Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/667080
•[COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 9, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/667081

Grocers and the change in ingredient prices

HeroOfEvbof
HeroOfEvbof
✭✭✭
First - 150g for each ingredient? A blue food would cost 112g per food unless you specifically raid bandit dungeons or risk being killed by guards? That's bonkers!!!!

Second - Do you have any idea how esoteric the location of most grocers are? Hell, Bangkorai doesn't even have a grocer after you complete the Kerbol's Hollow quest. The guy marked grocer in Evermore in Patch 1.6 was totally bugged. Its my job for my guild to memorize the location of grocers and let me tell you - this is a very hard task. Is the grocer for Reaper's March in Rawl'kha - nope. He is in Dune, which a normal adventurer doesnt get to until the very end of the Reaper's March quest line. Don't even get me started on the grocer in Sentinel who is no where near anyplace that makes sense.

Third - will "Old Saaz Hops" be vendorable for 150g or 10g? In other words, are you going to turn our long fought for stores of ingredients into mere compost or at least throw us a bone?
apud me omnia fiunt Mathematicè in Natura - Rene Descartes
  • Kalman
    Kalman
    ✭✭✭✭
    150g is stupid. 50g sounds about right. I assume all old ingredients will sell for 150g now to match the price of new ingredients.
  • Max2497
    Max2497
    ✭✭✭
    The reason for 10g per item was for us to buy new ingredients to replace the stale. Assuming that all new ingredients are available from the grocers for 150g each, then our stale ones should be 150g each. That would be fair.
  • HeroOfEvbof
    HeroOfEvbof
    ✭✭✭
    I make no such assumptions. I don't know where this 150g price came from. Since I have no frame of reference as to why this change was made, I make no assumptions that it will self-correct.

150g for Isenglass? How do I loot Isenglass? Its fish bladder. What does the graphics for fish bladders look like?
  • vovus69
    vovus69
    ✭✭✭✭
    whoever is online now - could you please check with stores after the update how much does old stuff cost? 10g ea or 150g ea if you want to sell?
    "If I'll need your opinion, I'll give one to you" - Rivenspire
  • Max2497
    Max2497
    ✭✭✭
    I make no such assumptions. I don't know where this 150g price came from. Since I have no frame of reference as to why this change was made, I make no assumptions that it will self-correct.

150g for Isenglass? How do I loot Isenglass? Its fish bladder. What does the graphics for fish bladders look like?

Isenglass is found in barrels. I've found them in Craglorn
  • nikolaj.lemcheb16_ESO
    nikolaj.lemcheb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 150 cost is because you need 4 items to complete a provisioner writ that give you 600 gold in reward.

So instead of fixing the writ they made mats extremely expensive......

Whoever came up with those writs should be ashamed, they are becoming the light attacks of crafting.
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wow. What was the reason behind going from 10g to 150g per ingredient? That's a huge jump. Yes 10g was low, but 150 is very high and it is punitive to those crafters who spend most of their time in cities and don't want to steal (because virtually everything in cities is owned) I agree that 50g each would be a more fair price.

I can't check my characters because I'm on NA but old ingredients will also sell for 150g right? If it's going to stay this way I guess it's time to hoard ingredients to sell. The new players will be at a huge disadvantage though.
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
  • vovus69
    vovus69
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agree - any junk will give you 15k per stack. But we need confirmation from those who are playing in EU...
    "If I'll need your opinion, I'll give one to you" - Rivenspire
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    150g is more than double current grocer price of 63g, so a very big jump. However, there is no longer any need to rely on grocers, since all foods except Frost Mirriam and Bervez Juice can be looted. And those two are not available through grocers. Can't get into PTS yet to check price on old ingredients, but will asap.
    Edited by Ourorboros on February 5, 2015 5:29AM
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • LtCrunch
    LtCrunch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ourorboros wrote: »
    150g is over double current grocer price of 67g, so a very big jump.
    FTFY

NerdSauce Gaming
    Laughs-At-Wounds - Sap tanking since 03/30/14
    ßrandalf - Light armor tanking since 03/03/15
    Brandalf Beer-Belly - Tanking drunk since 12/30/16

• alkoriak
    alkoriak
    ✭✭✭
    You can vendor the old ingredients at 10g each, same as before. There must be some twisted logic behind this decision :(. Also the reason given in the patchs notes as to why grocers don't sell all ingredients (like in patch 1.6) can work in real life but not relevant in a video game.
  • HeroOfEvbof
    HeroOfEvbof
    ✭✭✭
    I have spent a considerable amount of effort helping my guild members get to Prov Rank 48. I have seven toons of my own plus at least 18 guild members that I collected recipes and materials so that they could hit Prov Rank 48 with only about 12 minutes of time (80 level 15, 60 lvl 25 and lastly 80 lvl 35)
    This can vary a little but it in this ball park park. I pull this off because I never ever pay more than 10g per ingredient in a kiosk. I bargain hunt after every kiosk turnover day and usually just before kiosk turnover. With just under 4,400 investment, if not significantly less, I can help a guildie get to rank 48 in provisioning and from there they can unlock hirelings as they acquire the skill points.
    If ingredients cost 150g each, the investment is going to 66,000g per guildie. Maybe ingredients will be available in kiosks for less (ever seen Pinguis sell for 220g each in a kiosk and go WTF), nonetheless keeping my guild covered in terms of cooked food 24/7 is going to cost close to 60,000g per cook.
    Make no mistake - I have ranked up three blacksmiths, two clothiers and two woodworkers by buying materials cheap (770g or less per stack of a veteran material) and 66,000 is just short of the investment to get to rank 32 and the 3/3 hireling. But the payoff of gear hirelings is of much greater importance than food.
    Is 4,400 a drop in the bucket to unlock a decent flow of Frost Miriam? Yep. But 66,000g is ludicrous.
  • HeroOfEvbof
    HeroOfEvbof
    ✭✭✭
    Can someone confirm that "Old Whatever" is vendorable for 10g?
  • HeroOfEvbof
    HeroOfEvbof
    ✭✭✭
    BTW: On Update 6 live day, what will happen to everything in guild stores?
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won't be buying foods from grocers. Too much of a dent in my already small profits. I'll be levelling up thieving on Santie Claws and any food items she gets will go in the bank for my provisoner Wenxue. Luckily having been playing since launch and having been looting every bit of food I can find I already have a reasonable amount of things to get me going at the start.

I would spend the time between now and live looting every crate you see if you are a provisioner and possibly even if you are not because ingredients will sell better on guild stores if the price at the grocers remains crazy high.
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • Alphashado
    Alphashado
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I started a thread about this right after 1.6.1 and nobody posted on it and it sank lol.

Anyways, it seems like the grocers are just like they used to be, They are only carrying ingredients that will be 1/2 1/3 1/4 etc. Many of the items that used to be on the grocer like poultry aren't even there. The chefs and brewers are only carrying premade food and drink. So we are going to have to find provisioning mats out in the wild or risk the guard's wrath and pillage them in town or on the docks like we used to. And the Grocer just sells that one ingredient we need like the old ones did. i/e Imperial Stock etc.

I knew it was gonna ruffle some feathers as soon as I noticed it in the patch notes.
    Edited by Alphashado on February 4, 2015 7:57AM
  • Sigtryggr
    Sigtryggr
    The old ingredients are still vendorable for 10g. I just made a provisioning writ and got a new green recipe and 3 different ingredients including 10 bananas which are 150g each at the grocer.

I think it is a good change, this way you have to commit to the trade and store some of the ingredients. If the ingredients were too cheap anyone could make a profit from the writs very easily, without having any storage space invested.
  • HeroOfEvbof
    HeroOfEvbof
    ✭✭✭
    I would like comment from ZoS - if "Old Whatever" are vendorable of 10g, is this an oversight or do you honestly think 10g "provides value" compared to a new pricing scheme of 150g (or in the case of ingredients not available at a grocer - whatever the market can bear)
  • Xexpo
    Xexpo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    XnNWhre.jpg
    Kiki Dickson ~~~ Dixmanian Devil ~~~ Cornelius Buckshank Jr.
    Histy-Fitz ~~~ Boozemer ~~~ Chace X'expo
    Lluvia De'Fuego ~~~ Shakes Spear
    Macro and Cheese NA/PC
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would like comment from ZoS - if "Old Whatever" are vendorable of 10g, is this an oversight or do you honestly think 10g "provides value" compared to a new pricing scheme of 150g (or in the case of ingredients not available at a grocer - whatever the market can bear)

If it is the case that old ingredients will sell for 10g while the new ones are purchased for 150 that is indeed a reversal of what we were told during development - but actually very much to be expected given the company's track record.
  • Pyatra
    Pyatra
    ✭✭✭
    Craft as much food as possible before the switch over. That's all I got to say.
  • tnliverpool
    tnliverpool
    ✭✭✭
    They really can't make the old stuff sell for 150 gold. All you would need to do is stock up on the cheaper stuff on live, wait for 1.6 to fully launch and profit. Now, they could make the purchasable ingredients, pinguis and the likes, sell for the same amount as purchased on live and make the dropped ingredients, pepper for example, sell for more.

My strategy, I am using as much of my "old" stuff as possible. Really only the pepper. I am sitting on like 400 Consummate Honey Brittle which turns into one of the VR10 foods. Should be good for awhile I think.
  • Thavie
    Thavie
    ✭✭✭✭
    Slurg wrote: »
    If it is the case that old ingredients will sell for 10g
    They are.
    "We grew under a bad sun"
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Third - will "Old Saaz Hops" be vendorable for 150g or 10g? In other words, are you going to turn our long fought for stores of ingredients into mere compost or at least throw us a bone?
    Saaz Hops are so rare on Live right now, even more than tomatoes and oats. It's sad to see Old Saaz Hops worth 10g now. :disappointed:
    Wololo.
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It is sad to see so many things that used to be valuable becoming worthless in the new model (not just ingredients). Of course they can't give legacy players any kind of advantage over the new free players by having us load up on garbage ingredients to profit, but I had hoped (why do I still do that?) a more balanced solution could be found. It doesn't hurt me because I'm already rich, but it will force a lot of the newer and poorer players into a life of crime. Of course perhaps that is the intent. At least they will have the provisioning writs.

Guess I better get busy cooking. Any word yet on when this is going to drop?
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Like the rest of you, I'm not happy with the change to 150g for foods, and the change to brewers and chefs. On the positive side, both hirelings and writs give much larger amounts than they used to. And as long as old ingredients sell for 10g, I plan to loot everything and stuff all mules to the gills for a fast profit. Worthless items become worth 1000g/stack, and I've got a guild bank to fill.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sage of the Colouful Shirts said on the chat thing on Tamriel Foundry that 1.6 would go live before the B2P introduction on March 17. He didn't say when exactly though. So maybe around March 15 at a gloomy guess?
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • HeroOfEvbof
    HeroOfEvbof
    ✭✭✭
    There was no advantage to being a long time player when the ingredient price was 10g. The only advantage for long time players is that they absolutely knew that had to cook off all their pepper.
    Jump in a kiosk the last week and a half. Everything was selling for 6g to 14g each. The stuff selling for 6g was stuff like Hops, Hallertau Hops, Snowberry - stuff which any true provisioner is receiving 10 per week from their hirelings (my guild is sitting on close to 2000 each of Hops, Snowberry, Barley, Potato - I havent bothered dropping them on the floor yet and certainly wont bother posting them for 100g per stack)
    Even broth/flour had come down in price to around 14g each as compared to the 23g they were through much of the fall and winter. Things that are scheduled to go old came up in price - plump worms and shornhelm grains went from around 2g each to 6g each.
    Everything economically seemed fine - new players would have been able to buy isenglass and some such pretty easy - ranking up a new provisioning toon to unlock 3/3 hireling would cost about 4400 - an easy amount to acquire on your way to level 35 (which is when purple food comes into play).
    But 66,000 to get to prov rank 48? Pure insanity. The other crafts are quite expensive to get to 3/3 hireling - but the value of temper alloy in actually game function is two orders of maginitude more important than Frost Mirriam.
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sage of the Colouful Shirts said on the chat thing on Tamriel Foundry that 1.6 would go live before the B2P introduction on March 17. He didn't say when exactly though. So maybe around March 15 at a gloomy guess?

I expect it will go live by the end of the month. That will give ZOS a few weeks to clean it up before March 17. We enter the ESO drought (or winter, if you prefer) on that day as we are going to be stuck with a comatose game for almost three months after that.
  • Ommamar
    Ommamar
    ✭✭✭✭
    I won't be buying foods from grocers. Too much of a dent in my already small profits. I'll be levelling up thieving on Santie Claws and any food items she gets will go in the bank for my provisoner Wenxue. Luckily having been playing since launch and having been looting every bit of food I can find I already have a reasonable amount of things to get me going at the start.

I would spend the time between now and live looting every crate you see if you are a provisioner and possibly even if you are not because ingredients will sell better on guild stores if the price at the grocers remains crazy high.

One thing I noticed while leveling ledgermain was all the ingredients I was finding in halls and houses where for drinks. Maybe you have to hunt and fish to get meat for food? It seemed unbalanced to me compared to the loot spread currently on live for containers.