Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

Motifs Sold Via Crown Store.

• frould
    frould
    ✭✭✭
    Story, some ppl think they need motifs to be alive.
    Options
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drawberrry wrote: »
    #CosmeticOnlyOrBye

Motifs are cosmetic only.

However they also allow players to make profit over those who don't have them.

Right now everything in the store is bound, while the motifs would be bound the items they make I doubt would be, meaning a player who spends RL cash technically now has a better gold income chance than someone who doesn't.

I fully believe ZOS will go ahead with this no matter what, their "cosmetic only and not pay to win" will only last until they see the profits they can make breaking that promise, then like all MMO's before them they will change their promise.

Sadly ZOS doesn't really have a good track record of not lying to their players, or trying to hide the truths from them, at least this is what this bitter vet feels. :disagree:
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
    Options
  • EQBallzz
    EQBallzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Akiija wrote: »
    For whatever this feedback is worth, ZOS, I implore you: Do not put any motifs directly into the Crown Store. Part of what makes the crafting economy worthwhile is this notion of manufactured scarcity. Items are rare and become gradually less rare through the market in-game exerting itself. Motifs become more commonplace, traits become learned, etc.

To me, putting a motif in the store for use, creation, and sale of items is akin to locking a research trait behind the Crown Store. Not because of function (because, being honest, a trait would have combat/gameplay implications where a motif doesn't) but in principle.

You are removing scarcity from the game for the sake of an immediate cash influx at the cost of removing items from the game that could shake up the in-game economy, motivate crafters to spend more time in-game, and let crafters feel as if they're working towards the ability to create new and unique armor styles.

Locking that behind a $5 payment robs it of any intrinsic importance to the crafting meta and works against the very system that you want working smoothly to encourage long-term sustainability. It is, by its nature, a slippery slope you do not want to tread on if you're hoping to engender confidence in your ability to keep ESO free of many of the pitfalls plaguing other F2P/B2P titles.

Couldn't agree more. This is the sort of thing that has me very wary of the future of this game. The fact that they can't even definitively say they won't sell this stuff piecemeal (not that I would even believe them anyway) tells me they will likely be selling them "a la carte" whether you buy the DLC or not. This will have an awful impact on the game and will be exactly what many are fearing with a system like this.
    Gemseed wrote: »
    They're not putting them directly in the crown store.

They're talking about new motif's being inside DLC that you would still have to find within the zone. Which frankly, makes a lot of sense. We do want new motif's, do we not?

What's the point of buying DLC/keeping a sub, if all players, free or not, can access all the same items.

The problem isn't that they will be in the DLC..the problem is they said they didn't know if they would also be available as separate items in the store outside the DLC. If they are saying they don't know that now..you can bet they probably do know because this stuff is planned out way ahead of time. Sort of like they didn't know about any other reason behind the removal of the 6 month subs other than "they didn't sell well" until the truth was revealed.

I think for those of us who prefer to just pay for the game up front and then get the full game..stuff like this is going to ruin it. Why even bother trying to collect things in game that might require hours and hours of farming or paying 30k gold or just being lucky when others are just buying it in the store?

If you are a crafter and can't offer every style but have to wait for some super rare drop while others just have to fork over 5 bucks it will put pressure on people to buy rather than play and that is exactly the problem with these systems. It completely subverts the game and the motivation to play the game as it was intended.
    Options
  • Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    #CosmeticOnlyOrBye

Maybe but they are a deciding factor for many who look for people to make armor for them.
    That which we obtain to cheap we esteem to lightly, it is dearness only that gives everything its value.

-Thomas Pain

Options
  • Razzak
    Razzak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iago wrote: »
    #CosmeticOnlyOrBye

Maybe but they are a deciding factor for many who look for people to make armor for them.

I think we can safely expect crafting to lose a large part of it's appeal as it will have to compete with cash shop. This will probably be just one of those things.
    Options
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Iago wrote: »
    #CosmeticOnlyOrBye

Yeah, because of how the Armour looks, that's a dictionary definition of Cosmetic right there.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
    Options
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That isn't what they said.

They said there will be new motifs with the DLC. The DLC is on the Crown store. The Motifs are a PART of the DLC.

This is correct. We are currently discussing having some motifs available as part of future DLC. Whether or not we will offer them by themselves has not yet been decided.

Please DON'T. While I realize Motifs are "cosmetic only" it is absolutely wrong to make crafters take the hit of being forced to buy them in order to remain competitive with other crafters. I can see why you'd feel it would make sense to add Motifs to new DLC zones and have them only be able to be found in those zones. BUT... I can find Elven motifs in the Daggerfall Covenant. I can find the Redguard Motif in the Aldermi Dominion. This is the way it needs to STAY. Anything else just looks like another petty cash grab. Don't do it.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Options
  • Elloa
    Elloa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

They said there will be new motifs with the DLC. The DLC is on the Crown store. The Motifs are a PART of the DLC.

This is correct. We are currently discussing having some motifs available as part of future DLC. Whether or not we will offer them by themselves has not yet been decided.

If it's not been decided yet :) : PLEASE, not motif a la carte in the CashShop. Motif is fun as DROP! To be able to purchase them will remove the excitement and the micro economy to find them directly in game.
    Options
  • Circuitous
    Circuitous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Circuitous wrote: »
    In seriousness... I'm fine with motifs being on the Crown Store, but I'd still rather they not be.

I marked up your statement with how it looks to a manager (aka Producer) when they read it.

Gee thanks, I was wondering why I picked that exact wording. It came to me in a dream, you see. My grasp of the English language is mediocre at best. I really appreciate what you've done for me here.
    Thank Stendarr it’s Fredas.
    Elanirne: Altmer Templar Healer, DC
    Auria Dolabella: Imperial Nightblade Tank, DC
    Options
  • Exstazik
    Exstazik
    ✭✭✭✭
    THe idea is not bad if players can WTT motifs on Crowns ^^
    Edited by Exstazik on January 31, 2015 1:44PM
    Options
  • ArconSeptim
    ArconSeptim
    ✭✭✭✭
    This Crown store will not ruin my gameplay if it sells cosmetic things which don't give other players advantage as far as it is like that.
    Options
  • Zershar_Vemod
    Zershar_Vemod
    ✭✭✭✭✭

By the Eight, never offer them by themselves!

Keep them to new region unlocks, etc. via DLC...
    House Nyssara (NA)
    Black Market Traders
    Order of the Lamp Post
    Thorn Brigade
    VR15 Nightblade Vampire
    Options
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

By the Eight, never offer them by themselves!

Keep them to new region unlocks, etc. via DLC...

Well, I think they will drop there as well.

But if they are like the Dwemer Motif, I think I may think about buying them. (not going through that for every new zone)
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Wizard's tenth rule
    Options
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only one who doesnt care what the armor looks like? I never understood motif farming. I do not care what I look like. I only care what stats the armor gives me.
    Options
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am I the only one who doesnt care what the armor looks like? I never understood motif farming. I do not care what I look like. I only care what stats the armor gives me.
    I doubt you're the only one, however as a crafter I have had many people ask for very specific looks and only wanting those looks.
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
    Options
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I think they will drop there as well.

But if they are like the Dwemer Motif, I think I may think about buying them. (not going through that for every new zone)

Buying from players in game for gold who have extras or farm them to make gold sure, this is what keeps the econamy going with people buying and selling items.
    Buying for crowns though devalues the item gold wise (if it's a game drop as well) or just means you have to spend RL cash on it.
    Options
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Not the only person, but quite a lot of us choose armour styles based on the looks.

I have been trying to farm the Dwemer motif today (first time I tried farming anything), but all I got was a Babaric Motif, which hopefully will help me buy the dwemer chapters I need. (now all I need is a ton of Dwemer scrap for the Racial stones (dwemer Frames)).
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Wizard's tenth rule
    Options
  • Vizier
    Vizier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not an issue. It effects me not. Shrug. It's with the DLC. Nothing to get worked up over.
    Options
  • Exstazik
    Exstazik
    ✭✭✭✭
    The main gold income i've received from:
    -motif,potions,resins-all was nerfed by ZOS in 1.6.

Options
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Exstazik wrote: »

I'll still be buying motifs, materials and tempers in game, I'm not buying things with cartel coins if I can get them for gold.
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Wizard's tenth rule
    Options
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I'll still be buying motifs, materials and tempers in game, I'm not buying things with cartel coins if I can get them for gold.

You'll be paying more for motifs. With the justice system its harder to get them. Plus some prime farming spots had the containers all set to open.
    Options
  • Wicked_Wolf
    Wicked_Wolf
    ✭✭✭✭

Including them in DLC's makes sense. Selling them individually would be an incredibly bad idea in my opinion. I really hope you guys decide not to do this. It hurts the integrity of the game in my opinion. I like the fact that it took me awhile to work up the funds to buy the purples I didn't have and the time it took me to find the ones in the landscape. You get satisfaction from that. If they are in the crown store; you lose that satisfaction whether you choose to buy them or not.

That's just my two cents.
    Options
  • Wolfsspinne
    Wolfsspinne
    ✭✭✭
    #CosmeticOnlyOrBye

Motifs ARE cosmetic only...
    Options
  • Bouvin
    Bouvin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't worry, they'll drastically nerf the drop rate too.

That along with making them all "stealable" items.

It's just another move to generate money from the cash shop. This is how these games do it, they nerf drop rates in game then put them in the cash shop for "convenience" but really the cash shop is the only way to get them.
    Options
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You'll be paying more for motifs. With the justice system its harder to get them. Plus some prime farming spots had the containers all set to open.

Yeah, fortunately I have all but Dwemer on my main crafter, but with the nerf to stuff we get from hirelings I will probably end up buying Tempers like Mastic and Dreugh Wax.
    Edited by AlexDougherty on February 1, 2015 11:30AM
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Wizard's tenth rule
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing that would be pay to win would be ZOS adding full VR14 legendary gear with superior stats than anything in the game.

Or if they flat out pulled the gold upgrade mats from the game and then started selling them in the cash shop.

Though, honestly, with where this conversation has gone, I regret pointing out that the motif books themselves are borderline cosmetic. :\
    The only thing that would be pay to win would be ZOS adding full VR14 legendary gear with superior stats than anything in the game.

Or if they flat out pulled the gold upgrade mats from the game and then started selling them in the cash shop.

Though, honest

Not the only person, but quite a lot of us choose armour styles based on the looks.

I have been trying to farm the Dwemer motif today (first time I tried farming anything), but all I got was a Babaric Motif, which hopefully will help me buy the dwemer chapters I need. (now all I need is a ton of Dwemer scrap for the Racial stones (dwemer Frames)).

The barbaric came out of a dwarven ruin? I haven't seen normal motifs drop in those since about 1.3.
    Options
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Re-reading this, what it looks like is that you have ALREADY decided that there will be new Motifs in the DLC areas and those motifs will NOT be available in the areas that already exist in the game. Thus, you are forcing crafters to either sub or purchase the DLC in order to have access to the Motifs. Because if they do not they will not be able to remain competitive with other crafters who are willing to drop the cash. It's pretty much the same thing as selling them in the store. Don't do this. If you add new motifs they need to drop in all the areas that the currently existing motifs do. This is the slippery slope ZOS....I am disappointed to see you are already set to merrily bobsled down it. :neutral_face:
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Options
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The barbaric came out of a dwarven ruin? I haven't seen normal motifs drop in those since about 1.3.

Yeah, I was a bit peeved about that to be honest, if i'm going to get a purple motif out of a dwarven ruin it should be a dwemer chapter.
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Wizard's tenth rule
    Options
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    So on ESO live tonight it seems ZOS announced that Motifs would indeed eventually come to the Crown Store.

Sadly this reminds me much of SWTOR and what killed that game for me, all the important items you wanted were moved to the store instead of taking meaningful gameplay to achieve. :disappointed:

And there is why some of us hate cash shops.

Not dislike, literally hate.

New stuff tends to go there and not in the game where it should be.

SWTOR gets a new DLC once in a blue moon but the cash shop sees regular updates.

It's sickening.

This has all been announced as the future release schedule of ESO.
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
    Options
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While Motifs are cosmetic... the hunting for and use of motifs is a game mechanic that WILL be destroyed if motifs are sold in the Cash Shop.

The ONLY way I can see Crown Shop motifs not having a completely negative impact on this mechanic is if the motifs in the Crown Shop are exclusive to the Crown Shop. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing non-armor clothing motifs added to the Crown Shop and they only be available through there.

I think that would be a fair compromise.
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
    Options