The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What was the logic behind nerfing NB Stam Regeneration?

MCMancub
MCMancub
✭✭✭✭
Combined with the nerf to the WW passive (a nerf I believe was very much needed), Stam NB lost almost a third (literally 30%) of the stamina regeneration they had before. Why? I realize ZOS was wanting to make the passive more rounded for all types of builds, but it really hurt stamina regeneration for the entire NB stamina dps play-style. It wasn't dangerously high or a seriously overpowered mechanic. Now it feels like I'm being forced to use a drink simply because my regeneration is under-par, even for PvE.

EDIT: And this is coming from a Redguard.
Edited by MCMancub on July 31, 2015 2:09PM
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamina Nightblade's Regeneration was way too high.
    How much did they nerf it actually ?
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Drizzt
    Drizzt
    Soul Shriven
    They nerf 30% stamina regeneration to 15% health, magicka, stamina regeneration.
    Seems better to have diverse build with nightblade, better tanks and magicka nightblade, and not only focused on stamina dps nightblade anymore.
    Drizzt - DK DPS/Tank v14 Drizzt Daermon - Templar Heal v14 Wulfgar Beorngar - Nightblade Dps lvl38 S'renji
  • MCMancub
    MCMancub
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dracane wrote: »

Speak for yourself. Until you hit 300-400 CP, you still run out plenty in PvE. I had about 1200 stamina regen and 31k stamina on live.

On PTS I lost 15% to WW passive and 15% to the Refreshing Shadows passive nerf.

That means I lost 400 stamina regeneration on PTS.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

15%

Considering they made it 15% to all attributes my guess would be it was nerf/balance pass as well as trying to give some options to other builds.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • asteldian
    asteldian
    ✭✭✭✭
    NB had notably the best regen by far and it even stacked with taking a potion.
    15% is still better than everyone else and now magicka builds get it too.
  • MCMancub
    MCMancub
    ✭✭✭✭
    asteldian wrote: »
    NB had notably the best regen by far and it even stacked with taking a potion.
    15% is still better than everyone else and now magicka builds get it too.

My point isn't that the regeneration didn't need a nerf, just that nerfing it on top of nerfing the WW passive was overkill. A 15% nerf to stamina regeneration would have sufficed, but they robbed twice as much.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, now it's 15% for all stats ? That's extremely strong. i want 15% Magicka regen on my Sorcerer. Why does a thief have more Magicka regen than a mage ? Pls Nerf :D
    MCMancub wrote: »

Speak for yourself. Until you hit 300-400 CP, you still run out plenty in PvE. I had about 1200 stamina regen and 31k stamina on live.

Uhm, well. I know Nightblades with almost 4000 stamina regen. How are you supposed to run out of ressources with this ?
    You still have more than enough regen. But now you might want to sacrifise a bit more to have even more. I don't think this nerf will kill you. And you also have 15% more Magicka regen now... so I wouldn't even call it a nerf.

Everyone needs Magikca regen and 15% is sooo much. Give it to my Sorcerer pls
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Takllin
    Takllin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah sorry but that nerf was needed. A Bosmer NB with WW could get ~300% stamina regen. A base 30% buff is huge, and this now puts them more in line with the other Stamina builds in terms of sustain.

The WW change wasn't intended for Nightblades, that was done so that people actually have to either slot the Ultimate or use it to gain any advantage. It's kinda stupid that you get 15% boost with no drawback.
    Edited by Takllin on July 31, 2015 2:21PM
    Jadokis - AD Redguard DK v16 AR 18
    Jàsènn - AD Orc Templar 47 AR 10
    Jessèn - AD Dunmer DK v16 AR 9 - Former Empress of Blackwater Blade

Tekllin - AD Altmer Sorcerer v16 AR 18 (Ret.)
    Tekklin - AD Bosmer Nightblade v16 AR 12 (Ret.)
    Jasenn - DC Imperial Templar v16 AR 18 (Ret.)
    Jasènn - DC Orc Sorcerer v16 AR 15 (Ret.)
  • MCMancub
    MCMancub
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ah, now it's 15% for all stats ? That's extremely strong. i want 15% Magicka regen on my Sorcerer. Why does a thief have more Magicka regen than a mage ? Pls Nerf :D

Uhm, well. I know Nightblades with almost 4000 stamina regen. How are you supposed to run out of ressources with this ?
    You still have more than enough regen. But now you might want to sacrifise a bit more to have even more. I don't think this nerf will kill you. And you also have 15% more Magicka regen now... so I wouldn't even call it a nerf.

So the solution to the massive nerf is to shift all of my stamina (and a portion of my damage as a result) to regeneration because they overnerfed?

For your friends that have 4000 stamina regen, how do they feel about losing 1200 regen?
  • MCMancub
    MCMancub
    ✭✭✭✭
    Takllin wrote: »
    Yeah sorry but that nerf was needed. A Bosmer NB with WW could get ~300% stamina regen. A base 30% buff is huge, and this now puts them more in line with the other Stamina builds in terms of sustain.

The WW change wasn't intended for Nightblades, that was done so that people actually have to either slot the Ultimate or use it to gain any advantage. It's kinda stupid that you get 15% boost with no drawback.

I agree with this, but just because it wasn't intended for NBs doesn't mean it doesn't affect them. There are plenty of NBs who stack so much regen that they can sustain it forever, but not without losing a large amount of damage.

Additionally, with the changes to roll dodge, isn't flat stamina now better than regen as well? Either you suffer from the roll dodge change and lose damage because you're stacking lots of regen, or you don't suffer from the roll dodge change or lose damage and have your regen severely cut.

There should definitely be a balance. No one should have their cake and eat it too, but it feels like either build suffers too much in one area because of this change.

EDIT: It kind of feels like ZOS saw stamina NB builds as too strong in 2.0 (they arguably were) and thought "NERF ALL THE PARTS OF STAMINA! Weapon damage gets a nerf! Stamina regen gets a nerf! Roll dodge gets a nerf! Werewolf gets a nerf!" The nerfs add up to do some serious damage.
    Edited by MCMancub on July 31, 2015 2:28PM
  • Manoekin
    Manoekin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

So the solution to the massive nerf is to shift all of my stamina (and a portion of my damage as a result) to regeneration because they overnerfed?

For your friends that have 4000 stamina regen, how do they feel about losing 1200 regen?

It works better than crying about it like a little kid. You weren't supposed to have the 15% from werewolf in the first place, so don't even count it. You can't even argue that you should have 15% regen for doing nothing. The nerf to NB passive was necessary because 30% was too much. Your class is strong, stop crying because you at least have to try and worry about regen now.
  • MCMancub
    MCMancub
    ✭✭✭✭
    Manoekin wrote: »

It works better than crying about it like a little kid. You weren't supposed to have the 15% from werewolf in the first place, so don't even count it. You can't even argue that you should have 15% regen for doing nothing. The nerf to NB passive was necessary because 30% was too much. Your class is strong, stop crying because you at least have to try and worry about regen now.

Please learn to read. Nothing irritates me more than having to repeat myself so many times on these forums. WW PASSIVE NEEDED THE NERF! I've said it, like, 3 or 4 times now.

Geez, give it a rest. I don't think it didn't.

Why didn't ZOS wait to see how these changes affect stamina NB before nerfing it more?
    Edited by MCMancub on July 31, 2015 2:31PM
  • Takllin
    Takllin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Please learn to read. Nothing irritates me more than having to repeat myself so many times on these forums. WW PASSIVE NEEDED THE NERF! I've said it, like, 3 or 4 times now.

Why didn't ZOS wait to see how these changes affect stamina NB before nerfing it more?

Like he said, Stamina NB was too strong. I might not have come across like Mano did, but I agree with his assessment. You actually have to worry about regen now like every other stamina build, while still being really strong.
    Edited by Takllin on July 31, 2015 2:36PM
    Jadokis - AD Redguard DK v16 AR 18
    Jàsènn - AD Orc Templar 47 AR 10
    Jessèn - AD Dunmer DK v16 AR 9 - Former Empress of Blackwater Blade

Tekllin - AD Altmer Sorcerer v16 AR 18 (Ret.)
    Tekklin - AD Bosmer Nightblade v16 AR 12 (Ret.)
    Jasenn - DC Imperial Templar v16 AR 18 (Ret.)
    Jasènn - DC Orc Sorcerer v16 AR 15 (Ret.)
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Next up, a thread from a Sorc asking for the nerf to shields to be reversed cause shields are under-powered :lol:

EU | PC | AD
  • MCMancub
    MCMancub
    ✭✭✭✭

I agree with this, but just because it wasn't intended for NBs doesn't mean it doesn't affect them. There are plenty of NBs who stack so much regen that they can sustain it forever, but not without losing a large amount of damage.

Additionally, with the changes to roll dodge, isn't flat stamina now better than regen as well? Either you suffer from the roll dodge change and lose damage because you're stacking lots of regen, or you don't suffer from the roll dodge change or lose damage and have your regen severely cut.

There should definitely be a balance. No one should have their cake and eat it too, but it feels like either build suffers too much in one area because of this change.

I think you are really overestimating this change. NBs will still have the most regen and very high DPS, you just need to alter your playstyle, gear and/or CP to make up for this.

Like he said, Stamina NB was too strong. I might not have come across like Mano did, but I agree with his assessment. You actually have to worry about regen now like every other stamina build, while still being really strong.

From a PvE perspective, stamina NB is behind stamina Templar and magicka DK, on par with magicka Sorc and stamina DK, and in front of stamina Sorc and magicka Templar. We're right in the middle of the pack in terms of PvE DPS.

I'm worried these changes will simply cause us to slip further down the ladder. I'm not opposed to having to change my build, but when it involves sacrificing something that can't really be given up (damage and flat stamina) I have to call foul.
  • MCMancub
    MCMancub
    ✭✭✭✭

Next up, a thread from a Sorc asking for the nerf to shields to be reversed cause shields are under-powered :lol:

The nerf to shields only exists in PvP. This nerf to NB's hurts them in PvE too.
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »

15%

Considering they made it 15% to all attributes my guess would be it was nerf/balance pass as well as trying to give some options to other builds.

Sounds about right. NB's were able to stack stamina regeneration much higher than everyone else... and they still can somewhat in any case, while the passive is now also useful for mag builds.
    -First-Wave Closed Beta Tester of the Psijic Order, aka the 0.016 percent.
    Exploits suck. Don't blame just the game, blame the players abusing them!

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been a stamina Nightblade for quite a while and decided to try out magicka since 1-2 weeks ago. I was really surprised when I read about this change in the patch notes. I do not think any Nightblade really wished for this change, as magicka just seems so much easier to manage than stamina overall, so easy in fact, I do not feel like "managing" is even the right term for it. My personal thoughts about this change were a very lukewarm "yay I guess?" Would not mind them changing it back to 30% stamina regen, even if I decide to stay with magicka.
    Edited by Siluen on July 31, 2015 2:45PM
  • MCMancub
    MCMancub
    ✭✭✭✭
    Siluen wrote: »
    I've been a stamina Nightblade for quite a while and decided to try out magicka since 1-2 weeks ago. I was really surprised when I read about this change in the patch notes. I do not think any Nightblade really wished for this change, as magicka just seems so much easier to manage than stamina overall, so easy in fact, I do not feel like "managing" is even the right term for it. My personal thoughts about this change were a very lukewarm "yay I guess?" Would not mind them changing it back to 30% stamina regen, even if I decide to stay with magicka.

Thanks for the insight! I have a few friends who play magicka NB, but I've never played it, so it's hard for me to say how they view this change.
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

The nerf to shields only exists in PvP. This nerf to NB's hurts them in PvE too.

It was an example of somebody worrying about a storm in a teacup.

The problem for stamina NBs in PvE is damage output, not sustain. So if end-game, competitive PvE is your thing this change is of little effect to you.

Stamina NBs are still the best class for stamina sustain, the gap to other classes has just been somewhat shortened now.

If by your logic this change leads to a significant nerf to PvE stam NBs you have to accept it's equally a buff to PvE magicka NBs. And they needed some PvE love too.

Overall, the NB passive change seems more of a buff than a nerf in my eyes from a PvP perspective. Obviously for magicka NBs but even for stam NBs. Because most of them use drinks and that 15% magicka regen is super sweet for that. NBs make excellent hybrid builds.
    EU | PC | AD
  • MCMancub
    MCMancub
    ✭✭✭✭
    I appreciate all the legitimate responses (those of you who didn't act like children). I guess I will need to see how this change actually affects their current situation, on both PvE and PvP fronts, before coming to a definitive answer.
    Edited by MCMancub on July 31, 2015 2:55PM
  • Zanen
    Zanen
    ✭✭✭
    I actually think the regen change and cost reduction on class stamina abilities are going to leave us in a decent place as far as dps sustain goes.

WW change and the nerf to weapon/spell power hits everyone.

The sense I'm getting from this patch is the stam NB will be OK but we're having all our choices made for us. Have to spam SA now, have to use KB, have to be DPS because Templars and DKs are even stronger in the other roles than before, mobility build (roll/bow) is dead and so on.

• ABL
    ABL
    ✭✭
    I am not a nb dps ,i am a nb tank. I have put all in defense, i do no dps but i can hold some players /monster the time my friends kill them.

Now what i will do with all that ridiculous nerf on stamina? They even have nerf syphon skill of nb.

I cant regen when i block ,i must lost magicka all 10s to have a chance, when i attack, to earn ressources, i lose regen of ww, i lose regen of nb passiv.

How it is possible to make a tank with so mutilated class?

I have one character on that game it is a nb tank. My knight spirit is revolted.

I cant stay on that game. They dont want knight here ,they want army of range dps and a shoot them up online.
    Images not allowed. You can use BBCode in your post. Sad forum.
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ABL wrote: »
    I am not a nb dps ,i am a nb tank. I have put all in defense, i do no dps but i can hold some players /monster the time my friends kill them.

Now what i will do with all that ridiculous nerf on stamina? They even have nerf syphon skill of nb.

I cant regen when i block ,i must lost magicka all 10s to have a chance, when i attack, to earn ressources, i lose regen of ww, i lose regen of nb passiv.

I have one character on that game it is a nb tank. My knight spirit is revolted.

I cant stay on that game. They dont want knight here ,they want army of range dps and a shoot them up online.

Relax, keep breathing, stop randomly bolding text...

People have already completed the new v16 dungeons on PTS with NB tanks. The world is not ending. NB tanks are not screwed.
    EU | PC | AD
  • Zsymon
    Zsymon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Refreshing Shadows is still the strongest passive in the game, for both magicka and stamina builds.
  • Zsymon
    Zsymon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Use the Serpent Mundus Stone for a ton extra stamina recovery.
  • MCMancub
    MCMancub
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zsymon wrote: »
    Use the Serpent Mundus Stone for a ton extra stamina recovery.

Again, it's not that you can't get the regeneration, it's just that you have to sacrifice areas that can't really be sacrificed (I'm referring to their position in end-game PvE DPS). I lose 12% crit damage, which is equal to at least 3 or 4k DPS by switching to the Serpent.

I think the most realistic thing to do right now, for me anyways, would be to shift from using the Warlord to using Mooncalf, especially since NB stamina abilities cost 20% less now.
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I loved rubbing the bosmer+nightblade stam regen in the fact of my friends, but this change was fair.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • kogadrake
    kogadrake
    ABL wrote: »

so you went from NB tank with 100% block uptime spamming funnel health keeping your stamina above 75% most of the time to needing to think about what to block/dodge, upkeep a skill to get less resources back then live.. but oh wait go look at PTS forums, NB tanks have already been tanking all the new content... this is a MMO adjust and learn how to deal with changes or find a new type of game to play as changes like this happen at every major patch (some impact more then others)

yes using 30% stam regen is a hit, but NB stam with WW was so high most end that it was unbalanced with other classes and maybe it was too much, but then factor in 20% reduced cost on class stamina skills and guess what it likely ballances out... looking at just 30% loss to regen without looking at other changes like reduced costs of class stamina skills make it seem much worse..
  • Zsymon
    Zsymon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Isn't 20% reduced cost a larger difference than 30% stamina recovery?