Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Shield stacking

Strider_Roshin
Strider_Roshin
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
ZOS, this is obviously way too abused and way to powerful. Homogenize the shield buffs like you've done with every other buff in the game. The fact that shield stacking has been abused for this long is ridiculous. The majority of your community agrees, this is ridiculous. Those who disagree are most likely abusing it.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why are you calling it "abusing" ? O.o this is intended. You act like those who use it are criminal exploiters.
    Aren't you ashamed ? :smiley:
    Edited by Dracane on July 31, 2015 2:19PM
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Lorkhan
    Lorkhan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    agreed, they should change shield stacking
  • Stikato
    Stikato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed. I would like to see some sort of general mechanics changes rather than an outright nerf into oblivion. But it is what it is. Its like DK tanking back in the day. Everyone who fights against it knows it is OP, and even a couple of the people that use it will admit that too.

One of the big problems here is the ridiculous regen rates that turn ESO into Elder Spam Online rather than the more tactical, counter-based game it used to be before 1.5/1.6. If none of us could spam skills endlessly, it would solve many, many problems. I have been playing RPGs and MMOs for a very long time, and the general idea is there is a point where you run out of resources. For some odd reason, ZOS has tried to pick and choose which abilities (Bolt Escape, dodge roll) run you out of resources, while allowing everything else to be spammed until the cows come home. (And then wonders why the servers are so laggy.... <sigh>)

With the current mechanics, the nerf to shields in the Battle Spirit buff is basically zero given the corresponding reduction in damage. If anything, damage shield spammers have been buffed due to the fact they have had their effective HP doubled through the damage nerf, and therefore have more time to recover and reapply shields.

Another problem that confuses the issue is the immunity of damage shields to all sorts of effects. I'm not sure which of these are current, but at one time or another, shields have been immune to crits, bleeds, knockbacks and other effects. People counter by saying that shields have no mitigation, but being immune to certain effects is mitigation in itself. For example, if the average player crit is 30%, very rough math would give damage shields 15% mitigation.

(On a side note, I would love to know what the current list of immunities that damage shields provide)
    Edited by Stikato on July 31, 2015 3:33PM
    Mordimus - Stam Sorc
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    They've already cut them in half, with an additional half again for any that give healing (assuming they're still there at end of cast).

If you're intent on pulling stacking, make sure you put in the request to pull the Spell Resist buff that Medium and Heavy armor give by default of higher AC, too.

You should get resistance to physical or spell damage from a single type of armor, not absurd resistance (or in case of LA) no resistance to both.
    Stikato wrote: »
    (On a side note, I would love to know what the current list of immunities that damage shields provide)
    @Stikato , a reasonable request:
    • Shields eat raw, unmitigated damage.
    • Shields do not take reduction from blocking or dodging.
    • Shields will not allow a hit to Crit, however.
    • LA shield (Annulment / Harness Magicka) only eats magicka based attacks - does nothing for physical. (This is where people often get confused)

OP, you understand by removing the ability to stack, you'll actually end up providing a buff, right? (They'll increase base amounts to compensate for survivability, merely freeing up another spot on the skill bar...)
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dracane wrote: »
    Why are you calling it "abusing" ? O.o this is intended. You act like those who use it are criminal exploiters.

There's no shame in calling a cheap mechanic for what it is. There is shame in relying on it though.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There's no shame in calling a cheap mechanic for what it is. There is shame in relying on it though.

Yes, I am ashamed, that Sorcerers are 1 shot without shields. I am ashamed that I want to survive. I am ashamed, that I rely on a shield to achieve that.

I am ashamed that I cannot heal myself to full withing seconds like DKs and Templars, I am ashamed that I cannot cloak to just avoid damage entirely or that I can't block all day long (I know, this is not possible anymore, but still extremely strong)
    Edited by Dracane on July 31, 2015 3:49PM
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    They've already cut them in half, with an additional half again for any that give healing (assuming they're still there at end of cast).

If you're intent on pulling stacking, make sure you put in the request to pull the Spell Resist buff that Medium and Heavy armor give by default of higher AC, too.

You should get resistance to physical or spell damage from a single type of armor, not absurd resistance (or in case of LA) no resistance to both.
    Stikato wrote: »
    @Stikato , a reasonable request:
    • Shields eat raw, unmitigated damage.
    • Shields do not take reduction from blocking or dodging.
    • Shields will not allow a hit to Crit, however.
    • LA shield (Annulment / Harness Magicka) only eats magicka based attacks - does nothing for physical. (This is where people often get confused)

OP, you understand by removing the ability to stack, you'll actually end up providing a buff, right? (They'll increase base amounts to compensate for survivability, merely freeing up another spot on the skill bar...)

Not necessarily, as long as the buff is reasonable; such as a damage shield that's equivalent to 30% of your max health like blazing shields. If it provides an extra spot on your loadout then so be it further help create variability on character builds.
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes stacking is abused even with the nerf to shields players are still tanking 4+ guys in light armor from shielding. Like ZoS that problem isn't the fact that shields were to powerful it's that players can have 5 or 6 or those shields on at once covering there health bar twice. Make it so only you can have 2 shields up at once be a healing shield and damage shield that's all any player should have on not 5 or 6 different shields.

Also yes we all know you left it in on purpose just like block casting and look were that got us.
  • FENGRUSH
    FENGRUSH
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Allow crits/effect on shields. Problems solved!
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

As you're probably sitting at 2x the health, and 2x-4x the Armor and Spell resistance of the average Sorc, right?

(Effectively giving you 4x the health after mitigation is factored in.) (And let's not forget the 50% to 100% more weapon damage you can obtain with melee)

Don't hide behind the idea that you're asking for a level playing field, by any means.

You don't get the easy kills anymore and you don't like it. That's where the shame is.

You owe no one an apology, @Dracane , they just don't get it, and they likely never will.

Signed, another "unkillable" Sorc...

Give me a break :|

Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Zsymon
    Zsymon
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think applying major/minor to shields would be a big mistake, but they could have each shield remove the previous shield. So if you cast Healing Ward, it would remove Hardened Ward, if you cast Harness Magicka, it would remove Blazing Shield, etc. That way you can only have one shield up at any given time.
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Yes, I am ashamed, that Sorcerers are 1 shot without shields. I am ashamed that I want to survive. I am ashamed, that I rely on a shield to achieve that.

I am ashamed that I cannot heal myself to full withing seconds like DKs and Templars, I am ashamed that I cannot cloak to just avoid damage entirely or that I can't block all day long (I know, this is not possible anymore, but still extremely strong)

No, sorcerers that invest solely on DPS are easy to kill. If you want better damage mitigation then throw a couple of pieces of heavy on. I'm also not saying they should eliminate shields all together, just homogenize damage shields (i.e. 30% for major, 15% for minor) this current mechanic where you have 100% damage mitigation infinitely is just stupid.
  • kevlarto_ESO
    kevlarto_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most all other mmo's I have played, only allowed a shield user to use one shield, and then it only blocked a percent of damage, and a small amount of damage always got through until the shield depleted, I have a sorc alt and I am amazed at the abuse this toon can take when I stack 3 shields and not take any damage for a long time, and I do not consider myself very good at playing my sorc but it has been the easiest toon I have leveled up so far. With crazy regen we have, due to no caps, brings lots of problems along with it, infinite shields, bolt escape, roll dodge, I know they are adding penalties in the new patch but other games have caps and diminishing returns for a reason.
  • FENGRUSH
    FENGRUSH
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

As you're probably sitting at 2x the health, and 2x-4x the Armor and Spell resistance of the average Sorc, right?

(Effectively giving you 4x the health after mitigation is factored in.) (And let's not forget the 50% to 100% more weapon damage you can obtain with melee)

Don't hide behind the idea that you're asking for a level playing field, by any means.

You don't get the easy kills anymore and you don't like it. That's where the shame is.

You owe no one an apology, @Dracane , they just don't get it, and they likely never will.

Are you insinuating that sorcs are at a defensive disadvantage and everyone else has stronger defense/sustain? Is that the counter-argument here? :open_mouth:
  • lostavalon
    lostavalon
    ✭✭✭
    imo harnes magika shouldnt be able to be stacked with hardened ward, it just turns out to a massive shield fighting against other magika users and it grants back a bit of magika aswell

with the lowered ttk in pts atm shield stacking is abit outa hand and need to be tweaked a lik more
    @Choof
    Kontrol Freek - Sorcerer
    PC/NA
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    FENGRUSH wrote: »

Are you insinuating that sorcs are at a defensive disadvantage and everyone else has stronger defense/sustain? Is that the counter-argument here? :open_mouth:
    @FENGRUSH , I'm flat out saying with the change in the way armor works as of 1.6 and aggravated further by the fact you get free 1:1 spell resist from having a metal plate on your chest is also part of the imbalance.

If you hit me with a 2H while I'm in a robe, I expect to get knocked on my ass.

If I hit you with a lightning bolt while you're in full plate armor, I don't expect you to have more defense because of it.

I'm saying they have several balancing issues they continue to convolute, and stacking can be one of them, but it's far from the only one.

Shields are in use because it's the only effective counter to having to have lower health and LA and still have some measure of sustain.

It's a trade off, one where the HA/MA users don't have to work at it as hard, nor slot a skill/skills to achieve the same level of protection without losing effective DPS.

Nerf the shields - I take no issue with that, but make LA have the arcane protection it's had in every other standalone and let HA have the physical.

I'm calling out both sides of the problem, not just the one that inconveniences a particular playstyle.

Earn it.

• Master_Kas
    Master_Kas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ageed, shieldspam is just as annoying as permablock and rollspam.

Needs some sort of penalty aswell .

EU | PC
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think they should nerf shields.

I do however think they should cut back on some of the +magicka percentage multipliers they have out there to cut back on some sorcs with 45K-50K magicka who are the guys who are unreasonably difficult to kill.

The already nerfed a lot of the top Stamina regen, so they should also attack some too powerful sources of bonus magicka.
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ezareth wrote: »

I do however think they should cut back on some of the +magicka percentage multipliers they have out there to cut back on some sorcs with 45K-50K magicka who are the guys who are unreasonably difficult to kill.

The already nerfed a lot of the top Stamina regen, so they should also attack some too powerful sources of bonus magicka.

Then you also know, what is required to achieve such values and how much you have to sacrifise for this build.
    I say, this sacrifise deserves a reward and this reward is good protection and a high ressource pool, but very inefficient playstyle, as you don't have much space for actualy abilities. Don't see a problem here
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • FENGRUSH
    FENGRUSH
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Id prefer to see the shields put on par as people that use dots/effect/procs/crits to their build are completely negated when fighting shield users. It goes beyond just sorcs, which are abnormally strong - but the big groups that are rotating barriers as well.

@Merlin13KAGL Yea there are definately issues present since they put in light armor and basically put the armor value way low and that was it. I dont argue that light armor users NEED the extra protection, and shields are the obvious solution. From day 1 of that armor value adjustment I feel it was mishandled - light armor use should not be dependent upon additional skills to survive/be viable... but that is where folks making balance changes have failed us I think, and the issue is not even something that will land back on the drawing board. Things just go forward and get changed.
  • Kupoking
    Kupoking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FENGRUSH wrote: »
    Allow crits/effect on shields. Problems solved!

Agreed
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Then you also know, what is required to achieve such values and how much you have to sacrifise for this build.
    I say, this sacrifise deserves a reward and this reward is good protection and a high ressource pool, but very inefficient playstyle, as you don't have much space for actualy abilities. Don't see a problem here

I think if they change/redirect some of the bonuses (much as they did with the NB +30% Stam regen), then the undesired playstyle becomes less powerful, and the alternative more reasonable options become preferable.

It is a much better option than nerfing and gimping shields for *everyone*. The concept of shields is fine but right now people are min/maxing them to the exclusion of all else and it is getting pretty broken.

I used to stack cost reduction to an insane degree and they patch by patch continued to nerf it to the point it was no longer worth min/maxing to that degree. That's what they need to do here.
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • cschwingeb14_ESO
    cschwingeb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Food/drinks need a nerf more than the multipliers.

Blue/purple food provides much more raw stat advantage than every set bonus and enchant I can get.

Multipliers that cost skill slots are just in need of balancing. IMO toggles are worth the 8%, but non-toggles should be lower.

But to be clear, there are a ton of non-magicka stat multipliers that should also be nerfed by the same ratio. Structured Entropy, etc.
  • Kupoking
    Kupoking
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think if they change/redirect some of the bonuses (much as they did with the NB +30% Stam regen), then the undesired playstyle becomes less powerful, and the alternative more reasonable options become preferable.

It is a much better option than nerfing and gimping shields for *everyone*. The concept of shields is fine but right now people are min/maxing them to the exclusion of all else and it is getting pretty broken.

I used to stack cost reduction to an insane degree and they patch by patch continued to nerf it to the point it was no longer worth min/maxing to that degree. That's what they need to do here.

The problem isnt shields in general. Its that sorcs got a class shield that scales off max magika that lasts 20 secs. Compare it to sun shield that stacks on hp, lasts 6 secs for a sec.

Sorcs can spec full offensive and still get a crazy bubble that lasts 20secs. Add to the the fact that it makes you immune to crits.

On a templar to reach almost equivalent shield str i need 27k hp.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I really don't like this. So you want them to limit everything, so that people can no longer play the way they want.
    Extremely stupid idea in my opinion. Limiting the game more and more with each patch....
    1.6 finally allowed me to play the way I want and then 1.7 comes and everything changes again.

I am so tired of adapting to things over and over again. I thought, this whole thing would finally ´stop, once 1.6 was released and I thought, they would finally stop changing the game in such an extreme manner. And now it happens again, mainly to people complaining, because they don't want other people to play the way they want.
    Edited by Dracane on July 31, 2015 4:36PM
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I really don't like this. So you want them to limit everything, so that people can no longer play the way they want.
    Extremely stupid idea in my opinion. Limiting the game more and more with each patch....
    1.6 finally allowed me to play the way I want and then 1.7 comes and everything changes again.

I am so tired of adapting to things over and over again. I thought, this whole thing would finally ´stop, once 1.6 was released and I thought, they would finally stop changing the game in such an extreme manner. And now it happens again, mainly to people complaining, because they don't want other people to play the way they want.

Adapting is annoying but inevitable. I'm going to have to make some serious changes to my character next dlc because of how drastic they changed it (different loadout, different armor traits, different mundus stone, different food buff). It's just the way it is. But things need to be fair, and in its current form you can be a crappy player, but as long as you're a shield stacking sorc you'll dominate regardless of personal skill.
  • FENGRUSH
    FENGRUSH
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Adapting is annoying but inevitable. I'm going to have to make some serious changes to my character next dlc because of how drastic they changed it (different loadout, different armor traits, different mundus stone, different food buff). It's just the way it is. But things need to be fair, and in its current form you can be a crappy player, but as long as you're a shield stacking sorc you'll dominate regardless of personal skill.

This is deadon - Ill have to change things up completely too, for a class setup that is among the weakest and received no buffs, only indirect nerfs.

Meanwhile, the strongest setup has pretty much gone untouched and left few options to fight other than being a hard hitting SOB or teaming up some burst on the guy or catching him at a moment of failure. This is the reality of it. Theres no way for me to take on the top tier competent magicka sorcs 1v1.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

The problem isnt shields in general. Its that sorcs got a class shield that scales off max magika that lasts 20 secs. Compare it to sun shield that stacks on hp, lasts 6 secs for a sec.

Sorcs can spec full offensive and still get a crazy bubble that lasts 20secs. Add to the the fact that it makes you immune to crits.

On a templar to reach almost equivalent shield str i need 27k hp.
    @houimetub17_ESO if they do, their damage suffers.

Live forever, kill no one isn't really a great option either.

What's being missed here isn't the value of the shield, nor what it takes to attain it. It comes down to the equivalent HP's that are provided.

If your templar gets to 35k via 27k health and 8k shield, you're getting benefit from more mitigation opportunities with your raw health, as your blocks, resists, dodges still apply.

Sure, crits do too, but I suspect most aren't running the high crit builds anymore like they were in 1.5. A Sorc getting to 35k equivalent has a lot of that eating more unmitigated damage because a third of that is shield.

No crits, but zero mitigation. The shield eats the whole damage, every time.

Sorcs stack magicka because they didn't exactly mix up the skill base as they did with the other classes. Stam sorcs have limited magicka options, magicka sorcs have almost no stamina options.

35k does not always equal 35k.

I suspect it is weighted more heavily towards Sorcs this way due to the inherent lack of heals available to every other class.

There are tradeoffs and downsides that are missed.

I tend to agree with @Ezareth in that I don't think they intended for some builds to be able to have double the effective resource of other builds, with no apparent penalty.

Earn it.

• Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZoS: hire FENGRUSH.

Please.
    Edited by Joy_Division on July 31, 2015 5:12PM
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This could be a really good solution to it.

For Barrier
    1- When barrier is popped, anyone WITHOUT a shield is given one.
    2- Anyone with a shield strength LOWER than the new Barrier would have their shield cancelled and replaced by it.
    3- Anyone with a shield strength GREATER than the shield being applying is unaffected, no shield stacking could be done.

For Healing Ward
    1- When shield is popped, anyone WITHOUT a shield is given one.
    2- Anyone with a shield strength LOWER than the Healing Ward shield would have their shield cancelled and replaced by it.
    3- Anyone with a shield strength GREATER than the Healing Ward shield strength would only receive the Heal from it and not have the shield stacked.

This will ensure that you can only have one shield on at a time and receive the biggest shield boost. This would also allow you to receive a needed heal from the Ward even though no shield would be added.

This would apply to any existing shield that a person has when another one is casted on them.

@ZOS_GinaBruno, @ZOS_RichLambert, @ZOS_JessicaFolsom, @ZOS_BrianWheeler

Thoughts?
    Edited by Robbmrp on July 31, 2015 5:19PM
    NA Server - Kildair