The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ps4 version will be better

• Dragnelus
    Dragnelus
    ✭✭✭
    I think the consoles will have a hard time with pve event and ava. I dont think the consoles can handle it. Or they make ot that you can only see 10 ppl on your screen.

I had the same issues with ffxiv on the ps4 on a world boss event I couldnt move lagging so bad.

But on the pc its just fine.
  • reften
    reften
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't aim in FPS shooter style games with a PS4 controller...I think that is going to be clumsy for the consol users.

FTC was a game changer addon for me. I bet the PS4 users are going to be frustrated with the game because of the lack of basic addons to help with things.

Plus, no idea how you communicate in the game with a PS4. Will TS be built in? But even so, no keyboard = poor communication.

MMOs are meant for PC.
    Reften
    Bosmer (Wood Elf)
    Moonlight Crew (RIP), Misfitz (RIP), Victorem Guild

VR16 NB, Stam build, Max all crafts.

Azuras & Trueflame. Mostly PvP, No alts.

Semi-retired till the lag is fixed.

Love the Packers, Bourbon, and ESO...one of those will eventually kill me.
  • Roechacca
    Roechacca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_AlanG wrote: »
    Hi everyone, while most of the conversation here is fine, please remember that we do not allow bashing/flaming on the forums, and this includes attacking a platform (and by extension, those who play on it).

Preference on things like keyboard/controller, or desk/couch, or add-ons or none are personal and vary - please be respectful of that fact.

Can we call console players Milk Drinkers ? My Son's on PS4 and I call him a Milk drinker cause he really does drink all the damn milk .
  • dietlime
    dietlime
    ✭✭✭✭
    jircris11 wrote: »
    my big thing with add-ons is this. None of them give anyone an unfair advantage, they do not reveal where a person is or tell them exactly how to kill them.

Oh yes they do. I have one that tells me the exact moment you're at %29 health and vulnerable to bonus damage from execution skills, and another that flashes red text on my screen telling me the exact moment I need to cleanse myself to prevent any DoT or "off-balance" effects.
  • dietlime
    dietlime
    ✭✭✭✭
    People don't understand how powerful the PS4 is. It's basically an Athlon FX octa-core with a 7970m APU w/ HSA. You won't be able to appreciate it without being an OpenCL or CUDA developer, but the power comes from the architecture. You don't have to move data over the PCI-E bus for GPGPU computing, the APU and CPU share the same memory address space.

Not only is it a *** 7970 but the CPU and GPU can share the 8gb of GDDR5. This arch lets you do most of what you could do on Cell via SPUs but easier and faster.

Can your PS4 power two displays, one with Netflix or an x264-encoded 1080p movie file, and the other with PvP?

No?
  • dietlime
    dietlime
    ✭✭✭✭
    Samadhi wrote: »
    Personally, my use of add ons has been key to me uncovering and pinpointing various skill bugs.

On the console version everyone will be equally unable to document bugs; it should make ZOS' job a lot easier.

^^This and I already emulate a controller so, and they are adding controller support soon (check you user setting file) so no need to leave my PC.

:open_mouth:

SET GamepadSensitivityFirstPerson.2 "0.72000003"
    SET GamepadSensitivityThirdPerson.2 "0.85000002"
    SET GamepadInvertX "0"
    SET GamepadInvertY "0"

<3 ZoS, thanks for not unnecessarily boning the PC players.
  • dietlime
    dietlime
    ✭✭✭✭
    Busting everyone down to the stoneage makes it all even, but that doesn't make it GOOD.

This statement is so very full of win.
    Gidorick wrote: »
    IGN-Hands-On-Project-Morpheus-640x353.jpg

Sorry, that just looks like a chiropractor bill and possibly a class action lawsuit for severe neck trauma.

I know everyone is excited for VR to become a reality, but this sort of seems more like strapping a game boy to my face. No thanks!

I think what it comes down to for me is that I hate consoles with a fiery passion of principles and expectations I personally feel they fly in the face of (no image-related pun intended). Too many invasions of privacy and massive gimmicky moneygrabs holding back superior PC game development for me to support them.

Hating consoles is stupid, they're just subsidized entertainment computers for poor people. That was their origin beyond the era when they were basically toys, that's where they are today.

Did you know the Xbox was originally coined the Microsoft Direct X Box? Another reason you should probably stop before talking up the PS4 like you're a computer architecture engineer when you aren't: although it might be the bare minimum, Microsoft knows exactly what the bare minimum is because they designed the graphics library rendering your PS4's games. The PS4 is technically superior in a ham-fisted way, in the same way the Xbox 360 took a brute force approach over the strange proprietary design choices made in the PS3. What it does better is multitasking.

As for VR, you're also in the dark. You've clearly never tried it, I've used both the OR DK, DK2 & the Cove prototype, and I've used the Samsung Gear and several home-made VR sets. The ones being professionally manufactured are very light and feel like wearing ski goggles at worst.

Edited by dietlime on April 1, 2015 4:50PM
  • Obscure
    Obscure
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "dietlime wrote: »
    Hating consoles is stupid, they're just subsidized entertainment computers for poor people. That was their origin beyond the era when they were basically toys, that's where they are today.
    Check your facts. Google is literally on the same internet you found this forum.

There's no subsidy for consoles. There is one for general game development in France and the UK (pretty solid tax break). Consoles are not for "poor people", they are for the largest targetable demographic, which in gaming is a 30 year old Caucasian male (as of 2013). They are not toys for children, they are machines for grown adults, adults that may simply want ease of accessibly with their games based on a subjective preference. Especially when it comes down to games like ESO that aren't going to come near to pushing the performance boundary on modern consoles, there's no objective reason to care.

While we're on the subject of subjective preference, I hate brussels sprouts, a bias equally relevant to this discussion as yours.

• Eliteseraph
    Eliteseraph
    ✭✭✭
    dietlime wrote: »
    Hating consoles is stupid,

I don' t necessarily hate consoles. What I hate is how game companies use them. Console-exclusive releases to try and push their product is my most hated nemesis. It's not even enough that some games never come to PC, but they even limit games to specific consoles sometimes! If I wanted to play all the games I'm interested in, I have to buy 2-3 consoles and in some cases pay for separate online services.

That nonsense needs to stop, and I'm extremely happy that Zenimax is releasing on both PC and console.
    Edited by Eliteseraph on April 1, 2015 10:32PM
    "What a sad world we live in, where politeness is mistaken for weakness." - Usagi Yojimbo
  • Obscure
    Obscure
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That nonsense needs to stop, and I'm extremely happy that Zenimax is releasing on both PC and console.

I'm not. It worries me. From the content development process, to segregated severs, segregated fan base, and the prospective unknown return on investment, Zenimax's multiplatform ambition is laden with risk. Even if ESO was at 99% bug free and perfectly smooth, solidifying a position in the console space with an MMO in general hasn't seen remarkable success since the days of Phantasy Star Online 1&2 (technically not an MMO either). I'm not saying I think it'll be a flop or fail, just unsure if it'll ultimately be worth the investment in time and money. The unknown is worrying given the game's PC track record and present state.

• pecheckler
    pecheckler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, my use of add ons has been key to me uncovering and pinpointing various skill bugs.

On the console version everyone will be equally unable to document bugs; it should make ZOS' job a lot easier.

^^This and I already emulate a controller so, and they are adding controller support soon (check you user setting file) so no need to leave my PC.

SET GamepadInvertX "0"
    SET GamepadInvertY "0"

Is there an official statement somewhere? I don't consider new values in a configuration file proof. Also, there's always the chance that controller support will be added without adding an appropriate user interface.
    End the tedious inventory management game.
  • Varicite
    Varicite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the plus side - when passives don't work at all, skills don't do what they're supposed to do, numbers are out of whack, etc, console users will be blissfully ignorant that their game is broken w/out addons to see what the heck is actually happening.
  • infraction2008b16_ESO
    infraction2008b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    People don't understand how powerful the PS4 is. It's basically an Athlon FX octa-core with a 7970m APU w/ HSA. You won't be able to appreciate it without being an OpenCL or CUDA developer, but the power comes from the architecture. You don't have to move data over the PCI-E bus for GPGPU computing, the APU and CPU share the same memory address space.

Not only is it a *** 7970 but the CPU and GPU can share the 8gb of GDDR5. This arch lets you do most of what you could do on Cell via SPUs but easier and faster.

7970m is not the same as 7970, it's more like a 7870.
  • dietlime
    dietlime
    ✭✭✭✭
    pecheckler wrote: »

SET GamepadInvertX "0"
    SET GamepadInvertY "0"

Is there an official statement somewhere? I don't consider new values in a configuration file proof. Also, there's always the chance that controller support will be added without adding an appropriate user interface.

I don't think Bethesda will do that this time. The UI's linear-list layout is already very controller friendly.
  • Wicked_Wolf
    Wicked_Wolf
    ✭✭✭✭
    I personally don't care what people's choice of console is but "better" is incredibly subjective. In my case; ill never see myself preferring any game on console over PC, ever. Playing at 4k with 60fps has spoiled me. Playing anything capped at 30fps honestly makes me nauseas.
  • RedTalon
    RedTalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think pvp will be the best and totality lag free for ps 4.
  • Genomic
    Genomic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How is inventory management with a controller? I'd imagine it'd be a nightmare, but I'm happy to be corrected. Can anyone who currently uses a controller on the PC explain how shuffling the huge amount of inventory items works using said controller?
  • WhiskyBob
    WhiskyBob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just wonder how consollers will handle Sanctum Ophidia last boss crystal run, first AA boss circle run, mantikora green dodging and overall stage controll.
  • Jaxsun
    Jaxsun
    ✭✭✭✭
    Armethius wrote: »
    BBSooner wrote: »
    Number 2 I disagree with, and I have a better rig than my PS4 so number 3 is out for me too. Number 1 depends if you do/n't like mods.

number 1 is correct in all cases. players who don't dl mods are at a disadvantage. these are the same players that play the game because they love the visuals and the design of the elder scrolls series. why should i have to download all these colored bars/shouting text messages just to compete in pvp. its kind of stupid ZOS even allows them

What's stupid is that they designed the game without the option to turn off all the things in the UI that some of the players don't like. I happen to like buff bars and name plates, guild tags, being able to move windows around to the location of my choosing, text overlay on resource bars, etc. It's fine if some players like the minimalistic approach but some don't. THe one's that like it shouldn't have to download 3rd party software, that on any given day may never be usable again, to make the game playable for them. It should be included in the game and the players that don't like it can turn it off.
  • ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    After a year and a half of beta it better be good.
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mumnoch wrote: »
    i think the ps4 version will be better for a couple reasons:

1. no mods, even playing field for all players
    2. much easier to control character with buttons and joystick
    3. optmized graphics for those who dont have the hottest computer

any reason these aren't true?
    any more to add?

i pretty much bought the ps4 anticipating this release... can't wait

There are mod's that the majority of the playerbase consider "essential" to playing this game. Fixes from UI interface, to questing, to crafting. No mods = a much crappier playing experience in my opinion. In a game that lacks so much in so many area's it's a good thing they went B2P because this game is not worth a monthly sub in the PC market, much less console.

Majority of the playerbase? No. Fixes to the UI? Not really. The UI isn't broken.

You like playing with mods? Fine. But don't make things up.

Definitely didn't make it up
    Bobbity Boop, this game might become poop, but I'll still play because I'm just a pile of goop!
  • King Bozo
    King Bozo
    ✭✭✭
    I will be playing both pc and xbox. Which ever is better wins my play time.
  • Mumnoch
    Mumnoch
    ✭✭✭
    Mumnoch wrote: »

any more to add?

There are mod's that the majority of the playerbase consider "essential" to playing this game. Fixes from UI interface, to questing, to crafting. No mods = a much crappier playing experience in my opinion. In a game that lacks so much in so many area's it's a good thing they went B2P because this game is not worth a monthly sub in the PC market, much less console.

ive played the game addon-less since launch and i've never had any issues besides the first month when questing was bugged everywhere.

That's fine. People who do use addon's will always be above you, which is also fine.
  • KontrolledKhaos
    KontrolledKhaos
    ✭✭✭
    They really need to add a "Disagree" button to these posts.
  • AssaultLemming
    AssaultLemming
    ✭✭✭✭
    Playing without add-ons is like playing with one hand tied behind your back. Even the crafting add-ons make the experience greatly improved, they make managing trait research, research timing, recipe and ingredient management so so much easier that I couldn't imagine going back to playing without them. I'm sure you can play without them, but you could also punch yourself repeatedly in the face, the question is why would you want to.
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jircris11 wrote: »
    my big thing with add-ons is this. None of them give anyone an unfair advantage, they do not reveal where a person is or tell them exactly how to kill them.

Oh yes they do. I have one that tells me the exact moment you're at %29 health and vulnerable to bonus damage from execution skills, and another that flashes red text on my screen telling me the exact moment I need to cleanse myself to prevent any DoT or "off-balance" effects.
    That does not give you an advantage over me. It simply makes it more clear then the normal UI. I also have a add on that gives HP % and one that tells me when to cleanse as well. BUT an experienced player can also play the game jsut fine without it. they are conveniences nothing more. Now if one basically analyzed the opponent then provided a skill map that would be most likely to beat them, Then that would be unfair. But simple UI feedback such as % updates and buff/debuff warnings is not game breaking. It is lazy but not game breaking.
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • Seraphyel
    Seraphyel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xendyn wrote: »
    It will certainly make it a lot easier for ZOS. No addons means no one will ever know half the Champion skills and other abilities aren't even working, therefore fewer complaints lol.

Haha true.
    I think the consoles will have a hard time with pve event and ava. I dont think the consoles can handle it. Or they make ot that you can only see 10 ppl on your screen.

I had the same issues with ffxiv on the ps4 on a world boss event I couldnt move lagging so bad.

But on the pc its just fine.

Final Fantasy XIV on PS4 can handle 1080p and over 100 players at the same time while having excellent graphics. Just fyi.
    Edited by Seraphyel on April 2, 2015 9:07AM
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

any more to add?

1: mod have endured the life span of many games. Doom is still played on PC. Although it's an mmo some mods are nice to have for some people ( I only use FTC). And since it is a mmo, the game won't change to much

2: Depends on what you are used to. I own both a PS3 and a PC and laptop. I prefer PC gaming over PS3 because I am used to mouse+keyboard.

3: PS have no optimized graphics, but downgraded graphics so you can run it. With a hot PC you can have all the beauty, and on a lesser PC you can downgrade the graphics. This flexibility makes PC powerfull since everybody even on older systems can play the game. Whereas you need a PS4 to play it as it cannot be downgraded to PS3.

All reasons are also personal how people feel about it. I loved the games God of War on PS3 and are good playable with controller. But games like Battlefield I rather play on PC (I own also PS3 BF3)

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • Eliteseraph
    Eliteseraph
    ✭✭✭
    Jaxsun wrote: »

What's stupid is that they designed the game without the option to turn off all the things in the UI that some of the players don't like. I happen to like buff bars and name plates, guild tags, being able to move windows around to the location of my choosing, text overlay on resource bars, etc. It's fine if some players like the minimalistic approach but some don't. THe one's that like it shouldn't have to download 3rd party software, that on any given day may never be usable again, to make the game playable for them. It should be included in the game and the players that don't like it can turn it off.

They designed the game to eventually be easily converted to consoles. That's why we don't have so many basic industry standards for MMOs in the UI.

High levels of UI customization is something every MMO should be designed with from the ground up. Being able to manipulate what information is displayed in the way you want is a standard, not an option these days. Controlling where info is displayed, what size the windows are, where the buttons are, where party info is, etc, etc.

I think that ESO allowing the use of addons to correct and customize things is a very good step. However, the current default UI is a disgrace, and I pity the console users since they're already playing at a disadvantage.
    "What a sad world we live in, where politeness is mistaken for weakness." - Usagi Yojimbo
  • dwtdwtdwt
    dwtdwtdwt
    ✭✭✭
    @Armethius I can't think of a single addon (aka mod) that gives a player an advantage over another player. If there is an example that you can give me, I would like to know it so I can download it and use it.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." -Plato