Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Who wins the Three Banners War?

Knowledge
Knowledge
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm curious as to what the opinion or general consensus is regarding the Three Banners War victor.

If we look into the lore we can see there is a Second Aldmeri Dominion. Could that mean that they survive the three banners war?

I've heard that Ebonheart Pact could be the victor but they are the most unstable of the three banners. It just seems unlikely to me from a lore perspective. You'd think the alliance with the most internal struggle would have issues cohesively fighting against its enemies.

What are your thoughts?
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on February 19, 2024 11:21PM
  • Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is really up in the air for me as each alliance has its own strengths and weaknesses. If I had to take a stance I assume the imperials will rally at some point and retake Cyrodiil themselves l, although they may get help to do so from one or more of the current alliances.

I expect that Imperials will retake Cyrodiil themselves as they seem to be in charge of it.in the third era.
    That which we obtain to cheap we esteem to lightly, it is dearness only that gives everything its value.

-Thomas Pain

• Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought no one won the Three Banners War. A bigger issue came along and all three alliances collapsed before the conquest of Tiber Septim.
  • Vunter
    Vunter
    ✭✭✭
    Someone will come riding a giant robot and conquering all Tamriel.
  • Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vunter wrote: »
    Someone will come riding a giant robot and conquering all Tamriel.

I thought Numinidium was out of service
    That which we obtain to cheap we esteem to lightly, it is dearness only that gives everything its value.

-Thomas Pain

• Naor_Sarethi
    Naor_Sarethi
    ✭✭✭
    Zenithar-max. He made this war and he'll damn well see some profit !
  • Runefell
    Runefell
    ✭✭✭✭
    None of them. After this, Tiber Septim, aka Talos, swoops in and unites all the lands under him, creating the Empire.

The Covenant doesn't survive after Emeric's death, the Pact pretty much disintegrates and the Dark Elves re-enslave the Argonians, who in turn attack and massacre Dark Elves, whereas the Dominion falls apart due to the Veiled Heritance.

Check out the videos by ShoddyCast on Youtube for some awesome lore background. There's a whole series that's worth a watch.
    Rune Fell- Dunmer Mag Sorcerer (DC)~The Adventurer
    Runed Claws- Khajiit Stam Dragonknight (DC) ~The Tank
    Rain Fell- Argonian Mag Templar (EP)~ The Healer
    Dragon Talon- Bosmer Stam Nightblade (AD) ~ The DPS

• WraithAzraiel
    WraithAzraiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then the Thalmor rise up and rule everything, utilizing the Imperials as a puppet government.
    Shendell De'Gull - V14 Vampire Nightblade

Captain of the Black Howling

"There's no such thing as overkill..."

"No problem on the face of the Earth exists what can't be fixed with the proper application of enough duct tape and 550 cord."

P2PBetaTesters
    #Tamriel_BETA_Team
    #BETA_TESTER4LYF
    DominionMasterRace
    #GOAHEADTHEYGOTCANDY
    #SEEMSLEGIT
  • Knowledge
    Knowledge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    See, there's still some missing content between Tiber Septim and the Three Banners War.

Can we really definitively say who won?
    Edited by Knowledge on March 30, 2015 12:15AM
  • Tabbycat
    Tabbycat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This is the extent of what we know: http://www.imperial-library.info/content/second-era
    Founder and Co-GM of The Psijic Order Guild (NA)
    0.016%
  • Knowledge
    Knowledge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tabbycat wrote: »
    This is the extent of what we know: http://www.imperial-library.info/content/second-era

I don't know if I like the place they chose to put this story. I'd rather it be based on more recent events IE after skyrim, it's not so exciting knowing what happens.
  • bloodenragedb14_ESO
    bloodenragedb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no one wins, or rather everyone loses. Talos comes along in a few centuries and makes them all his ***
  • bosmern_ESO
    bosmern_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *spoiler*Abnur tharn forms the alliance under one banner, He takes the Amulet of Kings and returns to the imperial city at the end of the story in ESO. From what we know, Talos ends the war and pretty much expands the alliance under one banner so there is no more faction, only the governments (the reason why you see Aldmeri dominion and other factions in later games.) Can only assume that abnur tharn used the amulet of kings with Talos so he can ascend and become the Ninth Divine
    Edited by bosmern_ESO on March 30, 2015 1:01AM
    ~Thallen~
  • drschplatt
    drschplatt
    ✭✭✭✭
    The short answer is that no one wins. The empire kicks everyone's butt and the various Aldmeri groups that come later on in the history of the game have very little if anything to do with the first Aldmeri Dominion.

Even the Aldmeri Dominions that come later get dominated.
    Foräois - Imperial Sorcerer of Ineptitude.
    Widoch - Nord Dragon Knight of Ignorance.
    Billy Bob - Dunmer Templar of Chicken and Noodles.
    Blades of Vengeance
  • Rust_in_Peace
    Rust_in_Peace
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Runefell wrote: »
    None of them. After this, Tiber Septim, aka Talos, swoops in and unites all the lands under him, creating the Empire.

The Covenant doesn't survive after Emeric's death, the Pact pretty much disintegrates and the Dark Elves re-enslave the Argonians, who in turn attack and massacre Dark Elves, whereas the Dominion falls apart due to the Veiled Heritance.

Check out the videos by ShoddyCast on Youtube for some awesome lore background. There's a whole series that's worth a watch.

The last 5 minutes of that video are just cringeworthy.
  • WhiskyBob
    WhiskyBob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Population Lock exploit wins.
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In the end: The Imperials and Tiber Septim. But not for a couple of hundred years.
  • Chuggernaut
    Chuggernaut
    ✭✭✭
    Its all a dream, and before the servers go down for good the last players will be treated to a video of a child waking up. My father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate who works at ZeniMax told me :)
    My comrades have returned. I erect the spine of gratitude. You are a hero today. - Bura-Natoo
  • runagate
    runagate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Whichever faction has the most ERP vampire guild events scheduled on weekends.
  • Rylana
    Rylana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The First Aldmeri Dominion gets the closest to capturing all of Cyrodiil. The Daggerfall Covenant falls apart internally, and the Pact gets crushed by Tiber Septim first.

So AD is the last one standing, but they too get driven out. (and are the only faction to remain intact for any period of time, falling apart shortly after Tiber takes the ruby throne)

The Second Aldmeri Dominion (the remnants of the First, with the Khajiit as allies via treaty and not as members) would defy Tiber Septim and hold the SW quarter of the continent for quite some time before they were finally conquered.

The Third Aldmeri Dominion would return a few hundred years later and successfully take Imperial City for a short time, but were again defeated. Its also worth noting that the Khajiit were actually enemies of the Altmer and Bosmer in this particular war, their lands occupied and puppeted instead of allied.
    Edited by Rylana on March 30, 2015 11:05AM
    @rylanadionysis == Closed Beta Tester October 2013 == Retired October 2016 == Uninstalled @ One Tamriel Release == Inactive Indefinitely
    Ebonheart Pact: Lyzara Dionysis - Sorc - AR 37 (Former Empress of Blackwater Blade and Haderus) == Shondra Dionysis - Temp - AR 23 == Arrianaya Dionysis - DK - AR 17
    Aldmeri Dominion: Rylana Dionysis - DK - AR 25 == Kailiana - NB - AR 21 == Minerva Dionysis - Temp - AR 21 == Victoria Dionysis - Sorc - AR 13
    Daggerfall Covenant: Dannika Dionysis - DK - AR 21 == The Catman Rises - Temp - AR 15 (Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade)
    Forum LOL Champion (retired) == Black Belt in Ballista-Fu == The Last Vice Member == Praise Cheesus == Electro-Goblin
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knowledge wrote: »
    Tabbycat wrote: »

I don't know if I like the place they chose to put this story. I'd rather it be based on more recent events IE after skyrim, it's not so exciting knowing what happens.

I think they want to save after Skyrim for TES VI and they chose this period because they wanted to have large scale PvP so it had to be some point when all of Tamriel was at war. It also helps that there's no clear winner (which might bias people towards that faction) and the details aren't clear, which gives them relatively freedom to add events and storyline with DLC/expansions, whereas if they'd chosen something more well known like Tiber Septims conquest of Tamriel they'd have to stick relatively closely to the pre-written version. (Sure there are details that are unclear or debated in lore but something big like Molag Bal trying to take over or....dragons appearing in Cyrodiil or an invasion from Akavir would be completely off the table.)

Also they couldn't go too far back or you'd start to run into issues like the Dunmer not being in Morrowind, the Orsimer not being transformed, the Ayleids still being around etc.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • MorHawk
    MorHawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We used to debate this a lot back in beta, and a common argument was "EP wins because Tiber was a Nord".

My perspective is that I'd define 'winning' as having achieved the goals of that faction. EP wants autonomy for each province. AD wants an elven empire. DC wants a human empire.

Remind me what actually ended up happening? Oh, a human empire, right. DC wins. :)
    Observant wrote: »
    I can count to potato.
    another topic that cant see past its own farts.
    WWJLHD?
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The Imperials do.
    I AM UPDATING MY PRIVACY POLICY

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

∽∽∽ 2 years of Elder Scrolls Online ∼∼∼
    "Give us money" = Box sales & monthly sub fees,
    "moar!" = £10 palomino horse,
    "MOAR!" = Switch to B2P, launch cash shop,
    "MOAR!!" = Charge for DLC that subs had already paid for,
    "MOAR!!!" = Experience scrolls and riding lessons,
    "MOARR!!!" = Vampire/werewolf bites,
    "MOAARRR!!!" = CS exclusive motifs,
    "MOOAARRR!!!" = Crown crates,
    "MOOOAAARRR!!!" = 'Chapter's' bought separately from ESO+,
    "MOOOOAAAARRRR!!!!" = ???

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm inclined to believe they all collapse some time before 2E 800, and I can't see them being sustainable much beyond the deaths of their respective leaders; Emeric and Ayrenn seem to be integral to the success of DC and AD, with only EP having the potential to outlast them due to their Great Moot not relying on any leader in particular. None of them will win the Three Banners War though.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MorHawk wrote: »
    We used to debate this a lot back in beta, and a common argument was "EP wins because Tiber was a Nord".

My perspective is that I'd define 'winning' as having achieved the goals of that faction. EP wants autonomy for each province. AD wants an elven empire. DC wants a human empire.

Remind me what actually ended up happening? Oh, a human empire, right. DC wins. :)

Considering Tiber's rise came at the cost of both an invasion of Morrowind against the Dunmer as well as an invasion of Hammerfell over the Redguards I'd say neither EP nor DC had their interests served.

Septim ends up leading the Colovian Estates (another human empire but directly at war with DC), meaning, as far as the game is concerned, the NPCs essentially win the war. I would be hard pressed to say DC won for him conquering them (or EP for that matter).

More likely all the alliances collapse before Tiber's rise.
  • MorHawk
    MorHawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BBSooner wrote: »

Considering Tiber's rise came at the cost of both an invasion of Morrowind against the Dunmer as well as an invasion of Hammerfell over the Redguards I'd say neither EP nor DC had their interests served.

Septim ends up leading the Colovian Estates (another human empire but directly at war with DC), meaning, as far as the game is concerned, the NPCs essentially win the war. I would be hard pressed to say DC won for him conquering them (or EP for that matter).

Erm, Tiber invaded basically *everything*. Hence the whole 'empire' thing.
    Yes, I'm sure we're all aware that none of the alliances won in the end, but the point is that it was DC's *goals* that were met, in the end. I'd even go so far as to assume that the Covenant had been dissolved prior to Cuhlecain making his move out of Falkreath, or the doors of Sancre Tor would have been thrown wide open to receive him.
    I can count to potato.
    WWJLHD?
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I'm sure we're all aware that none of the alliances won in the end, but the point is that it was DC's *goals* that were met, in the end. I'd even go so far as to assume that the Covenant had been dissolved prior to Cuhlecain making his move out of Falkreath, or the doors of Sancre Tor would have been thrown wide open to receive him.

Even still, Tiber conquering the jarls and kings of Skyrim and High Rock doesn't make any faction a retroactive winner based on what their goals were, considering the nation's they were during his rise were conquered along with everybody else.

Besides, I'd say their goals - more than a human empire - would be that of a Breton emperor. Otherwise before the collapse they would have aligned themselves with the Colovians and attempted to put the imperials back on the throne if the only prerequisite was that "a human" be in charge.
  • MorHawk
    MorHawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, so let's just say that they won *more* than the others. Better?
    I can count to potato.
    WWJLHD?
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, so let's just say that they won *more* than the others. Better?

Winning more of nothing is still nothing. So, sure? :)
  • Mikoto
    Mikoto
    ✭✭✭

Even still, Tiber conquering the jarls and kings of Skyrim and High Rock doesn't make any faction a retroactive winner based on what their goals were, considering the nation's they were during his rise were conquered along with everybody else.

Besides, I'd say their goals - more than a human empire - would be that of a Breton emperor. Otherwise before the collapse they would have aligned themselves with the Colovians and attempted to put the imperials back on the throne if the only prerequisite was that "a human" be in charge.

Technically Talos is a breton but it depends on what you believe.
  • Obscure
    Obscure
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Question:
    Who wins the Three Banners War?

Answer:
    TALOS
    Talos_Shrine.jpg

This discussion has been closed.