Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

PvP addons

qsnoopyjr
qsnoopyjr
✭✭✭✭
So, I have a question regarding addons.

Not all addons are available to the community, correct?

Like if someone made a really nice addon like a call targets addon, and they wanted there friends to only have it so they have an advantage over their enemies its possible correct?

I've been in a lot of fights lately, my team larger than the enemy team, yet I noticed when we fight, everyone is attacking everyone but the enemy team is coordinating attacks on 1 person at a time. As if they had a call target addon.

Which calling targets should already be in the game, and shouldn't need an addon for that.
  • Teargrants
    Teargrants
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The API doesn't support anything like target marking for groups.

The answer is that they are in TS calling targets and you guys aren't.
    POST EQVITEM SEDET ATRA CVRA
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
    EP ※ Teargrants ※
    EP ※ Kissgrants ※
    DC ※ Kirsi ※
    Vehemence Council
    #JustOutOfRenderRange
    ~Teargrants YouTube~
    ┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴
  • Minnesinger
    Minnesinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your group has been together for some time they should automatically choose the right target. If they don´t there is no addon choosing the right ones. Of course, the group leader can point you at the right target too.

It is like simple task (kill the fricken healer and leave tank alone)

499.jpg
    The wind is cold where I live,
    The blizzard is my home,
    Snow and ice and loaded dice, the Wizard lives alone.
  • Sacadon
    Sacadon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone can run any addons that work of course... They just need to follow the ToS. I've several that I've created that no one else has.
    Edited by Sacadon on May 24, 2015 7:34PM
  • Docmandu
    Docmandu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark target is easy.. just follow the jesus beam!
  • qsnoopyjr
    qsnoopyjr
    ✭✭✭✭
    You guys don't understand. Group im in are pug groups.
    The fights are like 13 vs 7
    All my team is attacking a totally different target.
    Those 7 players, they all gank 1 person at a time and not run around casting spells on a random target.

What I'm getting too is, can someone make a really helpful addon, but not share it?

Like a call target addon where the leader calls a target, a big arrow appears above that targets head.
    All the other people in that group press T and they lock onto the target and continue ganking.
    BTW that's what you do in GW2, someone calls a target, everyone presses T and attacks the target.

Just so frustrating see my teammates all try kill a random target and the other team, in unison is dominating 1 person at a time.

I know there is voice chat, but how quickly they can tell who the target is and lock on them, in midst of battle just kinda mind blowing.
    So again curious, if there are addons that are hidden to community but highly useful. Like a CALL TARGET addon.
    Edited by qsnoopyjr on May 24, 2015 10:13PM
  • Poxheart
    Poxheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Teargrants wrote: »

Here is the answer to your question.
    Unsubbed and no longer playing, but still checking the Alliance War forum for the lulz.

Pox Dragon Knight
    Poxheart Nightblade
    The Murder Hobo Dragon Knight - Blackwater Blade
    Knights of the WhiteWolf
  • Manoekin
    Manoekin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    qsnoopyjr wrote: »
    The fights are like 13 vs 7
    All my team is attacking a totally different target.
    Those 7 players, they all gank 1 person at a time and not run around casting spells on a random target.

What I'm getting too is, can someone make a really helpful addon, but not share it?

Like a call target addon where the leader calls a target, a big arrow appears above that targets head.
    All the other people in that group press T and they lock onto the target and continue ganking.
    BTW that's what you do in GW2, someone calls a target, everyone presses T and attacks the target.

Just so frustrating see my teammates all try kill a random target and the other team, in unison is dominating 1 person at a time.

I know there is voice chat, but how quickly they can tell who the target is and lock on them, in midst of battle just kinda mind blowing.
    So again curious, if there are addons that are hidden to community but highly useful. Like a CALL TARGET addon.

The addon you speak of doesn't exist because the API does not support it. It's impossible.

However, there are addons that aren't publicly available, but not the kind that you mention in your post.
  • qsnoopyjr
    qsnoopyjr
    ✭✭✭✭
    Poxheart wrote: »

No that is not the answer to my question.
    Yes teamspeak could help.
    But theres no LABELS over peoples head. You cant easily find JO SHMO.

But if there was an addon, where a leader clicked on someone and everyone else using that addon pressed T and everyone would be targeted on JO SHMO, than I can see how people can quickly and easily determine the target...
    While MY TEAM, if was in coordinated team speak. Attack John Doe... Where is John Doe? I CANT FIND HIM... yada yada yada. Other team. just press T and BAM your locked on the enemy.

But my question isn't pertaining to that, its in bold again.

ARE THERE ADDONS THAT ARE INSANE GOOD but not available to the community?

In order to use an addon does it have to be publicly acceptable or can you make an insane good addon and nobody but you and your friends can reap from the benefits of it??
    Edited by qsnoopyjr on May 24, 2015 10:30PM
  • Winnamine
    Winnamine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bigger issue here... learn about AOE.
    Why in the world would you need all 13 of you attacking the same player?
    Winni
    ~
    VE
    Decibel
  • Poxheart
    Poxheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But if there was an addon, where a leader clicked on someone and everyone else using that addon pressed T and everyone would be targeted on JO SHMO, than I can see how people can quickly and easily determine the target...

Here's a question for you: can you click on an opposing player in this game?
    Edited by Poxheart on May 24, 2015 10:49PM
    Unsubbed and no longer playing, but still checking the Alliance War forum for the lulz.

Pox Dragon Knight
    Poxheart Nightblade
    Knights of the WhiteWolf
  • FMonk
    FMonk
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are addons that aren't available publicly, but not what you described, and unlikely anything that would put you at a massive disadvantage. Sounds like you're trying to find any excuse you can for losing, instead of learning to play.
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • Hookgrin
    Hookgrin
    ✭✭✭

The answer is yes probably. I say probably because no one has shared their private insane good addon with me yet :P

In order to use an addon does it have to be publicly acceptable or can you make an insane good addon and nobody but you and your friends can reap from the benefits of it??

The answer to that is no. You can make your own addon that only you or you and your friends use.

I think a key thing here is what ESO calls an addon may be different than what addon can mean in other games. In ESO, ZOS provided a series of commands (the Addon API) that we players can use to gather and display information in the game, on our own screen. And they made a point of ensuring that players can not obtain or share details about enemy players. So the target marking addon you describe is simply not possible using the ESO Addon API. ZOS controls what addons can do, these are not player controlled game code mods.

Well organized teams are very good at working together and use voice communication. They could easily call out a player in some visually descriptive manner. But most likely, they are just following their leader. He attacks a player, they attack the same player. The leader is easy to find, he has a crown over his head. If he is attacking something, you should be attacking it too (if that is the strategy of the group anyway). You could also use different in game skills to mark a target and call in voice what the skill is, and everybody goes after the guy with that skill visual effect on him.
  • Teargrants
    Teargrants
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's yer problems. Pug group w/o TS, of course you're getting rolled by smaller groups using TS.
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
    EP ※ Teargrants ※
    EP ※ Kissgrants ※
    DC ※ Kirsi ※
    Vehemence Council
    #JustOutOfRenderRange
    ~Teargrants YouTube~
    ┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴
  • WRX
    WRX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have a few addons that were modified by guildies and are only accessible through our website. But I can't say it gives us any major competitive advantage.
    Decibel GM

GLUB GLUB
  • FMonk
    FMonk
    ✭✭✭✭
    WRX wrote: »
    We have a few addons that were modified by guildies and are only accessible through our website. But I can't say it gives us any major competitive advantage.

Like the automatic counter-negate addon? :open_mouth:
    Edited by FMonk on May 25, 2015 6:07AM
  • WRX
    WRX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FMonk wrote: »
    WRX wrote: »

Like the automatic counter-negate addon? :open_mouth:

DAMNIT VASHA
    Decibel GM

GLUB GLUB
  • Valnas
    Valnas
    ✭✭✭✭
    that negate add on was BOSS
    Fluph Head EP sorc dank magus
    valnäs EP nb
    opHotterslol AD dk
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No that is not the answer to my question.

While MY TEAM, if was in coordinated team speak. Attack John Doe... Where is John Doe? I CANT FIND HIM... yada yada yada. Other team. just press T and BAM your locked on the enemy.

But my question isn't pertaining to that, its in bold again.

Yes. Yes you can easily find JO SHMO.

Something as easy as "that glowing blue sorc shooting from the hill at 3 o'clock" can be practiced.

Even at 50 vs 50 (boy it's been a while ive seen those), you can easily shout your target.

PLEASE, dear Akatosh, please don't even try to compare TS-less PUG with a veteran group.... I mean, come on.

NOW, the answer to your questions:

NO. API does not support auto-targetting. It also doesn't support character marking.

YES. There are add-ons that are modified and used privately. I mean come on, it's just a string of text. no compiling no debugging..... just straight API calling. save it on a file and share it with your friends. totally possible. no need to go to ESOUI.com, or ZOS, or anyone.
    Edited by Davadin on May 25, 2015 3:51PM
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • qsnoopyjr
    qsnoopyjr
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you think some people cheat?

Like add a brightness on enemies and make them glow different colors. A way to work around the API.
    Then synchronize there efforts as in leader is targeting the purple guy, and everyone presses t and they all lock on the purple glowing person. Due to everyone having a different brightness pattern, they could add the target system.

You know what they say, you let someone in halfway the door, they going to be very secretive and put stuff not in the API or whatever you call that addon program but not tell anyone about it.

How good is ESO security at preventing people from using addons that give them extreme advantages against others like being able to quickly target any person.

In 50v50 battles like you mentioned, theres a lot of people, animations, and objects that get in the way, its not as easy as you make it sound, but if there was a program/addon that made everyone synchronize there target like in GW2, Everquest, etc. than they clearly have an extreme advantage.

Clearly, some people using hidden addons is just unfair. Makes me think of someone using automated targeting in FPS games, or wall hack.
    Addons is just a friendlier term for botting, hacking, etc. because addon alters your game, just like how botting and hacking does the same factor.

How is it botting? That addon you goto the bank and it automatically sorts items. That's botting, a friendly version.
    How is it hacking? That addon that shows you the dps heals etc. scrolling down your screen, you hacked and changed the game.

Wouldn't be surpised if some people had targeting addon, but not available to public.
    If some people had a resource finder addon, but not available to public.
    Clearly advantage to them and disadvantage to the public.
    Anyways, ESO SHOULD HAVE ALREADY IMPLEMENTED a targeting system.
    Everquest a 15 year old game has it, GW2 has it, pretty sure WoW has it.
    Edited by qsnoopyjr on May 25, 2015 7:14PM
  • Warraxx
    Warraxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Group im in are pug groups.

U need to fix ThaT^
  • Ffastyl
    Ffastyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have run with organized, TS using groups of 10 - 60 for 10 months now. I can tell you, each player knows from experience who to target first. Each player knows to concentrate firepower rather than disperse it. Each player knows how to scan the battlefield for nameplates and visual markers. Each player knows to operate as a singular entity rather than 10 - 60 individual entities. This is the virtue of experience.

In TS the leader will call out a name, a location, or a visual description and I can pinpoint the person within seconds on the battlefield. "Attack this guy on a ballista" and I scan for a ballista and target the operator. "Attack [insert name]" and I scan over the enemies before me for the name while also looking for where the leader's attacks are going. "Attack the healer by the rock," I see the rock and I see the staff wielding enemy beside it. "Attack the healer," I can easily see where the healing rays and circles are being casted from/by and attack. "Attack the marked target, the one with Focused Aim/Power of Light/Purifying Light" -- simple enough to look for a column of light or darkness and trace it to the marked target.

Experienced soldiers can quickly spot and prioritize enemies on the battlefield, no matter how busy, no matter how restrictive the camera angle (I play in first). It is as easy as we make it sound. Because we have experience.
    And in PUG groups? I look for who is being targeted by the most people or who I deem the highest priority target (siege operators, healers, gankers, etc.).

That should answer how groups are able to target one person so efficiently.

As for the add-ons... I cannot answer in that field. I do not write add-ons but I do not distrust the words of those before me. At the very least, public add-ons are not capable of the coordinating described, nor are they needed to achieve. Add-ons also often suffer from slight delays and clutter the screen (in my opinion) so I do not use combat add-ons.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

PC NA
    Daggerfall Covenant

Ffastyl - Level 50 Templar
    Arturus Amitis - Level 50 Nightblade
    Sulac the Wanderer - Level 50 Dragonknight
    Arcturus Leland - Level 50 Sorcerer
    Azrog rus-Oliphet - Level 50 Templar
    Tienc - Level 50 Warden
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Ashen Willow Knight - Level 50 Templar
    Champion Rank 938

Check out:
    Old vs New Intro Cinematics

"My strength is that I have no weaknesses. My weakness is that I have no strengths."
    Member since May 4th, 2014.
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you think some people cheat?

Like add a brightness on enemies and make them glow different colors. A way to work around the API.
    Then synchronize there efforts as in leader is targeting the purple guy, and everyone presses t and they all lock on the purple glowing person. Due to everyone having a different brightness pattern, they could add the target system.

You know what they say, you let someone in halfway the door, they going to be very secretive and put stuff not in the API or whatever you call that addon program but not tell anyone about it.

How good is ESO security at preventing people from using addons that give them extreme advantages against others like being able to quickly target any person.

In 50v50 battles like you mentioned, theres a lot of people, animations, and objects that get in the way, its not as easy as you make it sound, but if there was a program/addon that made everyone synchronize there target like in GW2, Everquest, etc. than they clearly have an extreme advantage.

Clearly, some people using hidden addons is just unfair. Makes me think of someone using automated targeting in FPS games, or wall hack.
    Addons is just a friendlier term for botting, hacking, etc. because addon alters your game, just like how botting and hacking does the same factor.

How is it botting? That addon you goto the bank and it automatically sorts items. That's botting, a friendly version.
    How is it hacking? That addon that shows you the dps heals etc. scrolling down your screen, you hacked and changed the game.

Wouldn't be surpised if some people had targeting addon, but not available to public.
    If some people had a resource finder addon, but not available to public.
    Clearly advantage to them and disadvantage to the public.
    Anyways, ESO SHOULD HAVE ALREADY IMPLEMENTED a targeting system.
    Everquest a 15 year old game has it, GW2 has it, pretty sure WoW has it.

u can't change what's not there. do you know how the add-on API works?

go ahead. read up on it before posting stuff like this.
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • Poxheart
    Poxheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This game is better w/o a targeting system. If one were added the game would be worse than it already it is.

Pox Dragon Knight
    Poxheart Nightblade
    Knights of the WhiteWolf
  • Snit
    Snit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP,

If you're serious about PvP, seek out and join one of the guilds that focuses on Cyrodiil. It's an entirely different game than you're seeing when running with pickup groups formed in /z. You will also see how targets are selected, and you'll understand why those pickup groups get steamrolled so easily.

Addons are not involved.
    Snit AD Sorc
    Ratbag AD Warden Tank
    Goblins AD Stamblade

• qsnoopyjr
    qsnoopyjr
    ✭✭✭✭
    This game is better w/o a targeting system. If one were added the game would be worse than it already it is.

Why is that?
    Those VIP club people using all the VIP addons not available to the public wont have that much of an advantage over others anymore? The VIP club wont be so VIP anymore because theres no more extremely advantageous over others addons only available to VIP members due to the game making it publicly available itself.

It would make people target down people and teach people to coordinate and order of people to attack?

Oh ya, it would be a bane, it would make newbs a lot more coordinated and difficult to kill. I understand your reason of not wanting this to be true.
    Snit wrote: »
    OP,

If you're serious about PvP, seek out and join one of the guilds that focuses on Cyrodiil. It's an entirely different game than you're seeing when running with pickup groups formed in /z. You will also see how targets are selected, and you'll understand why those pickup groups get steamrolled so easily.

Addons are not involved.

Oh, believe me I'm in 2 pvp guilds.
    They don't teach targeting people, they teach gather in a blob. cast AOEs all day long and win fights.

They don't run 12-15 people groups often they run 15-24 groups.

There is no targeting at all really, you just run cast AOES and stick with group.

Small scale pvp guilds? You don't see them too often. Everyone wants to be in big blobs.
    Only small scale pvp'ers I see are the ones that play with friends, and not necessarily a guild.

Like 8 man team, Hetick, tom hanks, etc. Highly doubt they a guild, its just a bunch of friends running around.

So don't be talking about, live is so much easier in a guild, and youll learn so much. Because its not true, well zerging life is easy, but you don't learn much than you would from a 1v1 or small scale fight.
    Edited by qsnoopyjr on May 25, 2015 9:43PM
  • Winnamine
    Winnamine
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why is that?
    Those VIP club people using all the VIP addons not available to the public wont have that much of an advantage over others anymore? The VIP club wont be so VIP anymore because theres no more extremely advantageous over others addons only available to VIP members due to the game making it publicly available itself.

It would make people target down people and teach people to coordinate and order of people to attack?

Oh ya, it would be a bane, it would make newbs a lot more coordinated and difficult to kill. I understand your reason of not wanting this to be true.
    OP,

Addons are not involved.

They don't teach targeting people, they teach gather in a blob. cast AOEs all day long and win fights.

There is no targeting at all really, you just run cast AOES and stick with group.

Small scale pvp guilds? You don't see them too often. Everyone wants to be in big blobs.
    Only small scale pvp'ers I see are the ones that play with friends, and not necessarily a guild.

Like 8 man team, Hetick, tom hanks, etc. Highly doubt they a guild, its just a bunch of friends running around.

So don't be talking about, live is so much easier in a guild, and youll learn so much. Because its not true, well zerging life is easy, but you don't learn much than you would from a 1v1 or small scale fight.

I can't even right now :joy:
    Winni
    ~
    VE
    Decibel
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why is that?

OP,

Addons are not involved.

well i´m in a guild for the last 13 years wich is entirly dedicated to smallscale pvp - so yes these guilds are out there, and after that much time playing together you are blindly assisting each other without any addons or -> hacks (wich would be required in this game to achieve what you are looking for).
    an easy start would be to assign someone of your group to be the targetcaller marking the target with one of the very optical debuffs like potl(templar), mark(nb), or to a lesser obvious debuff quick siphon(resto staff) weakness to elements (destro staff).
    spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• Poxheart
    Poxheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    QQsnoopyjr your gaming experience would be so much worse if this game had a call target system because those groups you're complaining about now would be even more effective than they are now.

Pox Dragon Knight
    Poxheart Nightblade
    Knights of the WhiteWolf
  • Teargrants
    Teargrants
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Winnamine wrote: »

Why is that?

OP,

Addons are not involved.

I can't even right now :joy:
    But it's true, we just have more friends than most people.
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
    EP ※ Teargrants ※
    EP ※ Kissgrants ※
    DC ※ Kirsi ※
    Vehemence Council
    #JustOutOfRenderRange
    ~Teargrants YouTube~
    ┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴