The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What about making dyes purchaseable with crowns?

• jkemmery
    jkemmery
    ✭✭✭✭
    As an alternative, since OP wants the colors for Role Playing, what about a Role Playing instance or area of the game? Where Role Players can go, and dye their outfits any color they like, and not be bothered with the jackasses who like to harass them. In the rest of the world the dyes they use there won't show up. Would that be a fair solution?
  • ShadowHvo
    ShadowHvo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alphashado wrote: »
    Trivialize another thing that used to require some effort. Yeah. Ok.

It is becoming very clear to me now. All of the people that complain about the subscription model aren't really opposed to paying $15 a month. They are opposed to effort. I'm beginning to believe it has nothing to do with money and everything to do with getting everything in the game w/o earning it.

Every thread like this just pushes me an inch closer to the uninstall button.

Or you know, maybe because you don't want to spend 16 hours in Cyrodiil every day for an entire year in order to get a single dye?

I love the subscription model, and I love a good challenge, but grind does not equal challenge or hard content, a grind is a grind, a tedious concept which is made for MMO's to force players through content before they can get to the bits they actually prefer.

This is not asking for achievements, achievement points, gear, benefits, experience bonuses OR anything, it is asking for the possibility of buying a -colour- for an overpriced price, so you wouldn't have to drag yourself through a tedious grind in order to get ONE thing you really need in order to make your perfect roleplaying outfit.
    Edited by ShadowHvo on April 16, 2015 1:22PM
    Nighren - The Shadow Striker
    Leader of Bloodlines
    -- EU --

Want to roleplay in elder scrolls online? Check out eso-rp.com
  • MCMancub
    MCMancub
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the real question is whether or not it was right for them to have dyes be so unobtainable in the first place. Personally, the effort one has to go through to get dyes currently makes me entirely uninterested in them.

The whole point of dyes is to have customizable armor to set yourself apart from others and give your character a sense of personalization, but you find that a lot of these dyes are obtained once you are already set apart from others. Many people don't even attempt the achievements until they are strong enough to easily blow through them all. From the perspective of a low level player, people who already appear different (via high end gear) gain no new personalization through dyes. It's just another "I'm better than you", elitist mechanic that the old school subscribers are so afraid to lose.

It's not about effort, it's about availability. Dyes are almost entirely unavailable to low level players, giving them no option to personalize their character. The current system of having to complete different and challenging tasks to obtain something so trivial as character identification is horrible.

No one is asking that you be able to buy achievements, and rightly so. Achievements are what give your character a sense of accomplishment. Dyes should not do that. Dyes should be available to everyone, allowing all players to design their character how they want.

It is becoming very clear to me now. All of the people that complain about the subscription model aren't really opposed to paying $15 a month. They are opposed to effort. I'm beginning to believe it has nothing to do with money and everything to do with getting everything in the game w/o earning it.

Why should I have to earn how I want my character to look (obviously not referring to gear here)?
    Edited by MCMancub on April 16, 2015 1:27PM
  • Govalon
    Govalon
    ✭✭✭✭
    drackonir wrote: »
    you guys will be able to buy tiger mount, I for a change want to buy a rare dye.

Sounds perfectly fair to me. B)

NO. I wan't to pay 15 euros a month and deserve my mount by playing the game. I don't wan't to buy cool things, that is not fun. I wan't to PLAY THE GAME AND GET REWARDS FOR DOING SO.
    Edited by Govalon on April 16, 2015 1:28PM
  • MCMancub
    MCMancub
    ✭✭✭✭
    Govalon wrote: »
    you guys will be able to buy tiger mount, I for a change want to buy a rare dye.

NO. I wan't to pay 15 euros a month and deserve my mount by playing the game. I don't wan't to buy cool things, that is not fun. I wan't to PLAY THE GAME AND GET REWARDS FOR DOING SO.

It's fine if, to you, playing the game is grinding over and over again to obtain trivial "rewards", but the rest of us just want to enjoy the content.
    Edited by MCMancub on April 16, 2015 1:35PM
  • ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazingly well said.

However, like @MCMancub said, I also question why they are tied to achievements in the first place. I also think ZOS should somehow specify which dye colors are duplicates. We all know that many of the hues are the exact same, so it would be nice to know which ones we should focus on getting without tricking ourselves into thinking each color is indeed different.
    Edited by ThatNeonZebraAgain on April 16, 2015 1:35PM
    Gore-of-the-Forest Argonian Nightblade
    Wode Earthrender Breton Dragonknight
    Ceol the Last Baron Redguard Dragonknight
    Wayra High Elf Sorceress
    Erebain Salothran Dark Elf Templar
    Rituals-of-the-Forest Argonian Warden
  • Govalon
    Govalon
    ✭✭✭✭
    MCMancub wrote: »

It's fine if, to you, playing the game is grinding over and over again to obtain trivial "rewards", but for the rest of us we just want to enjoy the content.

Oh really? Who are the "rest of us"? To me it seems you are in the minority here. The rest of us wan't to play the game and get rewards for putting in effort, not buy the things that should be rewards for a good play.
    Edited by Govalon on April 16, 2015 1:35PM
  • EJRose83
    EJRose83
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would you suggest this? =/
    Edited by EJRose83 on April 16, 2015 1:38PM
    - Closed Beta Tester of the Psijic Order, aka the 0.016 percent =D
    - Xbox One Console Transferer
    - Gamer Tag: EJRose83
    - Previous LOTRO & SWTOR Player
  • jkemmery
    jkemmery
    ✭✭✭✭

Oh really? Who are the "rest of us"? To me it seems you are in the minority here. The rest of us wan't to play the game and get rewards for putting in effort, not buy the things that should be rewards for a good play.

Exactly! Well put!
  • gregaw_ESO
    There's always people like me. I work two jobs and have very little time, and I'd much rather spend what little time I have doing something fun in the game while looking good at the same time :smiley: If you don't want to pay for it then you don't have to.

It isn't pay to win.

It's funding the game we enjoy.

What is so bad about it?
  • MCMancub
    MCMancub
    ✭✭✭✭

It's fine if, to you, playing the game is grinding over and over again to obtain trivial "rewards", but for the rest of us we just want to enjoy the content.

If by "here" you mean the forums, home of the angry old school subscribers, then sure. I'm the minority. If you're talking about what the majority of the community wants, MMO after MMO shows time and again that casual players outnumber "hardcore" players almost exponentially. Your reward for playing the game is an achievement, and it should be. It should not be a dye. That's literally no different than ZOS not allowing you to customize your character's face/body type until you gain achievements. Surely you see how stupid this is.
  • jkemmery
    jkemmery
    ✭✭✭✭

If by "here" you mean the forums, home of the angry old school subscribers, then sure. I'm the minority. If you're talking about what the majority of the community wants, MMO after MMO shows time and again that casual players outnumber "hardcore" players almost exponentially. Your reward for playing the game is an achievement, and it should be. It should not be a dye. That's literally no different than ZOS not allowing you to customize your character's face/body type until you gain achievements. Surely you see how stupid this is.

Do you have any evidence that the "majority of the community" agrees with you, or is it just an assumption on your part?
  • MCMancub
    MCMancub
    ✭✭✭✭
    For the record, I'd be fine if they made achievements add effects to your health bar that other players see, like a gold trim (similar to how League of Legends handles ranks). I'm not opposed to getting rewards for hard work, but dyes SHOULD NOT be the reward.
  • MCMancub
    MCMancub
    ✭✭✭✭
    jkemmery wrote: »

Do you have any evidence that the "majority of the community" agrees with you, or is it just an assumption on your part?

If you really want me to, I can link you article after article showing that "hardcore" gamers (the ones who want every single element of the game to be obtained through months of grinding) are less than 10% of the entire MMO playerbase. There have been several released.
  • Alphashado
    Alphashado
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ShadowHvo wrote: »

Or you know, maybe because you don't want to spend 16 hours in Cyrodiil every day for an entire year in order to get a single dye?

I love the subscription model, and I love a good challenge, but grind does not equal challenge or hard content, a grind is a grind, a tedious concept which is made for MMO's to force players through content before they can get to the bits they actually prefer.

This is not asking for achievements, achievement points, gear, benefits, experience bonuses OR anything, it is asking for the possibility of buying a -colour- for an overpriced price, so you wouldn't have to drag yourself through a tedious grind in order to get ONE thing you really need in order to make your perfect roleplaying outfit.

I don't have every dye. In fact I only have about half of them. But I accept that because I haven't earned them.

There is something to be said about having things to strive for. Goals. Objectives. Accomplishments. Achievements.

All of those wonderful words and everything they represent are diminished when you can bypass the effort required to get them.
  • AngersRevenge
    AngersRevenge
    ✭✭✭
    NO... that is all
    A true warrior never reveals his heart. Until the axe rips it from his chest.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As the title says. As a roleplayer I would love to get the ability to flat out buy a dye which I need to make my perfect roleplaying outfit. The current problem with the system is that some of the dyes are so extremely hard to get for players who don't particularly take joy in certain activites.

My idea is merely that, when browsing the dyes it would be cool to be able to click a locked dye, and get the option to flat out buy that single dye for crowns. That should not grant the player the achievement which is normally associated with the dye, but ONLY give them the dye, and nothing else. Which means that they will still not get the achievement for prestige, nor an increase in achievement points.

My proposal for a fair pricing:
    Commen dyes: 100 crowns
    Uncommen dyes: 500 crowns
    Rare dyes: 1000 crowns

My suggestion is to still have the dyes be fairly expensive, so the players have weight on the option between "Ok, should I wait and get this through the achievement, where I also will get the achievement itself plus additional achievement points? .. Or should I use a hefty amount of crowns on this, but missing out on the achievement and achievement points?"

Thats just my honest idea to further give Zenimax a good way to earn some cash from us, the players. As well as allowing us players to look like we truly want to without having to grind for months in activities we despise.

Every color die availabe can be obtained for free by anyone. Absolutly no reason to put them in the dash shop. (Btw, rare dies would be 50k crown or more. lol). Some are a fantastic reward for acomplishments.

Just play the game and get your dies.
  • jkemmery
    jkemmery
    ✭✭✭✭
    jkemmery wrote: »

If you really want me to, I can link you article after article showing that "hardcore" gamers (the ones who want every single element of the game to be obtained through months of grinding) are less than 10% of the entire MMO playerbase. There have been several released.

Well I"m not a "hardcore gamer". I bought an XBox 360 a while back, more to have something for both Netflix and to play blu rays than for games, but it came with a free copy of Skyrim ... and I loved it, the first game I had played in probably 20 years. And here I am. I think the people opposing the idea of selling dyes in the crown store represent a far larger demographic than just "hardcore gamers".
    Edited by jkemmery on April 16, 2015 2:05PM
  • ShadowHvo
    ShadowHvo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EJRose83 wrote: »
    Why would you suggest this? =/

Because grinding in PvP for 16 hours every day for an entire year is not fun and challenging content, it is a tedious grind, nothing more and nothing less. There is no challenge to be had beyond being able to call sick from both school and work in order to get a single dye which you'll have obtained in about a year from now if you do nothing but PvP, sleep and eat.

That is why I suggest this, so those of us who just want the dye, not the PvP glory, honor, achievement or achievement points, just the dye so we can colour our roleplaying outfit to perfection. We're not asking for a title, or emperorship, but a dye.
    Nighren - The Shadow Striker
    Leader of Bloodlines
    -- EU --

Want to roleplay in elder scrolls online? Check out eso-rp.com
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't know,

if we talk about the current dyes then I would say, maybe. If we talk about future dyes then a big NO. I like to unlock them over time by just playing the game and for me a specific color also means something. While I will never be Emperor, I still like the rarity of that color and I would prefer to keep it that way.
  • asteldian
    asteldian
    ✭✭✭✭

While I agree with the sentiment, rewards for effort I put in relate to getting better and more powerful. Not meaningless fluff. So if putting crap that has no impact on actual gameplay and char progression means delaying buy 2 win, I am all for it.
    Titles, costumes, motifs, pets, mounts, pointless food and potions, respecs, have at it, none of it effects the balance.

Course, that is the inevitable issue with a cash shop, no matter what is on there people are gonna get pissed off.
  • Vaerth
    Vaerth
    ✭✭✭✭
    As the title says. As a roleplayer I would love to get the ability to flat out buy a dye which I need to make my perfect roleplaying outfit. The current problem with the system is that some of the dyes are so extremely hard to get for players who don't particularly take joy in certain activites.

My idea is merely that, when browsing the dyes it would be cool to be able to click a locked dye, and get the option to flat out buy that single dye for crowns. That should not grant the player the achievement which is normally associated with the dye, but ONLY give them the dye, and nothing else. Which means that they will still not get the achievement for prestige, nor an increase in achievement points.

My proposal for a fair pricing:
    Commen dyes: 100 crowns
    Uncommen dyes: 500 crowns
    Rare dyes: 1000 crowns

My suggestion is to still have the dyes be fairly expensive, so the players have weight on the option between "Ok, should I wait and get this through the achievement, where I also will get the achievement itself plus additional achievement points? .. Or should I use a hefty amount of crowns on this, but missing out on the achievement and achievement points?"

Thats just my honest idea to further give Zenimax a good way to earn some cash from us, the players. As well as allowing us players to look like we truly want to without having to grind for months in activities we despise.

no
    Pact Bloodwraith
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Goodness, I expected the community to take a nose dive after B2P, but so far, this takes the cake.

Dyes are not hard to get.

They really aren't.

Really.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wasn't happy to see them offer Motifs in the crown shop at all. This is going to really hurt the crafting community. But DYES? Somethign that is purely cosmetic and should NEVER have been tied to achievements in the first place? Something anyone who doesn't PvP constantly will NEVER be able to get? No, that's just not right. NONE of the dyes should have been locked. But since they are, there's absolutely NO reason not to also sell them in the store.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• Prizax
    Prizax
    ✭✭✭
    Actually this is something they will also sell on time.
  • Valen_Byte
    Valen_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    NO, Many of us have spent hundreds of hours going after those dyes over the past year. It would be nothing more than a big slap in the face to us if you could just buy them. No No NO!

IF for some stupid reason they did decide to do this. Pricing should be like this:

Common: 1000
    Uncommon: 5000
    Rare: 10,000

Even with those prices, I would still be pissed.
    ***Dixon Kay MagDK FORMER EMPEROR***Deca Dix MagDK FORMER EMPORER***Valonious MagPlar FORMER EMPEROR***
    GM of BYTE
    MAY YOUR DEATHS BE SWIFT, AND YOUR LOAD SCREENS LONG.
    And alien tears will fill for him, Pity’s long-broken urn, For his mourners will be outcast men, And outcasts always mourn
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Valen_Byte wrote: »
    NO, Many of us have spent hundreds of hours going after those dyes over the past year. It would be nothing more than a big slap in the face to us if you could just buy them. No No NO!

IF for some stupid reason they did decide to do this. Pricing should be like this:

I'm betting the crafting community feels the same way about the Motifs being in the Store. But this goes in with ZOS's "cosmetics and convenience" strategy. No reason to disallow it.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• Valen_Byte
    Valen_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    MornaBaine wrote: »

I'm betting the crafting community feels the same way about the Motifs being in the Store. But this goes in with ZOS's "cosmetics and convenience" strategy. No reason to disallow it.

Yes, as a crafter, I was not happy to see the motifs in the store either. However, dyes and titles are the most valuable things in the game; as far as time spent to achieve them. Morna I have almost always supported your ideas, but I cant get behind this one. I have spent way too many hours obtaining the titles and dyes.
    ***Dixon Kay MagDK FORMER EMPEROR***Deca Dix MagDK FORMER EMPORER***Valonious MagPlar FORMER EMPEROR***
    GM of BYTE
    MAY YOUR DEATHS BE SWIFT, AND YOUR LOAD SCREENS LONG.
    And alien tears will fill for him, Pity’s long-broken urn, For his mourners will be outcast men, And outcasts always mourn
  • jkemmery
    jkemmery
    ✭✭✭✭
    MornaBaine wrote: »

Yes, as a crafter, I was not happy to see the motifs in the store either. However, dyes and titles are the most valuable things in the game; as far as time spent to achieve them. Morna I have almost always supported your ideas, but I cant get behind this one. I have spent way too many hours obtaining the titles and dyes.

To be fair, OP was only asking for dyes, not titles.
  • EQBallzz
    EQBallzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PEOPLE STOP TRYING TO MONETIZE THINGS

Ahhh..the joy of F2P/B2P. Isn't it grand?