The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The Barber Shop is done. The Ignored Community Input is Here:

Gidorick
Gidorick
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Update: So, after year of discussion and suggestions ZOS released the "Style Parlor" and they flat out ignored everything discussed in this entire thread... oh well, original post below.

OP
So, we have been told multiple times that the Barber Shop is currently being worked on. (YAY!!!)
MissBizz wrote: »
On the last ESO live they stated this is something they are working on and would like to get in game ;) They didn't forget, don't worry!
Yep, this is correct! We don't have an ETA for it yet, but it is being worked on. :)

It would be great for ZOS to take in Community Input regarding the barber shop mechanic in ESO. There are SO many ways this can be done. I will post my ideas here and please post your ideas below so ZOS has a thread with what the community expects to see out of a Barber Shop in ESO.

ESO Barber Shop Mechanic:
The ESO Barber Shop should consist of Immersion Additions, Lore/Quest Expansion, Gold Sink, and Crown Store mechanics. There is so much more that can be added then simply making hairstyles act like costumes for your head. Making the system more robust will result in greater immersion and greater profit for ZOS.

Immersion Additions:
Tamriel should have established Barber Shops inside buildings in large cities as well as Barber Shop carts in smaller cities and around the wilderness. At least one Barber Shop should exist in each Zone. The Barber Chair could act very much like crafting where players select the chair, then see their character sit down with the NPC going through some “hair-cutting” animations.

This would function similarly to how GTA5 handles their Barber Mechanic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upyFS8Lgdi4

Lore/Questing Expansion:
It would be awesome if the Barber Shops were a product of a Tonsors Guild. (NOTE: Tonsor is an archaic word for Barber) It wouldn’t have to be a guild that the players could join, but occasionally players could be given quests from the Tonsors Guild to collect hair samples or to try out some outlandish hairstyle that could have the player walking around the town, talking to different NPCs to get their “opinion” on the hairstyle and returning to the Tonsor with the general consensus.

The basic idea is that the Barber Shops don’t just have to be a place to get hair done, they can provide players with continued gameplay opportunities. These quests could result in the player being rewarded some new Hair Styles that aren't available in the Crown Store.

Gold Sink:
When in the Barber Chair, players should be able to select any of the following for in-game gold (Prices are provided as examples)
  • 1000 Gold - Change Hairstyle
  • 1500 Gold - Change Adornment
  • 2000 Gold - Change Hair color
  • 5000 Gold - Change Head/Body Marking
A fifth option should also be available
  • Crown Store - New Styles

As the player approves changes, the different changes tally up to a total. Once the player finishes making all their changes, they "check out" and their changes are applied.

Crown Store:
Inside the Crown Store, players should be able to buy the following for Crowns (Prices are provided as examples)
  • 400 Crowns - New Hair Styles (Each purchase includes the ability to change Hair Style one time, including Hair color)
  • 400 Crowns - New Adornments (Beard & Jewelry, each purchase includes the ability to change Adornments one time, including Hair Color)
  • 600 Crowns - New Body Markings (Each purchase includes the ability to change Body Markings one time)
  • 600 Crowns - New Head Markings (Each purchase includes the ability to change Head Markings one time)
  • 400 Crowns - 4 Pack Feature Change: 4 pack (Each purchase give the player 4 tokens. Each token allows the player to change one feature)
  • 1000 Crowns - Character Alteration Token (Allows players to re-enter the Body & Face portions of the Character Creation system. It includes the ability to change hairstyle, adornment, hair color, body markings and head markings.)

Overview:
Adding these systems would enable new players to use a part of the Barber Shop system while getting them used to the idea of changing their hair regularly. This will lead to players buying new hair styles and body markings. The Body Marking and Head markings COULD be added to the Barber Shop for gold, but within the context of a Barber Shop I’m not sure it wouldn’t make much sense.

Any thoughts on these concepts or do you have a different idea of how this should work.
What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
That's right... Horse.
Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm up for this. And I'll add my wish list:

- More beards, including full beards, scruffy beards, tied/dyed/wild beards, and more than one obi-wan look.
    - More haircuts. Obviously. From bald to balding, thick and fruffy to frumpy.
    - More tattoos. Let me put as amny tattoos as I want, including overlapping them and/or removing them.
    - Paint. Like a tattoo, only colorful.
    - Scars, scratches, dirt and burns.

In the end, I want to make a nord look like a reachman, or an imperial look like cesar, or anywhere in between.
    Ruze Aulus. Mayor of Dhalmora. Archer, hunter, assassin. Nightblade.
    Gral. Mountain Terror. Barbarian, marauder, murderer. Nightblade.
    Na'Djin. Knight-Blade. Knight, vanguard, defender. Nightblade.

XBOX NA
    Ruze is a veteran of the PC Beta, lived through the year one drought, survived the buy-to-play conversion, and has stepped foot in the hells known as Craglorn. He mained a nightlbade when nightblades weren't good, and has never worn a robe. He converted from PC during the console betas, and hasn't regretted it a moment since.

He'd rank ESO:TU (in it's current state) a 4.8 out of 5, loving the game almost entirely.

This is an multiplayer game. I should be able to log in, join a dungeon, join a battleground, queue for a dolmen or world boss or delve, teleport in, play for 20 minutes, and not worry about getting kicked, failing to join, having perfect voice coms, or being unable to complete content because someone's lagging behind. Group Finder and matchmaking is broken. Take a note from Destiny and build a system that allows from drop-in/drop-out functionality and quick play.
  • Taz
    Taz
    ✭✭✭
    I like this idea.

While they're at it, they should also totally add in a way to preview armors in-game too, like you can preview costumes in the crown shop. You know, so you make sure you're appropriately fashionable.
  • bellanca6561n
    bellanca6561n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done and splendidly laid out!

The prices...well.... :s

One of the adornments I regularly use is the subtle one that makes your character look like she's wearing eye shadow...first notch as I recall.

Love the reference to Tonsorial but I'm a nut for that kind of thing.

And the first surgeons were also called barbers.

Back to the subject, I would prefer that hairstyles be like costumes that you could purchase and put into your Collectible inventory. But your scheme is more comprehensive by far.
    Edited by bellanca6561n on April 17, 2015 12:20AM
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done and splendidly laid out!

The prices...well.... :s

One of the adornments I regularly use is the subtle one that makes your character look like she's wearing eye shadow...first notch as I recall.

Love the reference to Tonsorial but I'm a nut for that kind of thing.

And the first surgeons were also called barbers.

Back to the subject, I would prefer that hairstyles be like costumes that you could purchase and put into your Collectible inventory. But your scheme is more comprehensive by far.

lol. I had no idea surgeons were called barbers... wait, is the red in the red and white pole BLOOD?!?!?

Anyway... What I really DON'T want is hairstyles to be added like costumes and for that to be the end of it. Sure, it would function but the ESO experience really should be more than that. It should be immersive. I would actually prefer all crown store items be purchasable through merchants, but I understand the need to have the Cash Shop available 100% of the time.

Using this thought process and your input I have added the ability to change hairstyle & adornment one time when Hairstyles or Adornments are bought from the Crown Store. Thanks for the input!

Would you be against a "Barber-on-call" Token from the Crown Store? Where you pay 200 Crowns and you can change your hairstyle, adornment, or hair color anywhere you are.
    Edited by Gidorick on April 17, 2015 12:36AM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• WhimsyDragon
    WhimsyDragon
    ✭✭✭
    Most folks seem to be in agreement that ideally, the basics (changing hair style / color) should be in game gold services while full modifications makes more sense as a Crown Store offering. Beyond that, I'd absolutely love to see more hairstyles and options. The problem with most of the female styles is that either they're too short for my tastes (and look gnawed off at the bottom) or they're long in the back but really unattractive in the front for lack of nice hairlines (pulled back tightly is simply not flattering! framing the face in some way, such as soft wisps or parted/sideswept bangs, is much better!)
  • Zershar_Vemod
    Zershar_Vemod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything should be available in both Gold and Crowns (IF crown store has to be forced on us once more).
    House Nyssara (NA)
    Black Market Traders
    Order of the Lamp Post
    Thorn Brigade
    VR15 Nightblade Vampire
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything should be available in both Gold and Crowns (IF crown store has to be forced on us once more).

So a "Barber-on-call" Token from the Crown Store? Where you pay 200 Crowns and you can change your hairstyle, adornment, or hair color anywhere?

I honestly don't expect new hairstyles to be offered for in-game gold. It would be nice... but I really don't think that's going to happen.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »
    So, we have been told multiple times that the Barber Shop is currently being worked on. (YAY!!!)
    On the last ESO live they stated this is something they are working on and would like to get in game ;) They didn't forget, don't worry!
    Yep, this is correct! We don't have an ETA for it yet, but it is being worked on. :)

It would be great for ZOS to take in Community Input regarding the barber shop mechanic in ESO. There are SO many ways this can be done. I will post my ideas here and please post your ideas below so ZOS has a thread with what the community expects to see out of a Barber Shop in ESO.

The ESO Barber Shop should consist of Immersion Additions, Lore Expansion, Gold Sink, and Crown Store mechanics. There is so much more that can be added then simply making hairstyles act like costumes for your head. Making the system more robust will result in greater immersion and greater profit for ZOS.

Immersion Additions:
    Tamriel should have established Barber Shops inside buildings in large cities as well as Barber Shop carts in smaller cities and around the wilderness. At least one Barber Shop should exist in each Zone. The Barber Chair could act very much like crafting where players select the chair, then see their character sit down with the NPC going through some “hair-cutting” animations.

Lore Expansion:
    It would be awesome if the Barber Shops were a product of a Tonsors Guild. (NOTE: Tonsor is an archaic word for Barber) It wouldn’t have to be a guild that the players could join, but occasionally players could be given quests from the Tonsors Guild to collect hair samples or to try out some outlandish hairstyle that could have the player walking around the town, talking to different NPCs to get their “opinion” on the hairstyle and returning to the Tonsor with the general consensus.

The basic idea is that the Barber Shops don’t just have to be a place to get hair done, they can provide players with continued gameplay opportunities.

Gold Sink:
    When in the Barber Chair, players should be able to select one of the following for in-game gold (Prices are provided as examples)
    A fourth option should also be available

Crown Store:
    Inside the Crown Store, players should be able to buy the following for Crowns (Prices are provided as examples)
    • 400 Crowns - New Hair Styles (Each purchase includes the ability to change Hair Style one time, including Hair color)
    • 400 Crowns - New Adornments (Beard & Jewelry, each purchase includes the ability to change Adornments one time, including Hair Color)
    • 600 Crowns - New Body Markings (Each purchase includes the ability to change Body Markings one time)
    • 600 Crowns - New Head Markings (Each purchase includes the ability to change Head Markings one time)
    • 1000 Crowns - Character Alteration Token (Allows players to re-enter the Body & Face portions of the Character Creation system. It includes the ability to change hairstyle, adornment, hair color, body markings and head markings.)

Overview:
    Adding these systems would enable new players to use a part of the Barber Shop system while getting them used to the idea of changing their hair regularly. This will lead to players buying new hair styles and body markings. The Body Marking and Head markings COULD be added to the Barber Shop for gold, but within the context of a Barber Shop I’m not sure it wouldn’t make much sense.

Any thoughts on these concepts or do you have a different idea of how this should work.

I would be very angry if they use the crown shop for new styles and body options. The look of our chars is extremely important, gating it behind a pay wall is wrong.

The barber should work for gold and be implemented in a quest chain, leave the crown store out of this please.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Audigy wrote: »

The ESO Barber Shop should consist of Immersion Additions, Lore Expansion, Gold Sink, and Crown Store mechanics. There is so much more that can be added then simply making hairstyles act like costumes for your head. Making the system more robust will result in greater immersion and greater profit for ZOS.

Immersion Additions:

Lore Expansion:

The basic idea is that the Barber Shops don’t just have to be a place to get hair done, they can provide players with continued gameplay opportunities.

Gold Sink:
    When in the Barber Chair, players should be able to select one of the following for in-game gold (Prices are provided as examples)
    A fourth option should also be available

Crown Store:

Overview:

I would be very angry if they use the crown shop for new styles and body options. The look of our chars is extremely important, gating it behind a pay wall is wrong.

The barber should work for gold and be implemented in a quest chain, leave the crown store out of this please.

While I am sympathetic to this view point, and I don't disagree with the philosophy behind it, we are in a different environment now. ZOS needs to make money and by suggesting that they implement a system as robust as a barber shop with absolutely no way to generate revenue from it I think we are doing a disservice to ZOS, and ultimately, ESO.

Now, in my suggestion all the hairstyles, Adornments, and markings that are available in Character Creation would be available to change in the barber shop with gold. So players would have options without paying one single Crown.

Perhaps we could ask that there be a few hairstyles available through questing in the Lore Expansion section... which I'll rename to Lore/Quest Expansion.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to see a general rule:

Find the most lore-friendly, in-character and sought after tattoos, hair designs, colors and whatnot, and give them to players for mastering complex challenges and achievements.

Then, anything which is slightly out of character, silly, or almost as popular, and lock it behind a pay-wall.

I don't mind blue hair, but I'd feel much better about myself if salt and pepper full braided beard with a dragon tattoo's over my eye would be unlocked via playing the game. And the blue anime hairstyle would be unlocked, rather expensively, by someone spending their real money.

A little balance.
    Ruze Aulus. Mayor of Dhalmora. Archer, hunter, assassin. Nightblade.
    Gral. Mountain Terror. Barbarian, marauder, murderer. Nightblade.
    Na'Djin. Knight-Blade. Knight, vanguard, defender. Nightblade.

XBOX NA
    Ruze is a veteran of the PC Beta, lived through the year one drought, survived the buy-to-play conversion, and has stepped foot in the hells known as Craglorn. He mained a nightlbade when nightblades weren't good, and has never worn a robe. He converted from PC during the console betas, and hasn't regretted it a moment since.

He'd rank ESO:TU (in it's current state) a 4.8 out of 5, loving the game almost entirely.

This is an multiplayer game. I should be able to log in, join a dungeon, join a battleground, queue for a dolmen or world boss or delve, teleport in, play for 20 minutes, and not worry about getting kicked, failing to join, having perfect voice coms, or being unable to complete content because someone's lagging behind. Group Finder and matchmaking is broken. Take a note from Destiny and build a system that allows from drop-in/drop-out functionality and quick play.
  • Revenant_Spartan
    Revenant_Spartan
    ✭✭✭
    I think it should work more like Rift's barber shop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE8VS2bo0E4

Everything can be changed either for gold or crowns. The only exception is face shape/changes to the facial features, height and race can only be done with crowns as they really are beyond simple cosmetic changes. The skinny/fat/muscle and age should not need crowns as anyone can lose or gain weight or get old/use some hoodoovoodoo facecream :P

And you pay small amounts for each thing you change. So if you only change 1 small thing it costs less than a person changing a bit of everything. Then you can buy more hairstyles/facial hair, colours and tattooes for crowns in packs.

And no silly stuff - really. No bloody Goku/DragonBallZ/Emo/Modern styles. If you can't see it working in a show like Vikings the door is that way -> GTFO
  • zzz
    zzz
    ✭✭✭
    Excited for this addition. Two things I'd add:

Please don't call it a barber shop - barbers cut men's hair! Hairdresser is a more unisex name, albeit not quite as refined sounding as a barer. There's got to be a better than than either of those two.
    Crown Store:

With regard to the above, you should be able to preview all changes before purchasing them, even changes only available through Crown Points (slider changes, new styles, new adornments - the lot). To have to buy something to try it when you may not like it isn't cool.

Oh, a third thing. A funny easter egg would be if showracemenu brought up the ui for all this stuff =D

• NadiusMaximus
    NadiusMaximus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will they offer other services?

I see a few Kahjiit that could use a waxing.

#mrbiggelsworth
    Edited by NadiusMaximus on April 17, 2015 12:10PM
  • P3ZZL3
    P3ZZL3
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be the devil and throw it out there.

Whilst I DO NOT agree with adding it all to the Crown Store, I would like to revert back to the Token System.

Something should be in place so it IS capable for users who wish NOT to spend real world $$$'s for Character changes/barber shop.
    CP561 Redguard | Jabsy Templar | Stamina Build
    CP561 Breton | Jesus Beam Templar | Magicka Build Forever!
    CP561 Naked Nord | Tanky DK | Stamigicka Build

✭✭✭ Check ESO Server Status Live!: http://eso.webhub.eu/ ✭✭✭
  • skarvika
    skarvika
    ✭✭✭✭
    More hairstyles definitely. I'd pay crowns for some proper long hairstyles. I always give my dudes long hair for a sort of rugged classic warrior type look, but in ESO the only long hair styles are a ponytail, greasy metalhead and extreme jerry curl.
    IF I WANT TO LOOK LIKE FABIO I SHOULD BE ABLE TO LOOK LIKE FABIO DANGIT
    QQing is a full time job
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree @zzz. I don't care for the term 'Barber' either. That's why I included the idea of the Tonser. Something a little more 'medieval' than barber would be preferable.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• rayeab16_ESO
    rayeab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    how about the ability to *layer* tats and scars?

everyone could start out with 2 (layers) and you could by another layer (for certain areas) for crowns.
    i thought about layering because they have the perfect neck/shoulder scar (its a rather ragged bite mark that could have come from ether a speedy were or a rough vampire playing with their food and going *faceshake* with you when they bite) but it cannot be layer'd with other chest based tats or scars.

also, i agree on the long hair options. i wanted long hair for my nord girl but settled for the one that looks like she has a casti wedding facecover on her forhead.

styles and colours... well it makes sence to keep the traditional and lore friendly stuff for gold in game.
    but it shouldnt cost an especialy huge amount to have something daft for crowns, same with modern stuff.
    for those who cant stand looking at mohawk goku #545, we need a toggle that you hit in the settings 'show/hide other player headgear' lets you see yourself's headgear but turns everyone else to whatever headgear they actualy have on (armour wise i mean)
    for those who would rather have a costume style? its better to have it as a wig. wigs have been around for thousands of years *points to the bald rich folks in the pyramids* so you cant say that they arent historical lol.
    would also mean you could wear a head costume (wig) while still wearing a normal costume. but a magical transform disguse trumps that (so ya dont get skeletons with french empress style wigs lol)

you could then get costume stuff for face, body and head from the thiefs guild folks and morag tong (if they ever get around to them) for things like eye patches, fake face scars and pox marks (for when you are faking being a pox ridden vagrant who likes to pass out in a pool of their own secretions, ready to jump up and assassinate or rob someone for a quest lol)
    and dont forget the fake belly paunch (that you can stash stolen goods in for when you are stall-lifting..the precursor to shop-lifting lol) it can be used by women aswell as men to steal things and hide
    (while we *have* no kids in the game, who would look twice at a woman with a fat belly who acts like she is with child, walking slowly while everyone else freaks because the royal crowns gone. who would think it was there *winks* hehe)
  • Heromofo
    Heromofo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be mindful of pricing because some people go way to far with prices.

Recommended no more than a total of 1000 crowns for the lot.
  • ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While a cash cow for ZOS, I would be against monetizing every single element of appearance. Pay a flat rate and just get taken to character creation screen to change anything/everything you want. Done and simple. Why make it more convoluted and costly?

Other than that, I would like to see layering of adornments, tattoos, facial hair, etc, as well as a wider variety of those things (lore friendly of course).
    Edited by ThatNeonZebraAgain on April 17, 2015 3:32PM
    Gore-of-the-Forest Argonian Nightblade
    Wode Earthrender Breton Dragonknight
    Ceol the Last Baron Redguard Dragonknight
    Wayra High Elf Sorceress
    Erebain Salothran Dark Elf Templar
    Rituals-of-the-Forest Argonian Warden
  • Adryssa_Joneley
    Adryssa_Joneley
    ✭✭✭
    Can you please include heaps of hairstyles to choose from.. especially long flowing hair and perhaps a few new colors to choose from as well. Will this all be available from the Crown Store or will you also allow to have the ability to chance your appearance and let it be part of the game instead of relying on Crown Store for every little addition or improvement? Maybe new hairstyles can be bought via crown, but please allow a player to change their toon's hair etc via in-game, purchased with in game money, not crowns. Just my two cents worth.
  • desciviib14_ESO
    desciviib14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I'm up for this. And I'll add my wish list:

- More beards, including full beards, scruffy beards, tied/dyed/wild beards, and more than one obi-wan look.
    - More haircuts. Obviously. From bald to balding, thick and fruffy to frumpy.
    - More tattoos. Let me put as amny tattoos as I want, including overlapping them and/or removing them.
    - Paint. Like a tattoo, only colorful.
    - Scars, scratches, dirt and burns.

In the end, I want to make a nord look like a reachman, or an imperial look like cesar, or anywhere in between.

^^^ This^^^^
    There is nothing here of interest to any nations; as a matter of fact, there is nothing here but people.
  • Psychobunni
    Psychobunni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as hairstyle/adornment is in game simply for gold (as many other mmo's), I don't care what they charge crowns for.

Although I would personally pay to shrink ones feet that I forgot, another's face is too round....I'd pay for a one hour crack at character creation to fix odds and ends, but I won't pay crowns to fix 1 item on this toon, crowns for 1 item on that, etc
    If options weren't necessary, and everyone played the same way, no one would use addons. Fix the UI!

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why does this have to be behind a Gold Sink? We don't pay for the appearance of our character when we make them, but the screen we make them in results in a character that looks different in the game.

Put a cool down on it, sure, but I would rather not be charged for something that I need to do because of how the game makes my character look in the creation screen vs in game.

Paying real life money? Absolutely not. I will keep a helmet on my characters before I do that.
    Edited by Nestor on April 17, 2015 3:39PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While a cash cow for ZOS, I would be against monetizing every single element of appearance. Pay a flat rate and just get taken to character creation screen to change anything/everything you want. Done and simple. Why make it more convoluted and costly?

Other than that, I would like to see layering of adornments, tattoos, facial hair, etc, as well as a wider variety of those things (lore friendly of course).

Your point is valid but for me, personally, the immersive in-world part of a barber shop is vital to getting me to use it.

If the barber shop is just 'character creation tokens' and "hairstyle costumes" I will not use them. Having in-world mechanics for these functions makes it so the Crown Shop serves ESO... not the other way around. The more they can incorporate into the mechanics of the game, the better. It's also a great way to lead players to the purchases Without system messages advertising that pets are available.

Edited by Gidorick on April 17, 2015 3:50PM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the exception of changing my race, there's one character I have I would like to change ALOT of things about. I hope we can pretty much change everything. Height, weight, skin tone color, hair styles, tattoos etc.
    NA Server - Kildair
  • ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Your point is valid but for me, personally, the immersive in-world part of a barber shop is vital to getting me to use it.

If the barber shop is just 'character creation tokens' and "hairstyle costumes" I will not use them. Having in-world mechanics for these functions makes it so the Crown Shop serves ESO... not the other way around. The more they can incorporate pitches into the mechanics of the game, the better. It's also a great way to lead players to the purchases Without system messages advertising that pets are available.

I hate token systems as well, and I completely agree with tying new systems to the game world (I had a similar suggestion for the "token" system people advocate for Undaunted Pledge rewards). If the game hadn't gone B2P/Crown Store, I would be right there with you pushing for tying cosmetic changes to quests and such, but I think it is highly unlikely they would devote the time, money, and energy to making a whole new system given how strapped ZOS seems to be. What I was trying to say was that this can be much simpler and less costly (real money wise) than what you outlined, but still be incorporated in some way to the game world. For example, you would actually purchase a "quest" from the Store, which leads you to a seedy shaman who is able to change your appearance. The shaman has you lie on the ground, fill the room with hazy mist, and then an interface like the character creation screen is brought up. This way you can see all the changes next to one another, change anything/everything you like, all for the same price. Monetizing each new adornment or hairstyle would just be too much IMO. It would all just be included in this appearance change and at original character creation screen.
    Edited by ThatNeonZebraAgain on April 17, 2015 4:03PM
    Gore-of-the-Forest Argonian Nightblade
    Wode Earthrender Breton Dragonknight
    Ceol the Last Baron Redguard Dragonknight
    Wayra High Elf Sorceress
    Erebain Salothran Dark Elf Templar
    Rituals-of-the-Forest Argonian Warden
  • Imryll
    Imryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that head and body markings should be handled like hairstyles, not crown store exclusives. I'm all right with markings not currently being in the game being crown store purchases, but you should be able to add/remove/change existing markings using in-game gold. I also think that they should be priced the same as hairstyles. I think it could be fun to add a scar after a major fight, but then have it heal once a bit of time past, but only if pricing encouraged rather than discouraged temporary changes.

Also, once a player purchases a hairstyle or marking from the crown store, it should be available to all characters on their account for gold.

In addition I'd like for barbers to act as plastic surgeons, allowing players to make additional changes to characters' bodies and faces. Things like adding/losing weight, acquiring a tan, or having a nose job.

• Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The thing I don't like about having to pay crowns to enter the character editor is what happens when all you want to change is say, the size of your character's ears?

Paying a large amount of crowns to make one minor alteration is going to feel like a huge ripoff. That's why I think it should have an in game gold option. Paying say, 50k gold to a face sculptor to enter the editor and make small alterations like that is much more preferable. Having a token in the crown store for it as well is fine. Just let us be able to use gold as an alternative.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • Heruthema
    Heruthema
    ✭✭✭✭
    What I do not understand and maybe someone can explain it is why is everybody on a 'pay to change your looks' kick? Why is this not a 'free to change' item. What is the hesitation in allowing me to change the looks of MY character? The preview in the setup does not do justice to the actual end result.
    Why should I be limited to either rolling a new character or living with mistakes? How does the ability to change appearance have an effect on anyone else in the game? Most of the time when you create a character you can not get a good feel for their appearance until you have played them for a while. Do the features work with the armor or does the voice fit, etc?
    This should be a free option given to users.
    How do my character decisions change anything for anyone else in the game?
  • PoisonedPaint
    PoisonedPaint
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely no outrageous crazy anime hair colors or hairs. ><That would seriously be beyond immersion breaking for me and many others Im sure. If people want that, they should find a game that has it, not expect it to be thrown into a game that has an established style in itself. Even if its crownstore exclusive--stuff like that shoudn't exist in this game at all.
    Edited by PoisonedPaint on April 17, 2015 4:59PM
    @PoisonedPaint - RPers, feel free to add! I'm on NA, EST Zone. Has odd playtimes.

Main Character: Bjorn the Half-Blood - Half Imperial/Nord. Carrd RP Profile Link