Update 43 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of July 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – July 29

Justice System Questions for ESO Live

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
Hi everyone!

This Friday, December 5th, we'll be having a very special segment on ESO Live showcasing the Justice System with Justice Lead Scott Nixon. Scott will be giving a general overview of the Justice System, and will present various features that you can expect to see once the system is available including theft, burglary, assault, bounty, consequences of your actions, and more.

If you have any questions about the Justice System and aren't able to join us on Friday during the show, you can post your questions here and we'll do our best to answer as many as we can!
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • jackleminer55
    jackleminer55
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom‌ @ZOS_GinaBruno‌ with the addition of the justice system will the NPCs finally get more realistic behaviors and go yo sleep at night or will that come in later?
    Options
  • kallistiGAD
    kallistiGAD
    ✭✭✭
    Can we expect any new justice system inspired emotes for RPers?
    Argonian Maids Gone Wild
    The Flash Mob guild. Bringing the absurd to ESO
    Options
  • ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Will we be able to steal their underwear?

Also will we be able to make a poison and hide it in their pocket to kill them? Or explody bomb things cause that would be fun.
    Options
  • Morvul
    Morvul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's somewhat obvious how "bad guy" players will be able to interact with this first phase of the justice system - but will there be anything to do for "good guys"?
    (as the"enforcer" PvP aspekt is comming in some later update...)
    Options
  • Garbrac
    Garbrac
    ✭✭✭
    In a previous episode Paul Sage confirmed that Werewolf and Vampire players will have the guards reacting differently to them depending on the phase they are in.

What happens if a Vampire is wearing his Enforcer Tabard while trying to apprehend a thief and his turns into a Phase 4 Vampire. Will the guards begin to accost the Vampire until he feeds and lowers his Vampire Phase.

If an Enforcer is caught stealing, will that Enforcer be thrown from the Enforcer "Guild" and stripped of his Enforcing abilities. Then having to repay his debt to the Enforcer guild by doing a series of "Good Deeds" until being accepted back into the Guild.
    Options
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Why was the PVE Justice System prioritized over the Imperial City and PVP fixes with regard to what content to include in Update 6?
    Options
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Will the justice system finally bring negative consequences to the idiots who think it's fun to spam spells over and over again in the banks and at the crafting and dye stations?

Conversely, if someone accidentally hits a key and casts a spell in the general direction of an NPC one time, will that damage their reputation?
    Edited by Slurg on December 4, 2014 8:47PM
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
    Options
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we expect things like Motifs and crafting upgrade materials to be in the loot table of some/all the NPCs?

Is pickpocketing chance based or is there a minigame (a la Lockpicking) involved?

Can we expect to see locked residences that will require a Lockpicking check to enter?

If stolen items are traded to a player with no bounty do they have a bounty applied if the original player has a bounty?

Since the Morag Tong is a legal organization in Morrowind, can we get "Legal Writs of Execution" from them for legal hits - and if so do these contracts exclude us from accruing a bounty?
    Options
  • Csub
    Csub
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. When the PvP part of the Justice System comes out, what steps will you take to avoid people farming bounty by achieving a great bounty and having a friend kill them and collect the money?
    2. Also, what will happen if a low level person or anyone does not have the money to pay the fine but manages to run away? Can they return later and pay the fine or they have to wait out till the bounty disappears (if it does over time) or get killed?
    3. Will having earlier bounties influence our abilities of becoming a guard?
    4. If I recall correctly, we will all see if an NPC is killed and won't be instanced (however, important NPCs like quest givers and merchants cannot be killed), so around how long will it take for the NPCs to respawn?
    "The Divines gave you a nose for a reason, Tharn. So you can keep your mouth shut and still keep breathing. - Lyris Titanborn
    Options
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    More questions, since it has been said the initial rollout will be much like Skyrim's justice system:

Will animals be able to witness crimes? (I'm still mad about that chicken in Skyrim that put a huge bounty on my head).

Will there be visual cues for what we can take freely and what is considered stolen?

Will NPC houses and businesses be locked at night?

Will NPCs tell us to get out of their houses when we go in for some good quality looting time?

Where are you hiding all the children?
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lack of night-day schedules for NPCs, and even movement in general for many NPCs, seriously changes the crime dynamic in the game. Are we going to be expected to 'make due' when we encounter a situation where a normal person would be sleeping, or at least moving around from location to location? How will this be handled?

Will environmental conditions be a factor in crime? Day vs night? Rain vs sunny?

@ZOS_JasonLeavey‌ Thanks!

Edited by Elsonso on December 5, 2014 10:41PM
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Grind Road

ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Please give us specifics with what you plan for vampires and werewolves. So far everything that has been said was pretty vague. Specifically I would like to know at what times and places will we be safe? Will we pretty much have to be on constant guard outside of Cyrodiil?
    :trollin:
    Options
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hello Mr. Nixon,

Thank you for taking the time to field questions from the community.

How long will it take before PvP content is implemented in the Justice System? I am not interested in the PvE portion of the Justice System, but have been waiting for the PvP aspect eagerly since the initial teaser Paul Sage gave us.

Will all of my bonuses from the Justice System be maxed out before there is any PvP option available to me that will make the system interesting to level? I do not find combat with NPCs to be particularly interesting, and was looking very much forward to the involvement of other players in PvP in the Justice System.

Will we be waiting several months before PvP is operational? Will the PvP portion of the Justice System be released in the first update following its implementation, or is it being left to an indefinite time frame?

Will the PvP portion of the Justice System receive prompt response to player issues, or will it be largely forgotten about in much the same way that Cyrodiil has been?
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
    Options
  • Neizir
    Neizir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you able to opt in or out of the system? And if so, will it be on or off by default?
    Neizir Stormstrider

EU Megaserver

UK
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
    I have a fancy signature.
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
    Options
  • Akselmo
    Akselmo
    ✭✭✭
    Whenever the enforcer thing comes out, will I be able to hunt down thieves everywhere across the Tamriel?
    Hun-Tra@Akselmo (EP-EU-PC)
    A fan of TES-series since 2005.
    Options
  • Tanis-Stormbinder
    Tanis-Stormbinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No post yet on the time ESO Live starts tomorrow.
    Options
  • ZOS_JasonLeavey
    ZOS_JasonLeavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's up on the website, Tanis-Stormbinder‌! Be sure to catch the show at 4:00 PM EST, tomorrow! :)
    Edited by ZOS_JasonLeavey on December 4, 2014 10:55PM
    Jason Leavey
    Community Coordinator - The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
    Options
    Staff Post
  • LunaRae
    LunaRae
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone!

This Friday, December 5th, we'll be having a very special segment on ESO Live showcasing the Justice System with Justice Lead Scott Nixon. Scott will be giving a general overview of the Justice System, and will present various features that you can expect to see once the system is available including theft, burglary, assault, bounty, consequences of your actions, and more.

If you have any questions about the Justice System and aren't able to join us on Friday during the show, you can post your questions here and we'll do our best to answer as many as we can!

I'm V14, I have all the gear I want (Undaunted gear, Trials gear, PvP gear, etc...). Why do I want to get involved with the Justice system?

If you can't easily answer that then maybe try to include answers to:

Are there new sets involved by stealing? Are there new skills or passives related to the Justice system? Can I make a lot of gold by stealing a lot (not 10 gold at a time)? Will there be access to new mats to steal, such as Alchemy mats (like Bugloss)?

Stands-Strong-As-Snow ~ Argonian Templar DC NA V14
    Ytheri ~ Argonian Nightblade EP Thornblade NA V14
    Heals-All-Colours ~ Argonian Templar EP Thornblade NA V14
    Stands-In-Still-Waters~ Argonian Sorcerer EP Thornblade NA V2
    Options
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's up on the website, Tanis-Stormbinder‌! Be sure to catch the show at 4:00 PM EST, tomorrow! :)

hosted by the hair?
    Options
  • zharthasb16_ESO
    zharthasb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom‌ @ZOS_GinaBruno‌ with the addition of the justice system will the NPCs finally get more realistic behaviors and go yo sleep at night or will that come in later?

It sa MMO - many people play night - day - evening etcc.. if npc sleep , that can block questing
    Megaserver US - since 2014
    Options
  • Unknown_poster
    Unknown_poster
    ✭✭✭
    Slurg wrote: »
    More questions, since it has been said the initial rollout will be much like Skyrim's justice system:

Will animals be able to witness crimes? (I'm still mad about that chicken in Skyrim that put a huge bounty on my head).

In the beginning, put that at 100 percent, since every other system they have rolled out at a launch has been broken to hell.

Will there be visual cues for what we can take freely and what is considered stolen?

Already seen in "preview" screenshots.

Will NPC houses and businesses be locked at night?

Probably not, since you have people logging on at all times from around the world. Day/Night cycle is around 4-5 hours unless its changed. Telling people that the item they want from npc so-and-so isn't available for a few hours is going to go over like a shite sandwich.

Will NPCs tell us to get out of their houses when we go in for some good quality looting time?

Adds another level of VO/bugginess that they should avoid given previous track records.

Where are you hiding all the children?

Same place they have always been. They know that any killable child npc in game would be farmed by the lolz crowd. Not to mention the great *** rp'ing that would occur. The far right Christian internet rage, while a nice boost to their internet profile, would cost them more in the long run. Look how they instituted same-sex npc interactions. No muss, no fuss. You many see children in the future, but only as non-killable npcs.

There ya go. Answers to all your questions without having to wait.
    Options
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you want to build a snowman?
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
    Options
  • ShadowHvo
    ShadowHvo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are the exact penalties for Werewolves and Vampires? While this was answered somewhat vague, we don't know whenever these guys will have an easier time getting to the Kill-on-Sight stage, or if it's instantly kill-on-sight. Can you explain exactly how the Justice System works in regards to those monsters?
    Nighren - The Shadow Striker
    Leader of Bloodlines
    -- EU --

Want to roleplay in elder scrolls online? Check out eso-rp.com
    Options
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Will the final justice system have any kind of scoring system and/or leaderboards for the most notorious criminals and the best crime fighters?
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

Options
  • AssaultLemming
    AssaultLemming
    ✭✭✭✭
    Will the drop rate of rare motifs and recipes be increased to reflect the increased risk vs reward?

Will the ability to reset containers by logging in and out be removed?
    Options
  • phreatophile
    phreatophile
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm one more that wants clarification about how vampires and werewolves will work with in the Justice System.

Will werewolves only find issue when they transform?
    Will vampires be attacked at stage 4?
    Will vampires get noticed by quest givers or merchants?
    Will there be a nonagro-ing way for vampires to feed? Seduction?
    Options
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Will criminals face some serious setback when choosing that path or will they still be able to enter towns, use guild kiosks or even vendors in towns?

How realistic will being a criminal be? Are we able to kill, rob everything or will we only get some dummies that have no relevance to the lore at all?

How do you intend to stop the "care bears" from ruining the justice system? ;)
    Edited by Audigy on December 5, 2014 2:18AM
    Options
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    will there be a guy screaming in town about loving people and gods that we can arrow to the head skyrim style?
    Options
  • BRogueNZ
    BRogueNZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are not prepared!
    Options
  • SmoovRobbyG
    SmoovRobbyG
    Soul Shriven
    Hi there! More a suggestion than a question... could it be possible to include the use of disguises for those who like to live in the shadows? For example; Say "Bill the Thief" is known to the guards of Daggerfall, could wearing a disguise be implemented that would take the heat off as long as "Bill" did not commit any new crimes and get caught? Then, much like some of the infiltration quests we have now, once spotted/caught, the disguise is then spent and disappears from your inventory. This could open up a new side crafting line for people to craft non armour clothing or what would likely be called "civies". Any way, as a casual player but a fan of RP, I am very much looking forward to the Justice System's addition to the game. Thanks.
    Options