Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

Motifs Sold Via Crown Store.

• Chrithu
    Chrithu
    ✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    So on ESO live tonight it seems ZOS announced that Motifs would indeed eventually come to the Crown Store.

... all the important items you wanted were moved to the store instead of taking meaningful gameplay to achieve. :disappointed:

Wait what??? So grinding gold or mindlessly farming cupboards and trunks for hours and hours is meaningful gameplay??? Getting the motifs together is a huge pain in the ass, because it is no fun at all.

Getting them in the crown store is the cheap solution. The better solution of course would have been to create actual gameplay to get the motifs. Like learning the stuff by looting and researching armor/weapons from certain mobs.

Seriously. In my view any change to how one can get his hands on the motifs is a huge improvement on how they currently work.
    Options
  • Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chrithu wrote: »
    So on ESO live tonight it seems ZOS announced that Motifs would indeed eventually come to the Crown Store.

... all the important items you wanted were moved to the store instead of taking meaningful gameplay to achieve. :disappointed:

Wait what??? So grinding gold or mindlessly farming cupboards and trunks for hours and hours is meaningful gameplay??? Getting the motifs together is a huge pain in the ass, because it is no fun at all.

Getting them in the crown store is the cheap solution. The better solution of course would have been to create actual gameplay to get the motifs. Like learning the stuff by looting and researching armor/weapons from certain mobs.

Seriously. In my view any change to how one can get his hands on the motifs is a huge improvement on how they currently work.

Or Certain motifs/ recipes earned as quest rewards
    That which we obtain to cheap we esteem to lightly, it is dearness only that gives everything its value.

-Thomas Pain

Options
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iago wrote: »
    Chrithu wrote: »

Or Certain motifs/ recipes earned as quest rewards

Quest Rewards
    Dungeon Boss Drops
    Team Based World Boss Drops
    Trials Drops

Anything which means it takes playing the game to earn them rather than picking up the credit card.
    Edited by Turelus on February 1, 2015 5:37PM
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
    Options
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MornaBaine wrote: »
    That isn't what they said.

They said there will be new motifs with the DLC. The DLC is on the Crown store. The Motifs are a PART of the DLC.

This is correct. We are currently discussing having some motifs available as part of future DLC. Whether or not we will offer them by themselves has not yet been decided.

Re-reading this, what it looks like is that you have ALREADY decided that there will be new Motifs in the DLC areas and those motifs will NOT be available in the areas that already exist in the game. Thus, you are forcing crafters to either sub or purchase the DLC in order to have access to the Motifs. Because if they do not they will not be able to remain competitive with other crafters who are willing to drop the cash. It's pretty much the same thing as selling them in the store. Don't do this. If you add new motifs they need to drop in all the areas that the currently existing motifs do. This is the slippery slope ZOS....I am disappointed to see you are already set to merrily bobsled down it. :neutral_face:

I disagree. Of course there should be things in the DLC areas that you can't get elsewhere in the game. Are you going to claim that any item given as a quest reward in the DLC areas should also be given as a quest reward in the existing areas? New areas need to have new items and as they get traded they will move around the game world. There has to be some sort of incentive to buy new content otherwise everyone would literally choose to play for free and the game would go bust.
    Edited by Tandor on February 1, 2015 6:28PM
    Options
  • JamilaRaj
    JamilaRaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    I disagree. Of course there should be things in the DLC areas that you can't get elsewhere in the game. Are you going to claim that any item given as a quest reward in the DLC areas should also be given as a quest reward in the existing areas? New areas need to have new items and as they get traded they will move around the game world. There has to be some sort of incentive to buy new content otherwise everyone would literally choose to play for free and the game would go bust.

True, true, DLC absolutely has to be P2W in order to bring revenue.
    Options
  • Alphashado
    Alphashado
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Here it is in a nutshell:

Hunting/finding/using/selling Motifs is one of the truly rare and unique things about ESO that many people appreciate. If they go into the Cash Store, it detracts from the charm immensely. It would be a perfect example of how little things like this add up over time and slowly but surely kill a game.
    Edited by Alphashado on February 1, 2015 7:18PM
    Options
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JamilaRaj wrote: »
    Tandor wrote: »

True, true, DLC absolutely has to be P2W in order to bring revenue.

Nothing I said has anything remotely to do with P2W.

If you want an item that drops in a DLC area and don't want to buy the DLC then look out for it on the Guild Traders, it'll be there soon enough.
    Options
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MornaBaine wrote: »

They said there will be new motifs with the DLC. The DLC is on the Crown store. The Motifs are a PART of the DLC.

This is correct. We are currently discussing having some motifs available as part of future DLC. Whether or not we will offer them by themselves has not yet been decided.

Re-reading this, what it looks like is that you have ALREADY decided that there will be new Motifs in the DLC areas and those motifs will NOT be available in the areas that already exist in the game. Thus, you are forcing crafters to either sub or purchase the DLC in order to have access to the Motifs. Because if they do not they will not be able to remain competitive with other crafters who are willing to drop the cash. It's pretty much the same thing as selling them in the store. Don't do this. If you add new motifs they need to drop in all the areas that the currently existing motifs do. This is the slippery slope ZOS....I am disappointed to see you are already set to merrily bobsled down it. :neutral_face:

Yes, and by putting new gear in DLC areas, they're technically making it pay-to-win! /sarcasm

If you don't want to pay, don't. But don't whine that you don't have access to the same content (yes, motifs are content) when you don't have the DLC that's required. It's like whining that you can't get the Dwemer motif without spending lots of gold or actually going into a Dwemer ruin.
    ----
    Murray?
    Options
  • Castielle
    Castielle
    ✭✭✭
    I guess the thing is , what would you rather have them put in the store? Cosmetic Motifs or actual items that effect gameplay? They are going to put things in the store that will be exclusive, that's how they will make their money. As long as it isn't something every player "must have" to be competitive in the game or in PvP then it shouldn't break the game.

Am I happy about a store? No, but I'd rather they sell Motifs then Armor Sets or Weapon Sets or faster Mounts etc.

Cas
    Options
  • WraithAzraiel
    WraithAzraiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    #CosmeticOnlyOrBye

IF the DLC is going to be comprised of new zones and content. Motifs are part of content.

Unless they say that the motifs are going to be bind on pickup or something stupid, you'll likely be able to get the new motifs through buying them off another player without having to pay real cash to actually use them.

Unless they lock it somehow.

Sooooooooo, cool your jets, lets see how they spin it before we grab the torches and pitchforks.
    Shendell De'Gull - V14 Vampire Nightblade

Captain of the Black Howling

"There's no such thing as overkill..."

"No problem on the face of the Earth exists what can't be fixed with the proper application of enough duct tape and 550 cord."

P2PBetaTesters
    #Tamriel_BETA_Team
    #BETA_TESTER4LYF
    DominionMasterRace
    #GOAHEADTHEYGOTCANDY
    #SEEMSLEGIT
    Options
  • wookiefriseur
    wookiefriseur
    ✭✭✭✭
    And now it happened :/

ezAQzQ9.png

Got mixed feelings about it and stand by my previous statement:
    Patros wrote: »
    I think there should not be any motifs in the crown store as crafters would be able to make ingame gold from it. Even if it wasn't shop exclusive or a hard to get motif, I wouldn't like to see it being sold there.

Motifs should stay something you have to farm and as the players progress, it becomes easier / cheaper to get the older motifs. No need to create an artificial shortcut that might gradually change things into a direction we don't want.
    Options
  • Calluna
    Calluna
    ✭✭✭
    At 5000 crowns for the rare motifs I really don't think a lot of people are going to be buying. At current rates that's about 35 bucks each for the Dwemer and Imperial books. And they are per character not per account so it would be quite expensive to outfit your crafters with all the motifs. Seems so pricey that not a lot of people are going pay cash for this.
    Options
  • Zershar_Vemod
    Zershar_Vemod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calluna wrote: »
    At 5000 crowns for the rare motifs I really don't think a lot of people are going to be buying. At current rates that's about 35 bucks each for the Dwemer and Imperial books. And they are per character not per account so it would be quite expensive to outfit your crafters with all the motifs. Seems so pricey that not a lot of people are going pay cash for this.

You forgot about the "OH SHINY!" crowd.

I miss games where you actually earned items.
    House Nyssara (NA)
    Black Market Traders
    Order of the Lamp Post
    Thorn Brigade
    VR15 Nightblade Vampire
    Options
  • McDoogs
    McDoogs
    ✭✭✭✭

Technically, unless you are stealing your money, milking an inheritance, or mooching off of someone, you are probably earning it in some way. So you if you get an item using earned money, you earned that item.
    Edited by McDoogs on April 14, 2015 2:25PM
    Options
  • Zargorius
    Zargorius
    ✭✭✭✭

I will go off and say that people who actually paid for items with their money, gained through hard work, have probably "earned" them more than those who just sat there playing countless hours. How about this for reasoning? Gaming is not a job, it doesn't earn you anything besides fun (hopefully).
    Honor is a dead man's code.
    Options
  • P3ZZL3
    P3ZZL3
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still not sure how the Rarest Item in the game is the same value as The Imperials. *shrugs* :D
    CP561 Redguard | Jabsy Templar | Stamina Build
    CP561 Breton | Jesus Beam Templar | Magicka Build Forever!
    CP561 Naked Nord | Tanky DK | Stamigicka Build

✭✭✭ Check ESO Server Status Live!: http://eso.webhub.eu/ ✭✭✭
    Options
  • albinokitten
    albinokitten
    ✭✭✭

If you do make motifs buyable (worst case scenario), can they be BoE? So then at least people with some gold in game can buy them.

I wish the pets/mounts/costumes on the store were already like this. >.<

Edit* Oh my, didn't realize Jessica had posted this in January...
    Edited by albinokitten on April 14, 2015 2:29PM
    Options
  • MCMancub
    MCMancub
    ✭✭✭✭

If you do make motifs buyable (worst case scenario), can they be BoE? So then at least people with some gold in game can buy them.

I wish the pets/mounts/costumes on the store were already like this. >.<

Edit* Oh my, didn't realize Jessica had posted this in January...

They've already stated that they will not be BoE. That would enable people to purchase gold with cash. None of us want that. The prices are so high in the crown store that the in-game market will hardly move at all. Those who would buy from the crown store will lower the supply to meet the new lower demand. Prices will remain where they are, most likely.
    Options
  • Sylvyr
    Sylvyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alphashado wrote: »
    Here it is in a nutshell:

Hunting/finding/using/selling Motifs is one of the truly rare and unique things about ESO that many people appreciate. If they go into the Cash Store, it detracts from the charm immensely. It would be a perfect example of how little things like this add up over time and slowly but surely kill a game.

Goodbye charm
    Hello Zo$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Badge: Wall-of-Text GRANDMASTER

PvP: Patch Vs. Player

ZoSence (n.):
    1) What is reasonable or comprehensive using ZoS logic. "That makes ZoSense"
    2) Making zero sense. "That makes ZoSense"
    Options
  • Weberda
    Weberda
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sadly this reminds me much of SWTOR and what killed that game for me, all the important items you wanted were moved to the store instead of taking meaningful gameplay to achieve. :disappointed:

LOL, what was "meaningful" about relog farming the banks? Because that was how I got all my motifs, including the purple ones, and it was BORING.

The Imperial motif was sold for cash from day one, so I don't see the big deal.

Exactly. And now they drop all over the place. The regular blues I put in the guild store for 200g. They last about 10 minutes. I sold a deadric in the store for 12k. If and when I run across any of the other so-called "rare" ones I wouldn't price them above 15k.

Fernwood, EP Haderus NA
    Lo Behold, AD Thornblade NA (formerly Haderus, inactive)
    Options
  • Rydik
    Rydik
    ✭✭✭✭
    46$ for Imperia and Dwemer motif!? You crazy!?
    Prices in shop become more crazy with every update...
    Edited by Rydik on April 14, 2015 4:44PM
    Options
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think my favourite part is them keeping it all hush hush until it's ready for live. If you give your players only a couple of days notice to rage about it you don't have to give into the pressure right?

I guess my thoughts about ZOS turning around and listening to the community was wrong. What's that old marketing thing, push the customers until you find the line where they really quit, then back step and keep poking at the line moving it forwards a little each time.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
    Options