP)..Khaleen (DC)...and so on, I guess it's asking too much to have the main stars of the show not be such stereotypical male written female stories.

Oh noes, I must be an evil feminist :/
    Edited by Psychobunni on August 3, 2015 8:39PM
    If options weren't necessary, and everyone played the same way, no one would use addons. Fix the UI!

Options
  • wraith808
    wraith808
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kendaric wrote: »
    Dude - ESO is a role playing MMO. If you don't like the main story, then go kill 10,000 pigs in the forest.

Which isn´t possible as the main story is mandatory.
    Even in SWTOR you can completely ignore the story and that is a MMORPG that has actually good story. So why can´t ZOS just make the mainquest avoidable after completing it once?

Actually, it's not. I've been playing on one of my alts without doing it, watching it creep up, and experiencing no problem getting through the AD without it. I might get a nasty surprise at the end and have to do all of them at the same time, but so far, I've ignored it without incident. And the funny thing about the AD one is that characters in the new areas treat me as if I have done the other quests.
    Quasim ibn-Muhammad - VR 12 Redguard Dragon Knight
    Taladriel Vanima - VR 5 Altmer Nightblade
    Ambalyo iyo Bogaadin - VR 1 Redguard Sorceror
    Options
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    wraith808 wrote: »
    Dude - ESO is a role playing MMO. If you don't like the main story, then go kill 10,000 pigs in the forest.

Even in SWTOR you can completely ignore the story and that is a MMORPG that has actually good story. So why can´t ZOS just make the mainquest avoidable after completing it once?

Actually, it's not. I've been playing on one of my alts without doing it, watching it creep up, and experiencing no problem getting through the AD without it. I might get a nasty surprise at the end and have to do all of them at the same time, but so far, I've ignored it without incident. And the funny thing about the AD one is that characters in the new areas treat me as if I have done the other quests.

Are you refering to the 1-50 zone? Yes, that is doable without touching the mainquest, Cadwell´s silver and gold is not since you need to have defeated Molag Bal for Cadwell to give you the quest.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
      Options
    • Kuroinu
      Kuroinu
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I didn't mind the Main Story. My problem was once the Main Story ended and the Cadwell Story began; this part could have been done a lot better. I mean you get told by Cadwell that no one will remember you, but when you pass by some NPCs they'll say "Well if it isn't the savior of Coldharbour!..." and if you have completed the Mages and/or Fighters Guild questline those NPCs will also make remarks confirming they know you.

I'm glad we're able to visit all the other areas, I just wish it was done in such a way that it didn't feel like I was starting over each time I enter into another Factions territory. When the Veteran Ranks are converted I hope they overhaul the post-Main Story. I'm doubtful, but I still hope they will.

I don't like that Faction choice ultimately determines who you play with from now and into the future. But I'm a once character type of player, I don't like making Alts.
      Options
    • newtinmpls
      newtinmpls
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭

Because you are playing characters (the RP in MMORPG) not chess. Each character has to learn/do whatever (except apparently where it's a pain in the programming - I still think CP & banks being account wide isn't a good idea, but apparently there are code issues).
      Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
      Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
      Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
      Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
      Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
      House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
      Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
      Options
    • newtinmpls
      newtinmpls
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      I really, really hate being the "chosen one" in an mmo surrounded by "chosen ones but not really, just pretend you are the only chosen one." It works in a single player game but in an mmo...bleh.

Works fine for folks familiar with ES lore; it's a dragonbreak.

If you really want to get into philosophy and metaphysics (and for me this made all the ES games more fun), try this on for size:

https://fallingawkwardly.wordpress.com/2010/08/29/the-metaphysics-of-morrowind-part-1/

WARNING: this is NOT light reading.
      Edited by newtinmpls on August 5, 2015 3:40PM
      Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
      Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
      Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
      Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
      Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
      House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
      Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
      Options