The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Video: How to play a burst high damage Dragonknight - Rossh vs Mage

LegendaryMage
LegendaryMage
✭✭✭✭✭
Watch in hd, enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmtZbsVLahs

Brief Commentary and Impressions:
Duel between Rossh, EP Dragonknight and myself, AD sorcerer. This is how you play a caster dk basically and burst down everyone, especially those pesky sorcs and stamblades everyone complains about. :)

This is a good example of what I was telling you about for so long, if you play a DK you can totally burst down people with Meteors, high damage whips and petrify to CC them at will. Even better so than I can ever do with a sorcerer, and you can watch all my clips, 90% of the fights end with me bursting someone down with a streak/meteor combo after wearing them down previously.

In this fight, I had to maneuver a lot to not get killed by this deadly combo, the first time you see him pull it on me I had a lot of shields (and my shields are pretty big actually), and even had to use a potion to sustain myself better and get out of the ground.

2nd time I managed to block it last milisecond and stun him (didn't expect frags to go out as I canceled them, but probably at the same time they went out) and the third time I tried to streak-stun him and deal with high damage meteor on my own, but it failed. Thankfully it got me some distance and I managed to finish him off later on as his weakness is defense in terms of low hp and mitigation (when he's out of shields) and then you can burst him.

It is actually much easier to burst down stam people (unless they're in full nirn and you got no penetration) so you should have even less problems with them than magica specs such as myself that can absorb a lot of punishment before going down.

The sustain on this DK is pretty good too, the fight was cut short but he is totally capable of fighting for prolonged periods of time, which is what makes it one of the best DK specs in the game in my opinion. At least for small scale and fast kills.
  • Erondil
    Erondil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Watch in hd, enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmtZbsVLahs

Brief Commentary and Impressions:
    Duel between Rossh, EP Dragonknight and myself, AD sorcerer. This is how you play a caster dk basically and burst down everyone, especially those pesky sorcs and stamblades everyone complains about. :)

This is a good example of what I was telling you about for so long, if you play a DK you can totally burst down people with Meteors, high damage whips and petrify to CC them at will. Even better so than I can ever do with a sorcerer, and you can watch all my clips, 90% of the fights end with me bursting someone down with a streak/meteor combo after wearing them down previously.

In this fight, I had to maneuver a lot to not get killed by this deadly combo, the first time you see him pull it on me I had a lot of shields (and my shields are pretty big actually), and even had to use a potion to sustain myself better and get out of the ground.

2nd time I managed to block it last milisecond and stun him (didn't expect frags to go out as I canceled them, but probably at the same time they went out) and the third time I tried to streak-stun him and deal with high damage meteor on my own, but it failed. Thankfully it got me some distance and I managed to finish him off later on as his weakness is defense in terms of low hp and mitigation (when he's out of shields) and then you can burst him.

It is actually much easier to burst down stam people (unless they're in full nirn and you got no penetration) so you should have even less problems with them than magica specs such as myself that can absorb a lot of punishment before going down.

The sustain on this DK is pretty good too, the fight was cut short but he is totally capable of fighting for prolonged periods of time, which is what makes it one of the best DK specs in the game in my opinion. At least for small scale and fast kills.

I would like to see the same build in open PvP.
    ~retired~
    EU server, former Zerg Squad and Banana Squad officer
    Dennegor NB AD, AvA 50 Grand Overlord 24/05/2016
    rekt you NB AD, AvA 32
    Erondil Sorc AD, AvA 23
    Denne the Banana Slayer NB EP, AvA 14
    Darth Dennegor lv50 Stamina NB DC, AvA 19
    Youtube Channel
  • LegendaryMage
    LegendaryMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will ask Rossh to record some clips later when I'm on. Or captain capslock. I don't see a reason why they can't do 1vX but they can go 10+ minutes with me in a duel. If I can do 1vX, they can too.
  • halfbadger
    halfbadger
    ✭✭✭
    boring
  • LegendaryMage
    LegendaryMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    halfbadger wrote: »
    boring

Not as much as your comment is.
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will ask Rossh to record some clips later when I'm on. Or captain capslock. I don't see a reason why they can't do 1vX but they can go 10+ minutes with me in a duel. If I can do 1vX, they can too.

its the lack of mobility - dont use streak in a 1vsX and you will get your butt handed back to you, sure they can make a magica DK build work well in 1vsX but that loses its burst entirly. that build simply doesent work against multiple attackers if they are not complete clay pigeons >:)
    spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• LegendaryMage
    LegendaryMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tankqull wrote: »

its the lack of mobility - dont use streak in a 1vsX and you will get your butt handed back to you, sure they can make a magica DK build work well in 1vsX but that loses its burst entirly. that build simply doesent work against multiple attackers if they are not complete clay pigeons >:)

Yes, that's the only thing I'm sure they're missing to be the perfect 1vX machines. An escape. They could use mistform when things get ugly maybe, but it's still not ideal. Don't you think scales help them even in its nerfed form? Battleroar, scales etc. it all seems so perfect for 1vX. They can certainly have decent shields like sorcs do too, put points into bastion, use igneous + harness + healing ward and so on.
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    scales doesent help when being charged as a stationary object by 4 critcharges ;)

Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• LegendaryMage
    LegendaryMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    scales doesent help when being charged as a stationary object by 4 critcharges ;)

Alright fair enough, but then again streak don't help much either when they are following you with charges. But being able to reflect meteors and ranged projectiles must count for something at least? I always have to eat everything served to me (even with BOL many times it doesn't work at all) and deal with it somehow, they can at least keep scales up decently enough to reflect hard hitting projectiles (including physical ones) and deal with melee people the way that a sorc would, with shields.
  • themdogesbite
    themdogesbite
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, that's the only thing I'm sure they're missing to be the perfect 1vX machines. An escape. They could use mistform when things get ugly maybe, but it's still not ideal. Don't you think scales help them even in its nerfed form? Battleroar, scales etc. it all seems so perfect for 1vX. They can certainly have decent shields like sorcs do too, put points into bastion, use igneous + harness + healing ward and so on.

Mist form is alright but not good enopugh, Stealth attacks go through scales and ingious shield scale of hp. Main problem Dks have in this meta is that they need a setup with more well rounded attributes then other classes. A sorc can more or less pump everything into max mana and benefit from it, dks Need a decent chunk of HP to get alright scaleing with dragonblood and ingious shield and shackle synnergy for banner. But also need a decent chunk of stamina to be able to block (Lack of mobility gets compensated with tankiness) and then also a decent chunk of magicka to be able to dash out any damage. In a meta were instagibbing is the norm a well rounded setup dont have to much space unfortunately, we manage but its rough.
    :]
  • Export
    Export
    Soul Shriven
    Build?
    Edited by Export on May 28, 2015 12:02PM
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Alright fair enough, but then again streak don't help much either when they are following you with charges. But being able to reflect meteors and ranged projectiles must count for something at least? I always have to eat everything served to me (even with BOL many times it doesn't work at all) and deal with it somehow, they can at least keep scales up decently enough to reflect hard hitting projectiles (including physical ones) and deal with melee people the way that a sorc would, with shields.

it helps significantly as it enables you to use obstacles for breaking los in an attempt to seperate them, mist form doesent help that much as you are constantly chargeble thx to tab-locking, their dmg requires significant casting times wich opens you up to knockdowns etc. as seen in your vid.

• LegendaryMage
    LegendaryMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mist form is alright but not good enopugh, Stealth attacks go through scales and ingious shield scale of hp. Main problem Dks have in this meta is that they need a setup with more well rounded attributes then other classes. A sorc can more or less pump everything into max mana and benefit from it, dks Need a decent chunk of HP to get alright scaleing with dragonblood and ingious shield and shackle synnergy for banner. But also need a decent chunk of stamina to be able to block (Lack of mobility gets compensated with tankiness) and then also a decent chunk of magicka to be able to dash out any damage. In a meta were instagibbing is the norm a well rounded setup dont have to much space unfortunately, we manage but its rough.

I see. I thought only blazing shield was scalling off of hp and last night I told everyone if it was up to me, I'd make it scale off of magica, same would go for igneous I guess.

I like my mobility, I can't say I don't, but many times in 1vX I feel like it's worth for *** when you get tons of people following you around with charges and tell myself I would have done better if I just didn't try to run. Which is why I always felt like DKs would do better in 1vX (1.6) simply because they had tools that sorcs don't (scales mainly, even in its nerfed form). I also like daedric mines a lot, those help in smaller 1vX fights, but in larger they're useless 100% while you could spam scales and still deflect a bunch of attacks back to them.

Have you tried playing your dk without permablocking? You could go destro/reso and only get as much stamina management as you need to always be able to breakfree and maybe use shuffle, no need to go s/b perhaps. Instead of blocking, you go with shields more such as harness/healing and even igneous if it's a bit weaker (boost it up a bit with bastion so it's not total crap).
    Export wrote: »
    Build?

My build or the dk build?
  • Etaniel
    Etaniel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Scales are not 100% working as intended right now. Just yesterday, I recorded a lot of clips where projectiles from snipers are going through my wings (not a case of double reflect). Also casting wings 1 sec before a meteor hits you doesn't guarantee that it will get reflected. The skill feels clunky atm, and the animation is slow so it doesn't feel responsive. I would really love to get the old animation back, as well as some proper weapon swapping mechanics, but adding this to the nerf makes the skill unreliable (yet impossible to play without it)
    Noricum | Kitesquad

Youtube

AR 41 DC DK

• Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I see. I thought only blazing shield was scalling off of hp and last night I told everyone if it was up to me, I'd make it scale off of magica, same would go for igneous I guess.

I like my mobility, I can't say I don't, but many times in 1vX I feel like it's worth for *** when you get tons of people following you around with charges and tell myself I would have done better if I just didn't try to run. Which is why I always felt like DKs would do better in 1vX (1.6) simply because they had tools that sorcs don't (scales mainly, even in its nerfed form). I also like daedric mines a lot, those help in smaller 1vX fights, but in larger they're useless 100% while you could spam scales and still deflect a bunch of attacks back to them.

Have you tried playing your dk without permablocking? You could go destro/reso and only get as much stamina management as you need to always be able to breakfree and maybe use shuffle, no need to go s/b perhaps. Instead of blocking, you go with shields more such as harness/healing and even igneous if it's a bit weaker (boost it up a bit with bastion so it's not total crap).
    Build?

i´m absolutly by your side here dk´s are still a great option for 1vsX (no longer 3 classes above everybody else but in my eyes still the strongest class for that) but you have to optimize for the strength of the dk (its tankiness) and not a build like Rossh is using.

• themdogesbite
    themdogesbite
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Build?

I did try a Light armour / Staff spec at one point, damage wise it was alright but survivabilty just wasnt there really. It worked great for duels and meh for open world pvp. I managed to push the crit whips arround the 11 - 12k mark but stamina nightblades just hit too hard for it to work out. On the other hand it isnt really possible to play without permablocking, i take arround 3 - 4k damage through block against certain opponents, imagine that wihtout blocking and with even less armour...
  • themdogesbite
    themdogesbite
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Build?

i´m absolutly by your side here dk´s are still a great option for 1vsX (no longer 3 classes above everybody else but in my eyes still the strongest class for that) but you have to optimize for the strength of the dk (its tankiness) and not a build like Rossh is using.

Im sorry but i have to disagree, sorcs and nightbaldes are above due to mobility and possibe damage output whilst still beeing very able to survive compared to a DK. They simply dont have to make the same sacrifises.
  • LegendaryMage
    LegendaryMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, in 1.5 they didn't need an escape because they could just deal with things with a 4 second immunity to more than half damage abilities in this game (as well as damage those same people in return with them). But now it's a different story indeed.

In 1.5 a sorc could never jump in a group of 20 people and tank them forever, he would get instantly blown into pieces, while a Dk could reflect every 4 seconds, damage people passively and use all other resources for blocking/healing up. Maybe not kill everyone, but certainly keep the zerg busy for awhile which is a good thing. I still remember one dk who was so tanky, he was literally taking a pounding by 15-20 people for a long, long, long, long time. I was impressed of course. But they were still weak in 1v1 though, kinda the easiest opponents for me in 1.5

As for Rossh, I think he would do fine in small 1vX encounters, like 3-4-5 people or so depending on his opponents skills. But in 1v1 I am a strong believer he would blast most DKs into oblivion with his damage.
    Edited by LegendaryMage on May 28, 2015 12:24PM
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I tried a bit around on my DK at the beginning of 1.6.
    The cc wasn't really great if I didn't actually stand inmidst the enemies, except Fossilize, wich is single target.
    Igneos Shield was just half as strong as my Hardened Ward because I had to invest into HP a little and it doesn't have the 33% bonus anyway. The mending buff is only really useful when going with Dragon Blood, Healing Ward will heal me full most of the time anyway.
    And mobility just isn't there, would need mistform at least.
    It wasn't that hard figuring out a setup with staffs that would have enough defense, but it hit like a wet noodle then...
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • Majax
    Majax
    Thx for the video LM its pretty intructive. I see this DK playing with dual axe to proc Valkyn skoria meteor but its not a good option versus damage shield spammer.
    Maybe it was a better option to play with a board&sword in 1vX to tank many ppl with bloc bonus from 1/S passive.
  • LegendaryMage
    LegendaryMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Majax wrote: »
    Thx for the video LM its pretty intructive. I see this DK playing with dual axe to proc Valkyn skoria meteor but its not a good option versus damage shield spammer.
    Maybe it was a better option to play with a board&sword in 1vX to tank many ppl with bloc bonus from 1/S passive.

Np, I'm glad you enjoyed it, it was a very intense fight and I can say Rossh is definitely one of the most dangerous opponents I ran into so far. His funky build deals top damage and can blast you into oblivion before you know it. Maybe some people see it as an easy fight because I was so careful and played it extremely safe to get by him, but it was far from an easy fight.
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Build?

Im sorry but i have to disagree, sorcs and nightbaldes are above due to mobility and possibe damage output whilst still beeing very able to survive compared to a DK. They simply dont have to make the same sacrifises.

its a question of how you determine 1vsX if X=2 i do agree, if X>2 it moves more and more towards the DK regardless if you compare it to the sorc or nb.

• themdogesbite
    themdogesbite
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Build?

its a question of how you determine 1vsX if X=2 i do agree, if X>2 it moves more and more towards the DK regardless if you compare it to the sorc or nb.

Still strongly dissagree, in situations like theese theres ususaly someone fearing / spamming jesus beam on you / abusing petrify bug. It usualy quiicky turn into a unwinable fight, but sorc especially can move out and start the picking one by one game, Nbs can try ti escape wiht cloak, but the dk will enjoy a lovely moment of horse simulator. Then again, grass is always greener isnt it? ;)
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Build?

Still strongly dissagree, in situations like theese theres ususaly someone fearing / spamming jesus beam on you / abusing petrify bug. It usualy quiicky turn into a unwinable fight, but sorc especially can move out and start the picking one by one game, Nbs can try ti escape wiht cloak, but the dk will enjoy a lovely moment of horse simulator. Then again, grass is always greener isnt it? ;)

Tbh I agree. A magicka DK can set up to tank for ages, but then needs help from damage builds to kill. If he's setup as a damage dealer than he's not mobile enough to survive an un-winnable 1vX situation.

I think magicka heavy DKs and Temps make the best group builds. That's their strong suit. They are virtually unkillable with a lot of CC and the cumulative damage of the group is enough to steamroll randoms. Sorc doesn't have the same group usefulness as these two for example.

Buuut magicka DKs and Temps are not solo friendly. So if you like solo or 1vX play and you want a magicka build, Sorc and NB are definitely better.
    EU | PC | AD
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I fought Rossh, fun fight, good dps, also fought Sgt-Sunshine, also insane burst. Good builds both of them. In 1v1. They lack escape tho for 1vX for a light armor build like that, specially now that scales are nerfed, and if they go vamp, sure that would help some, but with all the dawnbreakers out there now (incl me) that will hurt alot (ive hit ppl for over 25k dmg in one dawnbreaker)

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Gargragrond
    Gargragrond
    ✭✭✭

Nowadays the battle roar equals 2k resources every 40sec or so. 3sec worth of regen does not really make much difference. Scales and shields do help a bit, but spending 1sec to cast a 7k shield isn't too effective when a single surprise attack hits for 9k, not to mention wrecking blows, or someone jesus beaming behind the crowd. You just can't keep up with the damage.
  • Lorkhan
    Lorkhan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gf
  • Erondil
    Erondil
    ✭✭✭✭✭

forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/1828835/#Comment_1828835
    ~retired~
    EU server, former Zerg Squad and Banana Squad officer
    Dennegor NB AD, AvA 50 Grand Overlord 24/05/2016
    rekt you NB AD, AvA 32
    Erondil Sorc AD, AvA 23
    Denne the Banana Slayer NB EP, AvA 14
    Darth Dennegor lv50 Stamina NB DC, AvA 19
    Youtube Channel
  • LegendaryMage
    LegendaryMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Erondil wrote: »

forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/1828835/#Comment_1828835

I read it, I just think it's pointless to discuss this further until he goes out and confirms by himself. Can he 1vx, how many people could he get considering they're all 'decent pugs' as some seem to describe them etc. I think he's viable for open pvp, you think he's not. The man himself can tell us how it is eventually. :)
  • Valnas
    Valnas
    ✭✭✭✭
    stam burst is a problem for resto/destro dk. It tests your stam pool while getting unmitigated dmg thru your igeous with every swipe. they can deal w/ bow via reflect but 1 2H user in a 1vx and your on the defensive or running with no out besides bursting them apart first cause the dmg is sustainable ..... you'd basically have to counterplay when you cast your big healing ward -> GDB/lash heal type thing
    Edited by Valnas on May 28, 2015 4:51PM
    Fluph Head EP sorc dank magus
    valnäs EP nb
    opHotterslol AD dk
  • frozywozy
    frozywozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Etaniel wrote: »

Scales are not 100% working as intended right now. Just yesterday, I recorded a lot of clips where projectiles from snipers are going through my wings (not a case of double reflect). Also casting wings 1 sec before a meteor hits you doesn't guarantee that it will get reflected. The skill feels clunky atm, and the animation is slow so it doesn't feel responsive. I would really love to get the old animation back, as well as some proper weapon swapping mechanics, but adding this to the nerf makes the skill unreliable (yet impossible to play without it)

This guy is right. Scales are getting more and more useless everyday. It all started when they changed it so you could only reflect 4 projectiles. It gets less and less responsive everyday. Yesterday for example, I was sieging an inner postern and 2 archers on the wall were spamming venom arrow / focused aim on me. I was using Scales every 2seconds but I still died with a death recap full of projectiles.

@LegendaryMage - I'm pretty sure you could have killed that DK easily just streaking out of melee range and dropping mines everytime. Since he uses resto, he doesn't have a gap close so by the time he reaches to you, your mines are activated. You simply decided to use them only once (near the end of the fight) and I think that was your mistake.

I'm not blaming the DK for not using one hand shield though, healing ward is the only option a magicka DK has to survive against physical damage burst and the more I think about it, the more I feel like I should go destro/resto. Even with 21k physical resistance (buffed with hardened armor), glass cannon stamina builds still wreck me pretty hard. I don't like the fact that both morphs of Obisidian Shield (DK's class shield) are for group play mostly. One morph should be for solo or 1vX and gives alot more damage mitigation. Otherwise, your only option is to put a considerable amount of points in bastion which penalize you a lot (at least 30points) or you give up sword and board (your only gap closer) for a much better shield.

In the end, you have to pick between resisting stamina bursts or magicka bursts. Impossible to aim for the just middle unless once again, if you have 250+ cps and can increase your igneous shield high enough so you don't necessary need healing ward.

Frozn - Stamdk - AR50
    Frosted - Magplar - AR50
    Frodn - Magden - AR50
    Warmed - Magblade - AR50
    Mmfrozy - Magsorc - AR44
    Necrozn - Magcro - AR32
    Twitch.TV/FrozyTV
    PvP Group Builds

“Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events, and great minds discuss ideas.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
    • Fix Volendrung (spawn location - weapon white on the map causing the wielder to keep it forever - usable with emperorship)
    • Remove / Change CPs System, remove current CP/noCP campaigns and introduce one 30days with lock, one with no locks
    • Fix crashes when approaching a keep under attack because of bad / wrong rendering prioritization system
    • Change emperorship to value faction score points and not alliance points - see this and this
    • Fix long loading screens (mostly caused by players joining group out of rendering range)
    • Add 2 more quickslots to the wheel or add a different wheel for sieges weaponry only
    • Fix Balista Bolts not dealing damage on walls or doors if deployed at a certain place
    • Release bigger battlegrounds with 8 to 16 players per team and only two teams
    • Fix the permanent block animation - see examples : link1 link2 link3 link4 link5
    • Gives players 10 minutes to get back into Cyrodiil after relogging / crashing
    • Add a function to ignore the Claiming system of useless rewards
    • Improve the Mailing System / Rewards of the Worthy stacking
    • Assign specific group sizes to specific campaigns (24-16-8)
    • Make forward camps impossible to place near objectives
    • Make snares only available from ground effects abilities
    • Change emperorship to last minimum 24hours
    • Fix body sliding after cc breaking too quickly
    • Remove Block Casting through Battle Spirit
    • Fix the speed drop while jumping - see video
    • Fix loading screens when keeps upgrade
    • Fix Rams going crazy (spinning around)
    • Bring back dynamic ulti regeneration
    • Fix speed bug (abilities locked)
    • Introduce dynamic population
    • Lower population cap by 20%
    • Add Snare Immunity potions
    • Bring resurrection sickness
    • Fix character desync
    • Fix cc breaking bug
    • Fix gap closer bug
    • Fix health desync
    • Fix combat bug
    • Fix streak bug