Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Cany someone please tell me why my skill wont level up? :(

IOUAT
IOUAT
✭✭✭
Im a high elf sorcerer and im trying to unlock the skill soul strike which unlocks at soul magic level 6 ... i am doing quests killing enemies but everytime i go to the skills tab my soul magic is still sitting at soul magic level one :( .. i have soul splitting trap 1 as an active skill too . so why isnt my soul magic leveling up ? :(
  • sadownik
    sadownik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im a high elf sorcerer and im trying to unlock the skill soul strike which unlocks at soul magic level 6 ... i am doing quests killing enemies but everytime i go to the skills tab my soul magic is still sitting at soul magic level one :( .. i have soul splitting trap 1 as an active skill too . so why isnt my soul magic leveling up ? :(

This specific skill line (soul magic) levels up with progerssing the main story quests (prophet et al).
  • IOUAT
    IOUAT
    ✭✭✭
    sadownik wrote: »

This specific skill line (soul magic) levels up with progerssing the main story quests (prophet et al).

prohet whats that is that some sort of a quest or something? D:
  • NotSo
    NotSo
    ✭✭✭✭
    The prophet tries to give you a main quest every time you enter a major town. If you open up your quest journal, you should see a tab called "main quest", just follow that. You get a new main quest every 5 levels or so.
    Gar'Sol the Wanderer VR14 Khajiit Sorcerer Spellblade
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are a few skill lines like that.

Mages guide skills level with finding lore books.

Fighters guide skills level with killing undead/daedra.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • IOUAT
    IOUAT
    ✭✭✭
    but
    NotSo wrote: »
    The prophet tries to give you a main quest every time you enter a major town. If you open up your quest journal, you should see a tab called "main quest", just follow that. You get a new main quest every 5 levels or so.

im already past level 20 :/ and i dont think ive even started the main quest yet because side quests were popping up everywhere and everything just piles up so quick and gets side tracked... is this bad ? :/
  • IOUAT
    IOUAT
    ✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    There are a few skill lines like that.

Mages guide skills level with finding lore books.

Fighters guide skills level with killing undead/daedra.

so i need lore books too level up my soul magic or do i just need to do the main story quests like the other guy said?
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Soul magic = level main quest

Ledgerdemain = pick locks/doors and I think also steal/fence.

Anyone know any other than these four lines?
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • NotSo
    NotSo
    ✭✭✭✭
    The profit should drop quests right into your journal, even if you just run past him without noticing. The very first quest should be to meet him in the Harborage (map icon in first major map zone (excluding noob island) that looks like a mountain with a doorway.
  • IOUAT
    IOUAT
    ✭✭✭
    Oh the prophet I haven't seen that old man in ages Dx.. I wish I had known soul magic was tied to him before I started getting into the higher levels : / .. will it make a difference now that I'm higher level?
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure; you might be able to sort of high-speed through the various dungeons/adventures.
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    Oh the prophet I haven't seen that old man in ages Dx.. I wish I had known soul magic was tied to him before I started getting into the higher levels : / .. will it make a difference now that I'm higher level?

It will make no difference. The main story quests are solo missions and, therefore, will adjust to your current level. I believe you will have to actually finish all of the main story before you can get to Level 6 in Soul Magic Skill line, and you can't actually get the last mission until Level 45. So it will be awhile before you can earn that skill :(
  • IOUAT
    IOUAT
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure; you might be able to sort of high-speed through the various dungeons/adventures.

Not sure ?
  • IOUAT
    IOUAT
    ✭✭✭
    Allyhoo811 wrote: »

It will make no difference. The main story quests are solo missions and, therefore, will adjust to your current level. I believe you will have to actually finish all of the main story before you can get to Level 6 in Soul Magic Skill line, and you can't actually get the last mission until Level 45. So it will be awhile before you can earn that skill :(

Noooooooooooooooooooo. :( whyyyy whyyy whyyyyyyyyy. T.T. I'm nowhere near 45 I just got to level 22 :(
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Noooooooooooooooooooo. :( whyyyy whyyy whyyyyyyyyy. T.T. I'm nowhere near 45 I just got to level 22 :(

Um.... to give you something to strive for?
  • IOUAT
    IOUAT
    ✭✭✭
    Soul magic = level main quest

Ledgerdemain = pick locks/doors and I think also steal/fence.

Anyone know any other than these four lines?

i just did the harborage quest but the soul magic hasnt gone up ..not even a slither? is this normal?
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    i just did the harborage quest but the soul magic hasnt gone up ..not even a slither? is this normal?

I don't know how fast it goes. All I know is that progress in soul magic is linked to main quest/harborage progression. Now I do know that ingame I can roll my cursor over the XP bar (looking at the skill line menues) and the mage XP line will display something about lore books, and so on with the fighter's guide.

I haven't tried it with the Soul Magic line, so maybe that could be of help.
  • NotSo
    NotSo
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the main quest line only awards xp for completing major quests. The first quest awarding nothing.
  • IOUAT
    IOUAT
    ✭✭✭
    I think the main quest line only awards xp for completing major quests. The first quest awarding nothing.

Well what are the major quests do u know? And if so how is that stacking up to soul magic 6 ?
  • IOUAT
    IOUAT
    ✭✭✭

Well what are the major quests do u know? And if so how is that stacking up to soul magic 6 ?

What I mean is if only major ones give xp then it must be alit of xp because aren't the main quests not a lot?
  • NotSo
    NotSo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah every major quest should award a full level in Soul Magic.
  • IOUAT
    IOUAT
    ✭✭✭
    ohhhh well

that should be good :O one full level sounds nice .. however i didnt know that u had to be certain level to even get the rest of the quests .. im only level 23 anyway to level up faster? i feel like my levels are going up bit by bit and ive done lots of quests. then again im usually by myself >_> ... do u know if filling soul gems has anyhting to do with leveling soul magic also?
  • NotSo
    NotSo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Leveling the soul magic skill line is done strictly through main quest progression, I am afraid.
    The last major quest being done at, I believe, level 45. To complete the skill line at level 6.
    Edited by NotSo on July 5, 2015 8:07PM
  • IOUAT
    IOUAT
    ✭✭✭
    u mean
    Leveling sthe sould magic skill line is done strictly through main quest progression, I am afraid.
    The last major quest being done at, I believe, level 45. To complete the skill line at level 6.

council of the five companions? i looked it up and theres like 3 more missions after that but there level 50 . they dont count right?
  • NotSo
    NotSo
    ✭✭✭✭
    I dunno, I thought they sort of ran together at level 45.
  • IOUAT
    IOUAT
    ✭✭✭

yeah theres three level 50 quests of main after the 45 one the harborage .. imwondering if they have anything to do with te soul magic skill too or is the 45th one the one that finishes the skill off e.e
  • NotSo
    NotSo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry haha. The first time I went though was april 2014 and the last time (second time) was feb this year with a self sustaining templar that just murdered everything. Didn't notice when it leveled in that case.
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    Just my two cents...I know you really want the Soul Strike skill, but I wouldn't try to rush/level faster all the way to 45 just to get it. That would be a lot of boring grinding or rushed content just for one ability. I don't use Soul Strike myself, but I can't imagine any one ability being worth all that. Just take your time and enjoy the ride...You will get the ability eventually and won't have skipped/rushed a good chunk of the game to get it :)

Disclaimer: If you really enjoy grinding or don't enjoy questing/story content then, of course, the above wouldn't apply lol
  • NotSo
    NotSo
    ✭✭✭✭
    I remember working my butt off just for Summon Meteor from mages guild skill line. Best. Ultimate. Evar.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I think the soul magic is only effected by the "quests" that you do for the prophet. That would trigger about every 5 levels or so.
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭

No, Soul Magic is the vestige quest line reward. Consider it the same as you would a Mage or Fighter guild quest line. Separate to all other quests, including the "main" quest line.

Maybe Undaunted should level up at the same time as provisioning ?
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend