Main Story Is Bad?

SanderBuraas
SanderBuraas
✭✭✭✭✭
(Contains spoilers of the main story in ESO)

The main story of Elder Scrolls Online is poorly designed, in my opinion. It is extremely linear, close to no character development, does not build on the relationship between player and character and more. Even though it is an mmorpg, a great quest line can still be achieved with no compromise, as it does not lessen performance or anything of the sort.

Have a look at the main story of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. I will not spoil any details of the quest line, but here are some of the reasons it is excellent:
  • Great character development. Several journeys and challenges are had with many of the characters involved. This builds on their and your story.
  • One goal, yet branches out to exciting quests that are required for you to reach the goal.
  • The quests takes you all over the map, so exploration is promoted and required.

The main quest of Elder Scrolls Online feels more like a chore. When you are eligible to do a part of the main quest, the Prophet appears as a vision and tells you to head to the Harborage. It is like this for almost all the quests. Have a look at this chart: (Source)

gYktq77.png

Repetetiveness is not good. You head to the Harborage and is told to head somewhere - and the Prophet is able to teleport you there immediately. Why is it so easy? We do not feel like a protagonist when everything is served on a silver platter. Why is there no challenge involved in finding Lyris Titanborn or traveling to Coldharbour?

The quests should challenge us. They should also take us to all the areas of our alliance, where we for example could have adventures with the characters. We should have to explore. No instant teleportation, rather we have to figure out a way to head there on our own - or with assistance. The quests should build on character relationships, so it is a difficult choice sacrificing one at the end, for example. Oh, and Molag Bal is a total disappointment. The goal of the main story is to defeat him, so why is it not challenging?

What is required to produce a well designed and exciting main story? Time and a great development team. The main story is called main for a reason, as it is one of the more important aspects of the game. Do not limit it, as it is meant to form character connections and leave memories that last long after you complete it.
Edited by SanderBuraas on June 2, 2018 10:07AM
  • JD2013
    JD2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually quite like the story.

The main story has never been the selling point of most ES games ever.
    Sweetrolls for all!

Christophe Mottierre - Breton Templar with his own whole darn estate! Templar Houses are so 2015. EU DC

PC Beta Tester January 2014

Elder of The Black
    Order of Sithis
    The Runners

@TamrielTraverse - For Tamriel related Twitter shenanigans!
    https://tamrieltraveller.wordpress.com/

Crafting bag OP! ZOS nerf pls!
    Options
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You mean you didn't like to go trough the portals again and again? Come on, would you really have had the main quest imbedded into the world ? Who likes walking? jeez!!!
    Edited by PBpsy on August 2, 2015 6:15PM
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
    Options
  • Aeladiir
    Aeladiir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's above average as far as MMO games are concerned. But yeah, it has it's flaws. I'd say that the length is one of them (too short!). Too many fantasy bullcrap clichés too.

With interregnum and "the dark age of Tamriel" set-up, the game's storyline could and perhaps should be darker, harder, tad more realistic, believable and emotional. Sadly, I don't think it's ever going to change. For me, the main story also lacked some interesting twists.

BUT I don't really think the story is bad. Weaker than the stories from other Elder Scrolls games, sure, but not bad. There were some enjoyable moments and some of the characters have depth and are interesting.
    Edited by Aeladiir on August 2, 2015 6:18PM
    Options
  • SanderBuraas
    SanderBuraas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JD2013 wrote: »

The main story of the previous Elder Scrolls games were not as bad as the one of Elder Scrolls Online. Even if they were terrible, that is no reason to not improve the one of Elder Scrolls Online.
    Edited by SanderBuraas on August 2, 2015 6:19PM
    Options
  • JD2013
    JD2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smepic wrote: »

The main story of the previous Elder Scrolls games were not as bad as the one of Elder Scrolls Online. Even if they were terrible, that is no reason to not improve the one of Elder Scrolls Online.

Well I much prefer the story of ESO over Skyrim anyday.

Different strokes for different folks :smile:
    Sweetrolls for all!

Christophe Mottierre - Breton Templar with his own whole darn estate! Templar Houses are so 2015. EU DC

PC Beta Tester January 2014

Elder of The Black
    Order of Sithis
    The Runners

@TamrielTraverse - For Tamriel related Twitter shenanigans!
    https://tamrieltraveller.wordpress.com/

Crafting bag OP! ZOS nerf pls!
    Options
  • SanderBuraas
    SanderBuraas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aeladiir wrote: »
    It's above average as far as MMO games are concerned. But yeah, it has it's flaws. I'd say that the length is one of them (too short!). Too many fantasy bullcrap clichés too.

With interregnum and "the dark age of Tamriel" set-up, the game's storyline could and perhaps should be darker, harder, tad more realistic, believable and emotional. Sadly, I don't think it's ever going to change. For me, the main story also lacked some interesting twists.

BUT I don't really think the story is bad. Weaker than the stories from other Elder Scrolls games, sure, but not bad. There were some enjoyable moments and some of the characters have depth and are interesting.

I agree with the second paragraph. It is way too light-hearted. Especially considering the game is now PEGI 18.
    Options
  • Tholian1
    Tholian1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it. My only complaint about it, is that it wasn't long enough.
    PS4 Pro NA
    Options
  • SanderBuraas
    SanderBuraas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PBpsy wrote: »
    You mean you didn't like to go trough the portals again and again? Come on, would you really have had the main quest imbedded into the world ? Who likes walking? jeez!!!

Half the work should be getting to the location. Plus, the things you had to do after you were teleported were not exciting, shocking or difficult in my opinion.
    Options
  • UTG_Zilla
    UTG_Zilla
    ✭✭✭
    Ummmmm just to let you know the witcher 3 is a SINGLE PLAYER GAME!!!

Eso is an MMORPG!!

Good god people.... Do you compare apples to oranges? Only if you're dumb.
    Edited by UTG_Zilla on August 2, 2015 6:52PM
    Options
  • UTG_Zilla
    UTG_Zilla
    ✭✭✭

This x1,000,000,000
    Options
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My only lingering con is that the final quest of Coldharbour and at least four of the main story quests shouldn't have happened yet. I would rather you go to Coldharbour, then Cadwell asks you to join either the Mages or Fighters guild to search for clues to Molag Bal's schemes in your Silver zone, and then the other guild for your Gold zone. Then you do the actual Mages and Fighters guilds quests at VR10+

You'd have diplomatic immunity in the guilds, so no need to hide. And it could set up a future game pack where the Fighters and Mages Guilds are targeted because the alliances feel there are spies and terrorists in the organizations. Spoiler alert: it's totally your fault. But also not.

But they chose to front-end a lot of this stuff in the first 50 levels. It's like taking Lord of the Rings and putting all the important story details in just The Hobbit. Then to keep you around, you grind through the disjointed nonsense in FOTR, TT, and ROTK.
    signing off
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smepic wrote: »
    The quests should challenge us. They should also take us to all the areas of our alliance, where we for example could have adventures with the characters. We should have to explore. No instant teleportation, rather we have to figure out a way to head there on our own - or with assistance. The quests should build on character relationships

(SPOILERS)

Well, I can tell you for starters that my impression is that if they did not have instant travel portals, a chunk of the players would never get past the first quest. The bar of having to locate the Harborage in the first place is almost insurmountable for these people. (Yes, I have seen people in Zone chat...)

But, in all fairness, most of what happens in the main quest does not happen on the same plane, and some of the things that happen occur in an enemy Alliance. Portals are necessary.

A lot of people think that the point of the main quest is to beat Molag Bal and stop the Anchors, yet this never actually happens. In fact, the purpose of the main quest appears to be to defeat Mannimarco. Molag Bal is the ultimate enemy in the game, and that extends well past the main quest.

One thing that is really strange, though, is that for some reason the Prophet can portal us into Coldharbour with pin point precision. Meanwhile, the Mage's Guild Arch Mage scatters people all across Coldharbour because of the security established by Molag Bal and the sheer difficulty in getting past it.

Edited by Elsonso on August 2, 2015 7:02PM
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Grind Road

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing that is really strange, though, is that for some reason the Prophet can portal us into Coldharbour with pin point precision. Meanwhile, the Mage's Guild Arch Mage scatters people all across Coldharbour because of the security established by Molag Bal and the sheer difficulty in getting past it.

It's the same thing as Cadwell constantly joking about his role as Exposition Fairy.
    Joking about it doesn't make you a better writer. It just makes the flaws that more obvious.
    signing off
    Options
  • Mitchblue
    Mitchblue
    ✭✭✭✭
    The story is bad? The heck you say, I'm outta here.
    Anyone else rooting for Molag Bal?
    Options
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I liked it.
    Options
  • UTG_Zilla
    UTG_Zilla
    ✭✭✭
    Acrolas wrote: »

It's the same thing as Cadwell constantly joking about his role as Exposition Fairy.
    Joking about it doesn't make you a better writer. It just makes the flaws that more obvious.

Another thing, the arch Mage is sending people. The prophet is just sending 1 person.

So it's totally feasible that if the arch Mage was sending one person then all his power could be focused on a specific location. Rather than trying to get as many people as he can to coldharbour quickly.
    Options
  • Reznique
    Reznique
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS please reconsider! I cannot use dragon shouts in Skyrim online!!!

Sigh, people need to be able to differ game genres.

Also, I personally hate questing. I want to reach endgame as quickly as possible- so I grind. However, I am outraged that I must to do quests in order progress my character efficiently. I bought this game as an MMO, amusing questing and fantastic storyline are characteristics of single player games.

So, why not actually allow people to grind to vr14/16 without the need to do any kind of quest instead of asking to restructure the game plot, which you sir are not finding fabulous enough. When you have to do the same storyline 8+ times, simply to level up- it will always be bs
    Options
  • AshTal
    AshTal
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree the main story is a bit poor, then again Elder Scroll games have always had this weakness. I need to feel that my choices and actions matter. They tried to do this a little but so many of the Main characters are forgettable and the choices offered either don't matter or are such minor choices eg Kill him, Imprison him. In both cases the choice plays out the same we never see the person again and his never mentioned.

My biggest issue is with Cadwell Gold and Silver. Once I start these even the minor choices I did have through the main game are completely lost as the choices I would make as a loyal member of the pact are all removed in favour of ones I might make if I was a Breton and then a high elf.

More choice, more consequence and more memorable (returning) NPCs.
    Options
  • Eriquito3
    Eriquito3
    ✭✭✭✭
    The main quest isn't bad. It's average. Just like most tes games the main story is always average. Except for morrowinds main story, I absolutely loved that one.

Imo the side quests are where the best stories are at for testing games. Eso included.
    Hi
    Options
  • Mitchblue
    Mitchblue
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pretty good story. Not the best but better than most.
    Anyone else rooting for Molag Bal?
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UTG_Zilla wrote: »

Another thing, the arch Mage is sending people. The prophet is just sending 1 person.

So it's totally feasible that if the arch Mage was sending one person then all his power could be focused on a specific location. Rather than trying to get as many people as he can to coldharbour quickly.

Well, not always 1 person, but let's talk about the Coldharbour wayshrines, then....
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Grind Road

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • PKLdude
    PKLdude
    ✭✭✭
    I still think it is funny that Tharn had to comment with " I wonder why Manimarco had to use such a large projection of himself, he must be compensating for something." lol But honestly overall I liked the story again, most mmos have a story that many don't even get through because it requires grouping and pregressive group/raid play that the story is lost and becomes and endless grind with zero purpose. I was initially against the idea of making the main story soloable but honestly it was a smart move and makes the game more enjoyable. Now they just need to expand on the group pve part, add a text box in the social tab (NewBlackSmurf), put in a buff/debuff timer ( as a tank and healer they are just needed), then the game will be a slamdunk imo and more than enough for me to sub for.

PKL
    Options
  • UTG_Zilla
    UTG_Zilla
    ✭✭✭

Well, not always 1 person, but let's talk about the Coldharbour wayshrines, then....

I don't know why we would talk about them? Like seriously? 'Well what about wayshrines???!!!!" Uhhhh well what about half the coldharbour quests that are collecting your team? Right, let's use our brain before posting next time :)

Also..uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh NONE have been in coldharbour before, so how would they have discovered the wayshrines?

The prophet has been imprisoned there and as such knows the prison. Which, if you have any kind of memory, are where all the main quests take place. "Coldharbour" region is Pact/dominion/covenant quest line. So yea even then your post is useless still.
    Options
  • Trayzard
    Trayzard
    ✭✭✭
    The Mainstory, Dominion and the mages guild quests were the only thing that were "fresh"... compared to the sometimes really boring side quests with the same voice actors and boring characters. I met thousand lame characters and in some areas you met them again, i was like "uhm? Who are you? All of you are the same." At the least the characters in the mainstory are unique, which is the best part about it.

The problem is not the mainstory. Yes sure, it could be better and can be improved. But for me the real problem lies in the side quests.
    Edited by Trayzard on August 2, 2015 7:51PM
    Options
  • Ace_of_Destiny
    Ace_of_Destiny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I liked the Prophet's Stryline.

Yeah, it could be more "world-changing", but as far as an MMO storyline goes I give it an "above average" rating.
    EQUALIZE ALL PLATFORMS!
    IF ONE HAS IT...ALL SHOULD HAVE IT!
    !

)==================================================(
    ~MegaServer~>PS4 (NA) ~PSN~>Ace-of-Destiny
    )===================================================(
    I don't care what platform it is on...an MMORPG without Text Chat is NOT an MMORPG!
    Options
  • GreySix
    GreySix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO, beating Molag Bal should be the endgame, vice the starting point for VR ranks. Would have been easy to integrate the battle against a Daedric Prince of his magnitude at the end of Cadwell's quests, instead of before it.

Heck, could have made Cadwell's quests a multi-faction piece, where your character fights with others to overthrow a much larger threat, the civil war continuing only in Cyrodiil. That would have provided the multi-faction piece so many have wanted, instead of the lame "alternate reality" Sir Pot-on-Head offers now.

As is, beating Molag Bal just makes everything that follows anticlimactic.
    Crotchety Old Man Guild

"Hey you, get off my lawn!"
    Options
  • SanderBuraas
    SanderBuraas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ummmmm just to let you know the witcher 3 is a SINGLE PLAYER GAME!!!

Eso is an MMORPG!!

Good god people.... Do you compare apples to oranges? Only if you're dumb.

Did you read the post and still not understand? I often have to remind people that one should not compare a single-player game to a mmorpg, but that does not apply to quests. Did you know that the main story is specifically single-player content? This is why it can be especially well designed, and also why I wrote in my opening post that no compromises has to be made.

Quest lines you find around the world, such as the one at Alcaire Castle, are more interesting to me than the main story. If they manage to make these well, extra effort should be put into the main story. Currently it is cliché and linear - not very interesting.
    Options
  • Mighty_oakk
    Mighty_oakk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All the quests were just to easy imo. Anyone here ever die on one of the quests?
    Options
  • tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please, stop comparing ESO with a game that isn't even a RPG.
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
    Options
  • SanderBuraas
    SanderBuraas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tplink3r1 wrote: »
    Please, stop comparing ESO with a game that isn't even a RPG.

Please tell me this is a joke.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Witcher_3:_Wild_Hunt
    The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (Polish: Wiedźmin 3: Dziki Gon) is an action role-playing video game set in an open world environment, developed by Polish video game developer CD Projekt RED.

i1ipIaF.png

Also, I am not comparing the games as a whole - which you would know if you read the post thoroughly.
    Options