The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Templars in PVE are only suppose to be healers?

• deleted221205-002626
    deleted221205-002626
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templars can have really awesome dps.. More than sorc? Im not sure but I have no issues in pvp/pve taking down large groups.. Infact the more the better. When I look at my skills I realize that Im MAJOR AE heals, dmg and stuns. Maybe Templars are more AE that's sorcs?
  • Tabbycat
    Tabbycat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I am thinking that players will be able to create more competitive DPS Templars (at least of the spellcasting variety) once Spellcrafting comes out.
    Founder and Co-GM of The Psijic Order Guild (NA)
    0.016%
  • zhevon
    zhevon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Although I am sympathetic - when I use to do group dungeons ( gave up about 2 months ago out of frustration) it was easy to get DPSs but much harder to get a tanks or healers with healers being the hardest to get. Thats one reason you tend to get pigeon-holed.
    Edited by zhevon on October 20, 2014 2:00PM
  • Islyn
    Islyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Salacious wrote: »
    So I have been running some dungeons and exploring the world and enjoying my time in the game - But I every time I group and a player is being attacked, I get yelled at because I am carrying and wearing the wrong equipment.
    Yeah I just DPS as I see fit and spam BoL or flip to heals bar if anyone gets very hurt in a 4 man dungeon (On my Templar I have 2 manned most of Craglorn with a sorc - calling people in for help with final bosses now and then).

Most people though are smart enough to not get hurt much/not stand in stupid/block and to use pots etc.

In trials; for me I would never do anything but heals and later hopefully tank!

• wayfarerb14_ESO
    wayfarerb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    This post is interesting to me because I just finished doing all the 4th zone group dungeons with three Templars and one DK. I was the only one healing. If you looked at the preferred role tab in the group list, I was the only Templar who had healing slotted as my preferred role. I think one of them had just DPS as their preferred role, and the other listed tank and DPS. The point is, don't let the jerks bully you into playing how they want you to play. Templars make awesome tanks and can deal quite a bit of DPS. Any class can pick up a restoration staff and you don't need a healer Templar to complete a dungeon (I heal just fine on one of my Nightblades too, thank you very much). Play the way you want.
  • deleted221205-002626
    deleted221205-002626
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Id have to agree with ^'s post! As an example I just recently got dragged out to check out the Arena.. im pvp only so this was new to me. Our group makeup was one of each class and I was playing the healing role.. Took minor tweaking of my healing bar(swapping purge for mutagen) and after about 7hrs we managed to complete it. whats important to note is all the healing I used is available on the resto staff with the exception of the healing ultimate(servers down n forget the name atm). So id think just about anyone could pick up a resto and heal, granted theres a fair amount of skill involved as well but its possible
    Edited by deleted221205-002626 on October 20, 2014 1:38PM
  • Observant
    Observant
    ✭✭✭✭
    Id have to agree with ^'s post! As an example I just recently got dragged out to check out the Arena.. im pvp only so this was new to me. Our group makeup was one of each class and I was playing the healing role.. Took minor tweaking of my healing bar(swapping purge for mutagen) and after about 7hrs we managed to complete it. whats important to note is all the healing I used is available on the resto staff with the exception of the healing ultimate(servers down n forget the name atm). So id think just about anyone could pick up a resto and heal, granted theres a fair amount of skill involved as well but its possible

Good playing with you in Thornblade! I'd still like some Wabba style playing on that server and doing 60 people + Pact Ballista versus 3 keeps btw.

You're referring to the Ultimate called Remembrance.
    Templars are clutch healers because of their Magicka resource mitigation as well as Cleansing Ritual for a cheap purge and Breath of Life for those "Ohh Sh*t!" moments.

I'll be rolling my Templar DPS bar for trials with the Potato Syndicate, I've already been warned to post my FTC DPS after every fight... lol. Whether they feel it's sufficient is up to them, but IMO I can pull about 200 DPS less than an inferno DK or Magicka based NB and unless they want to fork up the cost to re-roll me to a tank, I'll be heals or DPS. The idea of DPS is so silly, sure my DPS is lower - but I also knockback and stun 4x as much as other classes. Let alone all the shards I'm tossing for the stam builds.

TLDR; Don't let those with their head stuck up their ace discourage you from rolling whichever class you like, they're in for a big surprise when there's more to the game then cookie-cutter builds.

Edited by Observant on October 20, 2014 2:42PM
    Vehemence
  • deleted221205-002626
    deleted221205-002626
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes that's the ult! :)
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tripwyr wrote: »
    DK ~= Templar > NB >>> Sorc in Trial DPS.

The problem is that Templar DPS is very difficult to perform compared to other classes. Additionally, most strong Templar DPS builds are medium armor hybrids which is not well accepted in the current state of the game.

Remember: Sorcs are garbage.
    I can't tell if you're serious, but why are sorcs garbage?
    Edited by Nifty2g on October 20, 2014 3:13PM
    #MOREORBS
  • deleted221205-002626
    deleted221205-002626
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem is that Templar DPS is very difficult to perform compared to other classes. Additionally, most strong Templar DPS builds are medium armor hybrids which is not well accepted in the current state of the game.

wow dude.. you have the same name almost! lol
  • Observant
    Observant
    ✭✭✭✭
    Side note... are you guys the same Michael Pat(t)erson or just a wonky coincidence?

ETA: Nevermind, The'Healer cleared that up in the above post.
    I'm a Michael too, just throwing that out there.
    Edited by Observant on October 20, 2014 3:25PM
    Vehemence
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol yeah I saw that too, you have an extra t though
    #MOREORBS
  • Braidas
    Braidas
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say ur missing a t

• TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Braidas wrote: »

I would say ur missing a t
    original_postthread_direction_derail_copy1.jpg

• Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tplink3r1 wrote: »
    kewl wrote: »
    I am not going to bow to the community telling me I am a failure at a class because I choose to play as a DPS. I think thats letting the trolls win.

I am trying to establish if Templars really and and truly can be DPS.

They can...all classes can DPS, tank or heal. But not all classes and/or builds are optimal for these roles. If you want to Templar DPS in trials, you'll have to run with a group that knows you.
    every class can heal almost like us, can tank like us but we cant have half of their DPS.
    theres something wrong there.

Templar DPS is competitive with NB and DK, and higher than Sorc (the worst DPS class). Just because you haven't figured it out doesn't mean it isn't possible.

well the problem is the templar dps builds are purly generic - wich means any class can use those builds as nearly no class skills are involved. wich renders your statement quite "useless". sure templars can create high dps with stamina melee builds as our class skills suck balls (have done so) but those builds can be used by sorcs(any class) aswell generating slightly higher (thx to surge) and with a bit of proc luck alot higher dmg than the templar (done so aswell).

the real problem with melee specs is that you need another templar providing each stamina-melee every 6sec with its own spear shard - to sustain that dmg efficiently.
    spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• MercutioElessar
    MercutioElessar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templars in PVE are only suppose to be healers?

After playing my Templar Heal Only Breton, I came to the same thought. Everyone is screaming, yelling for temp heal here and there. But then, that one time I was asked if I could turn to DD for a dungeon and I got curious.
    Built me a High Elf Templar Tank (Paladina build) and dude - it rocks.

Templars don't have to be healers. They can be a lot more.
    If I've ever offended you,
    just know that from the bottom of my heart,
    I really don't give a ***.

• Lunerdog
    Lunerdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As soon as you group tell the group you're a dps Templer, if any of them have a problem with that then leave the group and put them on ignore, then you won't have to deal with them again.

Don't allow others to upset you and ruin your playtime, your not paying a sub in order to put up with other people's crap.
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    How is the Templar in that video maintaining so much stamina? I wanted to run a 2H sorc, using medium armor, but run out of stamina stupidly quick.
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How is the Templar in that video maintaining so much stamina? I wanted to run a 2H sorc, using medium armor, but run out of stamina stupidly quick.
    by weaving a heavy attack into uppercut + heavily overcapped endureg thx to radiant aura.

Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ah, thanks. So sorc won't be able to sustain like that.
  • Artis
    Artis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jahoel wrote: »
    Explosion is not an exploit, but I think anyone who knows what it is and how it works understands what I'm saying here.
    What is it and how does it work? It made most of the damage hm. I don't play a DK and I didn't find Explosion in their skill names.
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, thanks. So sorc won't be able to sustain like that.

not on their own - but all trials i´ve participated so far had atleast one templar who can provide it for you and provide you with luminous shards for even better sustain than the lonesome melee temp or comparable if he is running with you while you´re dealing more dmg as a sorc thx to surge, deadric curse, insta procced frags, desintigration.

• Elf_Boy
    Elf_Boy
    ✭✭✭
    I played a shadow priest in wow.

I had to be firm on rare occasion, I'd get random tells asking me to heal based on the group/zone finder tool.

Never was bad.

I dont see either of my templars having an issue. I dont pug much at this point and can be very firm about setting boundaries.
    ** Asus Crosshair VI Hero, Ryzen 1800x, 64GB DDR4 @ 3000, GTX 1080 ti, 4K Samsung 3d Display m.2 Sata 3 Boot Drive, m.2 x4 nvme Game Drive **
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    The "Restoring Light" Skill Line gives the Templar an healing advantage that the other classes don't have, in that a character could have viable healing spells while still using attack perks. The other characters who, to heal, must use the restoration staff, are restricted to healing spells off the weapons list and class/guild perks.

I think it's one reason why players might see the Templars as primarily healers.
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The reason Templars are seen like healers is because they do less DPS than a NB or a DK and heal better than any other class because of BOL.

When setting up a trial group, you want the minimum number of Sorcs (bare minimum to have enough negates since they do subpar DPS), the minimum number of Templars (so you got enough heals), a tank, and then at least one or two NBs for execute and DKs for DPS.

Why would you take a Templar as DPS when you can use a DK or NB instead which will pull more DPS? It's a waste, same applies for VR dungeons, they are cleared easier and faster if you got very high DPS, why would you want to take a sorc or a templar DPS when you know you can have 2 DKs or 1 DK and 1 NB?

Why would we take anything else than a Templar as Healer since they have better healing capabilities than other classes it would be a waste (for hard content).

You can tank with your templar though, if you want :) they do that very well.

Bottom line is, can templars do something else than heal? Sure. Are they supposed, optimization wise, to do something else than heal or tank? No.

The only groups that will let you DPS are those who don't care about optimization.
  • wafcatb14_ESO
    wafcatb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty much , while you can still dps on your Temp, unless it is a guild group , you will be auto placed to be the healer .

Be happy other MMO`s they kick you as soon as you join the group and they see you are not tanking or the healer lol
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kewl wrote: »
    I am not going to bow to the community telling me I am a failure at a class because I choose to play as a DPS. I think thats letting the trolls win.

I am trying to establish if Templars really and and truly can be DPS.

They can...all classes can DPS, tank or heal. But not all classes and/or builds are optimal for these roles. If you want to Templar DPS in trials, you'll have to run with a group that knows you.

well trials are out - I dont have friends that play this game.

If you're on the NA Server and are with the Ebonheart Pact, send "@Khivas" in game and we'll talk.

I'm one of the few DPS Templars in existence and my guild not only lets me run AA and Hel Ra with them, they encourage it. My DPS is usually around 600 to 1k depending on how much I'm running around and what fight it is, and with my 2H and Bow, I can offer some surprisingly decent CC to loose adds and hard single target DPS when crunchtime rolls around.

I will say this though, as a Templar you will most certainly work harder than any other class to get what you want, but that is no excuse as to you not being able to DPS. Also keep an eye out for 1.6 where @ZoS said they're take a look at Class Abilities, so basically for Christmas we're gonna be getting buffs.

Oh and one more thing, as some have said @Salacious‌, you may want to ditch the sword and board and aim for a staff or other melee weapon, as a tank's weapon in the hands of a DPS tend to make the tank very nervous.
    Bobbity Boop, this game might become poop, but I'll still play because I'm just a pile of goop!
  • Salacious
    Salacious
    ✭✭✭

Oh and one more thing, as some have said @Salacious‌, you may want to ditch the sword and board and aim for a staff or other melee weapon, as a tank's weapon in the hands of a DPS tend to make the tank very nervous.

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard - one handed weapons with shield give me (IMO and Experience) faster Attack Speed. I refuse to use a staff because then im auto healer. F** That.

I would also consider using two handed weapons - but they require stam to get proper attacks out where as single handed with sheild allow me to have some way to attack when they get to close faster then two handed,
    Edited by Salacious on October 30, 2014 11:25PM
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a templar healer, I have restore staff on one bar and Sword and Board on the other. I switch to sword and board when almost out of mana and use Blazing Shield then Spell Symmetry (and maybe cast Absorbs Magic) to get mana without losing health (even if I am getting hit).

Sword and Board is not just for the tank. This also allows me to survive if the tank gets one shotted by something, as the block passives with the templar passives allows you to take a lot of damage and get the tank back up.

We sometimes allow a templar DPS into trial runs as long as they cast Luminous Shards on the tank the whole time, this allows the templar healers to just do pure healing. But AA and Hel Ra runs are easy theses days, so the little less dps from having one templar dps is not a big issue, but if you had 12 templars......
    Edited by Natjur on October 30, 2014 11:58PM
  • Salacious
    Salacious
    ✭✭✭
    Natjur wrote: »

We sometimes allow a templar DPS into trial runs as long as they cast Luminous Shards on the tank the whole time, this allows the templar healers to just do pure healing. But AA and Hel Ra runs are easy theses days, so the little less dps from having one templar dps is not a big issue, but if you had 12 templars......

Thats a joke right - As a DPS my main goal is to kill things your tank is stopping from killing me. Not heal people - unless the healer dies.