The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

How do you earn the title of Legate in the Alliance War?

• Jaerlach
    Jaerlach
    ✭✭✭
    MornaBaine wrote: »
    Zorrashi wrote: »
    Subtomik wrote: »
    The best dyes are PVP related because they actually take work lol.

Legate takes a lot of dedication to get, I saw someone celebrating in zone about hitting rank 24 and that seems like it was a year ago lol.

I understand that achieving Legate is a lot of work. And it should totally come with an awesome reward...like special armor. Giving a DYE for managing that is actually incredibly paltry. Insulting even.

But black is such a highly sought after color.......a special color.....a rare color....

Seems like a reward to me.

But a completely nonsensical one.

An achievement usually means the attainment of a dye in the current system. One that was partially implemented in order to encourage players to try out new content (not that colors means that much to many players).

Given that premise, it makes sense that one of the most highly sought after colors is given to a high-class achievement. Other similar, albeit, not quite the same shade black include Coldharbor Ash Black and Noxophillic Black. Is it really that important for you to have that particular shade? Ash black is actually pretty dark and is among the darkest of the blacks (but then again, maybe you are trying it on light armor or something?).

It would be pretty weird if the dye rewarded for legate was more like fighter's guild red or something instead.

YES, actually it IS that important to me to have the Legate's Black. If you read through this still pretty short thread you might have noticed that I explained that the other blacks, most of which are dull and some of which are not black at all but are, instead, GRAY. The Legate's Black is a gorgeous DEEP blue-black, MARKEDLY different from the Coldharbor Black. And there's no logical reason for it to be made impossible for me to get merely because of my preferred playstyle which is very light on PvP.

Why not? People who want adamantine silver and can't complete veteran DSA can't get it.

People who don't fish can't get those colors.

You should have to play the whole game to have everything. Choose to skip part of the game (pvp, trials, fishing, etc), choose to skip some rewards. That's the way it is.
    Jaerlach Kesepton (DK)
    The 7th Vanguard
    DC - NA first SO speed run & first Hardmode Speedrun
    NA Record Vet DSA: 11519
  • Zorrashi
    Zorrashi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Subtomik wrote: »
    The best dyes are PVP related because they actually take work lol.

Legate takes a lot of dedication to get, I saw someone celebrating in zone about hitting rank 24 and that seems like it was a year ago lol.

I understand that achieving Legate is a lot of work. And it should totally come with an awesome reward...like special armor. Giving a DYE for managing that is actually incredibly paltry. Insulting even.

But black is such a highly sought after color.......a special color.....a rare color....

Seems like a reward to me.

But a completely nonsensical one.

An achievement usually means the attainment of a dye in the current system. One that was partially implemented in order to encourage players to try out new content (not that colors means that much to many players).

Given that premise, it makes sense that one of the most highly sought after colors is given to a high-class achievement. Other similar, albeit, not quite the same shade black include Coldharbor Ash Black and Noxophillic Black. Is it really that important for you to have that particular shade? Ash black is actually pretty dark and is among the darkest of the blacks (but then again, maybe you are trying it on light armor or something?).

It would be pretty weird if the dye rewarded for legate was more like fighter's guild red or something instead.

YES, actually it IS that important to me to have the Legate's Black. If you read through this still pretty short thread you might have noticed that I explained that the other blacks, most of which are dull and some of which are not black at all but are, instead, GRAY. The Legate's Black is a gorgeous DEEP blue-black, MARKEDLY different from the Coldharbor Black. And there's no logical reason for it to be made impossible for me to get merely because of my preferred playstyle which is very light on PvP.

I read most of the thread so yes I know you consider ash black as a more "brown-black" more than anything else. But hardly is more grey than black. it easily tilts to the darker section of the two. I know its not the blackest black either. I'm just saying ash black could easily pass for a decent black given the circumstance.

Just like emperor's red is impossible to get unless you are emperor, or aetherial white is impossible to get unless you do trials, legate black is impossible to get unless you do PvP. Many dyes are in a similar circumstances because that's how the dye system was implemented. It gives a material reward in addition to a few achievement points that most don't really care for.

I don't really want to offend you, but making a big fuss over a few colors really seems.....silly in a few ways. The system is not likely to change because of the non-availability of a few sought after colors. ZOS decided to tie it to achievements, and while many do not like the decision, there is little reason to drastically change it by this point.

You can ask for other blacks to be included with the justice system or something. There are bound to be achievements tied to that right? Or what about champion system achievements? Spellcrafting?
  • ShadoPanauin
    ShadoPanauin
    ✭✭✭
    LonePirate wrote: »
    Oh geez, it WOULD have to be something totally ridiculous, wouldn't it? SIGH I'm SO resentful that nearly ALL of the best Dyes are linked to PvP achievements. most of which I will never see. :( Thanks for giving us PVEers teh shaft ZOS! :neutral_face:

What exactly is the difference between the black dye for the Legate rank and the black dye for completing the Comdharbour quests or the one for mastering vampirism? Both of those are easily obtainable.

There are actually HUGE differences in those 3 blacks. The one just for having a vampire is a Common color (it is therefore flat and faded) and is actually nothing more than a dark gray. It is NOT black. The Coldharbor black for killing Molag Bal, though a Rare color, has no sheen and is a greyish/brownish black. The Legate's Black, however, is a darker more blue-black, a much deeper hue that the Coldharbor one. Therefore I MUST have it and I am extremely annoyed ot find that, once again, those of us who primarily PvE are getting the shaft in favor of those who PvP and probably don't give a good *** about the Dyes in the first place! :neutral_face:

PvP requires more effort than PvE does - or, TIME. If you want that dye, DEDICATE that time to getting it instead of QQing that it's too hard.

EDIT: Also, your "shaft" is nonexistent. PvPers are CONSTANTLY forgotten of for the sake of PvE.
    Edited by ShadoPanauin on January 1, 2015 8:58PM
    R.I.P. Million Reasons to Bomb, he triggered ZOS

Characters:
    Million Reasons to Rename - AD Magicka Nightblade
    Lúcio C - AD Stamina Sorcerer
    slaughterfishlivesmatter - AD Stamina Nightblade
    Million Reasons to Rake - DC Stamina Sorcerer
    Shadopandauin - EP Magicka DK
    Million Reasons to Lag - EP Magicka Sorcerer
  • Hanokihs
    Hanokihs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaerlach wrote: »

Why not? People who want adamantine silver and can't complete veteran DSA can't get it.

You should have to play the whole game to have everything. Choose to skip part of the game (pvp, trials, fishing, etc), choose to skip some rewards. That's the way it is.

Yes, but why is the reward a customization feature? And furthermore, why is the requirement so much harder to obtain than some of the others? Anyone can go fishing; it's just tapping E and hoping the RNG likes you that day. But to tie an armor color to something that the majority of people will never obtain? It just comes off as lazy system implementation.

I get that they'd want to encourage people to play the whole game by making certain colors exclusive, but they'd do a better job of it by rewarding gear, or special books that reward skill points, or something useful. On the one hand, there are people who'd say "Dye is just dye, don't take it so seriously. You're just painting your clothes," but on the other, we have players like the OP and myself who say, "Dye is just dye, why make it so difficult? We only want to be able to paint our clothes in colors we like."
    "I haven't really played much yet, but lemme tell you all about how the game should include X and be a lot more like Y!" - Half the posters on this forum.
    "I've been here for years, and lemme tell you all about how they should never change or evolve Z, because then the game would be ruined forever." - The other half of posters on this forum.
  • Jaerlach
    Jaerlach
    ✭✭✭
    Hanokihs wrote: »

Yes, but why is the reward a customization feature? And furthermore, why is the requirement so much harder to obtain than some of the others? Anyone can go fishing; it's just tapping E and hoping the RNG likes you that day. But to tie an armor color to something that the majority of people will never obtain? It just comes off as lazy system implementation.

I get that they'd want to encourage people to play the whole game by making certain colors exclusive, but they'd do a better job of it by rewarding gear, or special books that reward skill points, or something useful. On the one hand, there are people who'd say "Dye is just dye, don't take it so seriously. You're just painting your clothes," but on the other, we have players like the OP and myself who say, "Dye is just dye, why make it so difficult? We only want to be able to paint our clothes in colors we like."

Because then you can customize yourself in a way that makes people who walk by go 'oh, this guy did XXX', and it's different from a title in that its unlocked by account.

If you see someone with Emperor red, you know they did something notable. Having it be a customization option is actually a great idea, as long as the colors are noticable/unique enough that they stand out from the pack.

Jaerlach Kesepton (DK)
    The 7th Vanguard
    DC - NA first SO speed run & first Hardmode Speedrun
    NA Record Vet DSA: 11519
  • ShadowHvo
    ShadowHvo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read most of the thread so yes I know you consider ash black as a more "brown-black" more than anything else. But hardly is more grey than black. it easily tilts to the darker section of the two. I know its not the blackest black either. I'm just saying ash black could easily pass for a decent black given the circumstance.

Difference2_zpse5f01f63.jpg

People just want a clean black colour, Legate's black thus far seems to be the only one. While I can't say with 100% certainty, as I have yet to see it ingame. But from the comparing the icons, Legate's Black truely seems like the most "clean" black colour in this game.

Personally I just want a proper black colour which doesn't have an awful tint in it like all other "black" dyes thus far. The above picture is of the Coldharbour Ash Black, compared to the black of the NPC's daedric armor. THAT is a clean black, the Couldharbour Ash Black is by far brownish.

And yes, both pictures are from the same angle and same place, time and lighting.
    Edited by ShadowHvo on January 1, 2015 9:41PM
    Nighren - The Shadow Striker
    Leader of Bloodlines
    -- EU --

Want to roleplay in elder scrolls online? Check out eso-rp.com
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hanokihs wrote: »

Because then you can customize yourself in a way that makes people who walk by go 'oh, this guy did XXX', and it's different from a title in that its unlocked by account.

If you see someone with Emperor red, you know they did something notable. Having it be a customization option is actually a great idea, as long as the colors are noticable/unique enough that they stand out from the pack.

I guess I just don't feel the need to advertise what I have done in the game by going, "Look at me! I have RARE color X! You don't noob!" I'm not competitive when it comes to computer games. I find PvP and PvE fun. I could care less about achievements. So the mindset that something like a dye should be used to advertise your "special" status just kinda leaves me scratching my head.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• Zorrashi
    Zorrashi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ShadowHvo wrote: »

Difference2_zpse5f01f63.jpg

People just want a clean black colour, Legate's black thus far seems to be the only one. While I can't say with 100% certainty, as I have yet to see it ingame. But from the comparing the icons, Legate's Black truely seems like the most "clean" black colour in this game.

Personally I just want a proper black colour which doesn't have an awful tint in it like all other "black" dyes thus far. The above picture is of the Coldharbour Ash Black, compared to the black of the NPC's daedric armor. THAT is a clean black, the Couldharbour Ash Black is by far brownish.

And yes, both pictures are from the same angle and same place, time and lighting.

That still does not really explain why you want a major change of a system (presumably) just for a cleaner black. Ask for additions, not changes. If your issue is how that clean black is attained (PvP in this case), then ask ZOS to implement another black in a future update with content.

I know even minor changes in tint can make a world of difference to how it can appear on your armor, but even the 'cleaner black' is still just another black. Even the brown-black of ash black still bears small semblance to the dark color black.

• ShadowHvo
    ShadowHvo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That still does not really explain why you want a major change of a system (presumably) just for a cleaner black. Ask for additions, not changes. If your issue is how that clean black is attained (PvP in this case), then ask ZOS to implement another black in a future update with content.

I know even minor changes in tint can make a world of difference to how it can appear on your armor, but even the 'cleaner black' is still just another black. Even the brown-black of ash black still bears small semblance to the dark color black.

I have not asked for any changes in how the dyes are given nor in the systems.

In fact, I've asked for an additional dye to be added, as a last achievement for completing ALL dark anchor achievements.
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/144643/new-dye-colour-daedric-black?new=1
    Leader of Bloodlines
    -- EU --

• Zorrashi
    Zorrashi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ShadowHvo wrote: »

I have not asked for any changes in how the dyes are given nor in the systems.

In fact, I've asked for an additional dye to be added, as a last achievement for completing ALL dark anchor achievements.
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/144643/new-dye-colour-daedric-black?new=1

Well why didn't you say so! Go on ahead and push for it!

I apparently assumed wrong when this legate black fuss came up. It usually goes hand in hand with a "this system should be changed!" demand. My sincere apologies.
  • ShadowHvo
    ShadowHvo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No worries!
    Leader of Bloodlines
    -- EU --

• Hanokihs
    Hanokihs
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That would make sense, if Emperor Red actually looked special enough to be recognized on sight. Colors like red and blue are a dime a dozen. Colors like black and white are more distinct, because the options that we have don't actually fit the bill. As the images above show, Coldharbour Ash Black isn't actually "black" and most whites aren't actually "white." (The closest seems to be Birch White, which is really more of an "eggshell/beige" but it'll have to do.)

I'm all for them adding new colors, and making them various levels of difficulty to obtain, but only if they're actually the color being advertised. Currently, the only option available for people who care about it is something that'll take a year or more to obtain. No matter how you spin it, something like that is ridiculous.

Nobody thinks they'll erase the system and change it completely; if they do, they're too optimistic. What they can do is revamp/enhance the system, so something simple like armor paint isn't re-purposed as a trophy. Give people more, varied options.

[Edited for Grammarz. Oy vey...]
    Edited by Hanokihs on January 2, 2015 5:01AM
    "I haven't really played much yet, but lemme tell you all about how the game should include X and be a lot more like Y!" - Half the posters on this forum.
    "I've been here for years, and lemme tell you all about how they should never change or evolve Z, because then the game would be ruined forever." - The other half of posters on this forum.