Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

Put the Imperial Edition and "Adventurer Pack" Benefits behind the Subscription

• AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »
    MrGhosty wrote: »
    "I WAS going to suggest that characters in other alliances become unusable if you unsubscribe but that just seemed kind of dirty. lol."

How would something like that be any "dirtier" than taking something originally used to encourage early adopters which was stated at the time would be truly exclusive not just a timed thing and making it easily available to anyone who subbed?

Yes ZOS has been making a habit of going back on their word, but if it continues to happen they will lose what little consumer faith is left, and on top of that begin alienating a potentially brand new audience. Seems like a good way to ensure poor sub performance.

As I said before, i'm all for providing more value and encouraging continued subscribers but this definitely isn't the way.

I'd venture to guess NEW players will feel MORE alienated by having no way to add the any race any alliance feature to their account than by having to subscribe to add the feature.

It's funny... in one thread I suggest that something as trivial as a TITLE be given to us pre buy to play subscribers and people go ape-**** over that because it's not fair to have a title that people have no way to get later.

In THIS thread I suggest that a feature that cannot be obtained later be added so players can take advantage of it from here on out and people hate the idea because some things need to remain exclusive to those that got it when it was available.

Peolple don't like your idea here because you taking away pre-order and IE benefits from players who have it now. I don't mind if new player buy any race in any alliance (let's call it ariaa - I tired to write full phrase all the time). But those who already have explorers pack and IE shouldn't be affected by any changes. ZOS can make it for only one character: you want your argonian in AD. You buy ariaa for one character, creating it and then you locked race-alliance again.
    Edited by AshySamurai on February 15, 2015 7:08AM
    Make sweetrolls, not nerfs!
    Options
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I WAS going to suggest that characters in other alliances become unusable if you unsubscribe but that just seemed kind of dirty. lol."

How would something like that be any "dirtier" than taking something originally used to encourage early adopters which was stated at the time would be truly exclusive not just a timed thing and making it easily available to anyone who subbed?

Yes ZOS has been making a habit of going back on their word, but if it continues to happen they will lose what little consumer faith is left, and on top of that begin alienating a potentially brand new audience. Seems like a good way to ensure poor sub performance.

As I said before, i'm all for providing more value and encouraging continued subscribers but this definitely isn't the way.

I'd venture to guess NEW players will feel MORE alienated by having no way to add the any race any alliance feature to their account than by having to subscribe to add the feature.

It's funny... in one thread I suggest that something as trivial as a TITLE be given to us pre buy to play subscribers and people go ape-**** over that because it's not fair to have a title that people have no way to get later.

In THIS thread I suggest that a feature that cannot be obtained later be added so players can take advantage of it from here on out and people hate the idea because some things need to remain exclusive to those that got it when it was available.

Peolple don't like your idea here because you taking away pre-order and IE benefits from players who have it now. I don't mind if new player buy any race in any alliance (let's call it ariaa - I tired to write full phrase all the time). But those who already have explorers pack and IE shouldn't be affected by any changes. ZOS can make it for only one character: you want your argonian in AD. You buy ariaa for one character, creating it and then you locked race-alliance again. And I hope you seen my proof links ^^

I am NOT suggesting that ANY features be taken away at all. I thought I was pretty clear in my OP when I said:
    Don't change the benefits for existing players that bought the Imperial Edition or preordered the game but remove the purchasable items from the Crown Store and require future players that didn't pre-order the game or buy the Imperial Edition to subscribe to gain these benefits.

Edited by Gidorick on February 15, 2015 7:10AM
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
    Options
  • Soulshine
    Soulshine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soulshine wrote: »
    Buying an upgrade has always been an option. There is a reason the cost of the upgrade was set where it is. Buying a one shot bonus like what you are talking about is quite different.

I do not agree that alienating players (any segment of players) is ever a good idea and should always be a factor when considering monetization of items; it is definitely something to be avoided, especially when you can get creative and find far better ways to make money (and more of it at that), which do not entail splitting hairs in the first place.

They chose to segment and alienate players when they chose to go Buy to Play. This ship has sailed and the fact that there are strong feelings about this suggestion (don't worry, that's all it will ever be) shows that this would a desirable addition to the subscription.

So why deliberately look for ways to make that worse? If you take people commenting negatively on this idea as proof it is desirable I'd say happy to disagree with that kind of sentiment.

What? Five people against thousands that would subscribe? These days on this forum I expect ANY post to get some people who are against or speak negatively against what OP says. Especially where the payment model is concerned.

That is not my meaning. S'ok. Keep at it. I am sure someone upstairs will decide to do some of what you are saying.
    Options
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buying an upgrade has always been an option. There is a reason the cost of the upgrade was set where it is. Buying a one shot bonus like what you are talking about is quite different.

I do not agree that alienating players (any segment of players) is ever a good idea and should always be a factor when considering monetization of items; it is definitely something to be avoided, especially when you can get creative and find far better ways to make money (and more of it at that), which do not entail splitting hairs in the first place.

They chose to segment and alienate players when they chose to go Buy to Play. This ship has sailed and the fact that there are strong feelings about this suggestion (don't worry, that's all it will ever be) shows that this would a desirable addition to the subscription.

So why deliberately look for ways to make that worse? If you take people commenting negatively on this idea as proof it is desirable I'd say happy to disagree with that kind of sentiment.

What? Five people against thousands that would subscribe? These days on this forum I expect ANY post to get some people who are against or speak negatively against what OP says. Especially where the payment model is concerned.

That is not my meaning. S'ok. Keep at it. I am sure someone upstairs will decide to do some of what you are saying.

lol. yea... I'm sure they will.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Options
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WILL THE IMPERIAL EDITION AND/OR EXPLORER'S PACK BE INCLUDED IN ESO PLUS?

The Explorer's Pack is a pre-order bonus, and the Imperial Edition items are exclusive to that version of the game. They will not be included in a membership to ESO Plus.
    lol! Found an answer without your plays with words. It won't be a part of ESO subscription.
    Edited by AshySamurai on February 15, 2015 7:35AM
    Make sweetrolls, not nerfs!
    Options
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WILL THE IMPERIAL EDITION AND/OR EXPLORER'S PACK BE INCLUDED IN ESO PLUS?

The Explorer's Pack is a pre-order bonus, and the Imperial Edition items are exclusive to that version of the game. They will not be included in a membership to ESO Plus.
    lol! Found an answer without your plays with words. It won't be a part of ESO subscription.

While I do think they really should reconsider, that just about answers that, doesn't it. :disagree:

SHUT IT DOWN!
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Options
  • Messy1
    Messy1
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Peolple don't like your idea here because you taking away pre-order and IE benefits from players who have it now. I don't mind if new player buy any race in any alliance (let's call it ariaa - I tired to write full phrase all the time). But those who already have explorers pack and IE shouldn't be affected by any changes. ZOS can make it for only one character: you want your argonian in AD. You buy ariaa for one character, creating it and then you locked race-alliance again.

Players who want to play any race any faction should have to pay current players with that benefit like 50k gold and players would be able to sell something like that every 7 days and it should have some sort of ambassador achievement . . . maybe, yes?
    Options
  • richfshrwb17_ESO
    richfshrwb17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    It wasn't until seeing this thread that I learnt that the explorer's pack is a pre-order exclusive bonus.

This was after resubscribing and picking up the explorer's pack for $2 and ZOS accepting my code for it despite them having no record of me being a pre-order customer (was in beta though).

I just thought it was like the Imperial Edition, game content I had to pay extra to access even though I was paying for a subscription already.
    Options
  • Digiman
    Digiman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [*] Create any race in any alliance: Players should be able to create any race in any alliance if they are a subscriber, but shouldn't lose access to those characters they created if they unsubscribe.

That was a limited time offer and good one, because being able to create any race for alliances at base is to damage to the lore of the game.
    Options
  • Bloodystab
    Bloodystab
    ✭✭✭✭
    Greate idea OP.

But what You gonna give to current IE owners? Nothing?

Im fine with this idea as long as u stop subscription and all Your Imperial characters are unable to play / deleted. Same with cross Race / Alliance. Dont forget about Imperial horse :smile:
    Edited by Bloodystab on February 15, 2015 12:26PM
    Options
  • Tuttebel
    Tuttebel
    ✭✭✭
    Create any race in any alliance as a pre-order only benefit even makes sense in a roleplayish way. People were scattered over the world before the wars began.
    Afterwards travel is more restricted and changing alliance would be frowned upon.

I don't see why it should be available to everyone and their sister at the moment.

Generation entitled at it's finest ...
    "lex parsimoniae"
    Options
  • ArconSeptim
    ArconSeptim
    ✭✭✭✭
    How you guys dont understand? It will be the same like it was with imperial edition.
    Now after one year the price is low, everyone can get it and there is realy no respect for people who paid the imperial edition one year ago and preordered.
    Options
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, this really has nothing to do with encouraging people to sub. Just someone who wants to just get the imperial edition and explorer pack benefits just for subbing.

Got it.
    Options
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I wish that ZOS hadn't linked the play any race for any alliance to pre-orders only but they have and they have been very clear that it will be the only way that it is offered.

I have no objection to Explorer's pack being sold on Crown Store, I always assumed that they would eventually allow people to buy it anyway (like the Imperial upgrade).

And yes I have the explorer's pack, and have had it since launch (I think I only have two characters with the correct race/alliance match, and one of them was by accident)
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
    Options
  • Laerania_ESO
    Laerania_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    People like you give these companies the reason to not respect their own words, slap customers and lose credibility.

Pre-order items/perks are meant to be exclusive for people who pre-order, period.

Be glad that you can still apply a valid explorer code to your account. More serious companies don't allow this once the game has been launched.
    Edited by Laerania_ESO on February 15, 2015 4:45PM
    Options
  • Ysne58
    Ysne58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At this moment in time I'm feeling like I don't care. I always thought it should be play any alliance with any character. I'll admit I'm tired of ZOS lies. If they want my trust back they should start with an apology. My subscription runs out after March 17. So I have some time to test out the live version of TU before I decide whether to continue to subscribe. An apology would make me feel better.
    Edited by Ysne58 on February 15, 2015 4:59PM
    Options
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    So, this really has nothing to do with encouraging people to sub. Just someone who wants to just get the imperial edition and explorer pack benefits just for subbing.

Got it.

I have the Imperial Edition and Explorers Pack. So no, you don't get it.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Options
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People like you give these companies the reason to not respect their own words, slap customers and lose credibility.

Pre-order items/perks are meant to be exclusive for people who pre-order, period.

Be glad that you can still apply a valid explorer code to your account. More serious companies don't allow this once the game has been launched.

pretty much every preorder bonus on other games are released as DLC after the fact. If ZOS truly wanted it to be a preorder bonus I think they would have deactivated the codes shortly after launch.

Despite all that, ZOS has said the explorers pack will not be part of ESO+.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Options
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Relax, I just choose which battles to fight and which ones to ignore, and the explorer's pack is such a minor issue to me.

I'll admit I would be more bothered by it if I didn't have it, but I do, and thus it's a minor issue to me. Now if it was more game focused, like a unique spell or motif, or a reduction in some cost, then I would be protesting against the idea.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
    Options
  • Shadesofkin
    Shadesofkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Treasure maps have the suspicious feeling of lockboxes, which I'd prefer we don't see introduced.

Otherwise, I'd probably support Explorers Pack Unlock and Imperial Race Unlock in the subscription. (I too have both, I have gotten many months of enjoyment out of them)
    @shadesofkin -NA Server.
    Tier 2 Player.
    MagDK Main forever (even in the bad times)
    Options
  • Faugaun
    Faugaun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I and my wife have both explorer and imperial and support allowing these benefits behind the subscription.

I have seen many people saying "well why did I spend the money on those is anyone can get those benefits?" Simple you got those benefits and you don't have to sub to get them....everyone else will have to pay $15 a month to enjoy those perks...I would even suggest that if a sub uses those benefits then stops subbing the benefits should be disabled while sub is inactive (unless of course they got the preorder version).

These benefits do not diminish the value of my benefits in any way they just allow other people to access them who didn't arrive as early (provided they pay a monthly fee, which I will never be obligated to do for the same benefits...but I'm keeping my sub anyways).
    Options
  • Faugaun
    Faugaun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like this idea. I preordered IE so I have both bonuses. Now you want to make it absolutely wasted money.

So did I, mate. This suggestion is for the benefit of the game... not me, well not directly.

People would sub for these bonuses. That means more money in ZOS' pocket which means more money to make ESO... and in THAT way I would benefit.

There is still no excuse for action like this. You can't just steal customer's money. A lot of players bought IE. Also a lot of players preordered this game. And ZOS said that playing any race in any alliance will be only preorder bonus. That make people preorder game. Yeah, sure, they can change their mind in any moment, but in this case people will really go crazy. I support monthly treasure maps idea (I saw it some time ago), but to steal current bonuses is like an account nerf. These players didn't preordered, so I don't think they should get explorer's pack bonuses. You can still buy it on ebay (some say it's still available in Wal-Mart). Want it - search for it.

There are other ways to increase subscription value rather than taking away the bought bonuses from customers (actually you rob people).

@AshySamurai‌ they are not saying take it away from people who already have it, they are saying people who already have it get it with or without sub....but people who don't have it must sub to gain access for the duration of the sub. The original people have it all the time regardless....its not taking anything away from anyone just allowing other to access...and I think most would be fine with that.
    Options
  • Faugaun
    Faugaun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gotta say, some of the ideas in your other thread are much better than these, which do not exactly seem like any kind of incentive that would encourage long term subscribing to the game, especially considering that two of the above are things which one could easily get and keep after subscribing one day to the game, buying them in the store, and then canceling the sub.

Most people subscribing have fairly proven that they didn't care as much about horses, maps, and mara rings as they did about the issues over the pre-order bonuses of the Imperial and the Any Race Any Alliance. If you trivialize that even further by basically allowing people to buy one of these benefits for a 15 buck one month sub and then dumping the sub, I'd say you just put out yet another way to insult IE pre-order owners of this game even more than they already have been.

Or are you suggesting these things have a crown cost representing a certain dollar amount plus the sub price they pay?

PS: John Smeldy is full of poo.

I wasn't suggesting this but I like it! Have the any-race and Imperial be a TOKEN that can be bought in the crown store by subscribers only... 500C to create an Imperial... 500C to play in a different alliance.

That's a really interesting idea.

That is not what I meant. I mean you are talking basically about alienating a segment of the players for monetization of the game. Which yeah, is the reality we are in now. But there will be many IE owners who will never see this as acceptable, even if the bonuses were expensive for new players to get.

Do you really want to open that door?

Even if you did, you would have to attach a way signficantly higher crown value on top of the sub requirment for this, especially if canceling the sub later does not affect it. So it would in effect be a "whale of a purchase" on par with IE. (whale pun intended :p) As such it might make it sting less for some people... doubt it though, really.

@soulshine I think if you sub then make a khajiit on ebon heart pact then unsub, you cannot login to that character until you resub...so you only have the bonus with an active sub....(but you should also be able to purchase additional character slots beyond the 8 if you choose, and this should not require sub....this combo allows me to stop subbing lose the race benefit but still play as many characters as I want, so if I subbed and made 8 character that fall under this rule I can still login buy a new slot and make a character that has a race matching the faction and play).
    Options
  • Soulshine
    Soulshine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faugaun wrote: »
    I gotta say, some of the ideas in your other thread are much better than these, which do not exactly seem like any kind of incentive that would encourage long term subscribing to the game, especially considering that two of the above are things which one could easily get and keep after subscribing one day to the game, buying them in the store, and then canceling the sub.

Most people subscribing have fairly proven that they didn't care as much about horses, maps, and mara rings as they did about the issues over the pre-order bonuses of the Imperial and the Any Race Any Alliance. If you trivialize that even further by basically allowing people to buy one of these benefits for a 15 buck one month sub and then dumping the sub, I'd say you just put out yet another way to insult IE pre-order owners of this game even more than they already have been.

Or are you suggesting these things have a crown cost representing a certain dollar amount plus the sub price they pay?

I wasn't suggesting this but I like it! Have the any-race and Imperial be a TOKEN that can be bought in the crown store by subscribers only... 500C to create an Imperial... 500C to play in a different alliance.

That is not what I meant. I mean you are talking basically about alienating a segment of the players for monetization of the game. Which yeah, is the reality we are in now. But there will be many IE owners who will never see this as acceptable, even if the bonuses were expensive for new players to get.

Even if you did, you would have to attach a way signficantly higher crown value on top of the sub requirment for this, especially if canceling the sub later does not affect it. So it would in effect be a "whale of a purchase" on par with IE. (whale pun intended :p) As such it might make it sting less for some people... doubt it though, really.

@soulshine I think if you sub then make a khajiit on ebon heart pact then unsub, you cannot login to that character until you resub...so you only have the bonus with an active sub....(but you should also be able to purchase additional character slots beyond the 8 if you choose, and this should not require sub....this combo allows me to stop subbing lose the race benefit but still play as many characters as I want, so if I subbed and made 8 character that fall under this rule I can still login buy a new slot and make a character that has a race matching the faction and play).

K...? Does not change anything I was referring to in the OP so not sure why this is directed at me.
    Options
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Treasure maps have the suspicious feeling of lockboxes, which I'd prefer we don't see introduced.

Otherwise, I'd probably support Explorers Pack Unlock and Imperial Race Unlock in the subscription. (I too have both, I have gotten many months of enjoyment out of them)

You're right about the lock boxes.... I just personally love treasure maps! Trying to find locations, pulling my hair out because I can't find them then the 'ah-ha' moment when you finally find it! It's great. I wouldn't care what I got. The hunt is the fun!
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Options
  • Faugaun
    Faugaun
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Im saying if they unsub they should lose benefits until sub is active again, not be allowed to sub make khajiit EP, unsub ...play khajiit EP without sub....so responding to you and the canceling sub comment.
    Options
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I and my wife have both explorer and imperial and support allowing these benefits behind the subscription.

I have seen many people saying "well why did I spend the money on those is anyone can get those benefits?" Simple you got those benefits and you don't have to sub to get them....everyone else will have to pay $15 a month to enjoy those perks...I would even suggest that if a sub uses those benefits then stops subbing the benefits should be disabled while sub is inactive (unless of course they got the preorder version).

These benefits do not diminish the value of my benefits in any way they just allow other people to access them who didn't arrive as early (provided they pay a monthly fee, which I will never be obligated to do for the same benefits...but I'm keeping my sub anyways).

Thanks for that perspective. I didn't consider looking at it this way. This is totally how I was thinking it would work but I wasn't viewing it from the pov of a non-subscriber WITH an explorers pack.
    Edited by Gidorick on February 17, 2015 4:56PM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Options
  • Streega
    Streega
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tuttebel wrote: »
    Create any race in any alliance as a pre-order only benefit even makes sense in a roleplayish way. People were scattered over the world before the wars began. Afterwards travel is more restricted and changing alliance would be frowned upon.

This is my only real problem with buying "ariaa", it's lore-breaking. You can call me a nerd, but imagine Skyrim flooded with Khajits and Redguards or Auridon full of Nords. Especially during this war.
    On the other side I know the real world is driven by money, so I wouldn't mind if the new subscribers could buy an option to have ONE "ariaa" character, and ONLY during the subscription. I think it would encourage people to subscibe and would be less upsetting for "preorder" owners like me. Treasure Maps? Meh, it's usually trash anyway. As for the IE pack - no problem here, put it in the Crown Store for everybody... oh wait, they already did :wink:
    ⊂( ̄(工) ̄)⊃ Don't-Care-Bear ⊂( ̄(工) ̄)⊃
    PC EU "House Tertia" - Friendly Guild for Mature Folks (housetertia.com)
    PC EU "Priests of Hircine" - Awesome Guild for Friendly Werewolves (free bites!)
    Member of "Guild Masters United"
    Master Angler
    Options
  • Soulshine
    Soulshine
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Im saying if they unsub they should lose benefits until sub is active again, not be allowed to sub make khajiit EP, unsub ...play khajiit EP without sub....so responding to you and the canceling sub comment.

The OP was already proposing that.
    Options
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally think the Rings of Mara ALONE would cause many a player to sub up.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Options