With the new justice system coming up, I suggest we bring back the daggerfall game mechanic of bashing open doors, and add in breakable furniture and chests. We have some of the models of broken, burned out, and destroyed items already, we would need to just add in animations for most, a few more models for broken in doors, few more broken furniture models,broken chests, and then enable the damage interaction.
Edited by HeroOfNone on January 25, 2015 5:03PM
Why you'd want to do this:
- after you've already looted the crates and barrels this gives an additional chance for mire loot
- certain furniture like bed mattresses, couches, etc. Can only be looted for hidden loot if you tear it open
- if it would be balanced, adding a harder difficulty to opening locks, with additional lock out times. This makes bashing open the lock necessary for the unskilled snd people that can't wait
- gives a chance to intimidate npcs to give you money
- possible quests given by mafia like npcs that want you to "rough up" some folks but not kill them.
- a cool graphic effect for collateral damage which adds to immersion. You can literally destroy or protect the environment around you. Even limiting this to towns will make the towns feel like their own mini-delves
- gives a better, more realistic way to break some items outside of "waving a torch" or instant punching things apart.
Why you would NOT want to break stuff
- attracts more attention from npc and player guards when they hear the noise or see the damage.
- a chance to freak out npcs so they run to get guards
- if you haven't looted the furniture you'd be missing out on the additional loot.
- breaking open chests has a small chance to hurt the durability of an item inside, reduce the gold, or downgrade it's quality.
- additional bounty
- possible less reward in quests for destroying or breaking open a door for something that should have been specific or stealthy.
I'm not suggesting this be added tomorrow, but I feel it would be an interesting addition to the system and it would bring back an interesting mechanic from prior elderscrolls games. Agree and/or reply if you like the idea or give your own spin on things. Thanks!
Edit: Moved to Feedback & Suggestions
Herfi Driderkitty of the Aldmeri Dominion
Find me on : Twitch