The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Do racials make a big difference?

• Bromburak
    Bromburak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    klopferian wrote: »

Absolutely nothing. Play the character that you want to play.

This is one of the worst advices for players that are trying to get the best out of their class.

Its like "No problem, you can trust the out of the box game design balance, its all good".

The reality is, its never have been this way in any game.
    There is no reason to ignore facts and numbers that are confirmed by many tests for certain roles and situations.
  • SanderBuraas
    SanderBuraas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Redguard Sorcerer is max level, and manages very well in both pvp and pve, simply due to the fact that I know what I am doing. Racial passives make the same amount of difference as champion points - however, these make less of a difference in this game as player skill is the most important.

If character appearance is important to you, as it is to me, select a race that you want. If it is not, choosing a race that synergizes with your build will provide you with a small advantage, though keep in mind that player skill is the most important in every aspect of the game.
  • Most_Awesome
    Most_Awesome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just an example Breton+Altmer will always do more healing and magica based damage than a Bosmer,Redguard,Imperial, which intern will always do more stamina based weapon damage.

Yes you can run what ever Race you want, just like you can run any build to lv1-50 but once you get to Vet ranks if you actually care about being the best you can be then races DO matter no questions asked.
  • Zanen
    Zanen
    ✭✭✭
    Smepic wrote: »
    My Redguard Sorcerer is max level, and manages very well in both pvp and pve, simply due to the fact that I know what I am doing. Racial passives make the same amount of difference as champion points - however, these make less of a difference in this game as player skill is the most important.

If character appearance is important to you, as it is to me, select a race that you want. If it is not, choosing a race that synergizes with your build will provide you with a small advantage, though keep in mind that player skill is the most important in every aspect of the game.

Champion points?

with 25% more damage dealt, 25% less damage taken, and another couple dozen buffs and passives of similar magnitude you're not talking about a competitive fight anymore.

Skill matters, but given players and builds that are in the same ballpark a, say, 5% advantage to damage and mitigation isn't a 5% effect on outcome it's very near 100%.

Racials matter if you care about anything competitive. Sure you can do fine in PVE and PVP with just about any build because PVE is faceroll and a significant percentage of players are too and mostly pvp is a group activity, but when you run into a 1v1 with somebody who's optimized when you're not?

They matter.

• amm7sb14_ESO
    amm7sb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So let's say I want to be a Nightblade.

I want to be a magicka / health build Nightblade that dual wields.

I want to focus on my magicka abilities that regain and boost health so that I can tank and damage, and also use a secondary loadout for healing and buffing.

I could play a Breton Nightblade and take those racial bonuses that add to magicka pool and regeneration, or I can play Redguard and have a more preferable aesthetic appearance and preferable "feel" for my roleplay, yet sacrifice the magicka boosts in the process.

Will the lack of magicka racial bonuses be noticeable with the Redguard? Is the Breton the far and away better version of this build? Or is the advantage only slight?

I am focused more on having fun questing and PVP'ing with friends than I am making sure I min/max to be the best at playing the #'s game, BUT I would like to be capable in group dungeon raids and PVP.
  • BuggeX
    BuggeX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zanen wrote: »
    Smepic wrote: »

Champion points?

with 25% more damage dealt, 25% less damage taken, and another couple dozen buffs and passives of similar magnitude you're not talking about a competitive fight anymore.

Skill matters, but given players and builds that are in the same ballpark a, say, 5% advantage to damage and mitigation isn't a 5% effect on outcome it's very near 100%.

Racials matter if you care about anything competitive. Sure you can do fine in PVE and PVP with just about any build because PVE is faceroll and a significant percentage of players are too and mostly pvp is a group activity, but when you run into a 1v1 with somebody who's optimized when you're not?

They matter.

My imperial Magicka DK rarly lose a fight 1v1 vs knowed high rank players
    #makemagickadkgreataigan
    #givemeaexecute
    #ineedheal
    #betterhotfixgrindspots
  • Seth_Black
    Seth_Black
    ✭✭✭
    Yes - if you want to be a maniac adding all the numbers just to get best possible end result

No - if you want to just play and enjoy the game (you can clear all possible content as any class, any race)

Even in PvP it doesn't make such a difference since TTK is so short most of the time you don't even worry about this stuff.
    Everything is mostly based on your own SKILL, I've seen really skilled players running low end gear and owning everyone anyway. If you're good even elitists will be afraid ;)
    Out of the night that covers me, Black as the pit from pole to pole, I thank whatever gods may be For my unconquerable soul.
    It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll, I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul
  • Bromburak
    Bromburak
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I am focused more on having fun questing and PVP'ing with friends than I am making sure I min/max to be the best at playing the #'s game, BUT I would like to be capable in group dungeon raids and PVP.

You are capable but most random groups will not accept "under performing" builds.
    Thats because most of them usually don't play together and don't know what to expect.
    As well they have no discipline and lack of skill.

Randoms can be fun but they are not reliable as a team.

Stick with friends or find a matching guild with focus on team spirit , trying new synergies etc..
    Good guilds or main groups know what to expect and how to balance weak factors no worries.
    Edited by Bromburak on July 2, 2015 9:07AM
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Racial passives don't matter untill you hit group content, and wish to join other teams. You will quickly hit a wall, learning that some player that doesn't play nearly as good as you - but has the right passives - can be more beneficial in a group than you can. So ask yourself if you wish to do good enough in the future, or do you wish to do great. All endgame content is group content.

• bertenburnyb16_ESO
    bertenburnyb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    well argonian doesnt have the best passives (worst actually xd) but except if your a min maxer its nothing gamebreaking, my templar argonian is doing just fine healing endgame stuff or doing pvp
    what is strange though, DK healer...
    DK is probably the last class u wanne pick as healer, hes good at dps or tanking, but healing (only one class skill morph really benenfits his healing and for the rest has to rely fully on resto staff)
    if u wanne go healer Templar is prolly yhe class for u
    Haze Ramoran Dunmer Dragonknight Tank/Dps – Smoked-Da-Herb Saxheel Templar Tank/Healer

Red Diamond, Protect us 'til the end (EU EP Thorn)
  • Johngo0036
    Johngo0036
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So Argonian Dk Healer...bad...

You can make ANY combination work,

It may not be a min/max build but will be more than doable
    PC EU Megaserver
    @Johngo0036
    CP900+
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer |The-Irritable-Witch(DC)
    Orc Stamina Dragonknight | Gru-Bolar(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Nightblade | Chewbucca(DC)
    Khajit Stamina Nightblade | Gleaming Daggers(DC)
    Altmer Magicka Nightblade | Miss Chewbucca(EP)
    Argonian Magicka Templar | Walks-With-Friends(EP)
    Argonian Templar Healer | Dr Toxic(EP)
    Orc Stamina Sorc | Lady Streaks-Alot(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka DK | Whips-n-Chains(DC)
    Nord Warden | Demi Tank(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Warden | Crafter-O-Crafts(DC)
    Bosmer Stamplar | Forest-Plump(DC)
    Argonian Hybrid Nb | Men-O-Paws(DC)
    Bosmer Stamblade | 'Maui(AD)
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | Mid-Life-Crisis(AD)

• Morvul
    Morvul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    perfect racials versus worst possible racials is a difference of roughly 10% performance for most roles.
    only you can answer how much you want to give up for the luxury of playing the race you want to play.

personally, I am very happy with my orc magica sorc. but that does not change the fact that an equally skilled player with an altmer sorc is noticeable better
  • Darkeus
    Darkeus
    ✭✭✭
    ofc racials matters, you cant compare imperial stamina build vs breton or altmer stamina... best combination vs worst combination have a big impact ~15% imo
  • Zanen
    Zanen
    ✭✭✭
    BuggeX wrote: »

My imperial Magicka DK rarly lose a fight 1v1 vs knowed high rank players

Imperial isn't a bad race for any build, the stat bonuses and current meta favoring some health investment and the ability to CC break twice result in optimized magicka Imperials having the same amount of magicka as Bretons. DKs in particular because they have a lot of melee attacks even as magicka.

If you were a redguard staff user, or an altmer stamina build you'd be at a disadvantage.

Edited by Zanen on July 2, 2015 2:24PM