Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Suggestion: bashable doors, breakable furniture, destroyable chests

HeroOfNone
HeroOfNone
✭✭✭✭✭
With the new justice system coming up, I suggest we bring back the daggerfall game mechanic of bashing open doors, and add in breakable furniture and chests. We have some of the models of broken, burned out, and destroyed items already, we would need to just add in animations for most, a few more models for broken in doors, few more broken furniture models,broken chests, and then enable the damage interaction.

Why you'd want to do this:
- after you've already looted the crates and barrels this gives an additional chance for mire loot
- certain furniture like bed mattresses, couches, etc. Can only be looted for hidden loot if you tear it open
- if it would be balanced, adding a harder difficulty to opening locks, with additional lock out times. This makes bashing open the lock necessary for the unskilled snd people that can't wait
- gives a chance to intimidate npcs to give you money
- possible quests given by mafia like npcs that want you to "rough up" some folks but not kill them.
- a cool graphic effect for collateral damage which adds to immersion. You can literally destroy or protect the environment around you. Even limiting this to towns will make the towns feel like their own mini-delves
- gives a better, more realistic way to break some items outside of "waving a torch" or instant punching things apart.

Why you would NOT want to break stuff
- attracts more attention from npc and player guards when they hear the noise or see the damage.
- a chance to freak out npcs so they run to get guards
- if you haven't looted the furniture you'd be missing out on the additional loot.
- breaking open chests has a small chance to hurt the durability of an item inside, reduce the gold, or downgrade it's quality.
- additional bounty
- possible less reward in quests for destroying or breaking open a door for something that should have been specific or stealthy.

I'm not suggesting this be added tomorrow, but I feel it would be an interesting addition to the system and it would bring back an interesting mechanic from prior elderscrolls games. Agree and/or reply if you like the idea or give your own spin on things. Thanks!

Edit: Moved to Feedback & Suggestions
Edited by HeroOfNone on January 25, 2015 5:03PM
Herfi Driderkitty of the Aldmeri Dominion
Find me on : Twitch | Youtube | Twitter | Reddit
  • ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I like the idea but doubt it will ever be possible. Without having physics then the items will have to have static animations which would probably look awful. It would also have to be instanced per player so that people don't run up and smash everything before you get to it. Might even need a respawn rate. It would also need more calculations done which would probably destroy frames (again) and increase lag.

But the idea itself would be fun.
  • dharbert
    dharbert
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That's fine for a single player RPG, but not an MMO with thousands of players at once.
  • HeroOfNone
    HeroOfNone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea but doubt it will ever be possible. Without having physics then the items will have to have static animations which would probably look awful. It would also have to be instanced per player so that people don't run up and smash everything before you get to it. Might even need a respawn rate. It would also need more calculations done which would probably destroy frames (again) and increase lag.

But the idea itself would be fun.

For something that could be instanced and limited to towns I think it would be perfectly viable with good FPS. As for the static animations I think that the ESO team could put something together that looks pretty good like the aways have, something like boards flying, fabric ripping, wood burning, depending on the weapon used. If you consider the furniture to be a type of static npc that can't fight back, I don't imagine this would cause much more lag than the current town populations.

There would need to be some balancing of course.
  • HeroOfNone
    HeroOfNone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dharbert wrote: »
    That's fine for a single player RPG, but not an MMO with thousands of players at once.

Missed this, but not sure what you're saying is bad here. Warhammer online had destroyable objects and doors you had to break down. In guild wars 2 there was definitely crates to break and doors (keep doors) to break down. This would be an extention of that, though a bit more polished and dynamic hopefully.
  • HeroOfNone
    HeroOfNone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moved to Feedback & Suggestions