The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Templars in PVE are only suppose to be healers?

Salacious
Salacious
✭✭✭
So I have been running some dungeons and exploring the world and enjoying my time in the game - But I every time I group and a player is being attacked, I get yelled at because I am carrying and wearing the wrong equipment.

According to the ESO Community (not every one, just the couple hundred I run across when I group, do group content or participate) I am a templar, this mean I need to have a staff, light armour, magic points and heal spells with some offence but mostly heal. If I see a player down - I need to heal them.

If I want to be DPS I need to play a different class.

Um ....

No.

How does that make sense - ok so templars have the majority of the healing spells - Sorc. is the most powerful class for casters (IMO) and are better for healing IMO. I a play ranged DPS mostly focusing on DOTS and I carry a sword and shield should you get close enough to me. I focus all my points into magic with a couple in stam. I also wear 3 peices of light, the rest heavy.

Yet I am constantly told, and I quote: You are doing it wrong - GTFO.

I am kicked from groups, guilds and yelled at in zone chat when "grouping" with other players. Even Sorc. yells at me.

Can some one tell me whats up with this community? Am I legitimately doing it wrong? or am I running into trolls?
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, people mostly want Templar to heal. There are a few really solid DPS specs out there for a Templar, but unless you are a guild leader and can do what you want, people are generally going to expect you to be a healer if you are just joining a random group of strangers.

In my experience the only people that will allow a Templar to dps without complaining are people that know them and are aware that they know how to dps properly on their Templar.
    Edited by timidobserver on October 19, 2014 6:35PM
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Salacious
    Salacious
    ✭✭✭
    I find this extremly unfair, while yes we have the most healing spells. it makes no sense that we are then given as many offensive spells as we are if our expected roll is healer. I refuse to be anything more then a DPS, I do cary a healing spell and it does heal all allies, but I don't focus on healing. I focus on killing and killing fast.
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Salacious wrote: »
    I find this extremly unfair, while yes we have the most healing spells. it makes no sense that we are then given as many offensive spells as we are if our expected roll is healer. I refuse to be anything more then a DPS, I do cary a healing spell and it does heal all allies, but I don't focus on healing. I focus on killing and killing fast.

Cool, one step you can take it letting your group know that you are dps well in advance of going into the dungeon or whatever it is you are doing. So, as soon as the group is formed, make sure that everyone knows and understands that you are not a healer.

Another step would be finding a good guild and focusing on running with them.
    Edited by timidobserver on October 19, 2014 6:43PM

• Aeratus
    Aeratus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templars can do good dps, but from what I've seen, only a select few are capable of such. Based on this general trend, people get suspicious when they see a random Templar who they do not know.

If the Templar is one I know who has proven to be good at dps, there is obviously no issue. In a four-man group, I can generally tell how much dps the other person is doing when I'm playing as the other dps.
    Edited by Aeratus on October 19, 2014 6:43PM
  • Salacious
    Salacious
    ✭✭✭
    obviously nightblades are gonna do 6x more, same with DK and Sorc. But I would not discount the templar and their abilities, random or not.
  • Tripwyr
    Tripwyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DK ~= Templar > NB >>> Sorc in Trial DPS.

The problem is that Templar DPS is very difficult to perform compared to other classes. Additionally, most strong Templar DPS builds are medium armor hybrids which is not well accepted in the current state of the game.

Remember: Sorcs are garbage.
    Alacrity Founder | Forum Emperor
    World First Veteran Dragonstar Arena

Tripwyr Manawrath - AD NA Sorcerer, Former Emperor of Haderus; Former Emperor of Hopesfire, First Cycle
    Tripwyr Flamewrath - AD NA Dragon Knight, Former Emperor of Thornblade, First Cycle
    Imperial Tripwyr - AD NA Templar, Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade
    Ripwyr - DC NA Templar
    Nyrv - EP NA Sorcerer

I am of the firm opinion that subtracting "raging stupidity" from anyone's voice can only cause them to sound more like myself.
  • Salacious
    Salacious
    ✭✭✭
    I watch sorcs come by me and obliterate everything in their path same with DK and nightblade and I can usually take down a five man group of enemies rather easily with my spells and ultimate. But sorcs seem to do one hit kill all damage
  • B11zzard
    B11zzard
    ✭✭
    If I want to be DPS I need to play a different class.

This.
    Zard- V14 Templar - EU - IddQd

Sanctum Ophidia - First EU kill
  • Salacious
    Salacious
    ✭✭✭
    I am not going to bow to the community telling me I am a failure at a class because I choose to play as a DPS. I think thats letting the trolls win.

I am trying to establish if Templars really and and truly can be DPS.
  • Tripwyr
    Tripwyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This might help:
    http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/crusader-templar-2h-pve-melee-dps-800-1400-single-target/

I really don't know why people think Sorcs are good for anything at all. They are outclassed in every regard for everything except hitting really hard with a projectile that takes forever to cast. They're also above average at running away.

If your goal is to deal PvE DPS, I recommend picking any class except Sorcerer.
    Edited by Tripwyr on October 19, 2014 7:37PM

Tripwyr Manawrath - AD NA Sorcerer, Former Emperor of Haderus; Former Emperor of Hopesfire, First Cycle
    Tripwyr Flamewrath - AD NA Dragon Knight, Former Emperor of Thornblade, First Cycle
    Ripwyr - DC NA Templar
    Nyrv - EP NA Sorcerer

I am of the firm opinion that subtracting "raging stupidity" from anyone's voice can only cause them to sound more like myself.
  • Aeratus
    Aeratus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not going to bow to the community telling me I am a failure at a class because I choose to play as a DPS. I think thats letting the trolls win.

Templar dps is kind of an enigma to me. Most people out there will tell you that they can't dps, and this seems to be the case in general, but I see some templars that seem to be ridiculously good at dps. I wish I could tell you more, but my Templar is too low level for me to understand the class.
  • kewl
    kewl
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They can...all classes can DPS, tank or heal. But not all classes and/or builds are optimal for these roles. If you want to Templar DPS in trials, you'll have to run with a group that knows you.
    Edited by kewl on October 19, 2014 7:44PM
  • Salacious
    Salacious
    ✭✭✭
    kewl wrote: »

They can...all classes can DPS, tank or heal. But not all classes and/or builds are optimal for these roles. If you want to Templar DPS in trials, you'll have to run with a group that knows you.

well trials are out - I dont have friends that play this game.
  • tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭

every class can heal almost like us, can tank like us but we cant have half of their DPS.
    theres something wrong there.
    Edited by tplink3r1 on October 19, 2014 7:50PM
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
  • Salacious
    Salacious
    ✭✭✭
    apparently this is a typical MMO where you must have a healer, tank and DPS, but from the way its advertised, every one can be anything.
  • Tripwyr
    Tripwyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tplink3r1 wrote: »

every class can heal almost like us, can tank like us but we cant have half of their DPS.

Templar DPS is competitive with NB and DK, and higher than Sorc (the worst DPS class). Just because you haven't figured it out doesn't mean it isn't possible.

Ripwyr - DC NA Templar
    Nyrv - EP NA Sorcerer

• tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tripwyr wrote: »

Templar DPS is competitive with NB and DK, and higher than Sorc (the worst DPS class). Just because you haven't figured it out doesn't mean it isn't possible.
    please, show me a video of a templar dealing 2k DPS.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGC5FMWGTVA = 2,8k dps DK
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT9v1BEaYeg = 1.2k dps templar
    note that he used a LOT of exploits do achieve 1.2k dps.
    Edited by tplink3r1 on October 19, 2014 8:39PM
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
  • Salacious
    Salacious
    ✭✭✭
    I think 1.2k is pretty good.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    apparently this is a typical MMO where you must have a healer, tank and DPS, but from the way its advertised, every one can be anything.

You can , when you are solo, but that is it.

When you start to play in a group then yes you must pick a role and better be good at it , the players will make the rules and most players dont care you want to play the way you want , atleast not in their PUG groups , ofc unless the way you want to play is proved to work just fine.

Play the way you want is a nice "idea" the devs came up with to get sales. It is neat , but in the end since it is not well balanced enough that all classes can perform the roles more or less with the same efficiency , ofc the playerbase itself starts to reject the idea.
    Edited by Nox_Aeterna on October 19, 2014 8:49PM
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Salacious
    Salacious
    ✭✭✭
    I still don't think regardless of the above poster - that templars should be restricted to healing only.
  • Jahoel
    Jahoel
    ✭✭✭

Such as Explosion causing 42% of the damage that I deal on a 6.2 second fight, with full PvP buffs?

Oh, that was the DK. I, the Templar you are claiming to have 'exploited' on a simple mammoth demonstration kill, had no Explosion procs on a ~14 second fight with 0 Cyrodiil buffs.

Explosion is not an exploit, but I think anyone who knows what it is and how it works understands what I'm saying here.

In a burst fight with a competent raid group, I am rarely more than 200 DPS behind any DK numbers I have ever seen (excluding, of course, pre-standard-nerf DKs)

In a sustained fight, there is even less variation - I am typically within 100 DPS of some of the best Dragon Knights.

We are not taking into account that I am not the best Templar player. I have run with, and seen, Templar who are parsing 100 more DPS than me on average. With an assortment of builds, weapons, and armor types.

I'm not interested in this non-stop, insubstantial argument; we are all entitled to our own opinions about the classes, and are all subject to differing experiences in regards to DPS balance. But please cite the 'exploits' that I am using if you are going to make the claim. Hold it down, @Tripwyr. You speak mostly truth here.
    Edited by Jahoel on October 19, 2014 9:56PM
  • Aeratus
    Aeratus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Such as Explosion causing 42% of the damage that I deal on a 6.2 second fight
    That explosion (random super-proc) in the DK video is ridiculous.

But you won't see that in any normal encounter, since that proc isn't possible on anything that doesn't have a fire weakness attribute.
  • tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭

please, show me a video of a templar dealing 2k DPS.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGC5FMWGTVA = 2,8k dps DK
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT9v1BEaYeg = 1.2k dps templar
    Jahoel wrote: »

Such as Explosion causing 42% of the damage that I deal on a 6.2 second fight, with full PvP buffs?

Oh, that was the DK. I, the Templar you are claiming to have 'exploited' on a simple mammoth demonstration kill, had no Explosion procs on a ~14 second fight with 0 Cyrodiil buffs.

Explosion is not an exploit, but I think anyone who knows what it is and how it works understands what I'm saying here.

In a burst fight with a competent raid group, I am rarely more than 200 DPS behind any DK numbers I have ever seen (excluding, of course, pre-standard-nerf DKs)

In a sustained fight, there is even less variation - I am typically within 100 DPS of some of the best Dragon Knights.

We are not taking into account that I am not the best Templar player. I have run with, and seen, Templar who are parsing 100 more DPS than me on average. With an assortment of builds, weapons, and armor types.

I'm not interested in this non-stop, insubstantial argument; we are all entitled to our own opinions about the classes, and are all subject to differing experiences in regards to DPS balance. But please cite the 'exploits' that I am using if you are going to make the claim. Hold it down, @Tripwyr. You speak mostly truth here.
    i was talking about the cancel cast/animation cancel,
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This might help:
    http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/crusader-templar-2h-pve-melee-dps-800-1400-single-target/

I really don't know why people think Sorcs are good for anything at all. They are outclassed in every regard for everything except hitting really hard with a projectile that takes forever to cast. They're also above average at running away.

If your goal is to deal PvE DPS, I recommend picking any class except Sorcerer.

Maybe, but Sorcs are pretty much essential due to negate and NBs are essential due to veil. Negate and Veil can compensate for average or poor dps. On the other hand, there is really no good reason to bring a Templar DPS unless you know them and know that they are really good at it. They don't really bring anything to the group with regard to Hel Ra and AA.
    Edited by timidobserver on October 20, 2014 12:27AM

• Voodoo
    Voodoo
    ✭✭✭✭
    nope.
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Can some one tell me whats up with this community? Am I legitimately doing it wrong? or am I running into trolls?

It is full of elitist pricks, unfortunately. I'd say report each and every one of them in-game for harassment.Then, if you're on the EU server, send me a PM with your in-game account name and I'll send you an invite to the guild I'm in.
  • Fruitmass
    Fruitmass
    ✭✭✭✭
    OP don't get discouraged. I've run plenty of groups with dps tmplars and more often than not they do just fine. Several times I've run in three and four man groups where all of us are temps and we come out smelling like a rose.

Sometimes people are looking for a specific class/role/ect, for the sake of clearing achievements and such so sadly your going to be passed up from time to time. However most players are fairly open minded and excepting and if your really trying to do your part in a group you likely wont catch any flak.

Unfortunately much to all our eternal consternation there are people who are simply unreasonable. They demand a level of perfection that is well nigh unreachable by most mortals. And they get right buggery when they don't get it.
    Edited by Fruitmass on October 20, 2014 6:02AM
    Beware all ye who log on for here there be typos...
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The answer to the question in the topic of the thread is no, templars also make great, awesome, absolutely immortal tanks:P But worse dps than other classes, or at least harder-to-manage dps from what I've seen - very few (good) templar dps out there.
    I used to think it extremely unfair(I'm a sorc), but if you actually think about it...I tried tanking on my sorc, and it's really hard. Not impossible, but hard. I have virtually no self heals(aside from Crit surge but it relies on me attacking AND critting which is not smth I can do much while tanking), unlike, say, my favourite templar tank which can survive literally without any heals on my part AND do some off heals in a pinch.

So if you think about it that way...they take away from your dps but add to your healing/tanking. They take away from sorc tanking but add to dps. That actually sounds kind of fair, even my templar tank agrees with that.

Oh, and much as it pains me to admit it, good templar heals is always better than equally good sorc heals because, mainly and mostly, Breath of Life. You have a non aoe targeted heal which can pull people out from pretty much death to full health. I don't have anything remotedly close to that.

That said, no matter what you do, people you run with do sound rude, I'd never say something like that. I might've politely advised you to try full scale tanking though, especially if you already use s&b, since you'd probably feel much more comfortable in that role as a templar.
    Edited by Magdalina on October 20, 2014 9:44AM
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    One skill line of Healing is not all the healing in the game, but there are a lot of people who see the fact that the other classes can only have one skill-line of healing via the staff as opposed to the Templars two skill-lines, including a staff, as "proof" that Templars are healers. It's a POV, based on the idea that the DK support SL is Defense, the Sorc support SL is utility and CC, the Night blades support SL is Buff/Debuff and the Templars have two support SL with CC and Healing.

Truth be told here, I actually prefer running the Argonian Templar Healer to any of my other characters ATM because I've been winning the main PVE fights with less raging on my part (For instance that moment when you have the NPC down to 5% of its health and it somehow kills you when you were on 30+% of your health). My Sorcerer, DK and Nightblade all struggled with the Castle of Worms where the Templar simply went in and got Tharn out (The sorcerer struggled because I didn't know about Silver Bolts at the time).

Personally I don't see quite what they have an issue with, it's not about what you play in this game so much as how well you play. I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't be happy with my Templar Healer build because I haven't set it up for group healing, it's in the PvE zones and group healing would make it harder to play.

# Edit: About the only place I can practice group healing are in the Public/Group Dungeons or at the Dolmens.
    Edited by Woolenthreads on October 20, 2014 10:57AM
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can do very nice DPS on a Templar, and sorry but it does require a staff :) because 2H hybrid build is very nice and all, but when you're in a ranged or moving fight: it's crap.

With a staff I've seen Templars pulling more than 1K DPS on most AA bosses (1,8k on first boss) and ~900 on last boss (which is still nice DPS and prolly superior to most DKs & NBs out there who don't know what they are doing), but, at equal skill, you have less potential for max DPS than a NB or a DK and are less useful than a sorc since he's gonna DPS & Off heal to use Negate while you can't reload Nova as fast while DPSing.

People looking for optimization won't want to play with you as a DPS since templars are more optimized for healing and not DPSing (and Breath of Life is op in many situations so other classes can't heal as well).

I know I don't want to go in a dungeon with a Templar DPS period and I don't want to do trial speed runs with a Templar DPS if I have an equally good NB or DK available.
    Edited by TehMagnus on October 20, 2014 12:37PM