The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Blocking And Attacking

• sarttsarttsarttub17_ESO
    you can't block forever in this game..

I wish people would quit with that fairytale
    yes you can.
  • Jacques Berge
    Jacques Berge
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hahahaha.... I just fought some PoS NB who blocked and spammed hidden blade... haha didnt work out for him... video to follow. I understand DKs doing this, they really don't have too many exciting moves... But a NB.... UGH!!! Sickens me. Then, he talked trash about how I was healed by a buddy... DOES NO ONE USE POTS??... I have a passive for pots, I will always use them.
    "Shadow hide you"

Jacques Berge - v14 NB - DC
  • Vizier
    Vizier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two-Dogs wrote: »
    When blocking + attack becomes first tactical choice, the obvious choice, the 'smart way of playing'- it's no longer a choice.
    I don't mind that people can block and attack, but I think there should some tradeoffs. Like doing less damage with abilities while blocking and/or reducing the amount of damage blocked while using abilities.

Something needs to change, aye.

The problem as I see it isn't that a DK or Temp can use their stam for pretty much block only but that classes just are not balanced yet. For instance a Sorc can BE, damage/stun/gain distance, whereas a NB has no true option to deal with this basic tactic. Primary reason? Cloak is totally broken still, so you can't cloak and get distance to breath or attack. You might be able to cloak spam and get away but has a very low percent chance of success vs a competent player.

The problem with my above argument is there are some NB builds that block and spam Siphon/Funnel Health to pretty decent effect. Most DK will laugh at that though.

I think there are some things missing from the game that greatly effect balance that we just don't hear about from ZOS. For instance we have the ability to make poisons/debuffs but no way to apply or use them in combat. If NB or stealthy stam builds were able to drain stamina we'd see a different thread here maybe.

When the do introduce the ability to do these things I sure hope it's tied to a class skill rather than open skill for every class. That would just further imbalance things...but I digress.
  • Jacques Berge
    Jacques Berge
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've fought 3 block spammers recently... Including the video guy... And I'd have to say, with out shades and flurry I don't know how any class could bypass a block spammer before he killed you... Unless maybe you block spam right back... Usually after a flurry or 2 I see that shield drop... Then I stun and kill... But I'm hitting some 18-20 times in 3 seconds. No one is blocking that many hits and then cc breaking. I can beat the build... But that's cause my very specific build is the flawed mechanic's one weakness.
    "Shadow hide you"

Jacques Berge - v14 NB - DC
  • TheBull
    TheBull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blazing Shield got fixed, can't spam and build it up anymore, so unless you got a better argument, I'll just leave this thread right here.
    It still bugs out. I took a 3.7k one to the face about a week ago.
    Edited by TheBull on October 7, 2014 5:16AM
  • Tarkit
    Tarkit
    ✭✭
    Block relies on stamina. it runs out. and quite simply block has a movement penalty so just attack from a distance, not that hard.
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tarkit wrote: »
    Block relies on stamina. it runs out.

That depends on class and build really. Sure if it's a caster that's not a DK, they cant keep blocking pro-actively while casting. They will run out of stamina and go splat.

But not so easy v.s. blocking DK.They have such great synergy with block and passives for stamina regain. You have to kite while actively draining their stamina with Caltrops, Shades or Streak spam. While the DK ironically have the best stamina drain in the game to counter = Talon spam.

This is not a nerf DK post. I'm just saying, it's not always that easy.
  • Brasseurfb16_ESO
    Brasseurfb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    eliisra wrote: »
    Tarkit wrote: »
    Block relies on stamina. it runs out.

That depends on class and build really. Sure if it's a caster that's not a DK, they cant keep blocking pro-actively while casting. They will run out of stamina and go splat.

But not so easy v.s. blocking DK.They have such great synergy with block and passives for stamina regain. You have to kite while actively draining their stamina with Caltrops, Shades or Streak spam. While the DK ironically have the best stamina drain in the game to counter = Talon spam.

This is not a nerf DK post. I'm just saying, it's not always that easy.

Yeah and you should also watch out which kind of blocker you are fighting. I saw recently a wave of Twin Sister shield builds on Haderus and they literaly melt down anything attacking them while blocking. Very dangerous especialy when your build has poor sustain.