Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network is currently experiencing a service interruption. Please check here for status updates: https://status.playstation.com/en-us/

If only we could have - one handed staffs!

• drschplatt
    drschplatt
    ✭✭✭✭
    At least provide a way for us to get the full gear bonus. It's not like sword&shield or two hand weapon users are at any disadvantage in this game where they need the extra trait to survive.
    Foräois - Imperial Sorcerer of Ineptitude.
    Widoch - Nord Dragon Knight of Ignorance.
    Billy Bob - Dunmer Templar of Chicken and Noodles.
    Blades of Vengeance
  • KenjiJU
    KenjiJU
    ✭✭✭
    Wands and scepters would be cool. Esp cool if scepters were a melee weapon that returned magicka instead of stamina.
  • felinith66
    felinith66
    ✭✭✭
    Like Guild Wars 2?
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AsweetRoll wrote: »
    Shield + staff would be OP.

What if they just made a completely SEPERATE weapon set (and skill-line) called one-handed Staffs. These staffs could be weaker than their two handed counterpart so that there isn't a problem with the wielder becoming overpowered and it would totally work with the one staff with one sword/shield/ax, etc.
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Valen_Byte wrote: »
    Stuff like this, that is found in Elder Scrolls, can not and will not be allowed in ESO because of PVP. All the more reason PVP characters should be separate. Then they could make it more like an Elder scrolls game. We wouldnt have to have classes and we could do all the cool stuff that we can do in all the other games.

Not to sound snotty but... why don't you just go play those other games. The experience I'm looking for CANNOT be found in other games... and I believe ESO is the game that can give me the experience I seek.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    brimits wrote: »
    Natjur wrote: »
    If they allowed using two staffs at once, tanks will start asking for two shields at once. Both are silly.

I know what you mean. Where does it all stop?

You mention tanks with two shields though and that's fine if that's what they want. They wouldn't do a lot of drawing the opposition away without a weapon though.
    Two shields? Seriously? Nobody is asking to be able to use two shields that's a stupid argument. What people seem to be asking in this thread is allowing for two staves or staff and melee and it's based on what was allowed in Skyrim.

It's not that crazy. Skyrim let you have a staff and a sword. I wish there was a single weapon line. Call it fencing or something, where I don't have to use a second weapon or shield. I know crazy, right?
    In the time it takes to switch from healing to attack we can be defeated if on low health etc.. However, when there are both ready to use, it would be much better.

It's also a shame that both weapons cannot be controlled separately in dual wield. We can either attack with both or block with both at present.

The good thing about staffs is that they do not seem to depend on your Magica or stamina except for blocking.
    I have to disagree. One thing I hated about Skyrim is that you couldn't block while duel wielding and I think ESO just makes more sense in the way that was handled.
    :trollin:
  • brimits
    brimits
    ✭✭✭
    why not add a weaker wand that's for 1 hand use make it use the staff skill lines only possibly limit the wand to not being dual wielded with another wand so no OP'ed resto destro dual wield combos. but allow weaker spellcasts for the option to add defensive shields and 1 handed skill line like puncture or disable certain skills for that combo like no defensive posture or shield bash while doing a dagger and shield could use some work but seems good.

Hey, I would want too much nerfing to accommodate it,
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seriously, no one's ever heard of a half-staff?

Currently limited blocks, no sweeps / stuns (real stuns, not interrupts) or attacks using, well, the other end of the dang thing?

Half staff could have half the power of the full staff, 3/4 mainhand 1/4 offhand, whatever...

Offhand could then be used to shield or second weapon/half staff.

Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • diabeticDemon18
    diabeticDemon18
    ✭✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »
    Dual wielding staffs?... now that's just silly... but even though I would never use it... there is precedent for it in the Elder Scrolls world so I put my support behind this idea 100%!

Unfortunately, my support means diddly.

anyway... Skyrim allowed dual wield staff.
    YVW2V.jpg

DualWieldingStaves.jpg

Mjoll_Dual-Wield_Staff.jpg

Let's be honest though... you look kind of ridiculous when holding two huge staffs like that... they might as well be crutches with magical powers
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Let's be honest though... you look kind of ridiculous when holding two huge staffs like that... they might as well be crutches with magical powers

Thus the half-staff idea.

Have to agree @diabeticDemon18‌ , if they did it that way, I would think they'd be obligated to have a 1% chance that if the staves touched each other (*clink*), you get a self-knockback/stun out of it.

Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are 1H swords in game and 2H swords in game, with different damage and skills. Provided these one-handed staves would work in a similar manner, I think it would be fine. More variety and choices is great!

But if people just want dual staves so they can spam Impulse with one hand and get the magicka cost back immediately from a heavy attack in other hand, then no.
  • Vizier
    Vizier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be really good if we could have say Healing staff in one hand and a weapon in the other.
    Not only would it help in dungeons but all the passives that are available for the staff type would be in use!.
    It would be good also for dual wielding with a destruction staff.

Since characters never strike anyone physically with the staff it makes sense it should be a one handed weapon even if visually it is as large as a two handed sword.

Give Melee options for staffs at close range and the two handed classification becomes justified.
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Seriously, no one's ever heard of a half-staff?

You mean a Walking Stick????

Seriously, staffs were originally a walking aid, cut them in half and you get a walking stick.
    Edited by AlexDougherty on November 26, 2014 8:58PM
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Nihil
    Nihil
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly if they did this I don't think it would be the way that people would imagine XD. It would be a completely different skill line with different passives.

I wouldn't mind seeing a spell / staff combo skill line, it could be a hybrid skill line of sorts. Could be interesting (and give wood working something else to make)
  • Valen_Byte
    Valen_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    AngryNord wrote: »

Each class categorizes five Skills as "Major", five others as "Minor", and the remaining seventeen as "Miscellaneous". But all classes have access to all skills.

In the context of ESO, a 'class' restricts you to a specific skill set. In other ES games a 'class' gives a bonus to certain skills, but you still have access to all of the skills. So you can see, 'classes' are not the same in ESO as they were in other ES games. There were classes but no real class restrictions.

So to answer your question...no we can not put an end to it as long as people want to talk about it. What gives you the right to tell someone what to talk about and what not to??
    Edited by Valen_Byte on November 27, 2014 2:41AM
    ***Dixon Kay MagDK FORMER EMPEROR***Deca Dix MagDK FORMER EMPORER***Valonious MagPlar FORMER EMPEROR***
    GM of BYTE
    MAY YOUR DEATHS BE SWIFT, AND YOUR LOAD SCREENS LONG.
    And alien tears will fill for him, Pity’s long-broken urn, For his mourners will be outcast men, And outcasts always mourn
  • Valen_Byte
    Valen_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Stuff like this, that is found in Elder Scrolls, can not and will not be allowed in ESO because of PVP. All the more reason PVP characters should be separate. Then they could make it more like an Elder scrolls game. We wouldnt have to have classes and we could do all the cool stuff that we can do in all the other games.

Not to sound snotty but... why don't you just go play those other games. The experience I'm looking for CANNOT be found in other games... and I believe ESO is the game that can give me the experience I seek.

You do sound snotty and you know it. Thats why you started your sentence that way. What is it that makes you think you have the right to tell me, a paying subscriber, to go play a different game?? I have played all of the other games in the ES series. Have you? I never said anything was wrong with ESO. I was just answering the OP question. The fact is that we will not see things that are in other ES games because this one has PVP.
    Edited by Valen_Byte on November 27, 2014 2:27AM
    ***Dixon Kay MagDK FORMER EMPEROR***Deca Dix MagDK FORMER EMPORER***Valonious MagPlar FORMER EMPEROR***
    GM of BYTE
    MAY YOUR DEATHS BE SWIFT, AND YOUR LOAD SCREENS LONG.
    And alien tears will fill for him, Pity’s long-broken urn, For his mourners will be outcast men, And outcasts always mourn
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shunravi wrote: »
    What to you call a shortened staff?
    A wand.

Not really a wand is usually about a foot long and not particularly thick. It would break if you tried to block with it. If you went by D&D terms a shortened Staff is referred to as a "Rod". To an Engineer, given a staff is approximately 6 feet long, you'd call it a Yardstick :D.
    KenjiJU wrote: »
    Wands and scepters would be cool. Esp cool if scepters were a melee weapon that returned magicka instead of stamina.

Scepters are a form of mace. They've just been made for someone with a lot of cash who tells everyone else what to do ;)
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • qiyamatawilrwb17_ESO
    what do you call 2 "staffs"? STAVES! :/
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You do sound snotty and you know it. Thats why you started your sentence that way. What is it that makes you think you have the right to tell me, a paying subscriber, to go play a different game?? I have played all of the other games in the ES series. Have you? I never said anything was wrong with ESO. I was just answering the OP question. The fact is that we will not see things that are in other ES games because this one has PVP.

Yea... I know the way the suggestion sounds... but I too am having to answer that question. Why don't I just go play the games that give me the experience I seek instead of hoping ESO will. OH... I have played the main TES games (Arena-Skyrim) and Battlespire. I didn't play Arena all the way through and I skipped Redguard.

I'm actually struggling with the fact that ESO doesn't have all the pieces of TES that I would like it to have... and I too am having to justify not just going back to play more Skyrim... even though it's not multiplayer. :neutral_face:

I truly didn't mean it to be as bratty as the response came across. It read even worse when you responded! :disagree: To me the question of "why don't I just play that other game" is a hard one for me to answer honestly because I find myself spending just as much time thinking "what if" and dreaming of the possibilities of ESO as I do playing the game!

Mostly for me... it's because this is an TES game I can play with my friends... and that's the long and short of it. No matter what aspects of TES it's missing... it's still Tamriel. It's still Nirn.

but I digress... back to the topic at hand: Dual wielding staffs!
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I hear the ladies like two handers instead of one.
  • NadiusMaximus
    NadiusMaximus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thus the half-staff idea.

Have to agree @diabeticDemon18‌ , if they did it that way, I would think they'd be obligated to have a 1% chance that if the staves touched each other (*clink*), you get a self-knockback/stun out of it.

"Don't cross the streams.... "

Egon Spengler

• AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A wand.

Not really a wand is usually about a foot long and not particularly thick. It would break if you tried to block with it.

Now sorry about this but I'm going to be pedantic.

But a wand has no predefined dimensions, in fact it can be as small as a toothpick or as big as a quarterstaff and still be called a wand. Fishing rods used to be called wands, and they were generally six to eight foot long (at the time they were called fishing wands).

In short wand is a term that has no size related parameters, D&D has given people the idea that it's a small stick (and Disney before them, and Brothers Grimm before that), but it's only been accepted as convention for a very small period of time (forty years or so).
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • CapuchinSeven
    CapuchinSeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spell crafting will allow for something somewhat like this. Kinda.
  • SteveCampsOut
    SteveCampsOut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vizier wrote: »
    It would be really good if we could have say Healing staff in one hand and a weapon in the other.
    Not only would it help in dungeons but all the passives that are available for the staff type would be in use!.
    It would be good also for dual wielding with a destruction staff.

Since characters never strike anyone physically with the staff it makes sense it should be a one handed weapon even if visually it is as large as a two handed sword.

Give Melee options for staffs at close range and the two handed classification becomes justified.

You do have A Melee option with the staves! It's called "Blocking".
    @ֆȶɛʋɛƈǟʍքֆօʊȶ ʀʋʟɨʄɛ⍟
    Sanguine & Psijic Group Beta Tester.
    Steve's Craftiness Find out what I can make for you at my Google Doc Spreadsheet.
    Pacrooti's Hirelings Website:
    pacrootis.enjin.com/

NA Server:
    Steforax Soulstrong CH782 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH782 Dragonknight AD
    Rheticia Le Drakisius CH782 Nightblade DC
    Razmuzan Thrasmas CH782 Templar EP
    Sheenara Soulstrong CH782 Dragonknight DC
    Erik Ramzey CH782 Nightblade AD
    Growling Kahjiti CH782 Nightblade EP
    One of Many Faces CH782 Sorcerer DC
    Grumpasaurus Rex CH782 Warden DC
    EU Server:
    Guildmaster of Pacrooti's Hirelings AD Based LGBT Friendly Guild.
    Stefrex Souliss CH701 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH701 Dragonknight DC
    Slithisi Ksissi CH701 Nightblade EP
    Pokes-With-Fire CH701 Dragonknight AD
    Josie-The-Pussi-Cat CH701 Templar AD
    Stug-Grog M'God CH701 Templar DC
    One With Many Faces CH701 Nightblade DC
    Trixie Truskan CH701 Sorcerer EP
    Grumpetasaurus Rex CH701 Warden EP
    ESO Plus status: Canceled!
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While wands DO exist in the TES lore they don't seem to be instruments of battle... We haven't had any offensive wands in any previous TES game so there really isn't a precedent for them.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• jockjammerb16_ESO
    jockjammerb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    A one handed staff is a wand. Oh I see I was late with that comment. my bad! forget it.
    Mo wait i do have something else to add! I once knew an excellent fighter in the SCA that was mostly known for his use of Polearms. When The sheild wall broke and he was surrounded he had an amazing habit of planting his polearm in the ground with one hand and drawing a short sword with the other. He was a very skilled fighter and annoyingly hard to finish in this odd defensive stance. however he was basically rooted to the spot once in that stance so very limited. Just an example of how a two handed weapon can suddenly be double weilded based on real life experience. Rather how a 2 handed weapon can suddenly become a type of odd wiggling pole sheild;) 2 two handed weapons are bunk as can be though.
    Want to carry 2 sticks? use two maces. Dont expect shooting harry potter spells from either of them. But Hey, thats holding 2 sticks. otherwise become a drummer.^^
    Edited by jockjammerb16_ESO on November 28, 2014 3:06PM
  • Gix
    Gix
    ✭✭✭✭
    What kind of skills would you want in dual-wield that shouldn't be in a main 2-h staff tree?

Personally, I'd rather see other schools of magic within the weapon skill lines. I want to see a Mysticism 2-h staves tree where most attacks pushes/pull targets away/towards you depending on the morphs.
  • murmur
    murmur
    ✭✭✭
    How about...

Every weapon type having their own skill line (sword, dagger, axe, destro, restro, shield, mace...) and then you could use any combination of two skill lines. Some skills could be restricted to work only if you single wield that weapon type and some could get bonus if you dual wield that weapon type. It would give a lot more options for players to choose how they want to play.
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    A wand.

Not really a wand is usually about a foot long and not particularly thick. It would break if you tried to block with it.

Now sorry about this but I'm going to be pedantic.

But a wand has no predefined dimensions, in fact it can be as small as a toothpick or as big as a quarterstaff and still be called a wand. Fishing rods used to be called wands, and they were generally six to eight foot long (at the time they were called fishing wands).

In short wand is a term that has no size related parameters, D&D has given people the idea that it's a small stick (and Disney before them, and Brothers Grimm before that), but it's only been accepted as convention for a very small period of time (forty years or so).

There is no specific length parameter. There is a descriptive, though imprecise, thickness indicator:

"Wand: slender rod for carrying in hand or setting in ground as temporary mark; Magicians or Music-conductors Baton".

"Staff: (1) Stick or pole for use in walking or climbing or as a weapon. (2) Sign of Office. (3) Shaft, Pole as support or handle. (4) rod for measuring distances, heights etc, for measuring."

That being said, my Oxford Dictionary is dated 1987 :), interestingly, to me, my Collins Dictionary added "something that sustains or supports" (though its example was an analogy). However I think that the operative word here is actually "slender". Yes you could call a fishing pole a fishing wand, most of the ones I've seen get extremely slender at the end. I stand by my sentence "It would break if you tried to block with it".

Thanks, for making me drag out my books Alex :D, I did actually get something out of it ;).
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread