The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for “Your Guide to ESO Plus™ Premium Membership”

• bebezed_ESO
    Miszou wrote: »
    Well that's an amazingly selfish attitude. I'm quite enjoying it, and I plan on enjoying it even more when I can get some new costumes and whatnot.

What a [...] attitude these paying players have.

Costumes *snort* Yeah, that'll make the game ever so much better! ;)

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Cursing & Profanity]
    Edited by ZOS_UlyssesW on February 9, 2015 6:27PM
  • shadoza
    shadoza
    ✭✭✭
    But....ESO is not going F2P, it is going Pay once, play free.
    ✭✭
    I'm supprise by all the negative comments. It's as if nobody has played a game on the consol before. Buy to play is the standard business model. Pay once for the game, pay for each additional DLC that you want. Exact same as TES and Fallout 3/NV. This is great news for everybody.
  • Ysne58
    Ysne58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is a "whale"?
  • bebezed_ESO
    Ysne58 wrote: »
    What is a "whale"?

It's someone who, instead of playing a game, throws ludicrous amounts of money at the game to "get ahead." Some spend thousands... I know a few who have spent over $40K on one game.

Once the whales beach themselves, it's game over...
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm supprise by all the negative comments. It's as if nobody has played a game on the consol before. Buy to play is the standard business model. Pay once for the game, pay for each additional DLC that you want. Exact same as TES and Fallout 3/NV. This is great news for everybody.
    B2P is the standard business model on every platform - but for single player games, which don't require constant upkeep of servers and have much shorter lifespans. It is not standard for MMOs; most of them are F2P, the big titles often going sub->F2P, but despite that "free" part they make a ton of money through microtransactions. It isn't exactly like single player TES games. Consider this: Oblivion's horse armor DLC was ridiculed for years, but it would work just fine in an MMO cash shop. These two types of games work a bit differently, so while this change is great news for a lot of people, it certainly isn't for everyone.
  • shadoza
    shadoza
    ✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »
    B2P is the standard business model on every platform - but for single player games, which don't require constant upkeep of servers and have much shorter lifespans. It is not standard for MMOs; most of them are F2P, the big titles often going sub->F2P, but despite that "free" part they make a ton of money through microtransactions. It isn't exactly like single player TES games. Consider this: Oblivion's horse armor DLC was ridiculed for years, but it would work just fine in an MMO cash shop. These two types of games work a bit differently, so while this change is great news for a lot of people, it certainly isn't for everyone.

The Secret World is an MMO, it is Buy to Play and they have a store. It is not Pay to Win as the store does not give significant advantages. It works well in TSW and can work well in TESO
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is a "whale"?

It's someone who, instead of playing a game, throws ludicrous amounts of money at the game to "get ahead." Some spend thousands... I know a few who have spent over $40K on one game.

I can't wait for the people who want to spend tons of money line up and complain that there is nothing to spend their money on, so they are going to go off to a game that will take their money.

We will see if ZeniBeth will be unable to resist the mating call of the whales. I understand that it is a powerfully motivating song.
    shadoza wrote: »
    The Secret World is an MMO, it is Buy to Play and they have a store. It is not Pay to Win as the store does not give significant advantages. It works well in TSW and can work well in TESO

I hope so. Looking at the big picture (larger than ESO) I am seeing a pattern forming here. This pattern will not require P2W items in the Crown Store. I just don't know (yet) if I am right.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Brank
    Brank
    ✭✭✭
    Zenimax,
    I'm all outta words for you.

It was fun all, GLORIOUS, UNPRECIDENTED PVP. It was an pleasure to fight alongside, and against you all. best of luck with your future mmo adventures.

-Face Beard

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Flaming]
    Edited by ZOS_ShannonM on February 10, 2015 9:36PM
  • confuuusedub17_ESO
    confuuusedub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    What is a "whale"?

$40k on one game? I don't think I have ever played any online game that I have seen that much stuff I wanted to purchase? Most expensive account I have seen was around $20k, but that was WoW and many years ago.

That is just amazing.
  • Nazon_Katts
    Nazon_Katts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is a "whale"?

$40k on one game? I don't think I have ever played any online game that I have seen that much stuff I wanted to purchase? Most expensive account I have seen was around $20k, but that was WoW and many years ago.

That is just amazing.

Club-Neverdie-in-Entropia-Universe-.jpg

You're looking at a $635k price tag...
    "You've probably figured that out by now. Let's hope so. Or we're in real trouble... and out come the intestines. And I skip rope with them!"
  • folklore
    folklore
    ✭✭
    Absolutely excited for this model to take place. Was a little iffy, but I've played games that made the swap and still enjoyed them. Faith still remains with the game, so I'll wait and see what happens. Can't judge something right away without seeing how it works out.
    :)

- derpchu
    DERPCHU@TWITCH
    POCKY | SORCERER | VR5 | ALDMERI
    FOLKLORE | NIGHTBLADE | VR5 | EBONHEART
    COOKIE | TEMPLAR | ?? | EBONHEART
  • Xersee
    Xersee
    Soul Shriven
    Did anyone else notice the F2P timing coincides with the XBOX and PS console launches in March, and that the console versions will be F2P ON RELEASE? Basically, Zenimax USED its loyal PC gaming fan base by charging them a subscription fee so that now they can offer a F2P on release to all console gamers!! Wow, what a huge slight to PC gamers!! And sorry to disappoint Zenimax, but we're not THAT stupid to continue to pay those same monthly fees for some crappy premium account - that is assuming we continue to play ESO at all as we have yet to see what the new F2P brings to the ESO's online PC environment.

Zenimax, if you have any sense of loyalty to us PC gamers, why don't you take some initiative and give us paid subscribers a loyalty bonus - something to make your F2P console launch more pallatable so we don't feel so slighted by this, e.gs., complimentary ELITE status or titles, free future DLC, a free large monthly crown/gold pension ...some reward so we could register in our gamer brains Zenimax's gratitude and appreciation for our loyalty and hard earned cash ... instead of the, "f*** y***" PC gamers and "HELLO" <big waves and smiles> to millions of console players who just got a F2P release, that we were just given.
  • Ysne58
    Ysne58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    XBONE and PS4 don't launch until June. Console will not be FtP, it's Buy to Play.
  • Whov
    Whov
    Soul Shriven
    Deleted
    Edited by Whov on March 17, 2015 11:39AM
  • Tizerak
    Tizerak
    ✭✭✭
    Glad I left months ago as we (now confirmed) were paying for an open beta.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around how the MMO I play the most currently (FFXIV ARR) has done way better then TESO?

FFXIV originally tanked... and then came! Yoshi P! and ARR was born in 8/2013 and has been a sub game (for console players too) ever since and has had a fairly regular update schedule with content catering to both the hardcore and casual players, and the first expansion Heavensward coming out in a few months.

TESO as for all of us that know that have played since release has fared... not quite as well; with the plethora of bugs at launch and class imbalances, etc. and now going (even though they said they wouldn't) a non-sub game.

Both games have the nostalgia player base hype (Final Fantasy v.s. Elder Scrolls) to bring in players. So.. what happened? Why has TESO not prospered when it had so much potential?

1. Both games have voice-acting (of course TESO has WAY more)
    2. Both have the nostalgia hype
    3. Both don't really suffer from "abillity bloat" like other MMO's
    4. I do like how I can have all classes on one character in FFXIV though, not all at once, you have to pick one for what you're doing and restrictions on when/where you can change it.
    5. Comparable graphics, though I would say FFXIV's combat animations (especially melee) are less... clunky?
    6. FFXIV has had a cash shop for several months now, but it's all cosmetic stuff that has already existed or gives you access to cosmetic stuff you have missed out on that you could have gotten in-game (the seasonal holiday event stuff).
    7. etc. etc. a bunch more comparisons but I don't want to drone on... too long..er than I already have.

I'm just trying to figure out what happened! I really REALLY wanted this game to succeed! I was really hyped a couple months ago when they announced Update 6 / Tamriel Unlimited. But as the time drew closer and more info was released the more reserved I felt, and after reading most of this thread... the majority of people that were in the same boat I am, or have been loyal players since release are... less than happy to say the least.

...Who knows? Maybe after "X" time we'll see The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - Nirn Reborn? :/
    Or it will go the way of the dodo *shrugs*, I really hope it doesn't though.
  • cle.werthmannb16_ESO
    cle.werthmannb16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I just stumbled upon this disussion about the change in ESO's business model, and it seems like most users that posted here rather see it as a change for the worse. But i feel like this is not necessarily representative for the whole community (and potential future community, including myself). Of course many of the people that form the current community are those who prefer the P2P model, since that's how it has been with this game up until now. But those have the strongest motivation to post their frustration about the change, and the players who don't mind a B2P model don't feel as much like they would have to discuss that topic on this forum. The Anti-B2P'ers claim that they can speak for the whole community when they criticise zenimax for their decision, since most of the posts here match their opinion, but i think that that is not the case. If you read the steam reviews on this game, for example, which should provide a more representative set of opinions on this game, you will find that a big part of the community is actually in favor of the B2P change. They state, for example, that because of this change, their friends will at last also buy the game and they will be able to play with them. As for me, I tested the game thoroughly in beta and liked it very much, but currently most of my time I spend studying for university, so i can never know how much time will be left to play video games during a month. Thus, I didn't want to pay a monthly fee for playing ESO only to realize that I couldn't even make good use of it. But now that the fee is gone, I will definitely buy and play the game whenever I have the time. And I look forward to that! Also, I am convinced that I am by far not the only one. So, to those who cause a big scene, because they think that zenimax would act against the wills of their community: I would like to remind you, that you can only speak for yourselves. You may be very disappointed and angry about the change, because you think that MMOs have to stay P2P to not get ruined in some way, but you do not really represent the whole current community, and definitely not the future community, that will then include people like me. It also doesn't seem to me that much like a great part of the new players will be trolls and such, since they would still have to pay once, only to engage in their stupid shenanigans, and there are many people just like me, who will love to constructively take part in a sociable game, now that they don't have to pay for it monthly.
  • cyberhazard_ESO
    cyberhazard_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I canceled my ESO plus subcription today and have uninstalled the game.

Thanks, but no thanks!
  • jasabo333b14_ESO
    jasabo333b14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I'm still excited. I don't see what's so wrong with this new model. Buy the game, play the game. If we no longer have to pay a monthly subscription fee, I'm happy! I still have faith in this game.
  • ylehavot
    ylehavot
    Soul Shriven
    I'm still excited. I don't see what's so wrong with this new model. Buy the game, play the game. If we no longer have to pay a monthly subscription fee, I'm happy! I still have faith in this game.

• Ironside
    Ironside
    ✭✭✭
    What I think is funny, most of the people saying "I'm out" "peace" "bleep this game, Blah blah blah" are either still playing right now or will be back down the road. I quit last year, a few months past beta because of an incomplete game and sub. Knowing I would eventually come back. This b2p model and all of the changes are awesome. Play the game and don't worry about other people. :)
    Edited by Ironside on April 3, 2015 5:55PM
  • Taget
    Taget
    Soul Shriven
    Ironside wrote: »
    What I think is funny, most of the people saying "I'm out" "peace" "bleep this game, Blah blah blah" are either still playing right now or will be back down the road. I quit last year, a few months past beta because of an incomplete game and sub. Knowing I would eventually come back. This b2p model and all of the changes are awesome. Play the game and don't worry about other people. :)

Same here... I Played for only a few months then just quit for the same reason... Right now I'm updating (Granted it's taking a long time), but I'm very hopeful for a good outcome to this ^_^
  • Sting864
    Sting864
    ✭✭✭✭
    After realizing that ESO is Buy to Play, not free to play, I revise my previous statement. B2P and F2P are in no way the same thing... This may, in fact, be a good thing, considering tESO's expansion into the console market. Additionally, the subscription fee is optional, so subscription advantages are still available...
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As there is no new content till after console launch my 180 day membership has been stopped 10 days out from renewal till you provide more value for money....
    PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
  • Kitdragon2015
    Kitdragon2015
    Soul Shriven
    DLC game pack content? They are making it to where you have to be a member to access certain DLC? And I think we have spotted the problem...but still. I'll give it a chance it is where all of the game's are going nowadays...next time think of a better benefit, like early access or something.
  • GS1981
    GS1981
    If i already have 25 days but no active membership (because i initially cancelled it, i like to pay when i want it, if i added another 90 days membership, would it add on to my 25 days i already have? so i have 115days plus 4500 crowns to the 1500 crowns i already have? (because i want to buy the expansion pass)
  • WhiteMage
    WhiteMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You necroed this thread for that?

The answer is no, if you have time active on your ESO+, you will not be charged for further time until it has elapsed. When your ESO+ does expire, if you have it still recurring, payment will be charged to you then and the 90 days will be added. If you have canceled it, you will not be charged unless you resubscribe.

If you buy the 90 version, you will never have more than 90 days left in your ESO+. Hope this helped.
    The generally amicable yet sporadically salty magplar that may or may not have 1vXed you in Sotha Sil. Who knows?
  • GS1981
    GS1981
    I 'used the search function', and this is what it gave me, ok so if i set up a reoccurring payment for every 90 days now whilst i have 25 days remaining, it wont work? is that what you are saying?
  • WhiteMage
    WhiteMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well they really do need to improve the search function. Most of the time I can't find the thread I was looking for even if I know which one it was...

That's is what I am saying: it won't work. AFTER 25 days, THEN it will charge you for 90 days, even if you resubscribe now. You will never be charged for ESO+ while ESO+ is active.
    The generally amicable yet sporadically salty magplar that may or may not have 1vXed you in Sotha Sil. Who knows?
  • GS1981
    GS1981
    Ah ok mate, thats what i will do then, i should have just done that in the first place but wanted to see if it was worth the money.
This discussion has been closed.