Maintenance for the week of July 8:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance - July 8
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 9, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

From a Lore Standpoint, how tall are Wood Elves (Bosmer)

Vaerth
Vaerth
✭✭✭✭
I was curious, as I read that Bosmer are the shortest race in all of Tamriel, how short are they exactly? Like comparing a Dunmer or Imperial, how short is a Bosmer Male? I liked the Bosmer lore and the creation process of my Bosmer, but being a tiny hobbit elf does not fit me very well lol. I am deciding between Dunmer and Bosmer and the passives for Bosmer are great for my NB build, but if they are really short that will be a issue for me lol.
Edited by Vaerth on March 17, 2015 6:00PM
Pact Bloodwraith
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got a bosmer that I made as short as possible, and as muscular as possible. His name is Short And Hard. I wanted his name to be Short And Hard the Bodybuilding Elf, but the name was too long :(

But yeah, a bosmer is much shorter than a dunmer or imperial.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
    Options
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Vaerth
    Vaerth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »
    They're hobbitses. This might help.

Yeah, that breaks it for me then lol. Was the perfect race for my build, but I can not handle being a super short character.
    Pact Bloodwraith
    Options
  • Louis
    Louis
    ✭✭✭
    the shortest of all races, if you dont like being small then go on and switch to the dunmer before its too late
    alot of people look at this signature, i guess youre one of them.
    Options
  • RainfeatherUK
    RainfeatherUK
    ✭✭✭✭
    From a lore perspective Bosmer females are taller then males and can easily match humans in height. Males are stereotypically a few feet shorter than the women.

The Bosmer height is really made to look so severe because of their Altmer cousins, who can tower at 6ft 8.

With height varience though its enough to say that they are equivalent to a short human. They arent extremely titchy like various tolkien characters, so its reasonable to say that a tall bosmer wouldnt be all that small. Minus the smaller build/ physique anyway.
    Options
  • Vaerth
    Vaerth
    ✭✭✭✭
    From a lore perspective Bosmer females are taller then males and can easily match humans in height. Males are stereotypically a few feet shorter than the women.

The Bosmer height is really made to look so severe because of their Altmer cousins, who can tower at 6ft 8.

With height varience though its enough to say that they are equivalent to a short human. They arent extremely titchy like various tolkien characters, so its reasonable to say that a tall bosmer wouldnt be all that small. Minus the smaller build/ physique anyway.

Playing a female wont ever happen for me, so I guess a Dunmer will have to do. This game kind of aggravates me more than entertains me these days, passives for racials make it optimal to go one route, but then I dislike my character. I am a NB, archer none the less, so the Bosmer passives are great, and the Dunmer passives are not so much suit to my NB stamina bow build. Problem is, I wont get over the fact that my Bosmer would be that short, so if I want to like my character I have to be Dunmer, and if I want to be optimal I need to be Bosmer. If Dunmer and Bosmer were the same height, I would certianly go with Bosmer as I love the lore and they passives. They actually look cooler to me as well, but being real short is a bigger problem than I would like.
    Pact Bloodwraith
    Options
  • RainfeatherUK
    RainfeatherUK
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vaerth wrote: »
    Playing a female wont ever happen for me, so I guess a Dunmer will have to do. This game kind of aggravates me more than entertains me these days, passives for racials make it optimal to go one route, but then I dislike my character. I am a NB, archer none the less, so the Bosmer passives are great, and the Dunmer passives are not so much suit to my NB stamina bow build. Problem is, I wont get over the fact that my Bosmer would be that short, so if I want to like my character I have to be Dunmer, and if I want to be optimal I need to be Bosmer. If Dunmer and Bosmer were the same height, I would certianly go with Bosmer as I love the lore and they passives. They actually look cooler to me as well, but being real short is a bigger problem than I would like.

Gosh you sound as bad as me, and it can take me weeks to get a character into service sometimes!

Not going to go there on how many remakes ive shredded lol :S

As far as competitive racials go, I've been the same at certain stages - but things change as 1.6 has so readily shown us. Who knows whats around the next corner with balance, better a character that you love because its the only thing thats going to stay the same.

I've seen many a dunmer NB out there, they look friken cool tbh :dizzy:
    Edited by RainfeatherUK on March 17, 2015 6:24PM
    Options
  • Panda244
    Panda244
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Vaerth straight from the reddit, this is reliable as it gets until someone at Bethesda says otherwise.
    • Altmer (both genders) - 6'8"
    • Argonian Male - 5'10"
    • Argonian Female- 5'9"
    • Bosmer Male - 5'7''
    • Bosmer Female - 5'8"
    • Breton Male - 5'9"
    • Breton Female - 5'4''
    • Dunmer (both genders) - 5'9"
    • Imperial (both genders)- 6'0"
    • Khajiit Male - 5'9"
    • Khajiit Female - 5'4''
    • Nord (both genders)- 6'0''
    • Orc (both genders) - 6'1"1/2
    • Redguard Male - 5'9"1/2
    • Redguard Female - 5'9"
    So to answer your question, Bosmer aren't midgets, and they aren't tall. They're like a below average human male or average human female. I think... Not entirely sure.
    Aldmeri Dominion For Life!
    Crassus Licinius II - DK - V14 - Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade NA (The Dragonknight that refuses to go Vampire.)
    N'tel Arlena - NB - V14 - Retired Sap Tank of Haderus NA, Harasser of Many (Also, not a vampire. Goes by nickname Nutella.)

#FreeZazeer
    #FreeGooey
    #FreeAsgari
    #FreeAoE
    #FreeSubtomik
    #FreeMBF

Officially Resigned From Cyrodiil As Of 4/15/15 10:24 PM EST.
    Options
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Panda244 wrote: »
    @Vaerth straight from the reddit, this is reliable as it gets until someone at Bethesda says otherwise.
    • Argonian Male - 5'10"
    • Argonian Female- 5'9"
    • Bosmer Male - 5'7''
    • Bosmer Female - 5'8"
    • Breton Male - 5'9"
    • Breton Female - 5'4''
    • Khajiit Male - 5'9"
    • Khajiit Female - 5'4''
    • Redguard Female - 5'9"
    So to answer your question, Bosmer aren't midgets, and they aren't tall. They're like a below average human male or average human female. I think... Not entirely sure.
    This doesn't seem to reflect the actual in-game models well. In-game bosmer (males and females) always seem to be significantly shorter than khajiit and breton females, but according to this chart it should be the other way around.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Options
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Panda244 This list is based on Skyrim values and contradicts Morrowind, Oblivion and ESO values. Moreover, all we have are multipliers, so these heights are estimations based on the poster's guess as to what 1.0 stands for.

edit: Actually, it doesn't seem to be based on Skyrim either, or else Bosmer females would be the same height as Argonian or Dunmer females. Also, Dunmer and Imperials should be the same height. It's all very unclear.
    Edited by Rosveen on March 17, 2015 6:35PM
    Options
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »
    • Argonian Male - 5'10"
    • Argonian Female- 5'9"
    • Bosmer Male - 5'7''
    • Bosmer Female - 5'8"
    • Breton Male - 5'9"
    • Breton Female - 5'4''
    • Khajiit Male - 5'9"
    • Khajiit Female - 5'4''
    • Redguard Female - 5'9"
    This doesn't seem to reflect the actual in-game models well. In-game bosmer (males and females) always seem to be significantly shorter than khajiit and breton females, but according to this chart it should be the other way around.

It should be, but ZOS decided to screw up Bosmer heights, probably to make them more distinguishable from other races. Sad, imo. Especially that females are even shorter than males when it should be the other way around ...
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
    Options
  • Panda244
    Panda244
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Panda244 This list is based on Skyrim values and contradicts Morrowind, Oblivion and ESO values. Moreover, all we have are multipliers, so these heights are estimations based on the poster's guess as to what 1.0 stands for.

edit: Actually, it doesn't seem to be based on Skyrim either, or else Bosmer females would be the same height as Argonian or Dunmer females. Also, Dunmer and Imperials should be the same height. It's all very unclear.

It's based on Skyrim.. Or Oblivion... regardless it's save to assume that Bosmer average anywhere from 5'2 to 5'8, with females being taller... They aren't shorter than five foot otherwise... Well... *looks down and steps on one* Oops. :wink:
    Crassus Licinius II - DK - V14 - Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade NA (The Dragonknight that refuses to go Vampire.)
    N'tel Arlena - NB - V14 - Retired Sap Tank of Haderus NA, Harasser of Many (Also, not a vampire. Goes by nickname Nutella.)

#FreeZazeer
    #FreeGooey
    #FreeAsgari
    #FreeAoE
    #FreeSubtomik
    #FreeMBF

Options
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    nvm
    Edited by Rosveen on March 17, 2015 6:37PM
    Options
  • Panda244
    Panda244
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    • Argonian Male - 5'10"
    • Argonian Female- 5'9"
    • Bosmer Male - 5'7''
    • Bosmer Female - 5'8"
    • Breton Male - 5'9"
    • Breton Female - 5'4''
    • Khajiit Male - 5'9"
    • Khajiit Female - 5'4''
    • Redguard Female - 5'9"
    Khajiit have varying breeds of varying heights.. Suthay, Suthay-Raht, Cathay, Cathay-Raht, this is taken from Skyrim I believe, so the breed of Khajiit in Skyrim and TESO might be different.. I dunno. Have to get a kitty expert in here.

#FreeZazeer
    #FreeGooey
    #FreeAsgari
    #FreeAoE
    #FreeSubtomik
    #FreeMBF

Options
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

It's based on Skyrim.. Or Oblivion... regardless it's save to assume that Bosmer average anywhere from 5'2 to 5'8, with females being taller... They aren't shorter than five foot otherwise... Well... *looks down and steps on one* Oops. :wink:
    I just explained why the heights don't exactly reflect Skyrim or Oblivion values... So I don't know what it's based on. Probably someone's headcanon.
    Options
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    *Shortest unless you count Alfiq Khajiit.*
    This one has an eloquent and well thought out response to tha... Ooh sweetroll!
    Options
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »
    • Argonian Male - 5'10"
    • Argonian Female- 5'9"
    • Bosmer Male - 5'7''
    • Bosmer Female - 5'8"
    • Breton Male - 5'9"
    • Breton Female - 5'4''
    • Khajiit Male - 5'9"
    • Khajiit Female - 5'4''
    • Redguard Female - 5'9"

It should be, but ZOS decided to screw up Bosmer heights, probably to make them more distinguishable from other races. Sad, imo.
    Actually, I think it's the chart that's wrong. IIRC bosmer were always shorter than the other races in previous games, although I think Skyrim made them taller than the previous games did. I can't remember for sure though.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Options
  • Vaerth
    Vaerth
    ✭✭✭✭
    So I guess there is not of way of actually knowing the heights of the tallest male Bosmer based on the ESO sliders. Dang.

I did notice that Bosmer males were taller than females in ESO though.
    Pact Bloodwraith
    Options
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    • Argonian Male - 5'10"
    • Argonian Female- 5'9"
    • Bosmer Male - 5'7''
    • Bosmer Female - 5'8"
    • Breton Male - 5'9"
    • Breton Female - 5'4''
    • Khajiit Male - 5'9"
    • Khajiit Female - 5'4''
    • Redguard Female - 5'9"
    Khajiit have varying breeds of varying heights.. Suthay, Suthay-Raht, Cathay, Cathay-Raht, this is taken from Skyrim I believe, so the breed of Khajiit in Skyrim and TESO might be different.. I dunno. Have to get a kitty expert in here.
    Yeah, khajiit differences in height could be a result of the many different breeds, but I thought that the humanoid breeds were all roughly the same size. I guess "roughly" is a pretty broad term though...
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Options
  • Panda244
    Panda244
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    • Argonian Male - 5'10"
    • Argonian Female- 5'9"
    • Bosmer Male - 5'7''
    • Bosmer Female - 5'8"
    • Breton Male - 5'9"
    • Breton Female - 5'4''
    • Khajiit Male - 5'9"
    • Khajiit Female - 5'4''
    • Redguard Female - 5'9"
    Yeah, khajiit differences in height could be a result of the many different breeds, but I thought that the humanoid breeds were all roughly the same size. I guess "roughly" is a pretty broad term though...
    Nope, Suthay are relatively shorter and Cathay-Raht can surpass six feet tall, think of them as a very angry looking werecat.
    tumblr_inline_nbrpi6OtA51qi2wln.png
    To steal that from @Gidorick and...
    khajiit_raht_breed_variations_by_sketchbast-d5yutlp.jpg
    Just for comparisons and what not. So far only the Suthay have been in TESO as far as I know, ohmes appeared in Arena and thats bout it.
    Edited by Panda244 on March 17, 2015 6:53PM

#FreeZazeer
    #FreeGooey
    #FreeAsgari
    #FreeAoE
    #FreeSubtomik
    #FreeMBF

Options
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »
    • Argonian Male - 5'10"
    • Argonian Female- 5'9"
    • Bosmer Male - 5'7''
    • Bosmer Female - 5'8"
    • Breton Male - 5'9"
    • Breton Female - 5'4''
    • Khajiit Male - 5'9"
    • Khajiit Female - 5'4''
    • Redguard Female - 5'9"

It should be, but ZOS decided to screw up Bosmer heights, probably to make them more distinguishable from other races. Sad, imo.
    Actually, I think it's the chart that's wrong. IIRC bosmer were always shorter than the other races in previous games, although I think Skyrim made them taller than the previous games did. I can't remember for sure though.

They weren't shorter by much. Skyrim increased male Bosmer height from 0.9 to 0.98. 0.9 has been the shortest of any race, but female Bosmer have always been average - taller than Breton and Khajiit females for certain.

http://uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Races
    http://uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Races
    http://uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Races
    Edited by Faulgor on March 17, 2015 6:53PM
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
    Options
  • Feannag
    Feannag
    ✭✭
    Eh, big thing in small packages...and now Racial Bonuses actually matter. And really, Bosmer NBs are just such a good concept...those taller elves just have more in common with Orcs!
    Feannag
    Options
  • Vaerth
    Vaerth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Feannag wrote: »
    Eh, big thing in small packages...and now Racial Bonuses actually matter. And really, Bosmer NBs are just such a good concept...those taller elves just have more in common with Orcs!

I forsee race changes coming with all the bonuses changing
    Pact Bloodwraith
    Options
  • farrier_ESO
    farrier_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    The image posted by @Rosveen answers the question about as well as it's possible to answer it, far as I can see: shows the min and max heights across the board for the males, so you can directly compare.

Anyone know if there's a version for females, too?

I play the shortest possible wood elf female, and it works well for a stealth build, thief/crafter/sorcerer/archer. I'm 5'10 IRL and it doesn't feel particularly disorienting playing as her.
    Yet another indie games programmer.
    Upvote the change you want to see.
    Options
  • Vaerth
    Vaerth
    ✭✭✭✭
    The image posted by @Rosveen answers the question about as well as it's possible to answer it, far as I can see: shows the min and max heights across the board for the males, so you can directly compare.

Anyone know if there's a version for females, too?

I play the shortest possible wood elf female, and it works well for a stealth build, thief/crafter/sorcerer/archer. I'm 5'10 IRL and it doesn't feel particularly disorienting playing as her.

I am 5"11 in real life and want my character to be of similar height lol
    Pact Bloodwraith
    Options
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm 5'10 and most of my characters are tiny. :p As far as their race allows, anyway.
    Edited by Rosveen on March 17, 2015 7:24PM
    Options
  • cyqa
    cyqa
    ✭✭✭
    I've never really noticed height with my female bosmer. After reading this thread, though, I'm going to run around and stand next to other player characters and compare. :tongue:

So if a little lady bosmer runs up to you with a giant black cat, please don't step on me! I'm doing it for science!
    Options
  • Feannag
    Feannag
    ✭✭
    cyqa wrote: »
    I've never really noticed height with my female bosmer. After reading this thread, though, I'm going to run around and stand next to other player characters and compare. :tongue:

So if a little lady bosmer runs up to you with a giant black cat, please don't step on me! I'm doing it for science!

If you stand next to a maxed out Altmer - you do feel a bit small lol.
    Feannag
    Options
  • Vaerth
    Vaerth
    ✭✭✭✭

What if a maxed out Bosmer stands next to a maxed out Breton or Dunmer?
    Pact Bloodwraith
    Options
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vaerth wrote: »

What if a maxed out Bosmer stands next to a maxed out Breton or Dunmer?
    I'm tempted to test this out and post screenshots.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)